Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Impossible for privates to start pvp

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 06, 2009
so my new character started pvp and i thought i was going against another lvl 10 or 11 private i was wrong i went up against a corporal a veteran and a even a warlord i and horrible at pvp and i can't even win them because i'm out skilled

lvl 99 3311

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
Don't expect to start winning right off the bat. Watch what your opponents do and try emulating them. One tactic that tends to work well(you know it works when others complain about it) is using TC. But this does not mean use any old TC. Use those that you believe work well with your deck. There's probably a lot of other people on these boards who can help you besides me as well. But know this. It's not impossible to start PVP as a private. Everyone else has done so to get their rank and where they are today. It just takes work, some skill... and no small amount of luck.

Survivor
Mar 24, 2009
I agree. I face level 100s on my level 35. My 35 is a corp.

Champion
Aug 15, 2012
Exactly! I waited until this issue was (supposedly) fixed before starting pvp. Now, a new button appears that you have to click to challenge others out of your skill range. I never hit this button but still I go against Commanders Veterans and Warlords almost every single time. The only two private matches I have been in, I won and all the others were against higher ranks ...
Sarai Thunderstrider
Master

Survivor
May 02, 2014
The Wyrm on Jun 19, 2014 wrote:
so my new character started pvp and i thought i was going against another lvl 10 or 11 private i was wrong i went up against a corporal a veteran and a even a warlord i and horrible at pvp and i can't even win them because i'm out skilled

lvl 99 3311
1. Don't have to listen to warlord
2. Buy tc spells like fire hound storm tempest balance judgment spell.
3. Buy tc tower shield life armor ice armor shield
4. Train a pet to adult.

I hope that helps

Kymma lvl 16

Defender
Oct 10, 2010

lvl 99 3311
Wyrm,

That is exactly why they have a PVP practice section, where you can choose the level you want to fight.
In Practice, you have no need to worry about the Skill level, as it's only practice. Plus you gain valuable insight into how to PvP, by playing skilled players.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Fiery Autumn on Jun 19, 2014 wrote:
I agree. I face level 100s on my level 35. My 35 is a corp.
No you don't. Your rank would have to be over 9000 to face Exalteds as a magus corporal.

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
I started as a private, pretty sure we all did. I'm a warlord now, you can be too. Just keep trying and using your brain, you will get there.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
I like some of the suggestions I've seen on the board. Just because you consider yourself to not have a great strategy you should try looking at other strategies or maybe look at guides on some fansites. Personally I've found that starting as a private, having the level 5 crowns gear (the set that gives a ton of health) is beyond valuable. The ascendant staff is amazing too. At that level however you would find that your best chance would come from a reliable TC, I would suggest Firezilla, those things rock!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
i get what the op is saying, and it's very true of the upper levels.

my max-level balance wizard only got into pvp at level 55; as a result, all of her opponents were already commanders and warlords, and it was quite difficult for her to rank up.

(dropped gear was all i had to work with, vs. the pvp elite gear; there was no such thing as waterworks gear or infallible, or may cast fairy... it was a very-different spiral back then).

so, when it came to my last wizard, i tailored her setup specifically for pvp; it was hard at first, since i had to figure out what worked and what didn't, and that meant a lot of losses. but i learned from them. if i couldn't beat 'em, i joined 'em... and then beat 'em at their own game.

i'm 13 points away from captain now; but i put in a ton of work to get there.

-von
Angela "Knight"flame

Survivor
Apr 29, 2014
It is all but impossible these days to start pvp because so many already have gear you just cannot beat. Whats worse is if you leveled first you can forget pvp. Best you can do is break even. Most people I know start at level 5 or 10. Thats your best shot. I wish KI would fix this but it probably comes down to not enough people in pvp to have a functional matching system.

I know when I did pvp at 40 I would win one and immediately be thrown up against a warlord in full gear who was level 60. Yeah not going to win that. Dont care what anyone says. I have pvp'd extensively and the warlord gear gives them such an advantage that you cannot beat them. They should have made the gear for looks with a few perks and not the ridiculous resist.

I have pvp'd at different levels and even when I talk to people who do nothing but pvp they say the same thing I just did. Your best bet start at level 5 or 10 with pack gear and some crown shop stuff. You still may not be able to rank up but its your best shot. Until the system is fixed it will forever be broken.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Kane Lightbringer on Jun 22, 2014 wrote:
It is all but impossible these days to start pvp because so many already have gear you just cannot beat. Whats worse is if you leveled first you can forget pvp. Best you can do is break even. Most people I know start at level 5 or 10. Thats your best shot. I wish KI would fix this but it probably comes down to not enough people in pvp to have a functional matching system.

I know when I did pvp at 40 I would win one and immediately be thrown up against a warlord in full gear who was level 60. Yeah not going to win that. Dont care what anyone says. I have pvp'd extensively and the warlord gear gives them such an advantage that you cannot beat them. They should have made the gear for looks with a few perks and not the ridiculous resist.

I have pvp'd at different levels and even when I talk to people who do nothing but pvp they say the same thing I just did. Your best bet start at level 5 or 10 with pack gear and some crown shop stuff. You still may not be able to rank up but its your best shot. Until the system is fixed it will forever be broken.
I agree; the easiest way to do it is to start at level 5-10 with crowns gear. I wish I had thought of that.

Ever since I got my vet badge, all of my opponents have been grandmasters (some privates, mostly corporals and sergeants) or low-level warlords with 50-60 universal resist (higher, if they have jade gear and/or a perfect pet). Armour piercing only goes so far, y'know.

Now that I'm a captain, I really won't be surprised if my next opponent is a level 60 warlord in full WW gear. I'm level 34. Legends have critical, higher power pips and resist... There's only one way that the fight will end, and that's very, very badly (for me, anyway~ can't speak for the legend who gets an easy win).

I understand a challenge, but pairing a magus with a legend is ridiculous. I'm sure I could probably figure out a way around their massive crit and resist, but it involves me losing (a lot).

-von "El Capitan" shadowsong
magus captain

Defender
Jan 13, 2013
I still go through Warlords as a private o. o

Gosh, they need to fix this.

KI really thinks I can pair up with warlords at my rank? No, I can't.
Does KI think I have a perfect warlord strategy as a private? No, I don't.
I never went through a:

Veteran
Corporal
Private

Just Warlords captains and commanders!

Its getting annoying. I agree that's its impossible for a private to start pvp.

Survivor
May 21, 2011
My is now a level 18 Warlord, and I go up against level 50+. PvP is about strategy and being prepared for anything, because no one tells you what you're signing up for. You need to be prepared to fight any school, any level, at any time. I would recommend packing storm shields since storm wizards are extremely common in PvP and some infallible TC (you can get these at the Bazaar) to help pierce through Commander/Warlord resist that can sometimes be 40+.

Good luck!
(I would also recommend the level 5 Crowns gear, if you don't have Crowns you can farm those items from Lord Nightshade).

Survivor
Jan 18, 2013
Same with me, I start a lvl 13 char and start to think , hey, I should try to be Captain or Commander, but it is literally impossible! I get faced with lower lvls of me, get faced with Warlords and Commanders, and get harassed by loosing to them! PvP needs to get more fair, and for me, I think they should turn of TC for it, because it gets to unfair to win. And I'm not skilled at PvP, and just saying you need to manipulate them and stuff will not help. Like how would I manipulate them if they still beat me with the tc?

Survivor
Nov 30, 2013
Dark Kymma on Jun 20, 2014 wrote:
1. Don't have to listen to warlord
2. Buy tc spells like fire hound storm tempest balance judgment spell.
3. Buy tc tower shield life armor ice armor shield
4. Train a pet to adult.

I hope that helps

Kymma lvl 16
Ok I see where your going but tempest not so great and pet at least to ancient :p

Survivor
Nov 30, 2013
For all of you that say pvp is impossible!!! Trust me it's not... Starting at private and facing warlords is not hard. Unless your a lvl 20 or lower But still buy really good tc like tower shield and shatter maybe judgement. It also matters what school you are. Use your school to its advantages.. Such as storm... Storm is a damage type don't try to shield a lot (not saying don't shield) attack most of the time in battle. Ice is known for surviving in battle shield a lot and heal.

Katie 32 Caption

Survivor
Mar 17, 2014

lvl 99 3311
I have heard to much complaining so i am making a level 1 ice guide. Get a friend to take you to get you to the bazaar. get the resist gear. Buy a starfish pet. for resist. and may cast sprite. Now the deck setup. 3 frost beetle obviously. stun block.. The treasure cards, One icebird tc one monstrous and then as many tower shields as you can. that strategy got me to warlord

Survivor
May 02, 2014
You can beat a warlord when you are a private.

I'm a warlord now but when I win like 2 wins as a warlord a private beats me in there's.

I don't say GG to the bullies I say meow to the warlords that call everyone a noob.

If I was a noob I wouldn't gotten to warlord.

Kymma lvl 27 wizard ranked warlord

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
Everyone starts at private. Being a private is the easiest PvP will ever be.

Explorer
Feb 17, 2011
At first i was horrible at pvp (still am), but i'm not a big tc fan. But my pvp skills went up as i started using tc. Best ones are judgement, wind bolt (if you get lucky enough for the highest amount of damage), the different hounds, and fire/bone dragon are some good ones to use. You just need to find a good strategy, stick to it, and then you'll be a warlord before you know it.

Defender
Jun 13, 2009
Thats why when I started pvp I teamed up with a warlord so the ranks balanced out and we won most matches. i got from private to captain doing that then the rest of the way to commander I fought by myself.

Mason Greenbane Exalted

Survivor
Jul 28, 2014
I'm level 28 storm (down ranked to 0 rank for fun) the first match i get as a rank 0 is a level 25 commander? And on top of that they went first...? The pvp just gets worse every year it seems

Champion
Jul 13, 2013
I face level 10 warlords with my Grandmaster and I lose and they get 30 arena tickets. Seems like everyone who does PVP is a warlord.

Explorer
Oct 22, 2009
I can assist anyone who wants to learn pvp strategies etc at the lower levels.

I do tons of PVP at intiate, adept, and magus levels, and do well, even though I do not treasure.

If anyone would like to team up for fun, and to get some experience, let me know.