Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Open Chat AFTER Turning 18?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 14, 2008
I'm just wondering, since some of us joined Wizard101 back when it opened in 2008 and were under 18 at the time, but have now are 18+, why can't we now have access to Open Chat?

Did we not put in our birth dates when we first joined or did I just imagine that? I honestly can't remember.

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Hi! From the FAQ: https://www.wizard101.com/game/help-faq

"18+ Open Chat can only be unlocked by players over the age of 18 who have a current Membership paid for with a valid credit card. Gift Cards cannot be used to unlock Open Chat.

Open Chat allows players a more open communication environment with other 18+ players.

This chat will be filtered for profanity. In this channel, when players type their text they will see 3 colors in the chat window: white means 13+ can see it, yellow means only 18+ can see it, and red is completely filtered.

This chat feature is in response to our community's requests. To ensure the highest level of safety, we have chosen to provide this for our active credit card Member community only.

Please note that this option is off by default, and you must actively select this option under Account Management.

Our terms for in-game communication with other players will remain the same. Violent and abusive behavior, as well as the exchange of personal information is still not acceptable.

Currently Active Accounts must be verified as 18+ through a valid credit card on file with Wizard101.

18+ Open Chat will expire when the Membership expires."

Defender
Nov 19, 2009
Dworgyn on May 20, 2016 wrote:
Hi! From the FAQ: https://www.wizard101.com/game/help-faq

"18+ Open Chat can only be unlocked by players over the age of 18 who have a current Membership paid for with a valid credit card. Gift Cards cannot be used to unlock Open Chat.

Open Chat allows players a more open communication environment with other 18+ players.

This chat will be filtered for profanity. In this channel, when players type their text they will see 3 colors in the chat window: white means 13+ can see it, yellow means only 18+ can see it, and red is completely filtered.

This chat feature is in response to our community's requests. To ensure the highest level of safety, we have chosen to provide this for our active credit card Member community only.

Please note that this option is off by default, and you must actively select this option under Account Management.

Our terms for in-game communication with other players will remain the same. Violent and abusive behavior, as well as the exchange of personal information is still not acceptable.

Currently Active Accounts must be verified as 18+ through a valid credit card on file with Wizard101.

18+ Open Chat will expire when the Membership expires."
Dworgyn I am sorry but I think you made a mistake. Due to community issues kingsisle reverted this rule quite awhile ago. You Just have to have An account which has a credit card on file with kingsisle AND to have your account age set to 18+ to be allowed to have open chat. It isnt limited to members Only. It was originally a Bug but the community got used to it an they changed it an got a flood Of Upset players mailing them. So they reverted it to the way they had it. I have Lots of free to play friends and they have open chat. Please See the post from Merle Ambrose here: https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/30290.ftl And it explains in great detail. :)

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Maycast on May 21, 2016 wrote:
Dworgyn I am sorry but I think you made a mistake. Due to community issues kingsisle reverted this rule quite awhile ago. You Just have to have An account which has a credit card on file with kingsisle AND to have your account age set to 18+ to be allowed to have open chat. It isnt limited to members Only. It was originally a Bug but the community got used to it an they changed it an got a flood Of Upset players mailing them. So they reverted it to the way they had it. I have Lots of free to play friends and they have open chat. Please See the post from Merle Ambrose here: https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/30290.ftl And it explains in great detail. :)
You are correct! Looks like I need to get our FAQ page updated on Monday.

Thanks!