Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Caught radius

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 29, 2009
We should be able to see the radius of the enemy so we know when to walk. I know for one, that it sucked in marleybone finding out that the mobs have a huge radius. KI please think about this

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
TheNecromancyKing on Apr 23, 2013 wrote:
We should be able to see the radius of the enemy so we know when to walk. I know for one, that it sucked in marleybone finding out that the mobs have a huge radius. KI please think about this
This is unnecessary. Just stop running, watch and you will be able to see how the mobs move around. Patience is taught in Marleybone. Learn and you will do well beyond. Ignore and you'll have more problems elsewhere too.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Their radius is definitely not circular, nor centered on the mob.

I have found it easiest to avoid mobs by reasoning that their line-of-sight is in the shape of a cone, or arc. The point of this arc is at their entity shadow, and the cone extends out in front of them and to the sides in an arc of about 120 degrees.

The entity shadow is the round dot of shadow that falls underneath your character wherever you go. You can see it easier if you are on a flying mount, but you can also see it underneath collectible reagents, walking mounts, and walking players. You can use this as a rough yardstick for how close you can get to mobs without triggering them.

If you are in front of them, or approach them from the side, they will snag you if you are less than 10 x (entity shadow) away from them.

However, if you approach mobs from behind, you may be able to touch (but not overlap) entity shadow with them before triggering them.

This is also true in the Pet Pavilion maze game. Your pet casts an entity shadow as well. Lost souls in the maze apparently obey the arc rule for whether they freeze you or not.

This does not apply if you have eaten a blue star and are chasing ghosts to eat them. You need to be touching or overlapping from any direction to eat the ghost, or it will escape.

I strongly doubt the game would ever feature an optional setting to allow players to see the hitboxes of mobs, terrain obstacles, or themselves. This would be akin to cheating, as some instances are built with navigational challenges by design.

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
Oh yes! I have an idea: when you move over your mouse on a MoB, the same blue AoE circle would appear, showing which land is covered by his gaze.

Defender
May 29, 2009
popcicool7777777 on Apr 23, 2013 wrote:
Oh yes! I have an idea: when you move over your mouse on a MoB, the same blue AoE circle would appear, showing which land is covered by his gaze.
That's smart I think this Would really improve the game