Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Will the game's graphics ever be updated?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 20, 2016
I remember playing it back when it released and the graphics were exactly the same as they were now, perhaps not for the newer worlds and such. The effects are great and all, but almost all of the textures and models scream 2008.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
Enigmatistyy on May 22, 2016 wrote:
I remember playing it back when it released and the graphics were exactly the same as they were now, perhaps not for the newer worlds and such. The effects are great and all, but almost all of the textures and models scream 2008.
If you hate wiz graphics, play pirate101, it has some amazing graphics, especially when you get to Mooshu and Marleybone.

Lvl 110
Lvl 104
Lvl 27

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I know what you mean. Take it from Kenny Rogers and Michael Jackson, sometimes you need to change your appearance to try and stay current. Substance is nothing, image is everything.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
It's a lot of work to update graphics in the game. Plus, I believe KI wants to keep it a bit more simple, because there are a lot of people who don't have totally up-to-date computers and graphic cards. By keeping the graphics a bit low-tech, it allows more players to enjoy the game on a variety of computers.

Survivor
Mar 25, 2010
If I am not mistaken, the graphics are done in the way they are currently on purpose. The cartoonish look to everything makes for a very family friendly game that intrigues their key demographic of 10-16 year old children.

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
Change is a good thing, but I think it would be fruitless to completely change the graphics of the game-- dated as they may be. If they update them to look really great, then they will polarize a good portion of their player base, who run the game on computers that may not be up to par with today's standard graphics. Also, given the sheer number of worlds created now, imagine the time needed to retexture and update every single thing in all the worlds... *shudders*

Melissa Smith - Master Sorcerer Lvl. 43

Explorer
Feb 10, 2012
Personally, I find the graphics charming

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
The graphics aren't bad, but could be tweeked, like wizard city, its too boxy, I guess, like where the roads are supposed to curve, its angled, and could be curved out, or like all the stairs/bridges how its a flat plane

Defender
Apr 07, 2011
Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Yeah. I suggested a update of all worlds from wizard city to dragonspyre some time ago, and the forum screamed at me that it wasn't needed.

But it is badly needed. All the original game worlds need to be redone. Every world is just one street repeated over and over and over, with slightly different names. All the textures are the same except for color. All the mobs are the same - rotting fodders are seen every where, just with different names, for example.

And the caves are just more of the same streets that are outside the cave, with a roof over them instead of a sky.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
crystalwizard12345... on Jun 3, 2016 wrote:
Yeah. I suggested a update of all worlds from wizard city to dragonspyre some time ago, and the forum screamed at me that it wasn't needed.

But it is badly needed. All the original game worlds need to be redone. Every world is just one street repeated over and over and over, with slightly different names. All the textures are the same except for color. All the mobs are the same - rotting fodders are seen every where, just with different names, for example.

And the caves are just more of the same streets that are outside the cave, with a roof over them instead of a sky.
Let's take a hypothetical situation. Let's say KI employees make $25/hour. They work a standard 40 hour work week. It'll take 4 of them 10 weeks to make the changes you want.

$25 X 40 = $1,000 X 4 = $4,000 X 10 = $40,000

How do the new graphics generate extra revenue to cover off that $40,000 expense? How much extra revenue will it create to cover off any potentially lost revenue caused by a 10 week delay in releasing new content that couldn't be developed while employees fiddled around with something that didn't need to be done?

Show KI how this will make them more money than it'll cost and they'll probably do it. Good luck.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Considering they recently laid off a bunch of workers and scaled back new game development to concentrate on W101 and P101 new content, it makes absolutely no sense at all to throw away money on old content. New content makes money.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
seethe42 on Jun 6, 2016 wrote:
Considering they recently laid off a bunch of workers and scaled back new game development to concentrate on W101 and P101 new content, it makes absolutely no sense at all to throw away money on old content. New content makes money.
While I agree with you for the most part, there is a glaring exception to this. I mention it because while it doesnt bring in any new money, it was a widely wanted change; Call of Khrullu. It came out in November of 2014 and then 18 months later, the animation was changed, as have other spells over time (Sirens, Storm lord, Fire Elf, etc). I think the BIG thing is, if they are going to tweak the graphics, to do them slowly, in their own time, but not as a specific release. Also, tweaking a single spell is much easier (I am guessing) than to revamp a whole section of a world

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
dayerider on Jun 6, 2016 wrote:
While I agree with you for the most part, there is a glaring exception to this. I mention it because while it doesnt bring in any new money, it was a widely wanted change; Call of Khrullu. It came out in November of 2014 and then 18 months later, the animation was changed, as have other spells over time (Sirens, Storm lord, Fire Elf, etc). I think the BIG thing is, if they are going to tweak the graphics, to do them slowly, in their own time, but not as a specific release. Also, tweaking a single spell is much easier (I am guessing) than to revamp a whole section of a world
Yeah that was a matter of editing down existing graphics to streamline gameplay. That's an entirely different issue. That actually improves gameplay.
People didn't ask for Khrulhu to be changed for cosmetic reasons, it was taking too long. Redoing years of graphics design work doesn't do anything for existing players. It might become necessary for gaining new users at some point, but the demographic for this game isn't top level gamers, it's family and kids. Yes some players may outgrow the toon graphics, some of us like them. The main issues are that it's cost prohibitive for KI, gives no benefit and will make the game unplayable for many users that don't have high end graphics cards and PC's.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
seethe42 on Jun 6, 2016 wrote:
Yeah that was a matter of editing down existing graphics to streamline gameplay. That's an entirely different issue. That actually improves gameplay.
People didn't ask for Khrulhu to be changed for cosmetic reasons, it was taking too long. Redoing years of graphics design work doesn't do anything for existing players. It might become necessary for gaining new users at some point, but the demographic for this game isn't top level gamers, it's family and kids. Yes some players may outgrow the toon graphics, some of us like them. The main issues are that it's cost prohibitive for KI, gives no benefit and will make the game unplayable for many users that don't have high end graphics cards and PC's.
all valid points

Defender
Jun 09, 2015
crystalwizard12345... on Jun 3, 2016 wrote:

those aren't grapics

Defender
Jun 09, 2015
the graphics are perfect for a kids game

Defender
Aug 08, 2015
While the graphics are outdated especially with the graphics we have in games now, completely changing the graphics now would be too foreign and unappealing to the projected audience.

Level 110
Level 42

Survivor
Jan 24, 2015
I think the graphics are good, but they need more of a variety... Especially for us wizards. Overall, I think the graphics are good just the way they are... but I wouldn't mind if they were just a bit more realistic.

Brooke DragonHeart Level 62

Survivor
Mar 17, 2016
I personally have made countless profiles and have played this game for many, many years and the graphics are unchanged. As much as I love this game and how it looks I feel like an update is needed on the graphics.

Survivor
Dec 27, 2014
High Five Ghost on Jun 5, 2016 wrote:
Let's take a hypothetical situation. Let's say KI employees make $25/hour. They work a standard 40 hour work week. It'll take 4 of them 10 weeks to make the changes you want.

$25 X 40 = $1,000 X 4 = $4,000 X 10 = $40,000

How do the new graphics generate extra revenue to cover off that $40,000 expense? How much extra revenue will it create to cover off any potentially lost revenue caused by a 10 week delay in releasing new content that couldn't be developed while employees fiddled around with something that didn't need to be done?

Show KI how this will make them more money than it'll cost and they'll probably do it. Good luck.
The expense of having KI programmers working will be 40,000 for 10 weeks no matter what they work on.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
again just restating what i said, dont overhaul the graphics, just stream line it....
___ /
like bridges its literally this / \ stairs / thats it. a solid flat plane with no depth or curves other in a 2d image of dark and light lines..... if that... and i know "older pcs cant handle the graphics" if they cant handle a tiny update in graphics, of curving bridges, making actual stairs, and even curving the roads so they dont take 3 angles to do a turn...... then their pcs wont even handle the game right now... because just estimates.... the game if everything in it was downloaded, worlds, movement, clothes, enemies, furniture, etc... it would take 4-5 GB..... a small update to already existing graphics... maybe 100 MB.... not much