Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Packs? Are they worth it?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 16, 2012
I have bought packs before and had some luck and failures, I was wondering if anyone thinks that packs should be in Wizard101. I personally think that they are a fun way to get some neat stuff. I here debates on whether packs should be in the game because it involves gambling. What do you think?

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
Eh....I would say sure if you got a few extra crowns you don't need, but getting 30,000 crowns to get a mount or pet from a pack is not worth it at all.

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
firewizard101205 on Nov 3, 2013 wrote:
I have bought packs before and had some luck and failures, I was wondering if anyone thinks that packs should be in Wizard101. I personally think that they are a fun way to get some neat stuff. I here debates on whether packs should be in the game because it involves gambling. What do you think?
You said it yourself, It's gambling, Ask yourself if the gear you want is worth it

Explorer
Nov 11, 2012
Honestly....when i first decided to get the 10$ gift card and redeem for 5,000 crowns...all i did was buy hoard packs as all the mounts cost wayyy more and i would just buy packs.....in most packs i would just get housing items..reagants you know the boring stuff...I would constantly keep buying them and in maybe one or two packs I would get a pet(common one) or a wand and robe/hat. I say if you want to buy them buy maybe three no more. Cause honestly I've spent about 15,000 crowns on packs when i could have saved up for something else :/ To me it can be addictive and its just like gambling seriously

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
I think packs are a fun way to get stuff, if players are reasonable in how they buy the packs. They are a gamble, but a relatively mild gamble if people are moderate in getting them. At 299-399 crowns, that is about 30-40 cents each (if crowns are bought at 1000/dollar rate).

When you look at it as a fun grab bag, and a way to get both housing stuff and the occasional good equipment or mount, that is a reasonable and fun game of chance.

But if you are looking at it as the way to buy your equipment or mount, then packs are really dangerous. Since equipment and mount drops are "rare" to "ultra-rare", buying packs is a very risky way to get your goods. Sometimes it pays off. Sometimes it does not, and can be a big upset -- we recently had a big Halloween post discussion all about this.

Personally, I think it would be good if the proportion of "cheap" stuff in each pack was reduced, so the good rewards were a bit more common. But as long as we remember that we are taking a gamble when we buy a pack, and don't fall into the obsessed "gotta have that one pack item" mindset, I think the packs are fine, and worth it.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
I say they are worth it, but that is just me. I spend lots of my crowns on them.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
firewizard101205 on Nov 3, 2013 wrote:
It's not gambling in my eyes as you are guaranteed 7 items. Gambling implies that you place your money and may get something. That is not the case.
That being said the items you get may not be what you want. That's called chance. Big difference.

I like the packs, but you do have to control yourself because it's easy to blow all your cash, aka, crowns on packs.

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
I would buy a couple. You may do something different, though. I end up gambling so I try to keep my distance (not that that has worked!).

-Molly level 83 balance

Survivor
Aug 15, 2012
Only if you want something from the pack and have the crowns to spend on it, I usually only buy packs to collect the cool looking gear from them.

Survivor
Jul 16, 2012
I agree if you don't spend to much crowns, it is pretty fun if you have a little crowns to waste. I did get some pretty cool things.

Survivor
Jan 20, 2013
When I first tried it I thought it was a waste of the 4,000 crowns. But I like them now...

Some guy on YouTube had said to just sell the junk crown armor that you are not going to use, so I tossed out a few pieces (now wishing I didn't) and kept one. Then put up two crown wands as decoration in my Royal Playhouse castle. Checked out the cool pets I got. And went back to battle thinking I will never buy packs again. Then I bought the Hawkrider Bundle to actually get cool stuff and get the crowns I just spent.

I got the the packs when I was level 14. Some level ups later around 21... My brother went to check out the cool things I had setup on my Royal Playhouse castle and seen the cool wands as decoration. One was a flaming sword and another was like a huge spear. The next day I was bored because my brothers were not online...

I equipped the Flashing Dragon Spear just to look cool and walked around in the commons for a little. Then went to do some quests. Several battles later I see a new spell card I could use in battle. I was confused. I clicked it and there was the magic: Polymorph Dracon!!! OMG! This game is awesome! I never seen a polymorph before and there I was!!! Later on I had showed my brothers and thought the same thing: awesome!!! I felt like doing the same thing as that guy on YouTube that did the "I am a Super Saiyan"

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
I think they can be particularly good for low to mid level wizards since there is a wide variety of crown gear that are upgrades to the low level gear. You have to ask yourself, though, how will you feel if the best thing you get in a pack is some common housing items, a frost beetle treasure card, and a piece of mist wood?

If you buy packs, I think you need to commit to buying them until you get your first rare item. Hopefully it's a good one. Then stop buying packs. Odds of another rare coming again soon, are, well, rare.

Explorer
Sep 02, 2012
It depends on how much money you have, and how many you are buying. It may also depend on what is in it, and if it guarantees that you will be getting certain items that you want.