Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

W101 Launcher Doesn't Like To Be Minimized

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 17, 2013
Every time I've minimized the W101 launcher while it's loading it stops working, it just refuses to maximize the window again and so I have to close it using task manager or restart because it says that Wizard101 is currently still running blah blah blah, this is frustrating when you have to wait a bit for it to load, and over all did not used to happen before one of the world updates. - Some where around Avalon, Azteca & Zafaria, world updates were added but I thought they would have been noticed and fixed by now. ( I just recently started playing again, despite the fact the I'm muted until 2022. >_>

Lv. 90 Death - Jordan NightRider

(Note: This post was meant to see if anyone else was having this issue, it seems to reoccur very easily to me.)

Survivor
Jun 28, 2013
I have the same issue, evidently lots of people are as a matter of fact.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Yes, I also have this problem.

Defender
Nov 19, 2009
I had this issue but I found a way around it. Not the prettiest way but it gets the job done. The patch client will look less colorful but if you uninstall microsoft 2005 c++ redistributable It will make the patch client look a lot different. Less Pretty but you can Minimize it an such. Also no black box in the corner of the screen. The game works fine without the C++ as that part I am sure is just for the patch clients Looks. I have had no issues what so ever by uninstalling it.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
Supposedly running in Compatibility Mode works, too. I don't know, I just make sure to Alt + Tab to another window rather than minimizing.

It's definitely a nuisance

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
The Black Box is from Wizard101?!?! I thought that it was just my computer being whacky! Hopefully they will get this fixed at some point. My C++ magic skills are probably not good enough to go messing around.....

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
If you're on windows10, your fix is to get off of it and back on windows 8.1

Otherwise, update your video drivers. The issue is on your machine, not with the client.

Survivor
Aug 17, 2013
So I'm not the only one with that little black and white box either then? Well that's a relief but I do hope KI fixes this it's rather annoying to say the least.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
crystalwizard12345... on Jun 3, 2016 wrote:
If you're on windows10, your fix is to get off of it and back on windows 8.1

Otherwise, update your video drivers. The issue is on your machine, not with the client.
If the "fix" is downgrading my OS, that's no fix. I can't believe that was a legitimate suggestion.

Delver
Dec 15, 2009
The problem only happens with Windows 10. Just don't minimize the launcher.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I jut tried to minimize it while loading, on my win7 machine, and the ONLY thing I noticed different, is that instead of the normal screen when I maximized it again, I see this text at the top of the loader:

"The game is updating on your computer and will take 3 to 5 minutes to complete.

© KingsIsle Entertainment Inc. | By downloading the game, you agree to the Terms of Use."

It minimizes and maximizes just fine, however

Survivor
Aug 17, 2013
dayerider on Jun 7, 2016 wrote:
I jut tried to minimize it while loading, on my win7 machine, and the ONLY thing I noticed different, is that instead of the normal screen when I maximized it again, I see this text at the top of the loader:

"The game is updating on your computer and will take 3 to 5 minutes to complete.

© KingsIsle Entertainment Inc. | By downloading the game, you agree to the Terms of Use."

It minimizes and maximizes just fine, however
Yeah I'll be getting a brand new laptop soon and I'll be getting Windows 7 on it and definitely not Windows 10, I have so many issues with out and no way to reverse it, and whatever you suggest I try to go back to Windows 7 I've tried again and again with no changes made.

I can't even use a certain mod installer on a certain sand box game because of Windows 10 I gotta like use command prompt just to get it to work, and that can take up a half an hour or sometimes 3 if I don't do something right.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2013
Yes yes, we can all get around this Universal Windows 10 issue using task manager.

But we shouldn't have to.

KI, please find out what is clashing with Windows 10 and remedy this inconvenience.

-Kevin Frost

Explorer
Aug 29, 2011
I have the same problem. I just leave it without minimizing it and just maximize another page over it.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
Kevhawk95 on Jul 25, 2016 wrote:
Yes yes, we can all get around this Universal Windows 10 issue using task manager.

But we shouldn't have to.

KI, please find out what is clashing with Windows 10 and remedy this inconvenience.

-Kevin Frost
Yup.

My drivers are all updated. I've flashed my BIOS, I've run every maintenance utility offered. I still can't minimize the Launcher.

No, I don't need to minimize it. At this point it's becoming annoying since it's being ignored, especially because Pirate101 does not cause this issue.