Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Some Interesting Spell Ideas...

AuthorMessage
Historian
May 06, 2009
I am becoming a spell idea fanatic...
Anyway, I got these ideas for some interesting utility spell dynamics on each school. Some you might like, other's not so much. The idea to show possible, different, and unique mechanics for each school. Unlike past spell ideas, I'm going to be a little irregular here. Some schools may have more spells than others and the pips won't be of the same value. I'm fitting in the mechanics that correspond best with another school. I'm also shooting for concepts to chew on rather than making actual spells. Some concepts could work in game, others are just subtle day-dreams. So they are as follows:

Thunder Strike
Pip: 4
Acc.: 70%
500Damage to random enemies
*The idea is to have a spell that doesn't work like formal AoE's. Instead it might hit 1 enemy at Dagger 3 times, then Spiral is hit 1 time, then you have Jewel hit 2 times. It's all random, which can be deadly.

Transplant
Acc.: 90%
Give 25% of Health to 1 friend
*I know Life is beginning to dispise heals, but this is a concept I've had in my head for a while. What someone could give up some of their health to heal a friend?

Aplomb
Pip: 1
Acc.: 100%
+10% Accuracy, +25% Damage, +50%
*Works similar to Balance's Tri-blades.

Delitescence
Pip: 3
Hidden from all enemy spells for 4 rounds

Malediction
Pip: 2
Dispel next spell
*Like other dispels, this spell negates another spell. However, it dispels any heal spell from any school.

Repel
Redirect 50% of inc. damage on caster for 4 rounds

Isolate
Acc.: 80%
Isolate 1 enemy from group for 3 rounds
*What this spell does is, it makes an enemy unachievable of group benefitting spells or being helped by the team for 3 rounds. So you know group effecting spells like Unicorn, Bladestorm, Legion Shield, etc? This spell makes spells like these ignore that enemy for 3 rounds.

Neutralize
Acc.: 60%
Cancel 1 Aura's effect for 2 rds
*You know how aura's give an effect for 4 rounds? This spells stops an aura's effect for 2 rounds.

Bestow Power
Pip: 7
Donate 2 Power Pips to all friends
*For those who don't know, this actually use to be Power Nova's old effect. I freshed it up and made it a different spell.

Incinerate
Pip: 5
Acc.: 75%
1500Damage over 10 Rds. -1 Charm, Ward each Rd.
*3 rounds is the typical over time effect, but what if we increased that? At first, I was thinking of making this spell like the Pendragon's cheat, but I put a limit on it and made a lasting effect.

Paralyze
Stun enemy for 3 rounds

Minion Legion
Pip: 6
Summon 3 Minions of (No PvP)
*This maximize's Myth's solo play by summoning 3 minions, each starting with 2 pips. 1 is offensive, helping the Conjurer deal damage, 1 is defensive, which protects the team from incoming attacks, and the 3rd is a healer, making sure the summoner is at sufficient health.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jan 3, 2014 wrote:
Anyway, I got these ideas for some interesting utility spell dynamics on each school. Some you might like, other's not so much. The idea to show possible, different, and unique mechanics for each school. Unlike past spell ideas, I'm going to be a little irregular here. Some schools may have more spells than others and the pips won't be of the same value. I'm fitting in the mechanics that correspond best with another school. I'm also shooting for concepts to chew on rather than making actual spells. Some concepts could work in game, others are just subtle day-dreams. So they are as follows:

Thunder Strike
*The idea is to have a spell that doesn't work like formal AoE's. Instead it might hit 1 enemy at Dagger 3 times, then Spiral is hit 1 time, then you have Jewel hit 2 times. It's all random, which can be deadly.

Transplant
*I know Life is beginning to dispise heals, but this is a concept I've had in my head for a while. What someone could give up some of their health to heal a friend?

Aplomb

Delitescence

Malediction
Dispel next spell
*Like other dispels, this spell negates another spell. However, it dispels any heal spell from any school.

Repel

Isolate
*What this spell does is, it makes an enemy unachievable of group benefitting spells or being helped by the team for 3 rounds. So you know group effecting spells like Unicorn, Bladestorm, Legion Shield, etc? This spell makes spells like these ignore that enemy for 3 rounds.

Neutralize
*You know how aura's give an effect for 4 rounds? This spells stops an aura's effect for 2 rounds.

Bestow Power
*For those who don't know, this actually use to be Power Nova's old effect. I freshed it up and made it a different spell.

Incinerate
*3 rounds is the typical over time effect, but what if we increased that? At first, I was thinking of making this spell like the Pendragon's cheat, but I put a limit on it and made a lasting effect.

Paralyze
Stun enemy for 3 rounds

Minion Legion
*This maximize's Myth's solo play by summoning 3 minions, each starting with 2 pips. 1 is offensive, helping the Conjurer deal damage, 1 is defensive, which protects the team from incoming attacks, and the 3rd is a healer, making sure the summoner is at sufficient health.
Imagine a fire wizard with 9 pips, 5 to use Incinerate and 4 to Detonate it. Doing 1,500 damage for 9 pips is seriously OP, because you can use 9 pips to do 1,500 damage in 2 rounds, and you can still do the same damage for 5 pips if you can wait 10 rounds. I like your myth spells, because they suit what the school is about. Same with ice, life and storm. Malediction is like Infection but more powerful, however I've heard plenty of necromancers complain about Infection and the effects of Dr Vonn's Monster, Lord of Night, King Artorius, etc. So I wouldn't say it's brilliant, but Delitescence is a brilliant idea. Now to my school: Balance.

Neutralise is a weaker version of Supernova, as Supernova destroys all 4 rounds and deals 535 damage to the target. This only does half the effect minus the damage. But they both have the same pip cost & accuracy. And with Bestow Power, it's a brilliant idea if playing multiplayer, but I usually go solo and never have Donate Power in my deck, I'd never use Bestow Power. Here's some of my ideas:
: Eclipse - Dispel next outgoing sun-enchanted spell.
: Shroud - Dispel next outgoing moon spell.
: Constellation - Dispel next outgoing star spell.
Shadow: Lighten - Dispel next outgoing shadow spell.

Historian
May 06, 2009
Blaze Sandblade on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:
Imagine a fire wizard with 9 pips, 5 to use Incinerate and 4 to Detonate it. Doing 1,500 damage for 9 pips is seriously OP, because you can use 9 pips to do 1,500 damage in 2 rounds, and you can still do the same damage for 5 pips if you can wait 10 rounds. I like your myth spells, because they suit what the school is about. Same with ice, life and storm. Malediction is like Infection but more powerful, however I've heard plenty of necromancers complain about Infection and the effects of Dr Vonn's Monster, Lord of Night, King Artorius, etc. So I wouldn't say it's brilliant, but Delitescence is a brilliant idea. Now to my school: Balance.

Neutralise is a weaker version of Supernova, as Supernova destroys all 4 rounds and deals 535 damage to the target. This only does half the effect minus the damage. But they both have the same pip cost & accuracy. And with Bestow Power, it's a brilliant idea if playing multiplayer, but I usually go solo and never have Donate Power in my deck, I'd never use Bestow Power. Here's some of my ideas:
: Eclipse - Dispel next outgoing sun-enchanted spell.
: Shroud - Dispel next outgoing moon spell.
: Constellation - Dispel next outgoing star spell.
Shadow: Lighten - Dispel next outgoing shadow spell.
Ah! I completely forgot about Detonate! You're certainly right, a combination of those 2 spells would be a devastatingly overpowered combo. I was thinking of a just a long lasting DoT spell rather than the constant 3 round turns. I mostly have Ghost Dog to thank for that concept, but it may not work, or the number of pips needs to seriously go up.

Yeah, I'm a Death wizard as well and I know the majority of Death school Wizards are pretty much over infections. I'm very nonchalant on if more Infections come for our school or not. It's not a power that makes or break my game play. Malediction is just an idea to be able to rid heals period, like Dispels. So instead of using Dissipate to stop Healing Current, Strangle to stop Sacrifice, Entangle to stop Life heals, and etc., one could simplely cast Malediction.

I suppose you're right about Neutralize. It was just an idea that had be floating in my head for sometime and I really just wanted to put it out there. Like I said, some may work, others not so much. I'm only placing out concepts, not legitimate spells. Bestow Power is probably better used in group play, and not ideal for the solo players.

I like the ideas of having Astral and Shadow Magic dispels. The only problem with Ligthten is you'll need to cast it with a Shadow pip and Dispels typically cost 2 pips. It's also hard to predict if someone will cast a Shadow spell even if they have a Shadow Pip, but the inclusion would be helpful for some.

Delver
Aug 26, 2012
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jan 5, 2014 wrote:
Ah! I completely forgot about Detonate! You're certainly right, a combination of those 2 spells would be a devastatingly overpowered combo. I was thinking of a just a long lasting DoT spell rather than the constant 3 round turns. I mostly have Ghost Dog to thank for that concept, but it may not work, or the number of pips needs to seriously go up.

Yeah, I'm a Death wizard as well and I know the majority of Death school Wizards are pretty much over infections. I'm very nonchalant on if more Infections come for our school or not. It's not a power that makes or break my game play. Malediction is just an idea to be able to rid heals period, like Dispels. So instead of using Dissipate to stop Healing Current, Strangle to stop Sacrifice, Entangle to stop Life heals, and etc., one could simplely cast Malediction.

I suppose you're right about Neutralize. It was just an idea that had be floating in my head for sometime and I really just wanted to put it out there. Like I said, some may work, others not so much. I'm only placing out concepts, not legitimate spells. Bestow Power is probably better used in group play, and not ideal for the solo players.

I like the ideas of having Astral and Shadow Magic dispels. The only problem with Ligthten is you'll need to cast it with a Shadow pip and Dispels typically cost 2 pips. It's also hard to predict if someone will cast a Shadow spell even if they have a Shadow Pip, but the inclusion would be helpful for some.
Hmm... I like your ideas! And since new spells are added in game updates, why not a greater shadow pip bar? It would be able to hold 3 shadow pips and the chance of a shadow pip is increased slightly. As for your spell ideas they are great. Except for the small things that Blaze said. Anyway I've come up with some spell ideas myself:

Glacial Blade/ Trap
Pip: 0
Acc: 100%
Gives you a blade/Trap that can be used by ice or storm

Thermic Blade/Trap
Gives you a blade/Trap that can be used by ice or fire

Volcanic blade/Trap
Gives you a blade/Trap that can be used by fire or storm

Its / because they are 2 different spells, but with the same effect. Also I would do the Spiritual Blades but I don't remember there names. But I came up with some other spells:

Judgment Bolts
Acc: 70%
Damage: 750 to all enemies

Everfrost Armor
Pip: X
Acc: 70%
375 damaged absorbed per pip

Fiery Inferno
Acc: 75%
500 damage per round, to all enemies, 10 rounds

The Weirwood
Pip: 9
Acc: 90%
900-975 damage to all enemies, heal 500 to all friends

The Horde
Acc: 80%
Summon 2 myth minions, and 1 storm minion

Wolf Pack
Pip: 9
Acc 85%
600 damage to all enemies, swap half to caster

Elemental Army
Pip 5
Acc 85%
Summon 1 ice minion, 1 storm minion, 1 fire minion

Super Judgment
Pip X
Acc 70%
100 ,,,,,,,,,, or shadow damage per pip

Hope you like them!

Ian Dragonshield lvl 79
Luke Skywalker lvl 19

"It only takes a single spark of courage to ignite the fires of hope"

Hero
Nov 14, 2010

Thunder Strike

Transplant

Aplomb

Delitescence

Malediction
Dispel next spell

Repel

Isolate

Neutralize

Bestow Power

Incinerate

Paralyze
Stun enemy for 3 rounds

Minion Legion
i like these just put no detonate on incinerate you no they have stuff like no auction and no pvp wouldn't be very hard to change that into no detonate up paralize to 5 pips and up minion legion to 8 pips

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
lol Detonate does NOT WORK it would not be overpowered. The fire spell is actually weaker than just about every spell there in all those examples.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
ViciousVenomousVix... on Jan 10, 2014 wrote:
lol Detonate does NOT WORK it would not be overpowered. The fire spell is actually weaker than just about every spell there in all those examples.
Storm needs almost twice as much pips to do that much damage. Even if it does still take 10 rounds, please tell me how doing double storm is not overpowered?

Defender
Jan 03, 2013

Thunder Strike

Transplant

Aplomb

Delitescence

Malediction
Dispel next spell

Repel

Isolate

Neutralize

Bestow Power

Incinerate

Paralyze
Stun enemy for 3 rounds

Minion Legion
I wish to make some changes to some spells:
Thunder strike: Keep the damage but make the spell more unpredictable, put it as 500 at one random target. Make it so the ally has to protect themselves too. Even thou its not smart to use them id like to see more crazy spells like Insane Bolt be put in the game to test the gutsy players who wanna use them. Transplant just sounds like sacrifice. Id keep Aplomb to An accuracy boost and make it 25 and a damage boost 40% The delete spell doesn't make too much sense, this is exactly as good as mega subdue so why do that? Maledicition is too similar to Lifebane and you know why that was cut.... Repel is too much, that makes for unfair play in pvp. Isolate seems.... odd? I don't see canceling out an enemy from unicorn and all that cause it doesn't do much anyway if you have the right gear. I like Neutralize but change the name to AuraStall. Bestow power wont be as useful cause for 7 pips you can use a power nova. Incinerate is way too much, try: 600 each round 3 rounds. Disable Shields and Blades for 3 rounds for that player. Paralyze makes it unfair for pvp. Minion legion I am not so sure on, id leave that as a really rare tc instead of a spell. And the minions should be fixed as a Cyclops, Minotaur and Boosted up Golem minion.

For lukes spells, I like the blades but it makes it too confusing when making a deck.
Everfrost armor is way too much and besides they have 2 things like this already.
Fiery inferno is just like his fire move
The weirwood is too much, that would be a combo of death and life which is unfair, so in turn we would need something similar which throws everything off. Also the life back and damage are too much.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
KaneDeathBringer23... on Jan 11, 2014 wrote:
Thunder strike: Keep the damage but make the spell more unpredictable, put it as 500 at one random target. Make it so the ally has to protect themselves too. Even thou its not smart to use them id like to see more crazy spells like Insane Bolt be put in the game to test the gutsy players who wanna use them. Transplant just sounds like sacrifice. Id keep Aplomb to An accuracy boost and make it 25 and a damage boost 40% The delete spell doesn't make too much sense, this is exactly as good as mega subdue so why do that? Maledicition is too similar to Lifebane and you know why that was cut.... Repel is too much, that makes for unfair play in pvp. Isolate seems.... odd? I don't see canceling out an enemy from unicorn and all that cause it doesn't do much anyway if you have the right gear. I like Neutralize but change the name to AuraStall. Bestow power wont be as useful cause for 7 pips you can use a power nova. Incinerate is way too much, try: 600 each round 3 rounds. Disable Shields and Blades for 3 rounds for that player. Paralyze makes it unfair for pvp. Minion legion I am not so sure on, id leave that as a really rare tc instead of a spell. And the minions should be fixed as a Cyclops, Minotaur and Boosted up Golem minion.

For lukes spells, I like the blades but it makes it too confusing when making a deck.
Everfrost armor is way too much and besides they have 2 things like this already.
The weirwood is too much, that would be a combo of death and life which is unfair, so in turn we would need something similar which throws everything off. Also the life back and damage are too much.
Since when was Lifebane similar to Malediction? Lifebane shields you from the next incoming life attack, it can also be a downside by blocking a heal, but if it's used right it can block incoming attacks. Like Entangle, but as a ward on self. But Malediction made me think about things, it blocks what the other school specialises in, so what if each school had one?
: Perforate - 2 pips, Dispel next outgoing shield spell.
: Solitary - 2 pips, Dispel next outgoing DoT spell.
: Segregate - 2 pips, Dispel next outgoing minion spell.
: Conciliator - 2 pips, Dispel next outgoing attack spell.
: Effervescence - 2 pips, Dispel next outgoing drain spell.
: Blunt - 2 pips, Dispel next outgoing blade spell.

What do you think, I tried to make them the most complex words I could find to follow in Finnigan's footsteps.

Historian
May 06, 2009

I appreciate your suggestions, however, I've read a lot of things off about what you've said about my concepts. First, let's please establish that these are concepts, not spells. I'm throwing out a format or template for an actual spell to see what sticks and what doesn't. If a concept doesn't work for actual game play, then oh well. If it does, great. But unlike past "spell" ideas I've done, I will not be making any changes because, in my mind, these are not spells, just templates. It's like saying "Oh what if a spell did this or that?" instead off "This spell does exactly this."

"Thunder strike: Keep the damage but make the spell more unpredictable, put it as 500 at one random target. Make it so the ally has to protect themselves too."
That's not the intent of Thunder Strike. The idea comes from the Witchdoctor power, Chain Lighting, in Pirate101 and I would prefer to stay close to that. Maybe when I decide on actual spell ideas, I'll make something very risky.

"Transplant just sounds like sacrifice."
I'm a Death Wizard who uses Sacrifice often, and Transplant is nothing like Sacrifice. The idea is meant to literally take 25% of a player's current health points and give them to an ally, rather than giving a set amount of healing like Sacrifice does

"Id keep Aplomb to An accuracy boost and make it 25 and a damage boost 40%"
Life already had Guidance so I wanted to make something much different that touched a little on Guiding Light. This might fit Balance better though.

"The delete spell doesn't make too much sense, this is exactly as good as mega subdue so why do that?"
Subdue spells make your enemy less likely to attack you, but I've found those spells to be flawed and short-lived. I got this concept from the meaning of delitescent, which means hidden. If you were in a group and an enemy used in AoE spell, that spell would skip you and attack everyone else. In short, enemy spells would be unable to see you. That sounds very different from subdue.

"Maledicition is too similar to Lifebane and you know why that was cut"
As far as I am concerned, Lifebane was removed because Entangle was more effecient. And you're looking at it much too specifically. Malediction dispels ANY heals from ANY school.

"Repel is too much, that makes for unfair play in pvp."
Frankly, I'm not overly concerned by whatever PvP feels. It could just have a "NO PvP" sign put on. The spell itself is a concept I've longed thought about. Originally, Repel would have flipped the whole spell back on the caster.

"Isolate seems.... odd?"
The idea is that your enemy is inexcesible from any aid of their allies. Using Isolate just as your enemy's teammate will cast Rebirth might be a major blow to your enemy. Isolate is not just effecting group-beneffit spells. Isolate makes it so that no one on your enemy's team can help them for 3 rounds. They can't buff your enemy, heal your enemy, or shield your enemy for 3 rounds. Used right, this spell can be dangerous.

Historian
May 06, 2009

"I like Neutralize but change the name to AuraStall."
Thanks for the suggestion, but I prefer Nuetralize.

"Bestow power wont be as useful cause for 7 pips you can use a power nova."
This is probably why Power Nova was changed. I really like the old concept and wanted to "revive" it in a way. I suppose the pip count could go down, but these aren't spells in my eyes.

"Incinerate is way too much, try: 600 each round 3 rounds. Disable Shields and Blades for 3 rounds for that player."
So 1200Damage over 3 rounds. -1 Ward & Charm each round? And 150 Damage each round for 10 rounds is too much? I guess with that side effect, it is on the high. And maybe Fire wizards won't like having such a sustaining damage spell. Maybe the damage could go down, but again, I have few intentions of making any changes to these concepts this time. If it doesn't work, then it just doesn't work.

"Paralyze makes it unfair for pvp."
Then Medusa is unfair in PvP. Don't get me wrong, I get really annoyed with Myth's stuns, however I wanted a concept that really brought out that stunning power. Also, the spell can be easily blocked with a Stun Block. Maybe a good balancer is to make the caster stunned for 1 round.

"Minion legion I am not so sure on, id leave that as a really rare tc instead of a spell. And the minions should be fixed as a Cyclops, Minotaur and Boosted up Golem minion."
Interesting...

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not interested in doing changes at this time.

Delver
Aug 26, 2012

Ok thanks for the explanation Everyone was saying Incinerate was too OP but Finnnigan wanted a not 3 rounds DoT so i came up with a spell like 10 rounds just like his

Survivor
Dec 19, 2010
I have some good ideas about spells.
Absorb
4 pips
absorbs 50% of the attack and turns it into health.

yeti
6 pips
A giant yeti monster appears and picks up a bundle of snow and throws it at the enemie(s). dose 450 damage.

let it rain.
5 pips
rains fire. dose 345-370 damage to all enemies.

unfortunate accident
4 pips
A ball of black energy flies through the air and smashes into your opponent. does 350 damage.

absorb damage.
4 pips
dose the same effect as the first spell listed but for life.

hurricane
5 pips
A scene of the ground and trees and rocks flying through the air and onto the enemie(s).

werewolf
4 pips
A big harry werewolf appears and makes an x with its claws in the air and dose 459 damage.