Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Catalan in pvp?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Aug 04, 2013
Hi there.

I am a storm wizard who does pvp and practices a lot. However, i have noticed that the spell catalan could be of great use in pvp, especially in 1v1. Not only can it clear away white pips (pip cost is 5), it now leaves a -25% mantle on the opponent.

So my question is, why is catalan so dead in the arena? Its a great spell and can sometimes be a lifesaver with that mantle. I would just like to know why not many storm warlords or even just normal pvp storms don't use this card, even a tc version of it?

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
You raise good points. I think a strategy doesn't really catch on in PvP until someone sees it used effectively. I would suspect that people are locked in an old way of thinking--many Storm players remember the old Catalan (which was basically a Stormzilla copy, with no after-effect). They didn't see the spell as useful in those days, so they haven't incorporated it into their strategies now.

But you're right. Maybe they should. It's particularly useful in low-level PvP.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
The reason Catalan isn't used in PvP is multifaceted. First of all high lvl PvP is in a high accuracy meta particularly with the jewel updates. A -25% acc is simply reducing most people's spells to 75%+ accuracy which means a majority of the time Catalan has no extra effect. The high accuracy meta also applies to Grandmaster level PvP which is also a popular rank. Finally the DM and grandmaster level gear offer 95%+ power pips. This means that Catalan's effective cost is usually 6 pips(3 power pips) rather than 5. At 3 power pips storm has the option to utilize the much more powerful Triton spell and as such Catalan is not used. If Catalan was given a better effect such as a higher accuracy debuff or even multiple -25% acc debuffs then it might be worth using. As it stands now Catalan is simply not worth the cost.

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
Eric Stormbringer on Apr 28, 2015 wrote:
The reason Catalan isn't used in PvP is multifaceted. First of all high lvl PvP is in a high accuracy meta particularly with the jewel updates. A -25% acc is simply reducing most people's spells to 75%+ accuracy which means a majority of the time Catalan has no extra effect. The high accuracy meta also applies to Grandmaster level PvP which is also a popular rank. Finally the DM and grandmaster level gear offer 95%+ power pips. This means that Catalan's effective cost is usually 6 pips(3 power pips) rather than 5. At 3 power pips storm has the option to utilize the much more powerful Triton spell and as such Catalan is not used. If Catalan was given a better effect such as a higher accuracy debuff or even multiple -25% acc debuffs then it might be worth using. As it stands now Catalan is simply not worth the cost.
I agree same thing for ice (I was ice and then should train fire school so, get own Efreet spell) unless KI made ice train Ice Efreet (Ice Efreet does exist) only get them as a gear from Winterbane Gauntlet!

I WISH there was spell stitching