Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Get Rid of Pets in PvP...?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jan 25, 2009
Well uh, I'm actually feeling slightly nervous about writing this.... I'll make it short and simple...

allowing pets in PvP can make things feel overwhelmingly competitive, and, to get the "dream pet" you need to invest the money to get a naturally reliable pet (such as sea dragon), and spend money on mega snack packs, which becomes "pay to win" in a sense... Not to forget this game was intended to be a kid/family game, and the whole concept of pet stats and how it affects PvP is a bit too WoW like.... lots of MMOs only allow pet usage for PvE, or in other words, just not in PvP.

Perhaps there's someone who agrees with me and can speak their opinion in a better, and more convincing attitude than me.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
I don't think that's a very bad idea. My pets aren't exactly a great role in winning in PvP, so I can't really go against this idea. I'm totally fine with people' and their pets, though. I just feel a little bad for the youngers members of Wizard101. Sometimes they don't have enough time to train a pet, sometimes they give up because of the tedium, or sometimes they don't really think about it.

However, removing pets in PvP would probably make a lot of wizards upset. Sometimes a wizard will actually rely on their pet for victory. (But to be honest, I don't think a wizard should really have a pet like that.) If KI did make this happen, the wizards like that would probably get angry and claim that everyone with mediocre pets are too lazy to train their pets.

But you make a great point in saying that other MMO RPG's do this as well, so if the other people have been able to deal with it, we should be just as fine. If we aren't able, then we must not be mature enough for such a change.

I agree with you on this topic, I'm just pretty sure a lot of people don't. Maybe we could have an extra option when creating PvP. Perhaps an option allowing pets or not. Thanks for reading my opinion.
~ Courtney I. Transcendent

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
KorekuEternal on Aug 20, 2013 wrote:
Well uh, I'm actually feeling slightly nervous about writing this.... I'll make it short and simple...

allowing pets in PvP can make things feel overwhelmingly competitive, and, to get the "dream pet" you need to invest the money to get a naturally reliable pet (such as sea dragon), and spend money on mega snack packs, which becomes "pay to win" in a sense... Not to forget this game was intended to be a kid/family game, and the whole concept of pet stats and how it affects PvP is a bit too WoW like.... lots of MMOs only allow pet usage for PvE, or in other words, just not in PvP.

Perhaps there's someone who agrees with me and can speak their opinion in a better, and more convincing attitude than me.
I honestly don't think this is a good idea. People have invested too much in their pets, if they are willing to spend 400,000 gold to hatch a pet over and over again then good for them! They deserve it. And you DON'T have to have a certain "natrually reliable pet". I have 2 accounts, one of them is newer and I wanted to start PvPing on the character that I had made (Wolf Legend level 30) and needed a pet. I got a Krok, orginally thinking that it'd be cool to get a super awesome Krok pet. So I bought it and trained it, then hatch with my main account and got something completely different. A carnation pixie I believe. This pet got sprite and pierce. Then I hatched again using this "enhanced pet" and got a pet that gives MC pierce, proof, and defy. On the second hatch, with one of the 2 first pets having a pedigree of around 32. You can make a good pet out of anything.

Wolf Legend and Skullslinger

Explorer
Apr 01, 2011
Twilight Angel on Aug 20, 2013 wrote:
I don't think that's a very bad idea. My pets aren't exactly a great role in winning in PvP, so I can't really go against this idea. I'm totally fine with people' and their pets, though. I just feel a little bad for the youngers members of Wizard101. Sometimes they don't have enough time to train a pet, sometimes they give up because of the tedium, or sometimes they don't really think about it.

However, removing pets in PvP would probably make a lot of wizards upset. Sometimes a wizard will actually rely on their pet for victory. (But to be honest, I don't think a wizard should really have a pet like that.) If KI did make this happen, the wizards like that would probably get angry and claim that everyone with mediocre pets are too lazy to train their pets.

But you make a great point in saying that other MMO RPG's do this as well, so if the other people have been able to deal with it, we should be just as fine. If we aren't able, then we must not be mature enough for such a change.

I agree with you on this topic, I'm just pretty sure a lot of people don't. Maybe we could have an extra option when creating PvP. Perhaps an option allowing pets or not. Thanks for reading my opinion.
~ Courtney I. Transcendent
Having that option is a great idea! That would add more of a challenge to those who want it . Wizards who don't have good pets would benefit from that too!

Rebecca Bright Level 90
Miranda Shadowflame Level 90
Sabrina Emeraldblossom Level 85
Victoria Roseblood Level 82
Diana Moonflower Level 77
Christina Goldenheart Level 71

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
KorekuEternal on Aug 20, 2013 wrote:

there are lots of ways of getting mega snacks without it being "pay to win" you can garden the right plants if you have a friend with winterbane once i got 3 25petxp snacks from beating tier one winterbane once

Mastermind
Feb 06, 2010
No money or megas needed. Just hard work and devotion for a good pet. And not having your best buddy in a battle is unrealistic. They could be in the crowd to cheer you on, and for hatching funds, 20,000+ crowns is needed and no one wants to spend that much money. Simply another case of time vs. crowns. But pet heals should be taken away. In the old days of no pets it was skill only. I want it to be that way again.

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
No.

Well, I could probably argue the same thing with good gear in pvp, makes it overwhelmingly competitive, why don't we ban gear too? ( I was joking, no need to write a hate post)

I have spent countless 40 000 gold per hatch, don't take that away from me!

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
I had no problem with pets, until May cast Fairy entered into the world, and then may cast (storm healing current) showed up. For mid level and low level, these can be fairly hard to overcome in a PvP match.
But, to take them away from PvP, after all the time and effort we put into them, wouldn't be right.
If anything, I just think that how often the "May Cast" goes off or triggers should be reduced.

I have had many wizards down under a 400 or even 100 health, and then the May Cast kicks in, over and
over, and almost healst them back to full health. This is where I feel it becomes a bit frustrating.
On the other hand, I have never complained about the rate in PVE.......

Defender
Sep 19, 2010
Veracity8 on Aug 30, 2013 wrote:
I had no problem with pets, until May cast Fairy entered into the world, and then may cast (storm healing current) showed up. For mid level and low level, these can be fairly hard to overcome in a PvP match.
But, to take them away from PvP, after all the time and effort we put into them, wouldn't be right.
If anything, I just think that how often the "May Cast" goes off or triggers should be reduced.

I have had many wizards down under a 400 or even 100 health, and then the May Cast kicks in, over and
over, and almost healst them back to full health. This is where I feel it becomes a bit frustrating.
On the other hand, I have never complained about the rate in PVE.......
Agreed. When your fighting someone at Magus PvP level with 1400 health, its very annoying hitting a 1200 damage attack and having a pet go sprite 1000 healing current fairy. I think that having cast rates proportional to level would be nice, so that there isn't so many people with a 3-5 healer pet just trolling it up at grandmaster and below.

Survivor
Apr 26, 2010
1320Wraith on Aug 31, 2013 wrote:
Agreed. When your fighting someone at Magus PvP level with 1400 health, its very annoying hitting a 1200 damage attack and having a pet go sprite 1000 healing current fairy. I think that having cast rates proportional to level would be nice, so that there isn't so many people with a 3-5 healer pet just trolling it up at grandmaster and below.
Annoying, yes. Cause for a nerf? No. You have access to everything they do. If they take the time to get a pet that heals a lot and you don't, well, it's an earned advantage for them. Yes, I have been in battles where my pet has spammed me with fairy. I have also been in excruciatingly long, difficult battles, where my pet hasn't cast anything a single time. Again, if you don't like them having an advantage, even the field, hatch for a good pet yourself. A perfect pet takes time, but a half-decent pet with Fairy and +8 resist? Not hard at all.

Survivor
Jan 20, 2010
Hi all !

Sorry but I'm 1--% against the idea !

Pvp players get so many arena ticket points as reward and get the good stuff so I really don't see why players wouldn't be able to have their pets in the fights if they worked for them just as hard as they're fighting in pvp !

To be honest, If you're a good pvper, a pet will help but won't be the predicament of the fight
, the player will ! You need to know how to adapt to everything and anticipate and make a all around deck that would be ready for any/all possibilities !

I hardly see why people who have awesome pets should be penalized for it, if you do not like your pet thentrain a new one, you do not absolutely need mega snack packs btw and I would know having trained 12 mega pets so far and a bout a dozen epics.

Training pets takes perseverance, patience and hard work, why should the player with all these attributes be penalized just because he has a great pet to reward him of his hard work ?

Leave the pets as they are, this is my opinion !

Fight on !

Defender
Sep 19, 2010
Charles the Healer on Aug 31, 2013 wrote:
Annoying, yes. Cause for a nerf? No. You have access to everything they do. If they take the time to get a pet that heals a lot and you don't, well, it's an earned advantage for them. Yes, I have been in battles where my pet has spammed me with fairy. I have also been in excruciatingly long, difficult battles, where my pet hasn't cast anything a single time. Again, if you don't like them having an advantage, even the field, hatch for a good pet yourself. A perfect pet takes time, but a half-decent pet with Fairy and +8 resist? Not hard at all.
I have pets with SPUDF, with 5 casting heals, and with 4 resists and fairy; I never said that my pet can't do those things as well. I said that its annoying when it happens, and its annoying when it happens on me as well I'm sure. PvP started out as PlayervPlayer; now its changed into PetvPet. It's really not much fun to have to have everyone change into a one hit kill, no overtimes tactic because if they survive, even by just 5-6 health, they're going to be at full once all the animations finish up.

Survivor
Apr 26, 2010
1320Wraith on Sep 1, 2013 wrote:
I have pets with SPUDF, with 5 casting heals, and with 4 resists and fairy; I never said that my pet can't do those things as well. I said that its annoying when it happens, and its annoying when it happens on me as well I'm sure. PvP started out as PlayervPlayer; now its changed into PetvPet. It's really not much fun to have to have everyone change into a one hit kill, no overtimes tactic because if they survive, even by just 5-6 health, they're going to be at full once all the animations finish up.
PvP is STILL Player versus Player. I use overtime tactics, it works quite well. If you don't want to let your opponent heal, or let their pet heal, then supress heals. Life/storm dispels, Infections, Doom and Gloom. Plenty of ways to make them not heal. How about instead of trying to make the game change to make it easier, you step up and play the game the way it is? I do not intend to be rude by this post, and I hope it is not taken that way.

Survivor
Nov 17, 2010
No offensive but that a bad idea because pets help people win there in trouble and helps them win like for me my ice hound ancient talents sprite res 8 ice shield an with all that it helped me win pvp battles and add resist to me. Also anyone could get a good pet you just have to hatch and mix with better pets or look what you need to add to your pet. So if Kingslsle get rid of pet for Pvp a lot of lower level then celestial will be mad because they need their pets to help them.

Brandon 13 warlord
And wolf 85

Survivor
Sep 11, 2012
1320Wraith on Sep 1, 2013 wrote:
I want a better reason than "It`s really not much fun to have to have everyone change into a one-hit kill." (with a hyphen.)

Delver
Feb 25, 2013
I say keep them! The slight boost from my giraffe helps me a little, and it's pulled me out of some tight spots on my storm. And don't get me started on Allison and Roxie. Stun block and critical block (90 each) is useful! Increddibly useful! Stunning is the worst in pvp in my oppinion. (I guess it's actually storm lord, damage and a stun...) My little Roxie and Lexi shound NOT be banned from pvp. And at a higher level Allison is going to start group pvp. If she's going to succeed (unlike Destiny) she will get good use out of her pets may cast.

Destiny Windgem, level 55

Allison Starsong, level 8

Survivor
Nov 02, 2012
(Probably gonna get PvP'er hate from this.)

In my perspective, pets should be only used in PvE
In my thoughts using them in PvP ruins the concept of "Player versus player".

Also think the same way with low levels using high level treasure cards.

Valdus level 39