Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Can we ban people for gift begging?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
It's one of those things that everyone hates (unless they're the beggar). People who hang around Wizard City and beg people forever to buy them something. I know this this type of thing has been listed under "Not a report able offense" but it should be report able. First off, I'm sure that everyone (including Kingsisle) has heard of this and how annoying it is. But why isn't there anyway to stop or discourage this. Sure you can tell the person to stop but all that will likely happen is that they'll call you a jerk or switch realms and beg there. I know that you can't arrest people for being annoying but doesn't this count as extortion? They aren't using threats but they do try to guilt trip you while not leaving you alone. Not to mention, it makes the Commons area look like a slum in a backwater city with all these people begging you for stuff. The truly sad part is that homeless people in Vegas have more pride than these people. Before someone says "you can just ignore them" think about all the little kids who might have membership or crowns. Said kid could be approached by a beggar and actually buy him something from the crown shop thinking it's no big deal. A gift is something given from one to another, not something you ask for (Christmas and birthdays being a slight exception). Why allow beggars on the clean streets of Wizard City?

Delver
Mar 17, 2011
True Fire on Apr 16, 2014 wrote:
It's one of those things that everyone hates (unless they're the beggar). People who hang around Wizard City and beg people forever to buy them something. I know this this type of thing has been listed under "Not a report able offense" but it should be report able. First off, I'm sure that everyone (including Kingsisle) has heard of this and how annoying it is. But why isn't there anyway to stop or discourage this. Sure you can tell the person to stop but all that will likely happen is that they'll call you a jerk or switch realms and beg there. I know that you can't arrest people for being annoying but doesn't this count as extortion? They aren't using threats but they do try to guilt trip you while not leaving you alone. Not to mention, it makes the Commons area look like a slum in a backwater city with all these people begging you for stuff. The truly sad part is that homeless people in Vegas have more pride than these people. Before someone says "you can just ignore them" think about all the little kids who might have membership or crowns. Said kid could be approached by a beggar and actually buy him something from the crown shop thinking it's no big deal. A gift is something given from one to another, not something you ask for (Christmas and birthdays being a slight exception). Why allow beggars on the clean streets of Wizard City?
i wish ^ sad lee there doing nothing wrong there just asking for a gift
so no i don't think we can

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
No. We can't ban ANYONE. All we can do is send in a report and hope KI resolves this issue. Learn the correct term.

Survivor
Feb 02, 2010
I agree, and it's really annoying! It would be nice if there was a punishment or something, but there really isn't, since it isn't an offense. All we can do is pretty much Grin and Bear It! Tara PearlGem

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Ask them for TCs because you were going to use your crowns to buy packs and get more.
Steal TCs and laugh at them.
Beggars will go bankrupt.

Historian
May 15, 2009
I can't really speak from experience since I have very rarely come across beggars even when I am on the most popular servers, but then I don't ever really stick in wizard city since I am always moving from one area to another to continue my questing in places like khrysalis.

for me the most I ever really gift people is in the pet hatching center. if I find a wizard with a pet with all the ideal talents I want for my own pet I will ask them to hatch, often times offering to gift them a hatch timer reset as payment for taking their time and a fair amount of money out of their coin bag.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I wish this was reportable, but alas, t'is not.

I like gifting occasionally~ I usually send my friends something on their birthdays, or give little presents to random people who make my day. I once put forth a few suggestions to KI regarding this issue, namely:

1) allow gifting only to favourites (purple names) or accounts within the same family.

2) allow gifting to all, but it must be initiated by the giver; make begging a reportable offense, so that the phrase 'gift me' or any variants thereof would appear in red text; anyone brazen enough to ask around the filter could then be reported and sanctioned appropriately.

I try and avoid the common areas, but my noobs can't avoid it since they are questing there. If beggars have to put in the effort, the problem will diminish.

-von "problem solved, you're welcome" shadowsong

Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
Robobot1747 on Apr 16, 2014 wrote:
Ask them for TCs because you were going to use your crowns to buy packs and get more.
You're plan is genius!

Survivor
Apr 08, 2014
KI will not ban begging because if you gift the begger then KI has made money.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
This is not the only issue if you friend a high lvl wizard and they accept it ok, you think there being nice ,but they say gift them and if you dont they unfriend you this is not how a "kids game" should be like

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
I'm usually on the side of the annoyed regarding issues like this, but the whole begging issue is much ado about nothing. I look at the beggars like gnats. They kind of swarm around, get on our nerves on occasion, but really don't draw blood or cause any kind of harm. They don't get in the way of my game progress and I have the option to just blast through wherever they are and ignore them. I respect your right to be annoyed by something here, just like I would hope everyone would show me the same courtesy. But the beggars are pretty much the least annoying thing here. For me that is. I hope KingsIsle resolves the begging thingy so people quit complaining about it. But I'm not holding my breath. KI will do what's in their best interests, just like a good little money making machine ought to. And this is as it should be.

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2011
Sadly this is still not a report worthy. As I learned from experience people who beg for gifts usually beg the people over level 50-60 unless they have a crowns mount, pet, or gear. Although I wish this was reportable or as Dr. Von says make gift me appear red in text or open chat. The only solution is to ignore them and if they report you for not gifting them they'll be the ones paying for it. And I've only been gifted if someone wanted to or I helped them with something that no one else would even think about doing. And usually those beggars in the Commons a year or two later actually become the ones being begged I'm sure most high levels did (or still do) beg. And most people who beg are usually people who either 1) are little kids that have parents who do not want anything to do with Wizard101 and don't want to spend money. or 2) They don't have money to spend. or 3) They are being cheap and want everything in their life to be free. Not trying to be mean on number 3 but it's sort of true
Megan Frostflame Level 95

Explorer
May 07, 2009
There's always the ignore button, friend.

Explorer
May 07, 2009
Robobot1747 on Apr 16, 2014 wrote:
And afterwards you press that wonderful ignore button. Perfectly devised plan...

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
No one has to tolerate being harassed.

I give a person three chances to stop before I click the ignore button.

When asked for a gift, I reply "I was just going to ask you the same thing!"

If they continue; I tell them to either go ask their parents, or get a job.

If they won't stop, I tell them "I said no, stop asking or you leave me no choice but to ignore you."

Survivor
Apr 08, 2014
I see people talking a lot in the various areas but barely pay any attention to what they are saying. So am I not being begged or is begging just a message that pops up over said begger's head? If the latter is the case ignoring the request is so easy it's a shade above breathing.