Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

daily assignments - first thoughts

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
This is been in test for a while, so maybe these aren't really first thoughts. But it just went into the live game. So:

Daily assignments are things most MMORPGs are implimenting. It's a way to give players a reason to keep playing their max characters.

But

There needs to be challenge. it needs to be interesting. it needs to be something more than just log on and click here. Or very quickly you either have to hand out incredible rewards every single day (not going to happen) or players stop participating (it's boring, what's the point?)

With that
1. Very disappointed that my high levels got the same quest as my low levels.
2. Very disappointed that it was a simple "go fight one mob and come back", quest. Since collecting has been so heavily nerfed, I didn't even get to fight 2 mobs. Just one and it's over. Boring.
3. Was hoping there'd have been different quest givers for different levels with complext sorts of quests. I'm still hopeful the daily assignments won't turn out to be a string of go fight one mob, you're done, quests with everything localed in low level worlds.
4. Annoyed that my real low levels can't do the quest. I can't get in to the gobblers with some of my characters, so I can't even get accomplish the first daily assignment with them. No, I do NOT want to have to port in to the gobblers.

5 - personal opinion - the opening quest that gives the lodestone should be something that can be accomplished by all levels, even some that is as low as level 2. Talking to the guy in ravenwood, running over and talking to the librarian, then talking to the potion vendor at the circus, then maybe even talking to a couple of other vendor types in wizard city and finally, bringing back something from a wandering ghost on unicorn way. THAT would be a good opening for all levels and it would be complex. More than just go fight one mob and come back.

More thoughts as more days go past.

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
crystalwizard12345... on Apr 7, 2016 wrote:
This is been in test for a while, so maybe these aren't really first thoughts. But it just went into the live game. So:

Daily assignments are things most MMORPGs are implimenting. It's a way to give players a reason to keep playing their max characters.

But

There needs to be challenge. it needs to be interesting. it needs to be something more than just log on and click here. Or very quickly you either have to hand out incredible rewards every single day (not going to happen) or players stop participating (it's boring, what's the point?)

With that
1. Very disappointed that my high levels got the same quest as my low levels.
2. Very disappointed that it was a simple "go fight one mob and come back", quest. Since collecting has been so heavily nerfed, I didn't even get to fight 2 mobs. Just one and it's over. Boring.
3. Was hoping there'd have been different quest givers for different levels with complext sorts of quests. I'm still hopeful the daily assignments won't turn out to be a string of go fight one mob, you're done, quests with everything localed in low level worlds.
4. Annoyed that my real low levels can't do the quest. I can't get in to the gobblers with some of my characters, so I can't even get accomplish the first daily assignment with them. No, I do NOT want to have to port in to the gobblers.

5 - personal opinion - the opening quest that gives the lodestone should be something that can be accomplished by all levels, even some that is as low as level 2. Talking to the guy in ravenwood, running over and talking to the librarian, then talking to the potion vendor at the circus, then maybe even talking to a couple of other vendor types in wizard city and finally, bringing back something from a wandering ghost on unicorn way. THAT would be a good opening for all levels and it would be complex. More than just go fight one mob and come back.

More thoughts as more days go past.
I do agree with somethings. I think the quests need to be a bit harder, yet soloable. I also think the rewards need to be bumped up a bit.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Day 2 thoughts:

1. yet another go fight one thing quest. This continues too long and I'll stop caring.
2. No quest arrow. Means my max level is running all over dragonspyre to find the crystal grove which I no longer can remember where it is. Frustrating, not fun.
3. my max level of 110 is handed a quest to go to dragonspyre. And fight a crystal crawler. That's one tempest cast the first round without even boosting. Boring.
4. nothing in my quest book means I have to go back to ravenwood or my house and pull the quest up again in order to remember what i'm supposed to do. Why is it not in the quest book?
5. for doing this I get - 600 gold? Come on, I'm at max gold and can't hardly get rid of the stuff. I don't need more gold. Bleh. Give me a cool housing item or something.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Day three thoughts.

1. this really feels unfinished. Everything else in the game that you are given to do, the giver has a yellow ? or ! over his head indicating you should talk to him. For this, no ?, no ! and no reason to even go see the giver. Doesn't even feel like it's part of the same game. Or important in any way.
2. Yet again, for the third day, it's a go fight one thing quest. Three days and I'm bored stiff with this already.
3. Dragonspyre again. I'm max level. 110. Why dragonspyre? Why not something that is at least a challenge?
4. Yet again, no quest book entry, no quest arrow and I haven't a clue where the mob is at in dragonspyre. More wandering around till I just happen to run across it. That isn't challenging, that's frustrating.
5 No story line. There needs to be a story line. This isn't a hack and slash game. Or a grinding game. If I want to play that, i'll go play one of the thousands of other MMORPGs out there. I play this game for the engaing story line. These daily assignments could be a lot of fun, but among other things they need a good story line with some cliff hangers.

Yeah, that's more work for development but right now it's just a make work to keep you slightly busy thing. And it's boring. The only reason to do this right now is the reward and those, from the looks of the coming rewards list yesterday, are lousy. At least for someone my level.

Survivor
Oct 31, 2008
Personally, the only thing I have found a problem with is the wait time before it resets.
It appears to reset 24 hours after completion of current task, but this creates a vicious cycle, so each players new task becomes available later and later each day.

As for the rewards, they fit the tasks, it seems to me that we are being rewarded for accepting and doing a task each day, not necessarily for the challenge that a task might present.

I am fine with it as is. I don't need a game to get progressively harder to challenge and satisfy me. After all this game is more of an interactive storyline than a typical MMORG.

I see no need to make the assignments/tasks harder. Simply getting free stuff is a major fun draw for many many players, lets not ruin it for everyone by accommodating a few hardcore players.

Happy Wizarding.

Survivor
Oct 31, 2008
crystalwizard12345... on Apr 8, 2016 wrote:
Day three thoughts.

1. this really feels unfinished. Everything else in the game that you are given to do, the giver has a yellow ? or ! over his head indicating you should talk to him. For this, no ?, no ! and no reason to even go see the giver. Doesn't even feel like it's part of the same game. Or important in any way.
2. Yet again, for the third day, it's a go fight one thing quest. Three days and I'm bored stiff with this already.
3. Dragonspyre again. I'm max level. 110. Why dragonspyre? Why not something that is at least a challenge?
4. Yet again, no quest book entry, no quest arrow and I haven't a clue where the mob is at in dragonspyre. More wandering around till I just happen to run across it. That isn't challenging, that's frustrating.
5 No story line. There needs to be a story line. This isn't a hack and slash game. Or a grinding game. If I want to play that, i'll go play one of the thousands of other MMORPGs out there. I play this game for the engaing story line. These daily assignments could be a lot of fun, but among other things they need a good story line with some cliff hangers.

Yeah, that's more work for development but right now it's just a make work to keep you slightly busy thing. And it's boring. The only reason to do this right now is the reward and those, from the looks of the coming rewards list yesterday, are lousy. At least for someone my level.
Frankly, the first 3 are personal preference issues, and bear no significance to me. Those things are fine as they are in my humble opinion.

However I do agree with #4, I've already had to run back to remind myself what creature I was to defeat/find once I find the area I was sent to. Rather awkward, I don't think the game should require me to have a pad and pencil near to take notes. ;) Although, when it comes right down to it, this in itself is a "challenge", if your not up to this challenge, why change it otherwise.

As for #5, I am a little surprised about asking for a storyline, when it seems to me that those saying this didn't apparently read or listen to the initial steps to begin with. I have no problem continuing to travel the spiral to help Aegon Stats get information (get readings) to determine the future/fate of the spiral. Seemed to me there was a storyline right there.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2013
Day 4. I have 6 characters on my account, and I dont seem to be getting the crown rewards. Not sure if anyone else is having this problem.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
There's enough challenge with everything else in the Spiral, why not just be able to log in, do something simple and get something from it? Everything does NOT need to be a challenge in a game. It's nice to do something simple and different each day.

It has brought back some of my friends who quit playing because of the awful challenging grind of bosses, dungeons, key bosses, one-shot dungeons, etc. The game has enough difficulty, why not have something fun for a change?

I would leave it as it is. It's simple to write what you need to do on a piece of paper. Half the challenge is remembering what you need to do and where to do it.

If people think it's too easy, then don't do it. Personally, I find farming the same thing over and over and over again an extremely boring slogfest just to try and get one thing.

I and others want to like the game again, and the daily quests and other updates this time around are headed in the right direction.

Survivor
Oct 31, 2008
lilac9909 on Apr 9, 2016 wrote:
Day 4. I have 6 characters on my account, and I dont seem to be getting the crown rewards. Not sure if anyone else is having this problem.
I did not receive the crown rewards on my wizard either.
I also got a message last night that I had to wait 2 minutes to do my next task.
I waited and was given the exact same task again, with 1193046 hours to complete it.
I completed it right away, and was given another task. It says ive completed 4 tasks, but I've actually completed 5.

Seems the daily assignments are a little buggy.

Happy Wizarding!

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
after doing these for several days, something else has become a problem.

There's no feedback other than a line of text "daily assignment complete" or some such.

Nothing in the chat window to tell me what I got
No little icons popping up on the side of the client to tell me what I got
No feedback of any kind that everything else in the game provides.

The only possible place of getting feedback is to click on the Graveton icon and review rewards. But if you complete the quest and port out before clicking it, it goes away.

Rewards need the same sort of feedback that gear, pet snacks, reagents, treasure cards, and everything else gives:
icons on the side of the client and text feedback in the chat window.

Without it, it doesn't feel like you even got anything. No can you check to see what it was you were supposed to get if you happen to miss that graveton icon.

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
crystalwizard12345... on Apr 17, 2016 wrote:
after doing these for several days, something else has become a problem.

There's no feedback other than a line of text "daily assignment complete" or some such.

Nothing in the chat window to tell me what I got
No little icons popping up on the side of the client to tell me what I got
No feedback of any kind that everything else in the game provides.

The only possible place of getting feedback is to click on the Graveton icon and review rewards. But if you complete the quest and port out before clicking it, it goes away.

Rewards need the same sort of feedback that gear, pet snacks, reagents, treasure cards, and everything else gives:
icons on the side of the client and text feedback in the chat window.

Without it, it doesn't feel like you even got anything. No can you check to see what it was you were supposed to get if you happen to miss that graveton icon.
I agree with you there. The first time I got a chest reward with my death wizard, I ended up going link dead and when I came back i searched thru my things to see If I had gotten anything.. I never did figure out what I got.
But yes, there needs to be some way other than the icon

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Today is a complete wash out. I was given the assignment to go fight one grim Calaca in Azteca. No mention of where and as there's no arrow, no idea where.

I even went to wizard101central and looked the mob up (which I should NOT have to do), and I still can't find it. So I can't do the assignment.

These assignments should be considered quests. Just as much as going to tell Headmaster Ambrose you've finished a world is a quest. Or any of the hundreds of other single action activites in this game are quests. Lucky Hookline tells you to talk to his fishing buddy in grizzlehiem for example. There's nothing else to do, nothing complex, but it's a quest. Even if these assignments don't give any experience (being level 110, I don't know if they do or not), they should still be quests and treated exactly like all the other assignment/quests in the game.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
crystalwizard12345... on Apr 19, 2016 wrote:
Today is a complete wash out. I was given the assignment to go fight one grim Calaca in Azteca. No mention of where and as there's no arrow, no idea where.

I even went to wizard101central and looked the mob up (which I should NOT have to do), and I still can't find it. So I can't do the assignment.

These assignments should be considered quests. Just as much as going to tell Headmaster Ambrose you've finished a world is a quest. Or any of the hundreds of other single action activites in this game are quests. Lucky Hookline tells you to talk to his fishing buddy in grizzlehiem for example. There's nothing else to do, nothing complex, but it's a quest. Even if these assignments don't give any experience (being level 110, I don't know if they do or not), they should still be quests and treated exactly like all the other assignment/quests in the game.
The Grim Calacas are in Twin Giants, which the assignment (mine anyway) told me. They were immediately in view when I took the Twin Giants teleporter.

These aren't quests, and shouldn't be treated as such. They shouldn't show up in our quest books, but there should be Lodestone Icon on our screen after we've interacted with Aegon or the Lodestone. That should be the reminder popup.

I agree that these quests should be a little more interesting than they have been so far. Yes, I enjoy visiting worlds I haven't thought about in years, but I would like it to be more than wand hit and it's over. I'd also like the rewards to show up in the chat box.

To whomever disputed the request for challenge - I don't find not having to use my eyes or brain fun. I don't enjoy the constant nerfing KingsIsle done. All of the difficulty has been eliminated. We're not far from being able to wand hit bosses defeated.This game was never like that, and there are many long-time players fed up with the game no longer requiring any sort of "playing." Nerfing out all the difficulty actually has removed the fun from the game...

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
In many ways Pirate 101 has features that would be useful in Wiz101... for instance there's the option of bringing up a list... a very, very long list... of the messages you've received from the game. The method of displaying rewards is a little different and can be easy to miss but having this list available any time makes it a lot easier to tell what you're drops have been, etc. Something like this, tweaked to display NPC commentary would be a handy function. That is, if something were to be added. Personally, I don't see the need, I agree with Brynner... write it down. I know, it's a lost art but try it... it really works.

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
TucsonWizard on Apr 21, 2016 wrote:
In many ways Pirate 101 has features that would be useful in Wiz101... for instance there's the option of bringing up a list... a very, very long list... of the messages you've received from the game. The method of displaying rewards is a little different and can be easy to miss but having this list available any time makes it a lot easier to tell what you're drops have been, etc. Something like this, tweaked to display NPC commentary would be a handy function. That is, if something were to be added. Personally, I don't see the need, I agree with Brynner... write it down. I know, it's a lost art but try it... it really works.
Yes, this. It is clear that KI does not have any intentions of bringing us some sort of quest reminder for daily assignments, and while it would invariably have been handy, we still have the option to write it down. Faster, still, is the method of pushing your screenshot button and pasting into a blank file on MS Paint so you can just close without saving when you're done. It simply wasn't all that long ago when games didn't give you any reminder whatsoever on your objective- remember when we weren't even given maps to show where we were and we had to be our own cartographers? This idea of constantly spoonfeeding objectives to us is a pretty new thing and younger gamers seem to be spoiled by it. As such, there are plenty of simple workarounds, like *gasp* writing it down, that have withstood the test of time for a very small, simple issue.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Starblood653 on Apr 21, 2016 wrote:
Yes, this. It is clear that KI does not have any intentions of bringing us some sort of quest reminder for daily assignments, and while it would invariably have been handy, we still have the option to write it down. Faster, still, is the method of pushing your screenshot button and pasting into a blank file on MS Paint so you can just close without saving when you're done. It simply wasn't all that long ago when games didn't give you any reminder whatsoever on your objective- remember when we weren't even given maps to show where we were and we had to be our own cartographers? This idea of constantly spoonfeeding objectives to us is a pretty new thing and younger gamers seem to be spoiled by it. As such, there are plenty of simple workarounds, like *gasp* writing it down, that have withstood the test of time for a very small, simple issue.
Spot on with the "spoonfeeding" comment. This concept has dumbed down the game to the point where most people want everything handed to them on a silver platter.
The issue with the Daily Assignment is that it's a DAILY ASSIGNMENT. It's meant to be done today. That being the case, it's different than other "quests" that have no time limit and the intent is that if you take on the assignment you're going to do it now. If there's an issue with remembering what that assignment is... the one that you just read a minute ago... then the problem isn't with the game... it's a memory issue.
Also, if a reminder was to be added into the quest book then people would complain that they have to click through a page or two to find it. The horror!

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
If anybody has concerns about the assignments being too easy, there's an easy fix. Don't do them. It's like PvP. I don't like it, so I don't do it. It's a quick and simple solution to a non-complex problem.

Daily assignments I do. Not because I want some sort of special challenge, but because I particularly like the Arena Ticket and Crown rewards. And even though I won't use some of them, I've gotten some pretty significant rewards from the day 5, 10, and 15 chests.

While I've also thought it would be great to have some sort of reminder to click on if you forget the assignment, I also see a problem as it relates to what TusconWizard has stated. I don't know if people know this, but you don't actually have to go to the Lodestone or Aegon to get the assignment every time for every wizard. Once you know what the daily assignment is for a "weight class", you can go straight there with other wizards of that class without having to visit Aegon or the Lodestone.

For example, all of my level 101 - 110 wizards have the same assignment each day, and all of my level 91 - 100 wizards have the same assignment each day. I visit the Lodestone with 1 wizard from each group, and then the rest just go to the location to do whatever the assignment is. It's not like quests where you actually have to "activate" the quest in order to get credit for completing it. It's always active until it's complete.

So when would you get the quest arrow or reminder icon? Automatically every day? Then you've got one or the other popping up and people who have decided to opt out of this optional content will be complaining about not being able to get rid of it.

Simple solution if you want an in game reminder; type the assignment into your chat box and refer back to it if you forget where you're going.

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
I always write it out. When I go up to my house and click on it.. I say out loud what it is and where it is. Then I find it with my first person, and after that it is easy..

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Starblood653 on Apr 21, 2016 wrote:
>like *gasp* writing it down,

Writing it down doesn't *gasp* tell you where the mob is or place is

and

you shouldn't have to *gasp* use some sort of external system to play the game.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
crystalwizard12345... on Apr 25, 2016 wrote:

and

Just like you shouldn't have to *gasp* read online guides to get through a boss or dungeon.

and

you shouldn't have to *gasp* read boards to find out what's going on.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012

and

You don't have to use any sort of external system to play the game. Obviously the people who wrote those external guides were able to find them in order to write them for you to use. You have the benefit of being able to look things up, if you don't want to use it, don't. But don't complain that it can't be done without it. It HAS been done by many players before you and some of them were nice enough to share the information. The game should not play itself. You need to use your brain a little bit.

Squire
Jul 18, 2009

and

Lol I've never had issues finding mobs. And if your memory isn't good enough to remember two lines of instruction, you're kind of outta luck and will need just suck it up and use something "external.". I've never had to write anything down for any reason, but that's just me.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
My trick to remembering is this: I repeat the instructions to myself ( out loud, at least twice ). This plants a vocal memory in my mind - no need to write it down.
Also, I do that assignment first, before I get distracted by doing anything else.

Defender
Apr 07, 2011
crystalwizard12345... on Apr 7, 2016 wrote:
Day 2 thoughts:

1. yet another go fight one thing quest. This continues too long and I'll stop caring.
2. No quest arrow. Means my max level is running all over dragonspyre to find the crystal grove which I no longer can remember where it is. Frustrating, not fun.
3. my max level of 110 is handed a quest to go to dragonspyre. And fight a crystal crawler. That's one tempest cast the first round without even boosting. Boring.
4. nothing in my quest book means I have to go back to ravenwood or my house and pull the quest up again in order to remember what i'm supposed to do. Why is it not in the quest book?
5. for doing this I get - 600 gold? Come on, I'm at max gold and can't hardly get rid of the stuff. I don't need more gold. Bleh. Give me a cool housing item or something.
You have to speak to Aegon to receive your quest.

Defender
Apr 07, 2011
crystalwizard12345... on Apr 8, 2016 wrote:
Day three thoughts.

There is a very cool story line if you do the quests you get from Aegon, It's a different quest each time too.