Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Crown Buyback Program

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 30, 2011
As an adult player who spends a decent amount on crowns for myself and for my children I think a crown buyback program would be nice. Many families/players that can afford to play the game simply cannot afford to purchase crowns. Crown items are nice to have and I propose a system in which items collected from battles can be traded back to the crown shop for some percentage of their worth. The exact percentage to be determined by KI, but as an example...You receive an item valued at 1000 crowns which can be sold back at (for the sake of argument) 200 crowns. I think this would stimulate game play/time for players who simply cannot afford the extra money for crowns or those leary of buying crowns. Also, more game time equals a greater chance someone will actually buy crowns. It's a win win situation.

One other major benefit for those who do buy crowns (like myself). I tend to buy crowns and "hang on" to them for quite a while because I dont want to waste them on items I will later regret. I would be more apt to buy more items if I knew there was a program like this. It wouldn't be a full refund, but just knowing that I would get back a small percentage of my investment would make me less leary to purchase items.

Delver
Feb 28, 2012
I think people would exploit this. For example: there are many bosses who drop king parsley seeds and others who drop couch potatoes seeds. (both also available for purchase in the crown shop). It would be too easy to farm the bosses, get about 50 or more, then sell back for crowns.

Mastermind
Jun 01, 2009
The Workman on May 17, 2013 wrote:
As an adult player who spends a decent amount on crowns for myself and for my children I think a crown buyback program would be nice. Many families/players that can afford to play the game simply cannot afford to purchase crowns. Crown items are nice to have and I propose a system in which items collected from battles can be traded back to the crown shop for some percentage of their worth. The exact percentage to be determined by KI, but as an example...You receive an item valued at 1000 crowns which can be sold back at (for the sake of argument) 200 crowns. I think this would stimulate game play/time for players who simply cannot afford the extra money for crowns or those leary of buying crowns. Also, more game time equals a greater chance someone will actually buy crowns. It's a win win situation.

One other major benefit for those who do buy crowns (like myself). I tend to buy crowns and "hang on" to them for quite a while because I dont want to waste them on items I will later regret. I would be more apt to buy more items if I knew there was a program like this. It wouldn't be a full refund, but just knowing that I would get back a small percentage of my investment would make me less leary to purchase items.
Wonderful idea! I have thought of this before, Like "We can earn crowns items from battles so why can't we make the items into crowns?"

Survivor
Feb 02, 2010
yes i agree. though since king. would prolly gain less money i would sugest to make the conversion not too high i.e. make it a 2.5 percent of the item worth in gold. Or people would go mad and convert all there items to crowns.

Survivor
Jul 09, 2012
This is a great system! But this shouldn't involve pets, If it dose people can just sit and bread of crown pets a lot just to get crowns, In conclusion, This is one great idea!

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Excellent idea! And one I doubt KI will ever pay attention to, sadly.

Survivor
Jul 30, 2011
babybuddy123 on May 17, 2013 wrote:
yes i agree. though since king. would prolly gain less money i would sugest to make the conversion not too high i.e. make it a 2.5 percent of the item worth in gold. Or people would go mad and convert all there items to crowns.
The program wouldn't give you gold, only crowns.

Survivor
Jul 30, 2011
grahambhg on May 17, 2013 wrote:
I think people would exploit this. For example: there are many bosses who drop king parsley seeds and others who drop couch potatoes seeds. (both also available for purchase in the crown shop). It would be too easy to farm the bosses, get about 50 or more, then sell back for crowns.
You will never have a shortage of people trying to exploit the system. Either in real life or a game. I'm sure KI could find a way to minimize it.

Survivor
Jul 30, 2011
RavenLady777 on May 18, 2013 wrote:
Excellent idea! And one I doubt KI will ever pay attention to, sadly.
I wouldn't be too sure of that. KI seems to have plenty of talented minds.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Like the OP, I am a player who *does* buy crowns and holds onto them for long periods of time/is quite leery of buying items with them (for fear of "wasting" them), and I think this is a wonderful idea. A lot of players are kids, who either 1) can't afford crowns, or 2) whose purchases of are limited by the whims of the adult who controls the account.

Here is my proposed addition:

To limit abuse of the system, only no-auction items (stuff that can't be sold at the bazaar) can be "up-cycled" for crowns. Here's how it would work:

1 n/a item= 1 crown
5 n/a items=10 crowns
10 n/a items=20 crowns
15 n/a items=30 crowns, etc.

for crowns items (from packs, the shop, or drops):

1 crowns item= 1/2 the # of crowns that item is worth
(ie: evil magma peas~ 1250 crowns in the shop would give you back 625 crowns if you up-cycled).

crowns items purchased for gold in the shop would not be eligible for up-cycling.

-von

Defender
Jul 03, 2012
I like the idea because I get rewarded no auction and crown items a lot from bosses. Most of it I can't even wear.

Explorer
Sep 05, 2010
Like somebody above said, people can exploit King Parsley seeds.

I suggest bosses like say the waterworks bosses or the final dungeon in Celestia's boss can have a chance to drop crown certificates that will give a random amount of 1-1000 crowns. 1000 crowns being the rarest random amount and dropped more often by the HARDEST bosses in the game.

Explorer
Mar 18, 2012
Yes, this idea is very reasonable! I think you should indeed be able to get back your crowns if your out, and of course like you said, by selling another item back.

Survivor
Jun 01, 2011
I think the crowns buyback program is great! But I think that if you have a crowns pet the higher lvl it is work more crowns. This would make the crowns buyback program great.

Defender
Jun 30, 2009
i also agree with this idea but only make it so that only gear that is worth crowns can be traded back for about 20% or the value you could buy them for so that way you do get some but not alot. and by gear i mean hat,robe,boots,atheme,amulet,ring, and deck nothing else. it would be also good for new people getting soe little value crown gear to maybe think more about a possible investment in money towards the game to get crowns for better gear and such. because when i first bought the game i thought that crowns were a waste of money until i won some crown gear from a boss in dragonspyre and thought hmm maybe this isnt as bad or worthless as i thought. so i bought some i cant remember the name of the set but it helped so much. but my point is that it is a good idea because 1. most new members probably dont think much of it so wont waste cash on them 2. once you can trade some crown gear to get better stuff the new members will more than likly invest in some crowns using real cash 3. it will also have the same effect as in #2 on the already existing members and keep them coming back and investing time and money in the game making it easier for KI to update teh game further inthus gaining more money repeating the cycle. so KI please think about this idea i think everyone would appreciate this.

Sincerely, Jack Dragonbreath level 84

Survivor
Jul 30, 2011
Dr Von on May 20, 2013 wrote:
Like the OP, I am a player who *does* buy crowns and holds onto them for long periods of time/is quite leery of buying items with them (for fear of "wasting" them), and I think this is a wonderful idea. A lot of players are kids, who either 1) can't afford crowns, or 2) whose purchases of are limited by the whims of the adult who controls the account.

To limit abuse of the system, only no-auction items (stuff that can't be sold at the bazaar) can be "up-cycled" for crowns. Here's how it would work:

1 n/a item= 1 crown
5 n/a items=10 crowns
10 n/a items=20 crowns

(ie: evil magma peas~ 1250 crowns in the shop would give you back 625 crowns if you up-cycled).

crowns items purchased for gold in the shop would not be eligible for up-cycling.

-von
Excellent
input. Keep the idea fresh on this board.

Survivor
Jul 30, 2011
Zach7519 on May 25, 2013 wrote:
I think the crowns buyback program is great! But I think that if you have a crowns pet the higher lvl it is work more crowns. This would make the crowns buyback program great.
The crowns you get would be proportional to the value of something sold. It should be a very low percentage so that it would not to be too easy to acquire crowns.

Explorer
Sep 01, 2012
I don't think so, Crowns are supposed to be paid for with real money, And if we all get crowns for free, How will KingsIsle make money to keep the game going?
I actually would like this feature, Don't get me wrong, But it seems like too much.
Keep note that you can buy some mounts and packs with gold.
~SabrinaMisty, The koolest kitty around!

Delver
Oct 30, 2011
Dr Von on May 20, 2013 wrote:

1 n/a item= 1 crown
5 n/a items=10 crowns
10 n/a items=20 crowns

-von
With that system I would be stacking up 90000000000000000000 story houses with crowns.

Defender
Jul 26, 2009
grahambhg on May 17, 2013 wrote:
Its possible farming 24/7 to get 30 Couch potato seeds a week.
If this was implemented, it would have to be on truly dropped items not seeds.
that means that KP (The magical multiplying plant) Wont trade for crowns. but the sea dragon drop from celestia could be traded for 300 crowns. if its not on rare drops it will be exploited.

This will never happen because Ki will lose money to it. crown drops are just an alternative, and there is enough of them to keep us busy.

Eric Legendtamer (Level 90 ) (Level 76 ) (Level 50 ) (Level 30 ) (Level 20 )