Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A bit frustrated with card pack odds....

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 05, 2013
Ok, maybe I am getting upset for no good reason, but I'll post anyways. I am very new to this game so I am completely oblivious to card pack odds etc. started playing this game with my 4 year old son, because he enjoyed it. To make us a better team, I started very lightheartedly researching new spells etc.

Through the minor bit of researching I did, I found out that several new spells could be purchased through card packs.

Attempting to get the Deer Knight and Lord of Death (think that's what he's called) I started buying up tons of knight and shaman packs.

After dozens, I have gotten no spells. I constantly get duplicate housing items, pointless treasure spells, and some occasional gear that I can never use.

Now I am new to this game so I am wondering if I am missing something, if I am just plain unlucky, or are the card odds just ridiculously bad?

Thanks for any help and insights!

Survivor
Jan 22, 2013
Kane Deathwraith on May 17, 2013 wrote:
Ok, maybe I am getting upset for no good reason, but I'll post anyways. I am very new to this game so I am completely oblivious to card pack odds etc. started playing this game with my 4 year old son, because he enjoyed it. To make us a better team, I started very lightheartedly researching new spells etc.

Through the minor bit of researching I did, I found out that several new spells could be purchased through card packs.

Attempting to get the Deer Knight and Lord of Death (think that's what he's called) I started buying up tons of knight and shaman packs.

After dozens, I have gotten no spells. I constantly get duplicate housing items, pointless treasure spells, and some occasional gear that I can never use.

Now I am new to this game so I am wondering if I am missing something, if I am just plain unlucky, or are the card odds just ridiculously bad?

Hi Poveglia! So it looks like you are not understanding things perfectly well when it comes to the packs. Well, I'll try to clear things up for ya :) I'm sorry to say but there is no way to learn a new spell from the packs :( But you can get treasure cards, which were probably what you researched a while ago. And it is also possible to get a spell from gear. I think almost all of the gear from packs gives you a spell. Well for example, If you get a robe from a pack and it says it gives you one card and it is the Unicorn spell, Then the one card for the Unicorn spell gets added to your deck and it might show up during battle. I hope this helps!

Grace Silverdust Level 51 Ice Wizard

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
FrostKitty8160 on May 17, 2013 wrote:
Hi Poveglia! So it looks like you are not understanding things perfectly well when it comes to the packs. Well, I'll try to clear things up for ya :) I'm sorry to say but there is no way to learn a new spell from the packs :( But you can get treasure cards, which were probably what you researched a while ago. And it is also possible to get a spell from gear. I think almost all of the gear from packs gives you a spell. Well for example, If you get a robe from a pack and it says it gives you one card and it is the Unicorn spell, Then the one card for the Unicorn spell gets added to your deck and it might show up during battle. I hope this helps!

You are incorrect.
There are several packs that add spells, NOT treasure cards, to your deck. Deer Knight is one of them. I have that spell on one of the Life wizards.

To the OP, there are no 'odds' all drops, including spells, are random.

Survivor
Apr 11, 2012
Yes you can learn new permanent spells from several card packs, Knights Lore pack-Catalan, Deer Knight, Handsome Fomori,(I have all these), Keepers Lore Packs,-Brimstone Revenant, Keeper of the Flame,Luminous Weaver, Ninja Lore packs-Goat monk, Ninja Pigs, Samori (I have these as well) other packs have them too, you can look these up on wiki. But yes there are some packs that have permanent spell and the drops are very random, I have been playing for several years and lot and lots of crowns for packs, also once a wizard learns one of these spells, that wizard cannot receive the same spell again on that wizard. Hope this helps

Squire
May 10, 2013
FrostKitty8160 on May 17, 2013 wrote:

If your just getting mad that you got bad things in a card pack, simply just buy another one or buy a different pack. Oh, and hope you get lucky to win Gear, Weapons, Pets, Mounts (etc.)

Sean HawkHunter Apprentice Necromancer Level 9

Delver
Aug 14, 2009
Those are called Hoard Packs, you get a chance at receiving something you really want, but it's a low chance since it's completely random.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
Kane Deathwraith on May 17, 2013 wrote:

Its all luck. Back when that deer spell came available. Though I was making amber to craft it myself I had dumped 120k in crowns on that pack solely. I received the other spells ice, storm and what not. Did not get the deer. About a week later I finally had the amber to make deer knight. yay right? then it was a week after that we get an email or something sorry we had a glitch with our pack system and refunded me 60k+ in crowns that i spent during a few day period on packs and gave everyone that received any spell deer knight. Gee if i knew this i would have used the 12 amber that took forever to get making the myth spell :-) oh well...

I have lost interest in the whole pack system, to have the best gear wand etc you have to buy packs i believe this strongly yes i have the best gear in the game and the best sets for global resist, critical or damage. Best pets which have to be re-hatched tons to make perfect.

Now i log in garden and log out w101 to stack up on megas. w101 needs updates with a new world and levels its way over due. I play p101 alot now, an update is coming soon so far p101 is not pack dependent "yet" the best gear is giving you talents that you have to farm hours and hours on end to get.

The one thing to this point on p101 is that anyone can have the best dropped gear end game. Not anyone can in w101 because you have to buy packs the gear is simply not dropped anywhere. If it is and I am wrong wow I am sorry for saying that. :-)

packs are a way ki rakes in the money :-) I like both games :-)

Survivor
Jan 22, 2013
Cockatielmom on May 19, 2013 wrote:
Yes you can learn new permanent spells from several card packs, Knights Lore pack-Catalan, Deer Knight, Handsome Fomori,(I have all these), Keepers Lore Packs,-Brimstone Revenant, Keeper of the Flame,Luminous Weaver, Ninja Lore packs-Goat monk, Ninja Pigs, Samori (I have these as well) other packs have them too, you can look these up on wiki. But yes there are some packs that have permanent spell and the drops are very random, I have been playing for several years and lot and lots of crowns for packs, also once a wizard learns one of these spells, that wizard cannot receive the same spell again on that wizard. Hope this helps
Thanks for letting me know! :) I had know idea that you could get spells from packs. Thanks so much :D

Defender
Nov 01, 2012
Cockatielmom on May 19, 2013 wrote:
Its not even up to seven years -_-
Nice try trying to sound like an old trooper :)

Survivor
Apr 11, 2012
Percy373 on May 21, 2013 wrote:
Its not even up to seven years -_-
Nice try trying to sound like an old trooper :)
If you will read it correctly, I wrote "several" years not "seven" years, please make sure you read things correctly before making rude comments.

Defender
Jan 01, 2009
Cockatielmom on May 21, 2013 wrote:
If you will read it correctly, I wrote "several" years not "seven" years, please make sure you read things correctly before making rude comments.
So, April 2012 till May 2013 equals "several" years now. Hmmm, something new to think about :)

Survivor
Apr 11, 2012
Michael Nightgem on May 22, 2013 wrote:
So, April 2012 till May 2013 equals "several" years now. Hmmm, something new to think about :)
It does when you have more than one account and this one happens to be my third and I have others my grandchildren play. So yes I have been playing for several years, each account has as the date "joined" when that account was made. Since your date shows your joined date as 2009, you should know that by now. There are some wizards that make remarks on posts that have nothing what-so-ever to do with the original post. Why is it things like this get started when one is trying to help another with their question? What does it matter? If you have nothing nice to say or are not trying to help, say nothing at all. Happy Questing!

Explorer
Jan 03, 2013
Cockatielmom on May 22, 2013 wrote:
It does when you have more than one account and this one happens to be my third and I have others my grandchildren play. So yes I have been playing for several years, each account has as the date "joined" when that account was made. Since your date shows your joined date as 2009, you should know that by now. There are some wizards that make remarks on posts that have nothing what-so-ever to do with the original post. Why is it things like this get started when one is trying to help another with their question? What does it matter? If you have nothing nice to say or are not trying to help, say nothing at all. Happy Questing!
I totally agree, read the message then comment don't skim and assume and post not so nice comments. I myself have tried to get those spells but no luck though. Could someone answer me this: when you open the pack and receive the spell does it show the spell and say reward spell like the other items or does it do the spell learned thing like when you use a training point at Ravenwood or both?

Tarlac Owldreamer Level 29 Adept Fire Wizard.

Survivor
Apr 11, 2012
BlazeTaleweaver on May 22, 2013 wrote:
I totally agree, read the message then comment don't skim and assume and post not so nice comments. I myself have tried to get those spells but no luck though. Could someone answer me this: when you open the pack and receive the spell does it show the spell and say reward spell like the other items or does it do the spell learned thing like when you use a training point at Ravenwood or both?

Tarlac Owldreamer Level 29 Adept Fire Wizard.
It pops up as a spell card, on top and says something like "you received so&so spell" looks like a learned spell card, you can't miss it, it is not in one of the slots that has the seven or so items from the pack but shows up on top of this, its pretty large, then it is automatically added to your spell deck for you to equip. Hope this helps.

Survivor
May 05, 2013
I actually contacted Wiz101 about the card odds, because I was sure my game was glitched. They told me that the odds of getting a spell card in the packs is 1/100, and that it resets every time you buy a pack.

Now, I'm not a math master by any means, but this basically means that these spells are impossible to get. Even if you buy 100 or 200 packs, you are not guaranteed to see one of these cards. The odds keep resetting back to 1/100 every time.

Now this upsets me for a few reasons.

1- It means these spells are virtually impossible to get
2- KI does not advertise these odds anywhere, so for a new player like myself, I could have spent $10-$1000 trying to get these cards and my odds never improve
3- Support will not help with this

I want asking for a refund or anything, but I figured the support would at least say the "Sorry for your loss, we'll hook you up with one free pack or something"...but this support just told me "Welcome to the game, sorry about your loss and the lack of info on these packs, move along"

I became frustrated by this, and closed my kids 3 accounts (paying member accounts), and am closing mine as well.

It kinda sucks because my kids really enjoyed this game, as did I. But the fact that I have to pay monthly for zones, and spent a ton of cash trying to hook my kids up with some decent cards only to find out that it is nearly impossible to get them, has kind of put the nail in the coffin for me....