Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What is the Point of Obsidian Chests?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
I was farming lord nightshade the other day and saw the obsidian chest. I know that you can buy one in the bazaar 99% of the time, but I was wondering, what is the point of it? And are they're more in other worlds? It baffled me because I don't know its real purpose

Blaze IronBlade lvl 39 pyromancer
Alric IronBlade lvl 11 theurgist
Ian TitanFist lvl 19 conjurer

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
There are others in other worlds; in Dragonspyre you get a quest to go back and find all of them.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
GodOfWizards1030 on Jun 15, 2013 wrote:
I was farming lord nightshade the other day and saw the obsidian chest. I know that you can buy one in the bazaar 99% of the time, but I was wondering, what is the point of it? And are they're more in other worlds? It baffled me because I don't know its real purpose

Later on in DragonSprye you will get a quest from Ashley to make a Dragon Rider staff for the great dragon ride. There are 9 pcs of this staff scattered around the Spiral and you are sent to collect each pc. The one you have seen is the first one to collect.

Survivor
Mar 31, 2012
not sure what farming is but if you mean fighting I can explain the boxes. Near the end of Dragonspire ( I know it's spelled wrong) you are sent back to ever world and have to fight to collect them. The refights aren't that bad but be aware that there is no quest helper arrows to tell you where the boxes are so you need to check your map.

Mastermind
Jul 04, 2010
Archon
Feb 07, 2011

they are for a quest later on~ i won't tell you which one, but they are extra-special important!

-dr. von awesomestein the undying, esquire

Defender
Oct 21, 2010
Obsidian Chests Are Actually Really Important. There Are 2 In Every World Up To Dragonspyre. Once You Get Into Dragonspyre Academy, They Will Be A BIG Part Of Defeating Malistare. Keep Questing, It Gets Interesting!!

-See Ya In The Spiral!!

Julia DragonLeaf

Archon
Oct 24, 2010

Once you get the quest, you will understand.
And yes, there is an obsidian chest (or more) in each world up to Dragonspyre.

Explorer
Nov 05, 2011
They are for a later quest once you reach Dragonspyre.

Survivor
Apr 21, 2009
Not to spoil the quest, but in DS you have to do a quest called "Wizard Tours" where you have to go around fighting bosses all over the Spiral.

Luis Owlflame, Level 48

Survivor
Mar 30, 2009
There is a quest in a future world that requires you to obtain an item from each chest. I won't spoil it for you.

Defender
Oct 24, 2010
Those are important cause they are a main quest element to the game.
You'll see later on when you get to DS.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
Thanks guys sooo much!!! I was really confused because you can't interact with them at all, but now I know I have an awesome quest to look forward to in DragonSpyre!

Blaze IronBlade lvl 40 Master Pyromancer