Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A Possible PvP Solution

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 06, 2012
PvP puppet teams (puppets) are a real problem and have been an issue for quite some time. Anyone wanting proof only has to spend a few minutes checking the 2v2 or 3v3 (4v4 - seldom) current matches. I acknowledge KI has made several attempts to remediate these issues with no real success. I won’t spend the time explaining why puppets are wrong, damaging, or simply unfair as I want to focus on a solution and not another venting session. When you really look at the core of the puppet problem we can identify that the main issue beyond the initial SURPRISE is the lack of being able to level the playing field (i.e. make it fair for both sides). In other words once we realize that we have been thrown into a match we really can’t do anything about it without being penalized (mostly hitting our ranking) .

SO HERE IS MY SOLUTION (SIMPLIFIED): Before any match have the system conduct a Player to Player level verification and if the system finds any discrepancies greater than 10 levels (for example) – simply display a ‘Warning Notice’ within the ‘Sanctioned PVP Match Status Box’ and allow the player to decide to take the match or not (refer to images for examples).

SO HERE IS MY SOLUTION (A BIT MORE DETAILED): Wizard101 pairs up the following teams 2v2 PvP example
Team A (typical team)
Player 01 is Level 29 Player 02 is Level 30

Team B (ie Puppet Team)
Player 03 is Level 02 Player 04 is Level 57

The system will then compare player to players in the following fashion:
Player 01 to Player 03 reveals a 27 level difference and flags a notice
Player 01 to Player 04 reveals a 28 level difference and flags a notice
Player 02 to Player 03 reveals a 28 level difference and flags a notice
Player 02 to Player 04 reveals a 27 level difference and flags a notice
Player 03 to Player 01 reveals a 27 level difference and flags a notice
Player 03 to Player 02 reveals a 28 level difference and flags a notice
Player 04 to Player 01 reveals a 28 level difference and flags a notice
Player 04 to Player 02 reveals a 27 level difference and flags a notice

Because the system detected a level from player to player greater than 10 it will be prompted to display a level warning notice on the Sanctioned PVP Match Status box which all players get. It should display the level difference between player to player allowing each player to decide to accept (‘GO TO ARENA’) or ‘DECLINE’ the match. On the other hand if the system doesn’t find a level trigger then the standard ‘PVP Match Status box’ will be displayed.

Overall this solution eliminates a lot of frustration and allows the PvP community to resolve its own issue (in a basic sense). Overall I can foresee that puppet team’s will eventually die out as players simply DECLINE Puppet matches.

Survivor
Feb 05, 2012
wow a very great idea. Seems too simple lol.

Please get this worked into the arena.

I like it.

Survivor
Feb 06, 2012
I think so. From the puppet teams I’ve run into you can easily classify them into 3 different categories:
1. Deliberate: Players deliberately creating teams for the sole purpose of quickly leveling up a character to the status of Commander or Warlord. These players have no respect for those who have honestly built up their rank and tickets through acceptable means. With these teams you will usually find the low level player (i.e. puppet) is the figure head or mouth piece for the team. (90%)
2. Frustrated: Players who have become completely frustrated by being over-run by puppet teams that they have decided to do the same thing as a means to combat (level the playing field) puppet teams. This unfortunately only makes the puppet more prominent. (7%)
3. Unaware: Family and friends who have decided to play together for the pure enjoyment of the game. They usually don’t realize what puppet teams are or the issue regarding them. (3%)
So displaying a Puppet Warning Notice just levels the fairness for everyone.

Human Nature: You cannot tell which view of fairness is correct for an individual; however you can empower others with the option to overcome the lack of fairness and judgment through choice

Survivor
Nov 12, 2012
I completely agree that something needs to be done about this, before all my friends I have brought to the game no longer enjoy playing with me and move on to something else.

This fix seems so easy to implement without having to change any match making etc!

I wish we could get a response from Greyrose or Gamma.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Wow the simplest to implement and possibly most realistic solution I have seen thus far. This is a great idea!

Survivor
Nov 14, 2012
Why isn't pvp match making like the normal one? Like being able to create a match and put the level range you'd want people to join

Defender
Jan 25, 2009
Talon DragonBreake... on Jan 26, 2013 wrote:
PvP puppet teams (puppets) are a real problem and have been an issue for quite some time. Anyone wanting proof only has to spend a few minutes checking the 2v2 or 3v3 (4v4 - seldom) current matches. I acknowledge KI has made several attempts to remediate these issues with no real success. I won’t spend the time explaining why puppets are wrong, damaging, or simply unfair as I want to focus on a solution and not another venting session. When you really look at the core of the puppet problem we can identify that the main issue beyond the initial SURPRISE is the lack of being able to level the playing field (i.e. make it fair for both sides). In other words once we realize that we have been thrown into a match we really can’t do anything about it without being penalized (mostly hitting our ranking) .

SO HERE IS MY SOLUTION (SIMPLIFIED): Before any match have the system conduct a Player to Player level verification and if the system finds any discrepancies greater than 10 levels (for example) – simply display a ‘Warning Notice’ within the ‘Sanctioned PVP Match Status Box’ and allow the player to decide to take the match or not (refer to images for examples).

SO HERE IS MY SOLUTION (A BIT MORE DETAILED): Wizard101 pairs up the following teams 2v2 PvP example
Team A (typical team)
Player 01 is Level 29 Player 02 is Level 30

Team B (ie Puppet Team)
Player 03 is Level 02 Player 04 is Level 57

The system will then compare player to players in the following fashion:
Player 01 to Player 03 reveals a 27 level difference and flags a notice
Player 01 to Player 04 reveals a 28 level difference and flags a notice
Player 02 to Player 03 reveals a 28 level difference and flags a notice
Player 02 to Player 04 reveals a 27 level difference and flags a notice
Player 03 to Player 01 reveals a 27 level difference and flags a notice
Player 03 to Player 02 reveals a 28 level difference and flags a notice
Player 04 to Player 01 reveals a 28 level difference and flags a notice
Player 04 to Player 02 reveals a 27 level difference and flags a notice

Because the system detected a level from player to player greater than 10 it will be prompted to display a level warning notice on the Sanctioned PVP Match Status box which all players get. It should display the level difference between player to player allowing each player to decide to accept (‘GO TO ARENA’) or ‘DECLINE’ the match. On the other hand if the system doesn’t find a level trigger then the standard ‘PVP Match Status box’ will be displayed.

Overall this solution eliminates a lot of frustration and allows the PvP community to resolve its own issue (in a basic sense). Overall I can foresee that puppet team’s will eventually die out as players simply DECLINE Puppet matches.
This is a great idea. The only problem is, It doesn't get rid of puppets.

What I mean by that is, since there's a whole bunch of puppet teams, I'll be getting paired with them a lot. So if I decline each of those matches, I barely get a chance to PvP! What KI needs to do is lower the rank point loss from getting defeated by puppet teams. So if I get defeated in PvP by a puppet team, the system will notice the puppet team, it'll show a symbol of a puppet (just like how they show a picture of a chicken when you flee lol.), and the puppet team won't gain much tickets. Either that or, sadly, restrict players within 20 or 30 (whichever makes more sense) levels between each other. The second option isn't necessary if you do #1.

Survivor
Feb 06, 2012
KorekuEternal on Feb 1, 2013 wrote:

What I mean by that is, since there's a whole bunch of puppet teams, I'll be getting paired with them a lot. So if I decline each of those matches, I barely get a chance to PvP! What KI needs to do is lower the rank point loss from getting defeated by puppet teams. So if I get defeated in PvP by a puppet team, the system will notice the puppet team, it'll show a symbol of a puppet (just like how they show a picture of a chicken when you flee lol.), and the puppet team won't gain much tickets. Either that or, sadly, restrict players within 20 or 30 (whichever makes more sense) levels between each other. The second option isn't necessary if you do #1.
I agree that this solution doesn’t eliminate puppet teams but allows PvP players to adjust and offer greater control over the puppet situation. This solution offers the least amount of impact on the current ranking system (team pairing) and it can be quickly be implemented without a large amount of programming time from KI. As a programmer this is nothing more than an IF statement with a slight graphical display.

In our current situation my teammate and I can sign up for 2v2 and will get a puppet team almost 70% to 80% of the time. Sure no wait, but not a match I want to deal with. Also we have to remember if we have to wait for a match, so do the puppet teams. Eventually one side versus the other will start to get weeded out. My hunch is the puppet teams will eventually get tired of waiting since the whole point of Puppets is to quickly level up with minimal wait or resistance. We also have to remember that if we as a community keep declining puppet matches we will eventually get solid qualified matches. I think its worth the implementation.

So overall I would prefer a more complex solution with tons of capture and debugging. I just know that KI has way too many things on their plate that most of us have been waiting for a solution for several months with no real impact or change. This may be a band-aide but one I am willing to take.

Survivor
Nov 12, 2012
KorekuEternal on Feb 1, 2013 wrote:

This change would make it so eventually people wouldn't puppet because they would not get any benefit. Also it would make the time spent pvping more productive because you would get good clean matches.

Survivor
Feb 06, 2012
Eaos on Feb 2, 2013 wrote:
This change would make it so eventually people wouldn't puppet because they would not get any benefit. Also it would make the time spent pvping more productive because you would get good clean matches.
I agree