Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Shadow Shrike Posing Problems

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 19, 2012
Hello Community,

I am level 85 Ice Commander and I am really disappointed by the shadow shrike spell. Everyone on the forums used to complain about ice, and that's why you brought out a 50% pierce spell.Now as an Ice wizard, I would like to tell you that it is impossible for us to stand against storm or fire critical giants.They just blade, blade,shadow transform ad attack. It deals 5000-6000 damage although I have a 50% shield on myself. I cannot block their critical even with 200 critical rating and I have 75% resist to them.
Also Ice was supposed to be the most defensive school, and you brought jade gear so that every school can have 50-60% resist.
Ice breed is already dying, and your steps are making us even more on back foot.

I strongly request that either you fix the shadow shrike to 30% pierce otherwise give us a new spell to tackle shadow shrike.

Thanks,
Paul Fire flame
85 Commander.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
In all likelihood, Shrike wasn't solely developed to defeat Ice resistance or Jade Gear (although that was a part of it). It was developed because high level duels were regularly taking several hours to complete. Shrike is one of several game updates intended to shorten dueling time to something more reasonable. Other updates included altering the Guardian Spirit spell, making "Reshuffle 1x," as well as creating quick duel tournaments, and time limited tournaments.

Players of many schools had learned to build up tons of resistance, train healing pets, and greatly increase their healing boosts. It got out of hand. Shrike isn't a perfect solution, but you can see how it undercuts these problems.

Shrike might get changed, but if it doesn't, you should strongly consider changing your gameplay. Tanking won't sustain anymore.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Paul Fireflame on Jan 24, 2014 wrote:
Hello Community,

I am level 85 Ice Commander and I am really disappointed by the shadow shrike spell. Everyone on the forums used to complain about ice, and that's why you brought out a 50% pierce spell.Now as an Ice wizard, I would like to tell you that it is impossible for us to stand against storm or fire critical giants.They just blade, blade,shadow transform ad attack. It deals 5000-6000 damage although I have a 50% shield on myself. I cannot block their critical even with 200 critical rating and I have 75% resist to them.
Also Ice was supposed to be the most defensive school, and you brought jade gear so that every school can have 50-60% resist.
Ice breed is already dying, and your steps are making us even more on back foot.

I strongly request that either you fix the shadow shrike to 30% pierce otherwise give us a new spell to tackle shadow shrike.

Thanks,
Paul Fire flame
85 Commander.
No thanks, Shadow Shrike is fine as is. 50% pierce is not enough pierce to completely negate what is often 85%- 100% resist. Simply putting a shield in front of a shriked opponent will completly negate the pierce and then the attack will hit your resist. Your problems stem more from the fact that you are lvl 85 fighting lvl 95 players who have access to a vast array of tools and mechanics that you simply do not.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Paul Fireflame on Jan 24, 2014 wrote:
Hello Community,

Thanks,
Paul Fire flame
85 Commander.
Paul,

Your point is well made, and clearly points out a flaw in the system right now.
Ice's only options when facing a Fire or Storm, was it's high resist at your level.
The Level 95 Shrike spells clearly destroys your only defense against players like this.
Trying to get Aggressive against players like this will help, but as anyone can see,
your at a huge disadvantage, especially if your second.

On the other hand, you can see the error that KI has made, and tried to correct.
So, I don't see the Shrike spells being altered, nor resist limits put in, based on
the type and level of wizards. Putting a band aid on a band aid is of little help.

The system needs to be fixed, and levels needs to be separated, but again, for some
reason KI seems to ignore the real base problem.

I have Wizards that range from 5 to level 95 on two different accounts, so I feel your pain,
but I see no help on the way. The Level advantage is extreme, as is the First Turn
advantage.

Survivor
May 26, 2012
I don't think wizards without shadow magic should be facing wizards who have it.

If you have a shield on, the shadow shrike should only pierce that (assuming it's a tower) and the rest of the piercing is actually done by what the wizard has on him/herself from his/her gear. It seems your big problem is critical blocking, which is definitely an issue when lower levels end up fighting higher levels. I made a thread with some suggestions how to help with that, it's called Some PvP Ideas/Suggestions if you'd like to take a peek :)

Hope that helps!

-Maria

Survivor
Dec 19, 2012
@Warlord Maria,
It is a very good idea not to allow wizards without shadow magic to face shadow magic users.
@Lucas Rain
It takes AGES to train pets, get the crafted Avalon gear, etc. Whereas Shadow Shriek is available once you hit 95. I mean if I begin questing, I will be 95 in like a month or less. But it took me weeks to get those Avalon gear.
SO I don't at all think that shadow spells are solution to present scenario .