Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Era but Unfair PVP?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 08, 2010
Good evening all ,
I'd first like to share that this is my first post on Wizard101 Message Boards!
I have a ice wizard whom I cherish very much. This week I have finally begun PVP again.The highest ranking I have achieved was Captain. I am starting off from the beginning to achieve my goal. (No PVP gear.)
As the new era kicks in, everyone is rushing to rank up their PVP stats...
I have been playing PVP today and I have noticed one peculiar thing. And I have to ask this...

Why do previous era Warlords/Commanders get to use their powerful PVP gear even though they are at a Private rank? How is this fair?

You must be at least at a Commander ranking, but I see Private ranked Wizards wearing their PVP Commander + gears. And guess what? I have been fighting these types of individuals all day today.

I think this is a highly unfair advantage for those who were previously Warlord/Commander. For them to be able to keep their PVP gears equipped at a Private rank when you must be at least a Commander +. Those individuals have ridiculously high stats for a Private.
But since this is a "New Era", why aren't we all treated as "new"? As in work our way from the bottom to the top?
In a sense, this isn't at all a new era. Those individuals who previously hit the Commander/Warlord status will still be able to achieve either more or their previous rank due to their PVP gear advantage.

What do you guys think?
(Just to make this clear...In no way am I trying to offend anybody. I want to raise awareness to this type of unfairness for myself and other Wizards. )

Survivor
Jan 23, 2015
I understand your frustration, but it's just the way it is. The reason they are wearing higher ranked pvp gear is because they already had it on when the ranks reset. If you were forced to take it off, then a lot of other people would be complaining. For example, I got to knight and finally got the arena tickets to buy some pvp gear, shortly before the rank reset. My membership ran out as well before the update. It would then be unfair to me to have to take it off and have to pay for more membership or crowns to get it back. Unfortunately, that's just how it is and someone always get the short end of the stick.

As for you trying to do ranked pvp right after the update and reset without arena gear, I would suggest to wait a bit for things to settle down. I wish you luck on your road to ranking up.

Survivor
Apr 12, 2009
AllisonRain7 on Jul 17, 2015 wrote:
Good evening all ,
I have a ice wizard whom I cherish very much. This week I have finally begun PVP again.The highest ranking I have achieved was Captain. I am starting off from the beginning to achieve my goal. (No PVP gear.)
I have been playing PVP today and I have noticed one peculiar thing. And I have to ask this...

Why do previous era Warlords/Commanders get to use their powerful PVP gear even though they are at a Private rank? How is this fair?

You must be at least at a Commander ranking, but I see Private ranked Wizards wearing their PVP Commander + gears. And guess what? I have been fighting these types of individuals all day today.

I think this is a highly unfair advantage for those who were previously Warlord/Commander. For them to be able to keep their PVP gears equipped at a Private rank when you must be at least a Commander +. Those individuals have ridiculously high stats for a Private.
But since this is a "New Era", why aren't we all treated as "new"? As in work our way from the bottom to the top?
In a sense, this isn't at all a new era. Those individuals who previously hit the Commander/Warlord status will still be able to achieve either more or their previous rank due to their PVP gear advantage.

What do you guys think?
(Just to make this clear...In no way am I trying to offend anybody. I want to raise awareness to this type of unfairness for myself and other Wizards. )
I COMPLETELY agree I'm a lvl 18 balance warlord and all I ever fight is magus 2nd age warlords if they would just not allow them to use the gear that would fix the problem.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Those rank requirements are only to buy the gear not to wear it. Once purchased you can lose rank and still wear those pieces of gear. So when ranks are reset for a new age it's not a problem for you wear them either.

Survivor
Jan 28, 2011
Champ5051 on Jul 18, 2015 wrote:
I understand your frustration, but it's just the way it is. The reason they are wearing higher ranked pvp gear is because they already had it on when the ranks reset. If you were forced to take it off, then a lot of other people would be complaining. For example, I got to knight and finally got the arena tickets to buy some pvp gear, shortly before the rank reset. My membership ran out as well before the update. It would then be unfair to me to have to take it off and have to pay for more membership or crowns to get it back. Unfortunately, that's just how it is and someone always get the short end of the stick.

As for you trying to do ranked pvp right after the update and reset without arena gear, I would suggest to wait a bit for things to settle down. I wish you luck on your road to ranking up.
The people getting the short end of the stick in this case is the community. People who have never played pvp a day in their life or who are perhaps average at it are being matched against warlords. It not just the gear its the fact that a second age overlord is the majority of opponents that privates face on a daily basis.
You said well then just wait until they all rank up. I would then like to refer you to your own argument that it wouldn't be fair to have to spend more on membership so i can wait till i get a fair match in PVP.
The gear should have a limit like must be a PVP knight to use or something because otherwise it's a one sided fight that give practically no chance to the little guy.

Thomas IceThief

Survivor
Jan 23, 2015
thomas ice thief on Sep 25, 2015 wrote:
The people getting the short end of the stick in this case is the community. People who have never played pvp a day in their life or who are perhaps average at it are being matched against warlords. It not just the gear its the fact that a second age overlord is the majority of opponents that privates face on a daily basis.
You said well then just wait until they all rank up. I would then like to refer you to your own argument that it wouldn't be fair to have to spend more on membership so i can wait till i get a fair match in PVP.
The gear should have a limit like must be a PVP knight to use or something because otherwise it's a one sided fight that give practically no chance to the little guy.

Thomas IceThief
Like I said, someone always gets the short end of the stick. If you had your way (I understand your reasoning, it was difficult for me to get the gear because of people wearing higher ranked gear) then I and others would now get the short end of the stick.

The way you are matched is supposed to be based on a number of factors, including the gear. However it doesn't always work out we'll. If KI were able to make the matching system even more accurate it would provide a solution. Alas, KI seems to be ignoring pvp (although they worked on it a bit in the last update for 3rd age) and people with the gear already rule pvp. I won't even get started about exalted pvp lol.

Survivor
Jan 28, 2011
Champ5051 on Sep 25, 2015 wrote:
Like I said, someone always gets the short end of the stick. If you had your way (I understand your reasoning, it was difficult for me to get the gear because of people wearing higher ranked gear) then I and others would now get the short end of the stick.

The way you are matched is supposed to be based on a number of factors, including the gear. However it doesn't always work out we'll. If KI were able to make the matching system even more accurate it would provide a solution. Alas, KI seems to be ignoring pvp (although they worked on it a bit in the last update for 3rd age) and people with the gear already rule pvp. I won't even get started about exalted pvp lol.
The gear is a big problem for many people but the MAIN problem is the fact that noobs are fighting warlords who are trying to get their rank back. I know that warlords want to get their rank back asap I get that. But they're fighting people who might not have ever played pvp or who are absolute trash at it. The fact of the matter is I can join a pvp on my level 52 and be matched against a lvl 50 overlord with a 2nd age 1800+ rating. And that stuff happens all the time. Basically anyone playing grand master or legendary pvp CAN'T because they're going up against a monster with ridiculous gear. If I were to lose against one of these 2nd age overlords i could very well face them again and again in the next 3 matches as I have experienced multiple times. When you have that happen to you over and over your rating tanks abysmally and PVP loses all joy.

Thomas IceThief

Survivor
Dec 30, 2009
AllisonRain7 on Jul 17, 2015 wrote:
Good evening all ,

What do you guys think?
Definitely this should be changed so that you have to be a Warlord or Commander to use the gear. This is in place for the Diego rings and athames but not for the hat, boots, and robe.

I have heard this complaint for years and years. KI, you really should do something about this. It is probably the #1 reason why newcomers to PvP quit almost immediately. Crown gear at low levels give a measly 5% at best and then they have to compete against people with 50% resist who have the gear and Heartsteel, who downrank then rank up again just to farm for arena tickets.