Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Scarecrow being weak?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 23, 2012
Hello, I have a problem about the level 48 death spell called scarecrow. People say its too weak, and that really bugs me since I am death I sometimes get the Idea that i am too weak when they say scarecrow is weak. So i thought it would be great if i discuss this. So if you can, cause you Please update scarecrows damage to be fair? Like it does 500 damage by its self then when you add an enchantment, it will do like 775 damage. So thats an idea that came to my mind. That will really help necromancers a lot. It would really be nice to have scarecrow more powerful. I know the idea of giving health back too, maybe thats why? But just to be fair, I mostly want its damage to be boosted up so when i am battling bosses it'll be easier. Thanks .

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Scarecrow does plenty of damage as it is. Like all drain spells it does the equivalent of 2/3 damage 1/3 healing when you compared to spells of a similar cost. Use more blades and learn Sun School enchantments to boost it.

Survivor
Apr 02, 2013
You can enchant with strong, giant, monstrous, gargantuan and colossal treasure cards. To also increase your damage, add charms like death blade and dark pact (make sure you add dark pact first). Also add feint, death trap and curse onto your opponents.

I believe scarecrow isn't as strong as you like because we have an extra blade and traps to enhance the damage and that we get half of the damage caused in healing. I could be wrong but I think the school of Fire has a spell to get healing from attacking with fire as well.

Keller Silverthorn

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
codythescarecrowma... on Mar 6, 2014 wrote:
Hello, I have a problem about the level 48 death spell called scarecrow. People say its too weak, and that really bugs me since I am death I sometimes get the Idea that i am too weak when they say scarecrow is weak. So i thought it would be great if i discuss this. So if you can, cause you Please update scarecrows damage to be fair? Like it does 500 damage by its self then when you add an enchantment, it will do like 775 damage. So thats an idea that came to my mind. That will really help necromancers a lot. It would really be nice to have scarecrow more powerful. I know the idea of giving health back too, maybe thats why? But just to be fair, I mostly want its damage to be boosted up so when i am battling bosses it'll be easier. Thanks .
There is nothing wrong with this spell. You can easily boost the damage with blades, traps and feint. I soloed this game through and including The Final Countdown with Death and am now in Celestia. there is nothing weak about Death if played correctly.

Champion
Aug 15, 2012
Death doesn't have the highest attacks but that is why it has a lot of traps and blades. The reason that scarecrow doesn't have a lot of damage is because it is a multi attack drain. You can use death trap, feint, curse, spirit trap, spirit blade, etc. to boost the damage.
Neela Lotusflower
Legendary

Saffron Sandsword Magus

Delver
Apr 21, 2012
The same damage as Wraith, AND an AoE for only one pip more? That seems overpowered to me and I'm a Necromancer. (My main wizard, at least.)

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
i agree with ravenlady~

aoe spells in general do less damage than their single-hit counterparts, because the damage affects all enemies. death's drains, in particular, are the way they are because you do get half of the damage back as healing (and things like spirit/ice armour do not affect drains).

scarecrow is fine as is; if you are over level 60 and it doesn't hit at least 2000 per enemy, you're doing it wrong.

-von/val deathwhisper
promethean/level 95 x3

Defender
May 01, 2011
Scarecrow does enough damage, trust me. Later on when you get high critical rating, and you critical with crow, you can hit like 5000 damage with traps and blades.

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
The value of scarecrow is less in the damage than in the healing. In a group fight against four opponents, you get a TON of health back. I have seen necromancers down well below half health recharge to full time after time with scarecrow. AFAIK, scarecrow is the only attack all version of health steal in the game.

My main is a Balance wizard, and one of my higher priorities at the moment is to hatch a Crop Watcher pet so I can use scarecrow myself.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
DanTheTerrible on Mar 9, 2014 wrote:
The value of scarecrow is less in the damage than in the healing. In a group fight against four opponents, you get a TON of health back. I have seen necromancers down well below half health recharge to full time after time with scarecrow. AFAIK, scarecrow is the only attack all version of health steal in the game.

My main is a Balance wizard, and one of my higher priorities at the moment is to hatch a Crop Watcher pet so I can use scarecrow myself.
i wouldn't bother with the hatch, dan, for 2 reasons:

1) my main wizard is balance, too. and, while she is pretty awesome, she does not have the same boosts/buffs as my death wizard, meaning that any death spell she casts will not be as powerful.

2) crop watcher gives an ominous scarecrow, which is 8 pips to cast.

unless you have a mastery amulet, you cannot use a rank 8 spell from another school (max # of pips is 7, as power pips are double for your school only).

-

my promethean necromancer can use a scarecrow with 2 blades and easily be right back to full health. again, if someone is over level 60 and cannot make the thing hit at least 2000 per enemy, s/he is doing it wrong.

-v.

Survivor
Nov 23, 2012
I know what all of you are trying to say, i apreciate it. But I am saying is that scarecrow isn't suppose to do 583 with a colossal, it should do more. And my critical is: 419, and my damage is 79. When i critical with scarecrow is does like 2,234 or somewhere beside that.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
codythescarecrowma... on Mar 10, 2014 wrote:
I know what all of you are trying to say, i apreciate it. But I am saying is that scarecrow isn't suppose to do 583 with a colossal, it should do more. And my critical is: 419, and my damage is 79. When i critical with scarecrow is does like 2,234 or somewhere beside that.
Actually, 583 is EXACTLY what it's supposed to with colossal. 400 damage + 183 damage and 200 health + 92 health. It's just like it's supposed to be. It shouldn't do more.

Survivor
Jul 05, 2009
I think it is a great spell! If you add blades, it will add up. It also gives you health, which is very unique. If played correctly it can be a very strong spell

And death is a very strong school, you can heal, and attack! All schools have weaknesses.

Level 60

Survivor
Jul 18, 2010
At lv93 Scarecrow is still my favorite Meat & Potatoes spell.
It does plenty of damage for an Aoe. With the added effect of stealing health from all opponents.

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
Dr Von on Mar 9, 2014 wrote:
i wouldn't bother with the hatch, dan, for 2 reasons:

1) my main wizard is balance, too. and, while she is pretty awesome, she does not have the same boosts/buffs as my death wizard, meaning that any death spell she casts will not be as powerful.

2) crop watcher gives an ominous scarecrow, which is 8 pips to cast.

unless you have a mastery amulet, you cannot use a rank 8 spell from another school (max # of pips is 7, as power pips are double for your school only).

-

my promethean necromancer can use a scarecrow with 2 blades and easily be right back to full health. again, if someone is over level 60 and cannot make the thing hit at least 2000 per enemy, s/he is doing it wrong.

-v.
Balance blade and bladestorm work fine, and I have a number of deathblade treasure cards saved from gardening. Granted, the death mastery amulet is harder to get, but is the main reason I keep running waterworks...

Survivor
Nov 23, 2012
Hmm, it's still not fair, that it does 583. when the others do more, i know it gives back health but the others stun and do over time damage and give a weakness. I just wanted to be at least updated. to be honest it should do 675 damage. and i am a max level. when i use one blade it does 1604. thats not good really. thats all i want. just boost that damage. and i know that death has a lot of traps but i dont mean to be rude for those death wizards out there, it still is weak. like they use all the traps that are given to death, and blades, it does like in the 1800-2000 range. thanks for your support

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
codythescarecrowma... on Mar 16, 2014 wrote:
Hmm, it's still not fair, that it does 583. when the others do more, i know it gives back health but the others stun and do over time damage and give a weakness. I just wanted to be at least updated. to be honest it should do 675 damage. and i am a max level. when i use one blade it does 1604. thats not good really. thats all i want. just boost that damage. and i know that death has a lot of traps but i dont mean to be rude for those death wizards out there, it still is weak. like they use all the traps that are given to death, and blades, it does like in the 1800-2000 range. thanks for your support
You get to do 583 base damage to all while healing yourself a LOT more than a Satyr. Your exampe of 1604 damage gives you 802*4=3208 healing in a full fight. That's WAY more than fair.

Survivor
Mar 07, 2014
Actually scarecrow is amazing for things like celestia. I have a deck with 2 feints 1 deathblade and 3 scarecrow (in case they fizzle.) And that deals about 1200 damage to each person and you get 1200 health back. It is really good. Hope I helped!
Jacob deathcaster level 48

Defender
Apr 05, 2012
you need beast damage i hope you have lvl 50 gear or 45 try having power up tc with you the most one you see is feint and spirit stuff valerine fireheart level 95 100 in test realm
never give up be cool

Explorer
Apr 21, 2012
Weak? Being balance I carry the tc version of scarecrow, and it is anything but weak. Death school carries the highest combined percentage all told for traps/blades. Death is a slow school, but I wouldn't call it weak. Take your time, load traps and blades. Hit to heal. Scarecrow alone may not seem that strong, its only as strong as you decide it to be.