Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Questions for Life wizards

AuthorMessage
Defender
Nov 24, 2012
These questions are entitled to Life wizards. However, if you're not Life but can answer, please do.
Since healing is Life's strength (or use to be), healing others is very important. Prior to the currect system, critical heals were easy to achieve. Now that the critical system was changed, (1) how occasionally do you crit on heals? If you dot critical as often as you use to prior to the currect system, (2) what methods have you taken to increase critical healing? (3) Have these methods worked?
Although critical healing was reduced, critical heals receive a bonus— (4) do you believe this bonus reconciles for the loss of critical healing?
Guardian Spirit has been a controversial spell do to its ability to revive a target. The spell went from 25% to 15%. I did not have a problem with the 15%, because I use to critical on this spell very often; however, with the currect system, this spell is now a solid 15%. (5) Do you no longer consider Guardian Spirit useful?
Finally, if you play PvP, (6) has PvPing as a Life wizard become hard?
Note: If you can, please state your school and your level.
Thank you for answering.

Delver
Dec 15, 2009
Angel of Solitude on Apr 15, 2016 wrote:
These questions are entitled to Life wizards. However, if you're not Life but can answer, please do.
Since healing is Life's strength (or use to be), healing others is very important. Prior to the currect system, critical heals were easy to achieve. Now that the critical system was changed, (1) how occasionally do you crit on heals? If you dot critical as often as you use to prior to the currect system, (2) what methods have you taken to increase critical healing? (3) Have these methods worked?
Although critical healing was reduced, critical heals receive a bonus— (4) do you believe this bonus reconciles for the loss of critical healing?
Guardian Spirit has been a controversial spell do to its ability to revive a target. The spell went from 25% to 15%. I did not have a problem with the 15%, because I use to critical on this spell very often; however, with the currect system, this spell is now a solid 15%. (5) Do you no longer consider Guardian Spirit useful?
Thank you for answering.
I am a level 94 Life Wizard in Khrysalis.

(1) Since the change in Criticals, the first change, it went down. A lot. I was at about 22% and it went down to 8%. But they made it similar to the update, but fixed the critical rate. Now It was about 19% at same level (70 something), same gear. Based on that information, you can say it is "less" often to critical on healing.

(2) I used a variety of gear to help my critical rating go up. Better gear = Better Rate

(3) It has definitely worked.

(4) To me, I don't think it does anything. For me, it doesn't change up the game. I can't even tell the extra bonus health. So no, I don't think reconciles.

(5) Where has this "talk" been going on? Guardian Spirit is 100% useful. If you critical on it, it revives 30% health back. I don't see a problem. Is it useful? Oh yes! Whoever says it isn't clearly doesn't understand. Right now my power pip chance is 98%. So I can get Guardian Spirit in 1 round from the beginning, or 3 rounds with no pips. My critical rating is 18% and I still critical on it.

(6) Now this is a controversial topic. I don't play PvP that often, but when I do, it's usually Practice. This topic also depends on the amount of players you are dueling WITH, and AGAINST. If you are in a 4v4, it is a definite great type of Wizard to use in PvP. Because you can heal your teammates constantly. But the lower the battle goes, 3v3, 2v2, 1v1... it gets worse. 1v1 With a Life Wizard is really hard to do, as some spells don't do as much damage as you'd like.

Hope this helps :)

Hunter LifeBreeze Lv. 94

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
1) My critical heals are almost nonexistent. They happen, but rarely, and my life has a decent critical hit amount (not on it right now, so cant give you a specific number, but I'd venture to say at least 300 crit hit)

2) I have done nothing for critical healing and go more for better outbound healing. mine is currently around 120 outbound (and 60 inbound)

4) nope, altho most people seem to think healing should have its own critical, which I feel COULD help. Nothing is a guarantee of course, and I dont know, or care, about how it would affect PvP since I dont do it and it's already damaged beyond repair.

5) I have never used guardian spirit.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
My Life Wizard can hit when necessary, but she's primarily a healer/supportive player.

Before the change to the Crit & Block calculation, I criticaled heals about half the time. I never depended on that Critical but focused on having decent Outgoing in tandem so that I had reliably good, sometimes amazing, healing power.

Since the change I've literally Criticaled five heals. Five. That's because I changed my build to one based entirely on Outgoing. My Outgoing, with 50 Universal Resist, 80+ Block and 80+ Power Pips is 158. I can get up to 179, but I have awful other stats. I've seen a build of 197, but her other stats were worse than awful. My solution has been to abandon Critical Healing altogether.

I think the bonus is ridiculous and unneccessary. IF a heal Criticals, it doesn't need the bonus. I'm not sure what a better solution would be, maybe up some stats on all gear, add small amounts of Outgoing, but KI's "solution" solved nothing.

I don't PVP so I *never* considered Guardian Spirit useful. I may have used it a handful of times since I trained it, only to determine that if I was in a PvE group so bad that we needed that spell, I probably didn't want to be there...

On the flip side, with a double damage, single Critical pet, I can still get 100% (with some to spare) for one hitting Halfang a la Morganthe jewel. My other stats are pretty bad, so I've never attempted it as a Healing Build, although with 100%, clearly I could still dependably Critical Heal if I wanted.

For the record, I object to the way this series of questions was asked. It was clear that you wanted us all to say "End of the world. They've killed the Life Wizard." Sorry, not mine. I actually prefer my built in, every time, 1300 Fairy.

Your mileage may vary.

Life, 110.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
Thank you for answering.
1. Around 26%
2. I haven't done much to impact critical heals.
3. You don't really need critical heals that much and if you still want them, then go for higher outgoing.
4. Yes, critical heals were way too op before.
5. No, it still is useful and broken.
6. Not really, there are new strategies for life wizards that work as well/ better than before the nerf.

Lvl 110
Lvl 81
Lvl 27

Survivor
Jun 18, 2009
6. As a level 110 life wizard who enjoys ranked pvp, life is no storm but it certainly can dominate the arena if done right.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
TylerDream on Apr 17, 2016 wrote:
6. As a level 110 life wizard who enjoys ranked pvp, life is no storm but it certainly can dominate the arena if done right.
Storm doesn't even dominate the arena...

Lvl 110
Lvl 84
Lvl 27

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Thank you for answering.
1. I'm level 110 life, and I critical about 1 in 10 times. However because I use sanctuary, guiding light and brilliant light, I don't need a crit to do 2 to 3 thousand points of heal almost every time. Even my fairy does around 1500.

2. I use guardian spirit only when I'm facing someone that I'm pretty sure is going to kill me. I can't keep my team alive if I die, so rather than have to flee, I'll use it. it's a spell for very specific situations.

3. If I don't use the external boosts, I still do a lot of heals. Why? Because I play my healer to heal, not attack, so the main stat on her gear is outgoing. With the amount of outgoing I have, a completely non-boosted, non-critical fairy does around 800 points of heals.

Defender
Nov 24, 2012
PaigeGoldenspear on Apr 15, 2016 wrote:
My Life Wizard can hit when necessary, but she's primarily a healer/supportive player.

Before the change to the Crit & Block calculation, I criticaled heals about half the time. I never depended on that Critical but focused on having decent Outgoing in tandem so that I had reliably good, sometimes amazing, healing power.

Since the change I've literally Criticaled five heals. Five. That's because I changed my build to one based entirely on Outgoing. My Outgoing, with 50 Universal Resist, 80+ Block and 80+ Power Pips is 158. I can get up to 179, but I have awful other stats. I've seen a build of 197, but her other stats were worse than awful. My solution has been to abandon Critical Healing altogether.

I think the bonus is ridiculous and unneccessary. IF a heal Criticals, it doesn't need the bonus. I'm not sure what a better solution would be, maybe up some stats on all gear, add small amounts of Outgoing, but KI's "solution" solved nothing.

I don't PVP so I *never* considered Guardian Spirit useful. I may have used it a handful of times since I trained it, only to determine that if I was in a PvE group so bad that we needed that spell, I probably didn't want to be there...

On the flip side, with a double damage, single Critical pet, I can still get 100% (with some to spare) for one hitting Halfang a la Morganthe jewel. My other stats are pretty bad, so I've never attempted it as a Healing Build, although with 100%, clearly I could still dependably Critical Heal if I wanted.

For the record, I object to the way this series of questions was asked. It was clear that you wanted us all to say "End of the world. They've killed the Life Wizard." Sorry, not mine. I actually prefer my built in, every time, 1300 Fairy.

Your mileage may vary.

Life, 110.
You objected the way I asked these questions, yet you still managed to give me an essay. I'd like to inform you that you're overanalyzing. These questions were asked to help me—and possibly others—manage to heal sufficiently regardless of the currect system. I haven't been playing Wizard101 in months thus wanted to know to what extent the currect system has affected Life Wizards' healing abilities and what they have been doing as a result.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
Angel of Solitude on Apr 26, 2016 wrote:
You objected the way I asked these questions, yet you still managed to give me an essay. I'd like to inform you that you're overanalyzing. These questions were asked to help me—and possibly others—manage to heal sufficiently regardless of the currect system. I haven't been playing Wizard101 in months thus wanted to know to what extent the currect system has affected Life Wizards' healing abilities and what they have been doing as a result.
Perhaps just ask that question then.

You made the questions about how we fixed our critical, not how we effectively healed. You're still showing your bias "regardless of the current system." The unbiased phrasing would be "within the current system." I gave you an essay not for you, but for everyone reading it thinking you might be right that healers were now ineffective. I wanted them to know they have multiple options.

I've been a vocal critic of the way the change was rolled out, but I don't think the change itself was the worst decision KI could have made.

Defender
Nov 24, 2012
PaigeGoldenspear on Apr 26, 2016 wrote:
Perhaps just ask that question then.

You made the questions about how we fixed our critical, not how we effectively healed. You're still showing your bias "regardless of the current system." The unbiased phrasing would be "within the current system." I gave you an essay not for you, but for everyone reading it thinking you might be right that healers were now ineffective. I wanted them to know they have multiple options.

I've been a vocal critic of the way the change was rolled out, but I don't think the change itself was the worst decision KI could have made.
Once more, you're overanalyzing. I find it funny the way you like to interpret things. Not everyone has the same views as you, and you need to know that. Even after I clarified to you what it was that I was trying to say, you chose to misinterpret my wordings once more. Really, if there is anyone here wanting to instill ideas on others, that's you.