Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm Owl too powerful?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Nov 24, 2010
Okay I know that spell deals terrifically high damage, but for storms loss of accuracy, health, defense, and gear resist, the only special stuff they have keeping them an equal school is painful damage and blade killers, so I don't think storm owl is too powerful. And didn't you all even consider my last post? All you gotta do to make that kill strike go away is a little 0 pip storm shield. It's what you call, "defense," everyone.

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
Percy373 on May 31, 2013 wrote:
-_-
They hardly fizzle now with waterworks gear if they are still using it, which most of us are. Death is the fizzle school.
Storm owl can hit 10k with two sharpen blade and a regular blade. Not powerful? Haha you are funny.
You have to put it in perspective. Storm also has bad resist and critical block, usually. So when bosses in AZ start with 5 power pips, we could be dead within a few rounds. Storm needs the ability to kill quick. Without high attacks, storms would die within a few rounds.

Sean Goldblood 90 42

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
why does everyone hate ALL WE HAVE is high damage we don't have decent defense we don't have good accuracy healing current is a low heal it almost never does 1000 and does 100 a lot more then it does 400 enfeeble keeping storm useful without us having the highest damage i think you are confusing storm wizards with cheating storm bosses

Survivor
Jul 16, 2011
I am a life wizard who had seen it attack me many times. I have a lot of heals so it isn't a problem unless they critical. Storm wizards unless they have good storm resist, storm owl is the #1 cause of storm deaths. (At least how I see it) attacking with it is good but not being attacked by it. I think it's fair.

Michael-Promethean Theurgist

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
amazingdiviner13 on Oct 17, 2013 wrote:
You have to put it in perspective. Storm also has bad resist and critical block, usually. So when bosses in AZ start with 5 power pips, we could be dead within a few rounds. Storm needs the ability to kill quick. Without high attacks, storms would die within a few rounds.

Sean Goldblood 90 42
As the owner of an almost-promethean diviner, I agree with this. If you are storm and, for some reason, can't kill within 5 rounds, you may as well consider yourself dead on your feet.

Even though I don't have much for resist or block, my damage is +86%, and I never fizzle: it's what keeps me alive. I still have better defensive stats than most storm wizards I run across, because I have put a lot of time and effort into making sure my wizard is self-sustaining and doesn't need to rely on other people to carry her.

short version: if I am Storm and have better defensive stats than you, you're obviously doing it wrong.

trololol~

-von
promethean something or other

Explorer
Dec 10, 2008
Lol everyone is saying storm shield. Don't forget we have a spell that converts storm to myth for uh, yeah, 0 pips. Your little storm shield is useless.

Explorer
Nov 24, 2010
Don't forget that prisms DON'T work as intended, if they're cast AFTER a shield or trap. The storm owl can ignore the storm shield if the prism is there BEFORE the shield, not after. I learned that the hard way.

Explorer
Feb 16, 2011
Blaze Skullthorn on Nov 25, 2013 wrote:
Lol everyone is saying storm shield. Don't forget we have a spell that converts storm to myth for uh, yeah, 0 pips. Your little storm shield is useless.
HA you obviously don't know that if you put on a shield first then the storm wizard put's on a convert it takes the shield then the convert making it almost useless, or you can just put on a myth shield. Easy to avoid that, and what are the odds that the person won't have a shield up while your trying to get those 10 pips?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
dumbug23 on Jan 24, 2014 wrote:
Don't forget that prisms DON'T work as intended, if they're cast AFTER a shield or trap. The storm owl can ignore the storm shield if the prism is there BEFORE the shield, not after. I learned that the hard way.
You have that backwards. The prism must be cast AFTER the last shield was cast. Prisms work exactly as intended.

Survivor
May 26, 2012
sierraisonfire on May 31, 2013 wrote:
You can never have too much power.

Sierra Ashblood, Legendary
I think the bad thing about it is pvp.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
MustachCashDash on Jan 24, 2014 wrote:
HA you obviously don't know that if you put on a shield first then the storm wizard put's on a convert it takes the shield then the convert making it almost useless, or you can just put on a myth shield. Easy to avoid that, and what are the odds that the person won't have a shield up while your trying to get those 10 pips?
It amazes me that more than one person can totally get this wrong. ONLY a storm shield that was put up AFTER the prism will be activated. You need to have a myth shield cast before the prism or a storm shield cast after the prism to nullify it.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2011
I know it seems overpowered but it really isn't. Here's why I think this: I consider Ice and Storm opposite because one is for damage while the other is for resistance. The thing is that an ice (at level 95) has approximately double the resist of storm (I mean health-wise) because ice will have about 3,600 and storm will have about 1,800 (these are the base health). Then this is why I don't think it is overpowered. With ice having double resist, storm should have double damage but it doesn't. Lord of Winter is around 1,050 damage I believe while storm owl is about 1,500 damage. If it were really overpowered shouldn't it be more than 2,000 because that is the double damage? Now the next spells (either from Khrysalis or the world after) might have storm be double in power but right now it isn't. I am not protesting that storm owl should be stronger, I am just trying to state facts. I hope I'm right about all this opposite stuff but I might not be completely accurate. Please forgive me if anything is wrong.

Explorer
Feb 16, 2011
seethe42 on Jan 25, 2014 wrote:
It amazes me that more than one person can totally get this wrong. ONLY a storm shield that was put up AFTER the prism will be activated. You need to have a myth shield cast before the prism or a storm shield cast after the prism to nullify it.
You can put a Myth shield before or a Storm shield after. Lol I mixed it up :P

Survivor
Jul 22, 2010
WERE Alll weak no matter how strong meaning that the lvl cap hasnt stopped which means new spells an still come out like maybe even over powered am a lvl 82 but honestly i think fire is better than storm ya there strong but what ive seen is that fire has more advantages just need to play it smart when your up vs a storm

Explorer
Nov 27, 2011
Yes maybe, but its one enemy only, if it was global it would be very, very, VERY overpowered. Also, it doesnt add a blade, trap, stun, or something. For example Lord of winter may be not the strongest spell (950-1050) but it removes 3 pips frmo enemy, sabertooth isnt very strong (1000-1100) but it adds a spirit shield, Sun serpent is global, but its just 300 to all enemies + 1000 to the first one i think, Avenging Fossil is something like sun serpent, idk the other spells, but all these spells have their advantages and their disadvantages, there is no perfect spell

Richard FrostBreeze level 77

Survivor
Apr 04, 2010
Explorer
Oct 23, 2011
sierraisonfire on May 31, 2013 wrote:
You can never have too much power.

Sierra Ashblood, Legendary
So even if a spell have one million of damage, its not too much?
IT doesn'T make sense lol.

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
Owl to Powerful? With their attack gear boost? Absolutely. I get it's the damage school but c'mon.

The spell itself isn't so bad it's just the gear stats that are for some.

Unbalanced.

and in particular keep up with this how? Not even keep up, compete with this, how?

Exactly.

Survivor
Aug 22, 2010
Nah i've seen many people use it but i dont pvp it annoys me so much but i want that robe so bad also i have a lvl 84a maxand working on a maxbut overall i think the rank 10 spell Storm Owl is not the OP

Survivor
Aug 06, 2012
I think it's a bit overpowered. Think of it this way: with ONLY a Critical and no character boosts, blades, traps, or Sun enchants, you're already doing over 3000 damage. Add just a Colossal to it, and you're dealing 3600-4000 damage. A Critical Storm Owl can easily OHKO a player with minimal effort.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
It does a lot of damage because, well, that's what Storm does. Death has drains, Fire has DOT, Ice has resist, Life has heals, Myth has stuns and anti-shield moves, and Balance is just about everything. Each school has their special niche. It's not fair to take away Storm's advantage and leave everyone else intact.