Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Good Armor For Life and Death?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 04, 2016
Hi Guys! So, we were wondering a few things and we were hoping you can use it. (When I say we I mean my sis and I, as this is a family account)

Some things to note:
  • I (Kat) am a Life Student Wizard using Myth as my secondary school.
  • My sister (Bunny) is a Death Student Wizard using Storm as her secondary school.
  • We haven't played this game since 2010 (and we're in our early 20's...it feels like 2010 wasn't that long ago) and decided to start all over again, so while we know a few things, we don't know the new stuff that's out there!
  • We understand resistances and boosts, and we understand most concepts of the game (we're still refreshing ourselves as time goes!)
  • I'm building myself as a tanky/healer/support type so I will most likely be in the first circle (to take most of the damage). Bunny is the damage.

Our Questions:

1. What's good armor? (at all/any levels)
  2. What's good all resistance armor? (at all/any levels)
  3. What's a good way to level? (at all/any levels) Example: 10-20 Grind mobs/Bosses in Sunken City
  4. What are good items to up our accuracy? If there are any items.
  5. Would crafting help?
  6. Would having a pet at a decent level help in battles?
  7. And Bunny would like to inquire: Why is Fizzle a thing? :(
  8. And Kat would like to inquire: Why can't we change the color of ALL our pets?

Thanks for answering if you choose to do so. :D

Sincerely,
Kat the Life Wizard

Alura Soulthorn Lvl 15

Survivor
Aug 13, 2014
1. I would recommend using bazaar armor until about level 60, and get the Waterworks gear set for your respective schools at that point. At least that's what I've done with all my characters.
2. If you're willing to spend crowns, there's some good resistance armor in the crowns shop. However, I usually don't make resistance a priority until level 60 with the Waterworks gear.
3. I've always done quests to level, side quests will usually offer around the same amount of xp as a main quest.
4. Around level 15 you can begin socketing jewels to your rings, athames, decks, and amulets. There are certain jewels for accuracy.
5. I would recommend crafting gear for level 74-76 and level 94-96, as it gives lots of critical and accuracy compared to Waterworks gear. Also, level 94-96 crafted gear cannot be traded, so if you have multiple characters you will have to craft on each one.
6. I always have a healing pet with resist to aid me, and lots of people are willing to hatch if you just ask. (hint: me)
7. Bunny, it's sadly just bad luck. :(
8. Kat, sadly, it isn't coded into the game. At least not yet.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!
Kestrel Moon 110
Autumn SpiritWalker 97
Ellie TitanHeart 46
Emily Jade 49

Survivor
Jan 04, 2016
Hey Krestel.

Thanks for the answers! I'll be sure to tell Bunny!

I do have some questions myself still.

When it comes to hatching, does my pet have to be a certain level? I already have a pet and she's still a baby, I know I can grind pet games (which I honestly, don't mind doing), but are there other ways to level? Or is it just hatching and pet games?

As for crafting the gear, wouldn't it be pointless then to craft it? If it's not tradeable? Or can it be broke down into materials again (I can't remember, if that's a thing with crafted items).

And for Waterworks gear -while this seems like a dumb question, I'm not the brightest person- where/when do you come across it or is that buyable?

Thanks for answering though! We appreciate it. :D

Sincerely,
Kat the Life Wizard

Alura Soulthorn Lvl 15

Survivor
Nov 27, 2009
Well might as well throw my 2 cents down to assist. (Note these are for UNDER Lvl 60. Do waterworks at 60 and I'd recommend having assistance for the Archmage challenges. They actually give some pretty nice gear for 70 drops)

1: armor is entirely on what you want to do. There's health based. Resistance based. Damage based. It really can go anyway you want. So idk if most people can answer this. It's based on your play style.

2: if your into hatching. Pets are a really good way to boost resistances. I have a pet with 16 universal resist and a few 15 universal resists. Otherwise it's hard for low levels to have universal resistance.

3: do the main quest line. But accept every possible side quest along the way. Who knows. Maybe your main quest line will run into the same thing as a side (aka defeat "this enemy" a few times)

4: referring to pets. Gems are a great way to boost accuracy. As well as other stats. I'd look into them

5:always. Crafting is a HUGE help especially later on. I'd recommend doing it for both you and your sister.

6: pets are always helpful especially if they got the correct talents to help you. Refer to answer 2.

7: nobodys perfect. Heck fizzle saved my life plenty of times. From an enemy using efreet JUST before I attack as well as having a tiny bit of health and they fizzle.

8: not all pets liked to be dyed. Could you imagine a red dog or green cat roaming around in real life? I couldn't lol

Answering the other questions.
1: yes it has to be at minimum adult. The traits it unlocked are irrelevant for the talents. It's randomly picked between both parents.

2: crafting is never pointless. When they mean no trade. They mean you can't trade it between the bazaar. Your trade bank works fine in this matter.

3 waterworks isn't buyable. Once you hit Lvl 60 you can go to balestrom and he will offer the quest.

Hope this helped.

Survivor
Aug 13, 2014
Logan hit the nail on the head as far as what I would say. In addition to his answer, I would also like to point out that crafted gear is very superior to bazaar gear for levels 74-99, my death used level 74-76 crafted gear up until time to use level 94-96 crafted gear! Concerning Waterworks, Halestrom (whoever the storm professor is lol) will give you the quest for the Waterworks dungeon when you get to level 60. The dungeon will have to be repeated a few (or many) times to get your entire set of gear.

Defender
Dec 31, 2014
Kat and Bunny on Jan 5, 2016 wrote:
Hi Guys! So, we were wondering a few things and we were hoping you can use it. (When I say we I mean my sis and I, as this is a family account)

Some things to note:
  • My sister (Bunny) is a Death Student Wizard using Storm as her secondary school.
  • We haven't played this game since 2010 (and we're in our early 20's...it feels like 2010 wasn't that long ago) and decided to start all over again, so while we know a few things, we don't know the new stuff that's out there!
  • We understand resistances and boosts, and we understand most concepts of the game (we're still refreshing ourselves as time goes!)
  • I'm building myself as a tanky/healer/support type so I will most likely be in the first circle (to take most of the damage). Bunny is the damage.

Our Questions:

3. What's a good way to level? (at all/any levels) Example: 10-20 Grind mobs/Bosses in Sunken City
  5. Would crafting help?
  8. And Kat would like to inquire: Why can't we change the color of ALL our pets?

Sincerely,
Kat the Life Wizard

Alura Soulthorn Lvl 15
If you're a wizard using as your secondary school, you should only be using it for Earthquake, which is a useful utility spell, I suggest using a Myth Mastery Amulet to use Earthquake faster, put in some Shatter Treasure Cards as well if you need to. If your sister is a wizard using as her secondary school, I suggest you have her buy all her training points back. Secondary schools are for utilities, not attacks, and Storm doesn't have any useful utilities for training points. If you're starting over, you should keep this in mind so you don't make the same mistake again. Considering your last note about your roles, I suggest that you make a , , or wizard to support and heal, and a or wizard to hit.

Anyways, here are the answers to your questions:
  1. I'm assuming you mean gear by "armor", the best gear depends on your play style.
  2. The gear giving the most resistance at most levels is the Jade Gear from the Keeper's Lore Pack, which costs 399 Crowns to open, although I don't suggest you spend your Crowns on this. A good alternative would be gear from dungeons like Waterworks, which gives a decent amount of resistance at level 60, or Darkmoor Gear, which boosts a lot of stats at Level 100.
  3. Do your quests, that's the only good way to level up. I wouldn't suggest farming bosses in Sunken City to level up since battles give low experience.
  4. Triangle Jewels and certain pieces of gear can boost your accuracy, you may have to look up what gear this is.
  5. I never considered crafting before, but it does give decent gear.
  6. Pets always help if they boost stats (at all levels) or heal (if you are a lower level).
  7. Fizzle is just luck, and it's an important mechanic of the game.
  8. Different variations of the same pet could be different colors. Example: Wetland and Sorcerer Hunters.

For a final note, I wouldn't recommend sharing an account but having separate ones if you're questing together, only one character from an account can be online at a time.

Survivor
Jan 04, 2016
@Logan, Thanks for the answers! I appreciate it. :) We'll definitely look into everything right now, we're a low level. :) so it's rough, but Waterworks gears sounds awesome! I'm excited to start it up.

@Krestel, Then I guess I should stop selling the materials I find then huh? ^^"

@George, This isn't our first time playing, we've played since 2010, so, we do know the schools that should be paired off best as secondary. We decided to have some fun this time around and do a Yin and Yang sort of thing. :) I'm A Life student, she's a Death Student, and because she chose Storm, I chose Myth (as when you encounter Storm monsters they're weak to Myth and when you encounter Myth they're weak to Storm). We're just trying to have fun.

And by the same account I meant the same family account. Suppose I should've made that more clear.

This is the main account is all. ^^

Thanks you all for your answers. I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

Defender
Dec 31, 2014
Kat and Bunny on Jan 7, 2016 wrote:
@Logan, Thanks for the answers! I appreciate it. :) We'll definitely look into everything right now, we're a low level. :) so it's rough, but Waterworks gears sounds awesome! I'm excited to start it up.

@Krestel, Then I guess I should stop selling the materials I find then huh? ^^"

@George, This isn't our first time playing, we've played since 2010, so, we do know the schools that should be paired off best as secondary. We decided to have some fun this time around and do a Yin and Yang sort of thing. :) I'm A Life student, she's a Death Student, and because she chose Storm, I chose Myth (as when you encounter Storm monsters they're weak to Myth and when you encounter Myth they're weak to Storm). We're just trying to have fun.

And by the same account I meant the same family account. Suppose I should've made that more clear.

This is the main account is all. ^^

Thanks you all for your answers. I'll be sure to keep it in mind.
Even if there are boosts and resistances, secondary schools for attacks is a terrible way to spend training points. They will become useless once you get to about Level 30, when the best gear only provides attack boosts for your schools and not any others. You will most likely deal higher damage with Life or Death than you would with Myth and Storm even if they are boosted against Myth or Storm or resist Life or Death. By the way, there's always going to be converts as an option.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2013
This is my (personal) XP/Gear Guide from level 1 to 15. Keep in mind that until very recently, my siblings and I did not have a membership, so there may be better places out there, but this is what was available to me.

So until you gain entrance unto to mystical and glorious land of the Kracken, I find that Rattlebones and or Lady Blachope are the best spots. If you just grind there, you can get decent stuff. The approach I took was to earn a lot of stuff, and then sell it so I could buy better gear. Also the Fairy Queen is pretty good. My sister has gotten a few 1 day mounts and pets off of her. :)

Golem Tower has pretty good XP if you do it over and over again.

The Kracken is very good. The items you get are good, and if you don't need them, they sell well.

The rest of it is pretty much up to your playing style. Some bosses I find hard are not hard for others, while some I think are easy are hard for others. If you and Bunny are farming together, I would take on dungeons, while if you are doing it solo, stick with bosses.

I often find a really good set of gear that costs too much, so I have started a trust fund for myself. :) Basically I stick some of my gear into the bank, and when I desperately need some cash, I sell it as a last resort. If you only use it occasionally, you can mount up a good stash. :)

Enjoy playing with your sister!

-Rebecca Ashhunter

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Kat and Bunny on Jan 5, 2016 wrote:

Some things to note:

Our Questions:

5. Would crafting help?

Sincerely,
Kat the Life Wizard

Alura Soulthorn Lvl 15
1. Depends on what you're looking for. Whoever's hitting will probably want more damage/critical, whoever's supporting will probably want more resist/block.
2. Jade gear from packs is best, you really don't get much high universal resist armor that has other good stats until around 50-60. Waterworks gear will last you until Hades, where you can get the more defensive set from him, and then Darkmoor, which provides top-quality gear. You may want to skip Hades if you can handle 10 more levels with whatever gear you have at level 90. Zeus gear is also great at level 30, it can last you until Waterworks.
3. Do quests. No better way.
4.Anything that you can find in the Bazaar that gives accuracy. I think Zeus gear gives accuracy, Hades gear probably gives accuracy too, and Darkmoor gear gives you all the accuracy you'll ever need. Waterworks gear won't give you any accuracy, it'll give you power pips. Bear in mind this is school accuracy- using a secondary school spell won't be any more accurate.
5. The crafted boots that give universal resist and block are some of the best, I've seen many recommendations to craft the Azteca and Khrysalis ones. Darkmoor boots overshadow them, but they can be a good substitute.
6. Yes, and it should be the Enchanted Armament. Best PvE pet in the game. Your life will be so much easier with those Sharpened Blade cards.
7. Fizzle was intended to balance out the schools at lower levels, i.e. Storm has lots of damage but will fizzle more often. At higher levels gear provides enough accuracy to almost never fizzle.
8. Maybe those pets don't want to change. Why should they, just to suit your desires?

Survivor
Nov 27, 2009
Just now thought of this, in fact did it to MY as well

i would HEAVILY recommend both of you switching your "secondary" schools respectfully

( and 2nd, where as and 2nd)

the reason behind this, is after you get to lvl 32, myth learns the spell minotaur, however there is an enchantment "mutate minotaur" which causes it to become a death school spell, 65/650 damage, i use this all the time instead of poison, and keep the TC versions of enchant in my deck so their easy to use.

But as always, this is just my opinion, your free to do whatever you wish