Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

So you need some help

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jul 15, 2011
A lot of times, you will come up against a foe or be presented a problem that you can't handle alone. It is quite alright to ask for help. You can ask a friend or you can even ask a nearby player that you don't know. Many times, they'll be happy to help you with your trouble.

Here are a few things to keep in mind when asking for help:

1. Don't ask for help every day, at least not from the same person. If a player constantly asks me for help, I start thinking they are lazy and not worth the time. After a few days I'll remove them from my friends list.

2. If you need help on a boss fight, most people will be happy to help you. Boss fights drop loot that is generally better than the norm. But if you ask for help, don't expect the helper to start the fight and take all the hits for you. Someone who is helping you is not a minion or slave. When someone begins making such demands of me, I generally think they are rude and selfish, and again, not worth my time.

3. When you ask someone for help, don't also ask for crowns, crowns gear, hoard packs, or any other kind of donation or gift. The person helping you is gifting you already with their time. Also, asking if someone has crowns, it's a very quick way to get put on the ignore list.

4. Strategy is part of the game. It is always a good idea to talk about strategy when someone is helping you. Two wizards are much more effective working together than separately. That being said, offering advice and suggestions to a person helping you is probably a good idea, but demanding they do exactly what you say is not. Someone who is volunteering their time to help you does not want to be ordered around.

Remember that this is a game and it is supposed to be fun. Everyone playing is here to have a good time. Very few people will cater to your whims, they are not your mommy and daddy. Treat them as you would like to be treated.

Tatiana Winterheart

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
Tatiana Winterhear... on Jan 28, 2013 wrote:
A lot of times, you will come up against a foe or be presented a problem that you can't handle alone. It is quite alright to ask for help. You can ask a friend or you can even ask a nearby player that you don't know. Many times, they'll be happy to help you with your trouble.

1. Don't ask for help every day, at least not from the same person. If a player constantly asks me for help, I start thinking they are lazy and not worth the time. After a few days I'll remove them from my friends list.

2. If you need help on a boss fight, most people will be happy to help you. Boss fights drop loot that is generally better than the norm. But if you ask for help, don't expect the helper to start the fight and take all the hits for you. Someone who is helping you is not a minion or slave. When someone begins making such demands of me, I generally think they are rude and selfish, and again, not worth my time.

3. When you ask someone for help, don't also ask for crowns, crowns gear, hoard packs, or any other kind of donation or gift. The person helping you is gifting you already with their time. Also, asking if someone has crowns, it's a very quick way to get put on the ignore list.

4. Strategy is part of the game. It is always a good idea to talk about strategy when someone is helping you. Two wizards are much more effective working together than separately. That being said, offering advice and suggestions to a person helping you is probably a good idea, but demanding they do exactly what you say is not. Someone who is volunteering their time to help you does not want to be ordered around.

Remember that this is a game and it is supposed to be fun. Everyone playing is here to have a good time. Very few people will cater to your whims, they are not your mommy and daddy. Treat them as you would like to be treated.

Tatiana Winterheart
I wish I had a friend like you!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Tatiana Winterhear... on Jan 28, 2013 wrote:

Tatiana Winterheart
first of all, thanks for posting this~ i agree with all of these, and would like to add to your list.

#5: if i say i'm busy, it doesn't mean keep spamming me until i give in; my own quests take priority over helping you. so please respect when i say i can't, i'm busy fighting, or leave me alone.

(everyone, take note~ it's not just the menu-chatters who do this.)

-von

Survivor
Apr 02, 2010
Here Here! Well said! Thank you so much for posting.

Let me add: Pay It Forward

When you ask someone to help you and they do, it is good to reciprocate. But if you're unable to help that person out, then offer to help someone else in need. Everyone needs a hand once in awhile - if we receive, we should give back.

~Destiny~

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
Dr Von on Jan 31, 2013 wrote:
first of all, thanks for posting this~ i agree with all of these, and would like to add to your list.

#5: if i say i'm busy, it doesn't mean keep spamming me until i give in; my own quests take priority over helping you. so please respect when i say i can't, i'm busy fighting, or leave me alone.

(everyone, take note~ it's not just the menu-chatters who do this.)

-von
Don't forget if you're busy hanging with friends. I won't leave my friends hanging just to help someone, it's quite rude and unfair to the people I was talking to.

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
Thank you for posting this. I agree with your list, cause I have had people ask me for help again and again after I had helped them on a dungeon. I also once had a friend ask for help on a boss so I went, but I was kinda busy doing something before, so I bought a henchmen from the crownshop(a high level one) and then I told him I had to flee to do something, and then I did. Then, right afterwards, he started begging for help and wouldn't leave me alone when I bought a henchmen to help him. And there was no way that henchmen could have been defeated right after I fled.
Anyway, I'm super glad you made this thread so maybe those people will understand.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Scarlet Nightdream... on Feb 3, 2013 wrote:
Don't forget if you're busy hanging with friends. I won't leave my friends hanging just to help someone, it's quite rude and unfair to the people I was talking to.
agreed, and very well-said.

"busy" can encompass any number of things, and not questing does not constitute "available". my level 90 wizard sometimes just comes on to chat with friends, craft ,for my other wizards, or do some farming solo (since she no longer gains xp, questing is a tad pointless), and there are times i'd rather not be interrupted. fortunately, my real friends in-game are very respectful of my time and they understand when i can't always help them asap, if at all.

short version: busy means busy. end of.

-von

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010