Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

stereotypics

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
May 13, 2011
never happened to me but anyone ever had that moment when someone looks completely at your school benefits and nothing else? i bet some life wizards heard "no no no your supposed to heal. let me do the damage. im storm" life can pack a punch if they want to. im balance and i focus more offensively so dont expect me to come packed with shields for only you since your the ice and blades for the storm

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Sneaky George Quar... on Nov 7, 2012 wrote:
never happened to me but anyone ever had that moment when someone looks completely at your school benefits and nothing else? i bet some life wizards heard "no no no your supposed to heal. let me do the damage. im storm" life can pack a punch if they want to. im balance and i focus more offensively so dont expect me to come packed with shields for only you since your the ice and blades for the storm
I am an archmage Balance wizard~ people like to demand that I heal/shield them, give them my blades, or "keep passing and let me kill", and I always tell them no. I don't carry shields or heals in mob fights, and I'm not giving you anything if you're rude to me.

Different story entirely, if we're in a dungeon/group instance and have agreed that my only purpose is to buff or heal you. It's unfair to assume that all sorcerers do is load up on buffs, and even more unfair to demand that we just hand them over~ we don't have as many resources available as the other schools do and, sometimes, it's all we can do to help ourselves. I don't care if you boost against the enemy's school, or whether or not I'm "weaker" than you~ I don't waste pips or time on people who don't respect me.

As for random people jumping into my fight, they'd best be prepared to fend for themselves. I like to get things done quickly, and keep only 6 cards in my main deck~ if you're expecting me to carry you, it simply won't happen.

-veebz
archmage sorceress & necromancer,
legendary diviner, master theurgist
& the rest.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Everyone has their own play style. Now if you are just casually playing or not in a serious group then you play how you want an dont let anyone tell you otherwise cause its your time and toons.

But if you are grouping you should play as your role is suppoosed to, The reason for this is because if i have the group set up already and need a healer and you bring your life into our group i expect you to heal because that is the reason we invited you, This goes the same for damage dealers and support toons also.

If you are in a serious group please by all means know your role in the group.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2011
i am a life wizard,

in dungeons i heal other people ( exept other life).

in groups i dont heal, they can defend themselves for all i care. I have been in a group of three other life wizards and they still expect me to heal them. ice wizards are the worst, they have the highest life in the game but when they lose 50 health points they say, " i need healing, could someone give me a sprite over here" now sprites they cost one pip a pop and that pip ( cause i'm storm aswell) could go towards a stormzilla or triton or something.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
lastdaysgunslinger on Nov 8, 2012 wrote:
Everyone has their own play style. Now if you are just casually playing or not in a serious group then you play how you want an dont let anyone tell you otherwise cause its your time and toons.

But if you are grouping you should play as your role is suppoosed to, The reason for this is because if i have the group set up already and need a healer and you bring your life into our group i expect you to heal because that is the reason we invited you, This goes the same for damage dealers and support toons also.

If you are in a serious group please by all means know your role in the group.
Sorry but I disagree.

If you're in a serious group they let you folloow your own strategy as long as it doesn't mess them up. A 'PvP' group on the other hands will be making the demands. Serious groups are far too mature to demand things.

And even if I'm in a group, I will still follow my own role because nobody has the right to boss anyone aroumd, ever.

(And if this looks weird, I'm sorry. This was typed on a tablet and it's remarkably hard typing on them. Lol.)

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Stereotypes can work in your favor. I often wear plain-looking gear stitched with excellent gear. I get left alone in common areas. I sometimes get called 'uhg oh lee' by random strangers, but thats easy to ignore. I find it humorous that people judge me so quickly based on a drab outfit. Especially when I have a fantastic Epic pet with me.
But when I wear a fancy stuff, especially with a short skirt... suddenly the requests are constant.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Scarlet Nightdream... on Nov 10, 2012 wrote:
Sorry but I disagree.

If you're in a serious group they let you folloow your own strategy as long as it doesn't mess them up. A 'PvP' group on the other hands will be making the demands. Serious groups are far too mature to demand things.

And even if I'm in a group, I will still follow my own role because nobody has the right to boss anyone aroumd, ever.

(And if this looks weird, I'm sorry. This was typed on a tablet and it's remarkably hard typing on them. Lol.)
You definately dont play many MMO games. Remind me not to group with you.

When i said group i meant a actual put together group not just running around bashing and fun, I mean an actual raid ready take no prisoners serious group. I cant help to disagree with your play style because i dont want a person to follow their strategy and hope for a win i want a soldier ready for battle in my group.

But hey thats your style and you have a right to it, You are correct donot let people boss you. But i figure you might not have many good groups or you have very tolerant friends.

Survivor
Nov 19, 2010
Sneaky George Quar... on Nov 7, 2012 wrote:
Ok, I can see how you would get mad there. But it's not being stereotypical- it's being honest. If your a life wizard, we really don't want you to try to do damage that much and prefer you heal, since you can, and your good at it. Storm should be the one attacking. Just because attacking isn't your school's specialty, doesn't mean it's not as important to balance the game. There is a reason why there are different types of magic, some are better at things.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Well said Cat.

this is why there are roles in the game such as tank,dmg dealer,healer,support.

Ice is a primary tank role
Life is a primary healer role
Fire and Storm are primary dmg roles
Balance is a support role
And i consider death and myth wildcards lol.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
lastdaysgunslinger on Nov 11, 2012 wrote:
You definately dont play many MMO games. Remind me not to group with you.

When i said group i meant a actual put together group not just running around bashing and fun, I mean an actual raid ready take no prisoners serious group. I cant help to disagree with your play style because i dont want a person to follow their strategy and hope for a win i want a soldier ready for battle in my group.

But hey thats your style and you have a right to it, You are correct donot let people boss you. But i figure you might not have many good groups or you have very tolerant friends.
There are no Raids in Wizard101. There are no Operations. There are no Hardmodes. This isn't WoW, it isn't SWTOR, and it isn't GW2. Sorry if I sounded a little rough, but there is little need for a "take no prisoners serious group". In PvP, I want to be on the same team as good players, and that's more then just following some predifined role. I wouldn't want a Life who excels at dealing damage to try and heal. I wouldn't want a Death who can act as a Tank to try and be a Damager-Dealer for a whole battle. People should find their niche.

Anyway, I agree with the OP. As a Storm, I'm apparently supposed to take risks that are so stupid it's not even funny. I'm all for taking chances, in fact, I believe that it's vital to take them in some battles. When it comes to depserately attacking and not healing when I'm down to 435 Health, however, I will disregard the pleas of a Myth wizard to "just kill one already, lol" (True story).

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Do you do any of the hard dungeons in this game? If so then you are raiding the dungeon friend. And that is what we are talking about. If you are doing a dungeon and you are the only life in the group well you better be a healer. That is what is being said.
Im not saying people cant explore how they play the game. By all means you are supposed to enjoy the game. All we are saying is that if you are brought into a group as a healer/DD/Tank/Support you had better do your job.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
These forums often have posts by those who successfully solo their way through worlds. Everybody has different strategies and expectations for others. Personally, when I am questing in challenging areas with other wizards I prefer them to play with decent strategy, communicate effectively, and adapt to situations rather than play with strict pre-defined roles.

Wizards do have different strengths and weaknesses based on schools, gear and available spells. Playing to those differences is typically a good idea. But adapting to situations is most important. The best wizards I have played with are really good at cooperating and anticipating needs of others for both offence and defence in advance. Pre-battle prep, thinking ahead, observing the enemies pips, charms, team members spells being cast, etc. instead of just formula based playing without observation of the gameplay.

Wizards that stick to self pre-defined roles, particularly "healing" or "support" are typically useless in challenging situations. Adapting is key.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
RottenHeart on Nov 16, 2012 wrote:
These forums often have posts by those who successfully solo their way through worlds. Everybody has different strategies and expectations for others. Personally, when I am questing in challenging areas with other wizards I prefer them to play with decent strategy, communicate effectively, and adapt to situations rather than play with strict pre-defined roles.

Wizards do have different strengths and weaknesses based on schools, gear and available spells. Playing to those differences is typically a good idea. But adapting to situations is most important. The best wizards I have played with are really good at cooperating and anticipating needs of others for both offence and defence in advance. Pre-battle prep, thinking ahead, observing the enemies pips, charms, team members spells being cast, etc. instead of just formula based playing without observation of the gameplay.

Wizards that stick to self pre-defined roles, particularly "healing" or "support" are typically useless in challenging situations. Adapting is key.
^^^^
I second this. Don't typecast yourself, or let someone pigeonhole you into a role you don't want to play~ take note of the instance, other players, and tools available, and adapt accordingly.

As mentioned above, I am an archmage Balance wizard~ I can hit hard (I was once the primary damage dealer on a Mirror Lake run) or play support, depending on the instance. But don't ask me to break shields~ I have no efficient way to do so and, as such, a Myth or Fire wizard (or someone with a mastery amulet) is much better suited to the task... If, however, I'm in a group and neither of those schools are present, I've got a boatload of Shatter TCs that I can put in my sideboard. Easy as pie, amirite? Not exactly efficient, but it still gets the job done.

I always check what schools the enemies are before running into the circle, and I build my deck around that~ meaning that I expect my teammates (if I have any with me) to do the same. Example: if the enemy is Myth, I get my traps and stun-blocks out first and don't start blading until Myth has no pips to Earthquake me with~ my traps are there to share, but I don't like when people mess with whatever predetermined strategy I/we've decided on (in the event that you just port in without asking, you're messing up *my* strategy).

Also important: what schools are your teammates? If I'm with my archmage Ice friend, I know that she can fend for herself and my deck reflects that~ no shields, maybe /one/ heal; but if my Storm friend is with me, I fill my deck with heals and keep her alive while she preps for a big hit~ this results in what's called "healer's ag", and draws the attention away from Storm, making sure that the enemies focus on me instead.

Every school has its strengths and weaknesses (example above: Balance can't break shields, but Fire and Myth can), but any school can be powerful in the right hands.

-veebz
archmage sorceress & necromancer

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
Excellent. From now on my storm and fire wizards will just heal, please dont expect damage if you group with me.

I totally agree with the gunslinger here. I play how ever i want when soloing or just playing around but if im in a group as a damage dealer i do damage. If im in a group as a healer i heal. its kinda common sense for those that have mmo experience.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Dr Von on Nov 16, 2012 wrote:
^^^^
I second this. Don't typecast yourself, or let someone pigeonhole you into a role you don't want to play~ take note of the instance, other players, and tools available, and adapt accordingly.

As mentioned above, I am an archmage Balance wizard~ I can hit hard (I was once the primary damage dealer on a Mirror Lake run) or play support, depending on the instance. But don't ask me to break shields~ I have no efficient way to do so and, as such, a Myth or Fire wizard (or someone with a mastery amulet) is much better suited to the task... If, however, I'm in a group and neither of those schools are present, I've got a boatload of Shatter TCs that I can put in my sideboard. Easy as pie, amirite? Not exactly efficient, but it still gets the job done.

I always check what schools the enemies are before running into the circle, and I build my deck around that~ meaning that I expect my teammates (if I have any with me) to do the same. Example: if the enemy is Myth, I get my traps and stun-blocks out first and don't start blading until Myth has no pips to Earthquake me with~ my traps are there to share, but I don't like when people mess with whatever predetermined strategy I/we've decided on (in the event that you just port in without asking, you're messing up *my* strategy).

Also important: what schools are your teammates? If I'm with my archmage Ice friend, I know that she can fend for herself and my deck reflects that~ no shields, maybe /one/ heal; but if my Storm friend is with me, I fill my deck with heals and keep her alive while she preps for a big hit~ this results in what's called "healer's ag", and draws the attention away from Storm, making sure that the enemies focus on me instead.

Every school has its strengths and weaknesses (example above: Balance can't break shields, but Fire and Myth can), but any school can be powerful in the right hands.

-veebz
archmage sorceress & necromancer
I understand and agree Von. As you are saying you played the role of healer and you played the role as DD. My point is if thats what you are supposed to do then do it. Im not saying that if you are a storm school then you have to be the DD, Im saying if you come into a group as a healer then heal, if you come into a group as a DD then do damage. Thats all ive been saying in this post. I definately agree with improvising and having fun but you must do what you are supposed to be doing while grouping.

If i was grouping with people and we had the roles set in place and our healer decides to do an AoE forest lord instead of a rebirth when the group is low life and their forest lord doesnt kill the mobs then whos fault is it that the battle was lost. Now if you are a life school and want to be a DD hey thats fine but the point is that fire an storm do way more dmg than life.

All im tring to explain to those who wish to hear it is that you should do what you are good at doing. Life is the best healer in the game. Ice is the best tank in the game . balance is the best support in the game and clearly fire an storm are the best dmg in the game.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Perhaps people need to clarify the spiral worlds they are speaking of. Wizard City to Celestia inclusive are far too easy for a serious team of players to play. You put 4 decent gamers together that are buddies and used to playing cooperatively together and they would charge through worlds like the four horsemen of the apocolypse.

I don't think the worlds of the spiral are intended for this. I find playing with just one other strategy-minded skilled team-player the game becomes, welll.... lets say risk levels go waaaaay down. Wizard101 is a very fun relaxing game with a gentle pace. I really enjoy the fun card playing and humorous magical worlds. A death-squad of hard-core take-no-prisoners gamers would be disappointed. Its not the focus of the game.

So is there any point to expecting people (or yourself) to play to any strong stereotyped role? I don't think so. Its a card game. Play a role if you like, but play with strategy. Think ahead, work with your team, adapt. Help others. Have fun.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
lastdaysgunslinger on Nov 17, 2012 wrote:
I understand and agree Von. As you are saying you played the role of healer and you played the role as DD. My point is if thats what you are supposed to do then do it. Im not saying that if you are a storm school then you have to be the DD, Im saying if you come into a group as a healer then heal, if you come into a group as a DD then do damage. Thats all ive been saying in this post. I definately agree with improvising and having fun but you must do what you are supposed to be doing while grouping.

If i was grouping with people and we had the roles set in place and our healer decides to do an AoE forest lord instead of a rebirth when the group is low life and their forest lord doesnt kill the mobs then whos fault is it that the battle was lost. Now if you are a life school and want to be a DD hey thats fine but the point is that fire an storm do way more dmg than life.

All im tring to explain to those who wish to hear it is that you should do what you are good at doing. Life is the best healer in the game. Ice is the best tank in the game . balance is the best support in the game and clearly fire an storm are the best dmg in the game.
I totally get what you mean, hence why I also mentioned efficiency. Yes,Storm can heal, but it probably makes more sense that a Life or Balance wizard would do that for them~ that all said, if there is no Life or Balance wizard in the group, Storm needs to be prepared to take on the healer role if that's what the group needs. Adaptability is key.

In my reply to RottenHeart, I was referring more to street fights than dungeons, but (in reference to dungeon dynamics) you are correct~ if I'm in a dungeon with a group, we always discuss in advance what each person's role will be. On the ML run I mentioned, the boss we were fighting was Storm~ so my group (2 Deaths and a Storm) and I decided that I would be the DD; Death #1 was the healer, Death #2 buffed, and Storm was the wild-card.Our roles shifted depending on which fight we were in, but only after we discussed it amongst ourselves.

Another example~ when another group (Life, Storm, and another Balance) and I fought the Jabberwock, we also decided before the fight what everyone's responsibility would be. Storm was our DD, both myself and the other sorcerer shielded, spammed dispels, and buffed Storm for a big hit, and Life kept us all alive.

I think the point that I was trying to make was that one should never /expect/ another person to do anything~ if my Life friend wants to be the DD, I'll let her be the DD and take on the healer's job myself.It's just a matter of communicating with your group and adapting accordingly.

Happy trails,
-von

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Dr Von on Nov 18, 2012 wrote:
I totally get what you mean, hence why I also mentioned efficiency. Yes,Storm can heal, but it probably makes more sense that a Life or Balance wizard would do that for them~ that all said, if there is no Life or Balance wizard in the group, Storm needs to be prepared to take on the healer role if that's what the group needs. Adaptability is key.

In my reply to RottenHeart, I was referring more to street fights than dungeons, but (in reference to dungeon dynamics) you are correct~ if I'm in a dungeon with a group, we always discuss in advance what each person's role will be. On the ML run I mentioned, the boss we were fighting was Storm~ so my group (2 Deaths and a Storm) and I decided that I would be the DD; Death #1 was the healer, Death #2 buffed, and Storm was the wild-card.Our roles shifted depending on which fight we were in, but only after we discussed it amongst ourselves.

Another example~ when another group (Life, Storm, and another Balance) and I fought the Jabberwock, we also decided before the fight what everyone's responsibility would be. Storm was our DD, both myself and the other sorcerer shielded, spammed dispels, and buffed Storm for a big hit, and Life kept us all alive.

I think the point that I was trying to make was that one should never /expect/ another person to do anything~ if my Life friend wants to be the DD, I'll let her be the DD and take on the healer's job myself.It's just a matter of communicating with your group and adapting accordingly.

Happy trails,
-von
I agree with you. Adapting is key and efficiency is always needed. I was only ranting about people that have a role to play and dont do it.

Explorer
Jul 10, 2009
I hate that. I'm a myth wiz and people always expect me to earthquake or blinding light. I mean have other uses too! I can attack without having to make your life easier..

Survivor
Apr 04, 2010
This Happens to me a lot- on my ice, my main, I am CONSTANTLY being asked and sometimes even told to shield people, even if the have more life than I do at the moment. Also, I always end up going in the first position, even if I have less than 1,00 hp from continual fighting.

Also, on my myth, people constantly are telling my to earthquake, pierce, or cleanse ward. Also, lots of minion requests.

Gabrielle, 81 Thaugmaturge

Olivia StrongFriend, 48 Conjurer

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Think about that next time you are about dead and you have no heals left and your life wizard in group says " Im not healing today because i want to do damage instead" . Just a perspective to think about.

Explorer
Dec 24, 2008
i am a lvl 75 balance and people expect me to sheild,power up their spells, and weaken the enemies. they never want me to attack. when they use there strongest spells i know i can deal more damage than that.balance doesnt get any props just because we dont have a school in ravenwood. some say that we are the weakest. Ha! we are one of the strongest there is.if some people tell you not to do something, they might think your better at it than they are.

Survivor
Sep 05, 2012
That is very annoying. I am an offensive Balance wizard and everybody is always asking me to "blade them up."
Also, my secondary Life character was asked to heal at level 2, before she had even gotten Fairy. My Fire friend is always telling me to blade him while he polymorphs into a Draconian and uses Firezilla. I often refuse and use a 6-to-8 pip Judgement and kill off people.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
lastdaysgunslinger on Nov 23, 2012 wrote:
Think about that next time you are about dead and you have no heals left and your life wizard in group says " Im not healing today because i want to do damage instead" . Just a perspective to think about.
An efficient Life wizard has had to learn how to do both. I created my Life wizard to be able to solo more easily - not to keep others going though the game.

We have to judge what spells are used and when by all in the group, you don't have to keep saying heal me to me I keep track of that also. My life wizard carries 1 sprite and 1 satyr for normal mobs, I add rebirth for instances.

The trick here maybe to defeat the monster faster then it can get a chance to defeat you.

It seems that many are in an up roar over the fact that Life can and may actually be a damage class if honed properly. Where is it not fair that every wizard school should not be able to hold it's own against the monsters of the Spiral?