Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Unfairness with Shadow/Global spells

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
I find it unfair that certain schools get useless global spells, namely Death and Balance. Doom and Gloom merely thwarts healing, making it pretty much useless in anywhere but PvP. Balance's Power Play is only semi-useful in the early game, but at later levels becomes a threat to your party. Other schools get damage-boosting globals, and Life gets a heal boosting global, but Death and Balance just have globals that hurt their friends as much as them. Balance and Death should get damage boosting globals, like all the other schools.
As we all know, different schools learn different free Shadow spells. The more offense-geared schools, , learn Shadow Shrike. , a healing-based school, learns Shadow Seraph. Ice, a defensive (read: nigh-invulnerable) school learns Shadow Sentinel. What do Death and Balance get? The dregs, Shadow spells assigned to them because the developers had nowhere else to put them. Balance has slightly more healing capability than other non-Life schools, so it gets stuck with Shadow Seraph, which will likely never be used by any self-respecting Sorcerer. Death, on the other hand, gets saddled with Shadow Sentinel, a purely defensive spell. I find this ironic, as Balance is more of a defensive school than Death with its tri-shields and greater health. Death school's main source of healing is drains, so turning into Shadow Sentinel is more of a liability.
My idea to rectify this: Shadow Sentinel, Seraph, and Shrike will not be given for free (you have to learn any of these) The shadow spell you do get for free will be a special one tailored to your school. These spells will also have Loves, which decrease backlash by 15%
Shadow Bolt: Shadow Bolt will give Storm wizards an extra 35% Storm damage boost. It will also give a 20% stun chance on any attack. Diviners using this spell will take 10% more damage, so be sure to be well protected before you transform. Shadow Bolt likes blades and traps, loves attacks, but dislikes healing.
Shadow Flare: Shadow Flare increases outgoing Fire damage by 25%, and adds a bonus round to a DOT spell. Each DOT hit will do 10% less damage, to avoid making the spell too OP. Pyromancers in this form will have a 10% greater chance to fizzle, so bring good accuracy gear. Shadow Flare likes blades and attacks, loves DOT attacks, and dislikes healing.
Shadow Warlock: Shadow Warlock will do 20% more Myth damage. It has a further 50% chance to remove a positive charm on a random opponent, and a 50% chance to remove a positive ward on a random opponent. Conjurers using this form will be unable to cast any off-school spells, and take 5% more damage. Shadow Warlock likes traps and attacks, loves Pierce, Shatter, and Earthquake, and dislikes heals.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Shadow Siphon: Shadow Siphon gives Necromancers 15% more Death damage and an extra 50 death critical rating. It also increases heal from drain spells to 2/3 of the spell' damage. In Shadow Siphon form, incoming and outgoing heals will be decreased by 65%. Shadow Siphon likes traps and blades, and loves drain spells. It dislikes shields and being healed.
Ok, I actually have no idea for Life. Shadow Seraph is actually pretty good, but I would make it love group heals and a greater healing boost.
Ice does get a decent spell now, but I'll try. Shadow Colossus: Shadow Colossus gives a bonus critical block of +70, and takes 10% less damage. It also has a 33% chance to cheat-cast a single target taunt on an opponent. This is repeated for each opponent. Shadow Colossus suffers from a -40% outgoing damage. It likes shielding and weakness, loves Taunt and Legion Shield, and dislikes attacking, blades, or traps.
Shadow Blitzer. When in Shadow Blitzer form, you take 10% more damage and do 10% less damage, but your entire team does 10% more damage and takes 5% less. Shadow Blitzer likes blading and shielding others, loves Bladestorm and Donate Power, and dislikes blading or shielding yourself.

If anyone has any comments, I would love to hear them! If you don't like these, please don't just say "no" or "its bad", I really want to know what I can do better!

Survivor
Jan 06, 2014
Defender
Jan 03, 2013
Robobot1747 on Mar 22, 2014 wrote:
I find it unfair that certain schools get useless global spells, namely Death and Balance. Doom and Gloom merely thwarts healing, making it pretty much useless in anywhere but PvP. Balance's Power Play is only semi-useful in the early game, but at later levels becomes a threat to your party. Other schools get damage-boosting globals, and Life gets a heal boosting global, but Death and Balance just have globals that hurt their friends as much as them. Balance and Death should get damage boosting globals, like all the other schools.
As we all know, different schools learn different free Shadow spells. The more offense-geared schools, , learn Shadow Shrike. , a healing-based school, learns Shadow Seraph. Ice, a defensive (read: nigh-invulnerable) school learns Shadow Sentinel. What do Death and Balance get? The dregs, Shadow spells assigned to them because the developers had nowhere else to put them. Balance has slightly more healing capability than other non-Life schools, so it gets stuck with Shadow Seraph, which will likely never be used by any self-respecting Sorcerer. Death, on the other hand, gets saddled with Shadow Sentinel, a purely defensive spell. I find this ironic, as Balance is more of a defensive school than Death with its tri-shields and greater health. Death school's main source of healing is drains, so turning into Shadow Sentinel is more of a liability.
My idea to rectify this: Shadow Sentinel, Seraph, and Shrike will not be given for free (you have to learn any of these) The shadow spell you do get for free will be a special one tailored to your school. These spells will also have Loves, which decrease backlash by 15%
Shadow Bolt: Shadow Bolt will give Storm wizards an extra 35% Storm damage boost. It will also give a 20% stun chance on any attack. Diviners using this spell will take 10% more damage, so be sure to be well protected before you transform. Shadow Bolt likes blades and traps, loves attacks, but dislikes healing.
Shadow Flare: Shadow Flare increases outgoing Fire damage by 25%, and adds a bonus round to a DOT spell. Each DOT hit will do 10% less damage, to avoid making the spell too OP. Pyromancers in this form will have a 10% greater chance to fizzle, so bring good accuracy gear. Shadow Flare likes blades and attacks, loves DOT attacks, and dislikes healing.
Shadow Warlock: Shadow Warlock will do 20% more Myth damage. It has a further 50% chance to remove a positive charm on a random opponent, and a 50% chance to remove a positive ward on a random opponent. Conjurers using this form will be unable to cast any off-school spells, and take 5% more damage. Shadow Warlock likes traps and attacks, loves Pierce, Shatter, and Earthquake, and dislikes heals.
Death does get a damage field but not manifestably... one spell is Red Ghost and you can find it on a pet. Although being, one a hassle to find and two a waste of attack, it gets a boost.
Balance to me seems fine, balance normally doesn't need a field since they carry about 50 percent of all blades in game, manifestably or not.
The assumption of spell wise for Shadow spells: I have to rather disagree with the fact, "Balance is a more defensive school" both are actually equal. How? Your statement, we have drains is part right but we also have more gear that adds universal resist to us than balance does. Balance more focuses on the defenses of either the Spiritual or Elemental Classes, not universal. Causing if one to be the opposite of your resisted gear for balance, then it gets you in a pickle. Whilst Death is more focused on absorbing damage (Keyword absorbing) and draining the damages to return as health. So I think the decision for making Death's Shadow Sentinel is fair, but I don't see disagreeing with Balances, Shadow Seraph. Almost a lot of Balances I see wear either a Life Mastery Amulet or a Myth mastery, and with the life amulet it tends to supply more abilities to heal. Besides that Balances has two heals for itself.
Now your shadow spells:
Storm: Too extremely OP, this would make almost all PvPers quit even with the self-inflicting damage bonus for the spell. It makes them too powerful and could use a kraken and kill with a single hit.
Fire: Yet again too OP, adding a DOT would also make PvPers not want to PvP since most Fires and Ices rely on their hangs for damage and would gain too easy a win to progress them up the PvP Ladder, even with the fizzle chance since they can just add a good accuracy pet to avoid it.
Myth: Too OP, (Sense a pattern with damages?), but I do see potential in a remove charm effect but not on shadow spells, id rather see it be more implemented on a pet than a spell, same for wards. Being also the effects of not using other schools, doesn't dampen myth at all. Its kinda pointless to put that in.
Death: As a death myself, even I see this as too OP, not for damage but the critical. Also adding drain average increases makes it too drain heavy. Also too Incoming heals and outgoing don't count for drains making that pointless, unless ones idea is to use Sacrifice 20 times.
Life: Keep it as is.
Ice: Too OP for critical block, Resist makes it become universal immune which that automatically would become banned from PvP for it being too unfair an advantage. Also taunting doesn't help in any strategy except to help a friend from being hit. The damage reduction is sort of detrimental too.

Balance: Now this! Is something that can be ok, except for the team taking five less damage percentage. I like the fact you take the hit so you can supply others with more power. Sort of like a blander Shadow Shrike, like a beginner spell. I like it!

Best of Luck,
Kane DB 95

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Shadow Blitzer. When in Shadow Blitzer form, you take 10% more damage and do 10% less damage, but your entire team does 10% more damage and takes 5% less. Shadow Blitzer likes blading and shielding others, loves Bladestorm and Donate Power, and dislikes blading or shielding yourself.
I don't dislike many ideas. But, if this ever happened, I would quit the game.

Whether in groups or solo, I don't want to be pigeonholed into a particular style. It's like trying to shove a square peg into a round hole.

The game doesn't need any more shadow spells; the existing ones are broken enough.

-von
promethean x3

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Power Play has been a fail from day one. I have no idea why it has been left as-is, but no one likes it or uses it. Balance should get a better bubble, and for goodness sake please don't ruin good wands and gear items with that useless spell. The Silver Order of the Spiral would be the perfect wand for my Life wiz if not cluttered with two of that wretched card.