Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Warning when leaving a mark with low mana

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Scenario: You're about to face a hard boss. You might die. So you mark your spot so you can come right back. Feeling reassured, you join the battle, and then you see it ... your mana globe is pitifully low and your realize there's no way to complete your fight.

I think if you have low mana, you should receive a warning message before marking your spot. If you want to do it anyway, then you can, but a bunch of us who got distracted from our mana globes would really appreciate a reminder (e.g., if it costs 90 mana to leave a mark and you have 120 left).

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
I'll admit this.. I've done the same exact thing before. I would also think it would be a vital thing for wizards' across the spiral to have, whereas some of us have done that so many times and rush through battles or when they "farm" and run out of mana or go close to it. it would definitely be nice to have a warning to remind players to refill their mana when they have less than 15-20% of their mana max amount remaining. It would mean less chances of fleeing from an unwanted battle when you realize you're too low on mana.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Lucas Rain on Nov 11, 2013 wrote:
Scenario: You're about to face a hard boss. You might die. So you mark your spot so you can come right back. Feeling reassured, you join the battle, and then you see it ... your mana globe is pitifully low and your realize there's no way to complete your fight.

I think if you have low mana, you should receive a warning message before marking your spot. If you want to do it anyway, then you can, but a bunch of us who got distracted from our mana globes would really appreciate a reminder (e.g., if it costs 90 mana to leave a mark and you have 120 left).
KI should not cater to people who don't pay attention. Going into battle with low/no mana is your own fault for not paying attention. Marking a location takes a ton of mana, and if you don't realize it's gone, then you didn't pay attention. Part of fighting a monster when you think you'll die, is making sure you have all the right spells, gear health and mana.

However, IF this option is put into the game, I want an option to turn the warning OFF

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
That would be a waste of time to put that in, You have eyes, look first, then choose. Geez it's that simple.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Oh, then maybe we should do away with the "pick up all items" warning, and the "don't feed your arena gear to your pet because it won't like it" warning, and the "you are about to enter a dungeon" warning?

People sometimes don't pay attention in games. Sometimes they don't use their eyes. Let's not pretend like we're above this, with searing hot laser focus 100% of the day.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Lucas Rain on Nov 12, 2013 wrote:
Oh, then maybe we should do away with the "pick up all items" warning, and the "don't feed your arena gear to your pet because it won't like it" warning, and the "you are about to enter a dungeon" warning?

People sometimes don't pay attention in games. Sometimes they don't use their eyes. Let's not pretend like we're above this, with searing hot laser focus 100% of the day.
at some point, players must be responsible for themselves instead of KI trying to make the game idiot proof. Once you make it idiot proof, a bigger idiot comes along. Since they marked the location, they can flee, get mana, go back, drop another location marker and (I feel) lesson learned

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Simple solution. When you mark, use a potion. If you don't have any, port back to main area and play some potion motion to level 3. It takes all of 60 seconds to refill all your potions. Then port back to mark. There's really no need for yet another added warning window to pop up and slow everyone down because you don't pay attention.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
This is a safeguard that would prevent a relatively infrequent occurrence, though thoroughly annoying: running out of mana when you fail to watch your mana globe depleting. It doesn't slow anyone down or encourage people to be idiots. To be clear, no one is suggesting you need a warning on everything--walking forward, typing a message, and other things you do all the time.

Just look at the other warnings and notifications in the game, of which there are plenty, and you see a similar quality: "Do you really want to teleport to X friend?" "Do you really want to delete your wizard?" "Do you really want to buy this thing you just said you want to buy in bazaar?" "Do you really want to log out?"

This game is full of safeguards. These safeguards are here so people can avoid making mistakes. Don't just act like mistakes and accidents can't happen if you pay attention hard enough.

Delver
Apr 21, 2012
What I do, Mark, teleport to the 'commons' area, collect blue wisps and fill your health, teleport back, leave another mark, that much out of your whole mana is rarely going to make that much of a difference, I think.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
Lucas Rain on Nov 12, 2013 wrote:

You're absolutely right. Seeing how kids and adults alike play this game, sometimes kids don't think twice before marking spots, but we're all different when it comes to this subject. Not everyone can focus and pay attention to their mana, because we're all forgetful at some point.

to the first part of this "quote".. for those who think it's not necessary for kingsisle to implement the warning, then they definitely should put "options" in the game privacy/advanced section to be able to turn off or on the warnings, but wouldn't that make it easier for those who don't want the warnings to appear? since some actually like the idea.

but I do agree with you there, Lucas.

Explorer
Sep 02, 2012
I think they should add this in, but not for having low mana. I agree, just pay attention. I think they should put it in so that when you click Mark Location, it says "Are you sure?" "Yes" "No". The reason is because if you click by accident, you can click "No", and keep the desired location. This has happened many times because of my mouse slipping when I go to teleport to my home, making it click Mark Location.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
Plantini on Nov 13, 2013 wrote:
I think they should add this in, but not for having low mana. I agree, just pay attention. I think they should put it in so that when you click Mark Location, it says "Are you sure?" "Yes" "No". The reason is because if you click by accident, you can click "No", and keep the desired location. This has happened many times because of my mouse slipping when I go to teleport to my home, making it click Mark Location.
Good point there, Plantini. I have done that as well, whereas "certain" keys on the keyboard can also be pressed on accident and you could mark without realizing it until it is too late.
I do agree, they should implement the warning or the question of if you're sure that you want to mark or not.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Plantini on Nov 13, 2013 wrote:
Agreed on this point alone. The lack of mana is a pointless reason, but marking over another important mark is very valid. I agree on the yes or no for mark location.

Explorer
May 17, 2010
seethe42 on Nov 15, 2013 wrote:
Agreed on this point alone. The lack of mana is a pointless reason, but marking over another important mark is very valid. I agree on the yes or no for mark location.
I agree that a confirmation to mark this location would be a helpful option (i.e. be able to turn the confirmation on/off in the settings). In addition to accidental mouse clicks you can also accidentally hit the 'page down' key.
Slightly off topic is I wish they would have a confirmation for using the health bottle or at least prevent you from using one when you have completely full health and mana. I have multiple occasions that due to internet lag have clicked on the bottles (instead of what I was trying to or thought I was clicking), or accidentally clicked ctrl-O multiple times, or thought I was clicking on a name in the chat window but that name was over the bottles, and in each case wasted 2 or 3 bottles in a row. After the first one, really? I just used a bottle and have completely full health and mana, but yet it goes ahead and empties the next one or two ... why?