Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical percentage doesn't work

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 19, 2013
I have 85% critical and when i add critical booster +20% for 4 rounds, i still don't get criticals, how is this even possible? It makes me want to quit the game all together, bosses are hard when your solo, and with no criticals it is very frustrating.

Explorer
Feb 10, 2009
Unfortunately, the Critical System doesn't work on a scale of 100. If you place your cursor over to your critical, it will tell you the actual percentage you get of casting a critical hit or heal. For example, my balance has 200 critical but only has about a 50% chance of a critical. Hope this helped!

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
JaggiKing on Mar 6, 2013 wrote:
I have 85% critical and when i add critical booster +20% for 4 rounds, i still don't get criticals, how is this even possible? It makes me want to quit the game all together, bosses are hard when your solo, and with no criticals it is very frustrating.
I am afraid you are confused, young wizard. Critical Percentage and Critical Rough Points are not the same thing. At all. As stated by our friend french123, if you move your curser on your critical rating, you will see the percentage of chances you will get a Critical.

Every 5 points of critical adds 1% chance of you to get a critical. So if we do the math, 85 Critical Points divided by 5 gives you a quotient of 17. S you have 17% of chances to get a Critical Hit/Heal.

If you use the spell Vengeance, which will add to you 20% chances of getting a critical, you will have 37% chances of getting a Critical Hit/Heal.

My critical is at 295 Points. 295 divided by 5 gives you 59. So I have 59% chances of getting a Critical. If I add the Vengeance spell, I will get 79% chances of getting a critical.

Hope this makes things clearer!

Defender
Jan 01, 2009
Why does this have to be so complicated? It is like learning 3D chess at warp factor four. :)

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
Michael Nightgem on Mar 8, 2013 wrote:
Why does this have to be so complicated? It is like learning 3D chess at warp factor four. :)
You have been given a tutorial on how to used critical and critical block rating. Next time try to actually READ the dialogue, what most people ignore.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Michael Nightgem on Mar 8, 2013 wrote:
I agree they should have just made it a % like everything else in game.

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
lastdaysgunslinger on Mar 17, 2013 wrote:
I agree they should have just made it a % like everything else in game.
Please take the time to read what other people have to offer.

It is not complicated if you have carefully read Diego's tutorial once you reach level 50.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
popcicool7777777 on Mar 17, 2013 wrote:

It is not complicated if you have carefully read Diego's tutorial once you reach level 50.
We read, i just agree that KI should have made it a % to be less complicated.
It isnt to difficult, Its about 4-5 points= 1% point but it still would have been easier with % rating.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
popcicool7777777 on Mar 17, 2013 wrote:

Unfortunately Diego's tutorial does not discuss this at all. The only mathematical information he provides regarding critical is:

"a critical damage spell does twice the normal damage..."

"a block prevents a successful critical..."

Much of what has been written on various threads is incorrect. Because the information is so "loosy goosy" I had to take time equiping various stuff just to figure it out.

It seems complicated to me because the critical conversion from points to percent is different for the different types of gear (hat, robe, boots, wand). And why are the conversion factors such weird numbers? It does not appear to be a straight forward conversion. It reminds me of sloppy software code that is presented as "complicated... you just wouldn't understand it". In this case "magic is mysterious". Sorry KI, but thats how it gets interpreted.

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
RottenHeart on Mar 20, 2013 wrote:
Unfortunately Diego's tutorial does not discuss this at all. The only mathematical information he provides regarding critical is:

"a critical damage spell does twice the normal damage..."

"a block prevents a successful critical..."

Much of what has been written on various threads is incorrect. Because the information is so "loosy goosy" I had to take time equiping various stuff just to figure it out.

It seems complicated to me because the critical conversion from points to percent is different for the different types of gear (hat, robe, boots, wand). And why are the conversion factors such weird numbers? It does not appear to be a straight forward conversion. It reminds me of sloppy software code that is presented as "complicated... you just wouldn't understand it". In this case "magic is mysterious". Sorry KI, but thats how it gets interpreted.
Thank you for your correction. I felt like that term had been all covered by Diego, but as you told me, I made a big mistake.

I provided the smallest and the most effective explanation I could think of for this delicate subject. By looking at the Quest Dialogue at the Central, I am awared that the Critical explanation is something that must be adressed by Kingsisle.

Thank you for your patience and for your politeliness.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
The reason it isn't a percent is because notice the difference between level 60 and 90.

Level 60: 5 points = 1%
Level 90: Not sure if 6 or 7 points = 1%. It's definitely not 5=1% though. It changes as you level. That's why level 88 PvP is better than 90 if you aren't using crowns gear or crowns wands. Although I would go to 90 personally...

Hope I could help:)

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Rony The Turtle on Mar 20, 2013 wrote:
The reason it isn't a percent is because notice the difference between level 60 and 90.

Level 90: Not sure if 6 or 7 points = 1%. It's definitely not 5=1% though. It changes as you level. That's why level 88 PvP is better than 90 if you aren't using crowns gear or crowns wands. Although I would go to 90 personally...

Well if that is true then that is another reason they should have made it a % to begin with to end any controversy.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Rony The Turtle on Mar 20, 2013 wrote:

Unfortunately I have only one wizard level 50+. Could Ronster's statements please be confirmed by equiping identical gear on multiple wizards (by shared banking it) and posting the stats? I'm sure many of us would hugely appreciate it.

Not that I doubt you Ronster, but if what you are saying is true I would like to have this confirmed to be true. Thats a huge game concept that is completely new to me and really ticks me off if true. The critical damage/resist concept redines the gameplay after level 60, and for basic stats to have significant hidden modifiers is... well... geez!

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
RottenHeart on Mar 21, 2013 wrote:
Unfortunately I have only one wizard level 50+. Could Ronster's statements please be confirmed by equiping identical gear on multiple wizards (by shared banking it) and posting the stats? I'm sure many of us would hugely appreciate it.

Not that I doubt you Ronster, but if what you are saying is true I would like to have this confirmed to be true. Thats a huge game concept that is completely new to me and really ticks me off if true. The critical damage/resist concept redines the gameplay after level 60, and for basic stats to have significant hidden modifiers is... well... geez!
But thats KI math.

Explorer
Mar 02, 2012
JaggiKing on Mar 6, 2013 wrote:
Just because you have a chance of 105% criticaling, doesn't mean you will. The critical rating isn't based off 100%+.