Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Opinions on Pirate101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 26, 2009
Right well, I'm currently watching Pirates of the Caribbean haha and playing W101, and I looked at my Pirate101 iron and thought...

I wanna know what you guys think about Pirate101, the combat style, companions, and whole thing, in comparrison to Wizard101.

Which do you like better and why? What woud you change in Pirate101?
I'm just a curious dude looking for opinions because I personally dont like P101 as much as W101, I think its harder (combat) and a little confusing...

Your guys' thoughts?

Cool,
James LifeCatcher (Archmage Theurgist)

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
catsrawesome on Nov 11, 2012 wrote:
Right well, I'm currently watching Pirates of the Caribbean haha and playing W101, and I looked at my Pirate101 iron and thought...

I wanna know what you guys think about Pirate101, the combat style, companions, and whole thing, in comparrison to Wizard101.

I'm just a curious dude looking for opinions because I personally dont like P101 as much as W101, I think its harder (combat) and a little confusing...

Your guys' thoughts?

Cool,
I played in beta and won't be bothering with the 'live' version. I didn't like the combat style or most anything except the graphics.
I'm quite happy with Wizard101. :)

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I've been playing P101 quite a bit, and was also a tester for the Beta version. I love both W101 and P101 for different reasons.

W101 caters more to everyone, while I feel P101 caters to a more mature crowd. P101 is a different fighting style and it took a while to get used to it. Of course, your first pirate will make all the mistakes, because he/she is learning the ropes regarding fighting, ship battles, flying, traveling from skyway to skyway, and learning the tricks of the trade. It can be frustrating when you're used to the style of W101, but I find practice makes perfect.

P101 still has a lot that will be added, and it will continue to be tweaked for a long time to come, which is why it feels more "incomplete" than W101. Remember, W101 started small, too!

The companions you get can be a great asset, but there are some that don't do that much, and it's a challenge when some of them end up in battle with you, so it can take a lot of strategy to figure out how to win. I've had up to 25 companions in my list, and those are the ones you acquire as you quest.

Even though P101 is different, it also has similarities to W101. Dragonspyre, Marleybone, and Mooshu are just three areas that are similar to W101. When KI redid Mooshu, they did a fantastic job. The graphics are stunning, especially the color.

P101 is challenging, if you are up to the task. It's different, and at the same time, very exciting to play. You will make mistakes .... everyone does as they learn the game. Once you practice the different aspects, it becomes second nature after a while, and isn't so difficult or confusing.

P101 isn't going to be for everyone. If you prefer W101, hey, great! I'll still be playing W101 as well.

Lazy Lenora Leech, Buccaneer L50
Inky India Innsbrook, Musketeer L50

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
I started playing Pirates after my kids started. Of course I am curious and got sucked in.

At first I thought it was chaotic. I didn't know why people were attacking back, etc.
I started a player (using my wiz logon) and listened to the tutorials. Then I got a better idea of what was up.
I actually like the bit of randomness in battles. I am just starting out (level 5 I think) but it seems like a fun game. I like the chessboard battle field, but have to learn it better to my advantage.

With all the gardening on my wizards going on, I haven't quested in a while. Hard work just aiming spells for 37 king parsleys at a time. And I am afraid of the let down I expect after crafting Deer Knight.
For me, as a casual but seasoned gamer, the further worlds (avalon+) seem to be just work. More mob health and pips. Very few battles are in doubt, only the amount of time spent matters. The craftable spells are cool, but you have to be level 70ish to actually craft them. So that lets you use a spell for a couple of worlds at best. KI shot themselves in the foot with that, especially since you can buy the recipe in Mooshu for some. The spells would be fantastic in lower level worlds, but a 5 pip spell is not much help in Avalon. idk, maybe I can make it work.

I will see how pirate goes, my kids are now begging for memberships, so we will see how that goes now. They got frustrated with Wizard 101 after about Marleybone. That world took the fun out of it for them. My younger son is in dragonspyre, but my older daughter is stuck in Mooshu.
pods

Survivor
Dec 28, 2011

Your guys' thoughts?

Cool,
I believe the other posts up here are correct.

You may not like P101 because it is incomplete. Most games are like that in the beginning.

Also, you really can't compare the two games. Yes, both are the same type. However, they are to different to compare. Some people prefer one of the two battle styles.

I enjoy both. However, there are two changes I would make to P101. First, the travel time. It takes forever to get back and forth between places. Second, we should be able to delete the companions we don't want. Some of them are useless.

Give the developers more time to make changes and give it another go. You may change your mind.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
I really think p101 will eventually flop. Not that many like the style of it.
I played it for a week and couldnt stand it any longer.

Defender
Aug 01, 2011

Your guys' thoughts?

Cool,
I like pirate101 its just I cant get membership for it because I can only have membership for two online games this and something else not gonna say the name of it. But one thing I don't like in pirate101 is a place in the sky I forgot the name and I got really sick because the island was a little tipped over so I was sick for a little while. Other then that its a good game its just I won't be able to get membership for it. I recommend you play it. Its pretty good.

Defender
Nov 21, 2010
Very good game. I like the combat system. Few problems that I found is the spell manage. I cannot disable useless spells and they all comes in random each fight and it takes forever to get from one point to another.

Delver
Sep 27, 2009
I like how in Pirate 101 you don't spend alot of time in one world and you travel alot. But it is harder combat in my opinion. I like how you get helpers in P101 too, but Wizard 101 will always be my favorite because I have always wanted to be a wizard.

Delver
Aug 10, 2010
Think back to about 1995 did you play Command & Conquer or the original Warcraft games? Yes? You've pretty much played P101. Now, it's MMO instead of LAN party. Been there, done that, got a drawer full of t-shirts.