Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Drops from Bosses Make No Sense!!!

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Okay, so I'm farmining Jade Oni in Mooshu for stuff. Jade Oni is a LIFE creature. And guess what I got...

Jade Oni's Cap - Ice School Only!!!!
How can this be Jade Oni's cap? He can't wear it. Not only is it obviously too small, only Ice School can equip it. This can't be Jade Oni's cap... i just don't believe it.

Jade Oni's Boots - Death Only!!!
Only death school can equip these. How can these be Jade Oni's boots?
Again... aren't they a bit small for an elephant?

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
RottenHeart on Apr 1, 2015 wrote:
Okay, so I'm farmining Jade Oni in Mooshu for stuff. Jade Oni is a LIFE creature. And guess what I got...

Jade Oni's Cap - Ice School Only!!!!
How can this be Jade Oni's cap? He can't wear it. Not only is it obviously too small, only Ice School can equip it. This can't be Jade Oni's cap... i just don't believe it.

Jade Oni's Boots - Death Only!!!
Only death school can equip these. How can these be Jade Oni's boots?
Again... aren't they a bit small for an elephant?
Tell that to Zeus, Hades, Poseidon, and Malistaire. They all drop off school items that are pretty much the best for the level.
(Jade oni falls under the same category as them)

Champion
Jan 25, 2015
its just how it works what would we look like wearing elephant clothes they drop those things for us idk how it works but thats the way it is and its not like he's wearing the clothes he drops ....its just complicated

Explorer
Jul 20, 2014
That's kind of just how it works. I think that is to make it fair so that certain bosses can be farmed by any school and not just the school that the boss is. So for the Jade Oni, it is not fair that only Life wizards can farm it. Same with Malistaire. It wouldn't be fair if only Death wizards could farm him. I think it's really just to make things fair.

Level 34

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Leesha Starforge on Apr 1, 2015 wrote:
That's kind of just how it works. I think that is to make it fair so that certain bosses can be farmed by any school and not just the school that the boss is. So for the Jade Oni, it is not fair that only Life wizards can farm it. Same with Malistaire. It wouldn't be fair if only Death wizards could farm him. I think it's really just to make things fair.

Level 34
The name of the items droped could be anything. But the cap and boots mentioned above are specifically called "Jade Oni's Cap" and "Jade Oni's Boots" even though its impossible for a life creature to equip them (never mind an elephant!!!).

Obviously bosses drop lots of weird stuff that makes no sense (pets? furniture items? music themes?). I just find it strange that gear named specifically for the boss is unsuitable for that boss. Sometimes even opposite in characterstics (ex: live vs death).

Just an observation.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
RottenHeart on Apr 2, 2015 wrote:
The name of the items droped could be anything. But the cap and boots mentioned above are specifically called "Jade Oni's Cap" and "Jade Oni's Boots" even though its impossible for a life creature to equip them (never mind an elephant!!!).

Obviously bosses drop lots of weird stuff that makes no sense (pets? furniture items? music themes?). I just find it strange that gear named specifically for the boss is unsuitable for that boss. Sometimes even opposite in characterstics (ex: live vs death).

Just an observation.
Just because something carries a name doesn't mean it's made for that person or belongs to them. It could be made by them too. I wear Levi's, I'm pretty sure they weren't made only for people named Levi.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
seethe42 on Apr 2, 2015 wrote:
Just because something carries a name doesn't mean it's made for that person or belongs to them. It could be made by them too. I wear Levi's, I'm pretty sure they weren't made only for people named Levi.
I understand what you are saying, but no.... that doesn't really make any sense in the context of the game. Its a pretty big stretch to suggest that bosses like Jade Oni and Malistare are producing outfits to hand out to wizard kids that defeat them. It really does not fit the story.

Game mechanism... yes the bosses are handing out gifts to anybody that defeats them. But thats just the mechanism, not the story. There is nothing to suggest the Jade Elephant has a factory of under paid nina pigs mass producing hats and boots.

Although it would explain why there is a huge surplus of clothing and weapons within the Spiral.

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
I eat Little Debbie Snack Cakes. If only Debbie's could eat them they'd go broke fast.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
RottenHeart on Apr 3, 2015 wrote:
I understand what you are saying, but no.... that doesn't really make any sense in the context of the game. Its a pretty big stretch to suggest that bosses like Jade Oni and Malistare are producing outfits to hand out to wizard kids that defeat them. It really does not fit the story.

Game mechanism... yes the bosses are handing out gifts to anybody that defeats them. But thats just the mechanism, not the story. There is nothing to suggest the Jade Elephant has a factory of under paid nina pigs mass producing hats and boots.

Although it would explain why there is a huge surplus of clothing and weapons within the Spiral.
They are bosses, having gear made for their followers makes perfect sense. There is nothing to suggest otherwise. If I went and defeated Darth Vader I wouldn't be surprised to find a few extra sets of Stormtrooper armor and weapons lying around the base. Yes it's a game mechanism, but you are reading WAY too much into the name. Having the boss's name attached makes it easy to know where you got it. It's really that simple, just leave it alone.

Survivor
Jan 24, 2010
Well do you have a suggestion on how to get the gear mechanic of the game more realistic? I really think its not that big of a deal. If you want to get technical then we shouldnt be able to even defeat the Jade Oni again once a wizard has already defeated him. He is dead how can another wizard defeat him again.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
bendello on Apr 5, 2015 wrote:
Well do you have a suggestion on how to get the gear mechanic of the game more realistic? I really think its not that big of a deal. If you want to get technical then we shouldnt be able to even defeat the Jade Oni again once a wizard has already defeated him. He is dead how can another wizard defeat him again.
My OP was originally intended as a funny observation.

But since you ask, yes with minimal imagination better ideas can be thought of.

Example:
Jade Oni could drop the exact same items he currently does with the following differences:
- A nice matching set of LIFE gear approriate to the boss could be named Jade Oni's Hat, Jade Oni's boots, ... etc.
- The Jade Oni could drop non-life school gear named something else. Such as Imperial Hat, Imperial Boots, ... etc.

Star Wars example:
You defeat Darth Vader.
- You pick up Dath Vader's black helmet, its called Darth Vader's Helmet.
- You pick up a white Storm Trooper's Helmet, its called Imperial Storm Trooper Helmet.
*** You certainly do not pick up a white helmet and call it Darth Vader's Helmet. ***

Pretty simple kids.

Explorer
Sep 05, 2009
By the logic you are putting out that would mean for say, darkmoor, NOBODY would be able to use his gear unless their primary school was shadow

Survivor
May 30, 2013
gear is gear you have a chance of getting good stuff and bad stuff and they cant make particular stuff from the bosses so can only get the stuff that is there