Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Talents not from parents in a hatch

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 15, 2012
I've been playing for years and have gone through spurts of hatching and training pets. I've always ended up stopping because it takes so much time and resources that it starts to dominate my playing time as well as proving incredibly frustrating (bad talents showing up at mega).

I'm at it again and I just made the most frustrating and unfair discovery in all the years I've been doing this. I hatched two of my pets that both have all 5 talents exposed and the hatch that resulted had a talent that neither parent had. This happened twice in a row. It's already hard enough and requires multiple hatching to get the talents you desire into the pet you want but now we have to deal with random talents as well? What's the deal?

Has there been an update that now makes the hatching process even more random and unpredictable? I'm at the point of frustration of really hanging my hatching apron up for good. Any one know anything or any comment from KI about this?

Explorer
Sep 06, 2010
can't you get a 6th talent now with ultra?
because when i checked recently there are enough level up for the pets to have 6 talents now
unless that last one doesn't give another talent

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Silverlock67 on Feb 11, 2016 wrote:
I've been playing for years and have gone through spurts of hatching and training pets. I've always ended up stopping because it takes so much time and resources that it starts to dominate my playing time as well as proving incredibly frustrating (bad talents showing up at mega).

I'm at it again and I just made the most frustrating and unfair discovery in all the years I've been doing this. I hatched two of my pets that both have all 5 talents exposed and the hatch that resulted had a talent that neither parent had. This happened twice in a row. It's already hard enough and requires multiple hatching to get the talents you desire into the pet you want but now we have to deal with random talents as well? What's the deal?

Has there been an update that now makes the hatching process even more random and unpredictable? I'm at the point of frustration of really hanging my hatching apron up for good. Any one know anything or any comment from KI about this?
As you know, all pets start with ten potential talents in their gene pools... the five that will manifest when you train the pet plus others that remain latent. Because a talent does not show up when you train the pet doesn't mean that the potential for it to be passed on isn't still there. Because of this there's no guarantee that those five manifested talents are going to be the ones that manifest in their offspring. Unfortunately, we have to go through the lengthy training process in order to find out if one of those latent talents is going to show up. The only way to be assured of eliminating unwanted talents is through many, many generations of training.
So unless the parent pets were third, fourth or even later generation, you're going to have some of those trace, unwanted talents still floating around in there waiting to pop up when you least expect it.

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2010
dragonhelper2000 on Feb 12, 2016 wrote:
can't you get a 6th talent now with ultra?
because when i checked recently there are enough level up for the pets to have 6 talents now
unless that last one doesn't give another talent
You don't get a 6th talent from leveling a pet to Ultra. You get an Ultra Pet Jewel and the ability to use Ultra Pet Jewels for your Ultra pet.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Silverlock67 on Feb 11, 2016 wrote:

There isn't any way a pet can manifest a talent both parents didn't have.

As soon as you hatch a pet, the talents that will manifest are locked. There isn't any way to change the randomness of it no matter what you do.

When hatching two pets, the resulting baby pet will have talents from both parents. Not always the ones you want. There aren't very many people who play the game that know what every talent set their pet has (all 10). Even if you know every possible talent, there isn't a guarantee the ones that manifested before, will manifest again.

In that sense, it's random.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2012
The way it always worked in the past was the hatch got the 5 talents of each parent that would manifest in that parent in its 10 talent pool. The system decides which of those would manifest in the hatch.

If the parents each had their 5 talents manifested then you would know what ten talents the hatch had.

In my case I knew the ten talents in the hatch and I had a talent manifest that neither parent had passed on to the hatch, not even a talent I've seen in any of the dozens and dozens of pets I've trained. It was a random occurrence.

Defender
Mar 28, 2011
Silverlock67 on Mar 1, 2016 wrote:
The way it always worked in the past was the hatch got the 5 talents of each parent that would manifest in that parent in its 10 talent pool. The system decides which of those would manifest in the hatch.

If the parents each had their 5 talents manifested then you would know what ten talents the hatch had.

In my case I knew the ten talents in the hatch and I had a talent manifest that neither parent had passed on to the hatch, not even a talent I've seen in any of the dozens and dozens of pets I've trained. It was a random occurrence.
Sorry, no, it has never worked that way.

Hatched pets can inherit any mix of the 10 talent slots and 10 derby slots from each parent, even hidden ones. It has worked that way since the beginning of the advanced pet system. There's never been a limit of 5 from each, or that manifested would pass or manifest again. Dominant talents, which are usually the ones that manifest when a pet is fully trained, are slightly more likely to come up again, but there is a LOT of chance involved.

You got a hidden talent from one of the parents. That happens from time to time.