Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Determining drop chance based on kills

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 28, 2010
I don't have any idea how drop chance in wizard101 is determined however i am fairly certain there are mechanics that determine whether or not something is dropped, mechanics that allow things to be rare and common drops etc. I would like to suggest a more dynamic system in which the more times you fight and defeat an enemy the higher percentage of dropping rare items there is. For balancing reasons once you had received that item once the percentage goes back to its original state. I feel this would lower the grind aspect of farming, while the nature of farming is grind, if you know you are making progress and not just being random each time, players will be more invested in farming and may ultimately lead to more player online time and more membership time.

Explorer
Jul 20, 2014
Drops are completely random. What makes a drop rare or not is only how many times you kill a boss in order to get the drop. For example, a rare drop will drop to less wizards than a common one. That's why you see more wizards wearing Senetor gear than Zeus gear (Mount Olympus).

Leesha StarForge, level 90

Survivor
Jun 28, 2010
if they are completely random then how is there rare drops in the first place. if they were completely random then all drops would have an equal chance of dropping and therefore there would be nothing considered rare

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
pibx10 on Aug 17, 2015 wrote:
if they are completely random then how is there rare drops in the first place. if they were completely random then all drops would have an equal chance of dropping and therefore there would be nothing considered rare
Random chance doesn't require equal chances for every item. Every game of random chance involves variable odds for variable outcomes. You have different payouts based on the rarity of the outcome.

Survivor
Jun 28, 2010
That is exactly what i meant. It is completely random currently but there are things in place to determine whether or not an item is rare. a simple, if a random number is this value out of a defined set of values, the more values in that set the more rare the item is. A way to implement a more fulfilling system would be to keep track of the amount of times a player has defeated an enemy and in some cases such as difficult bosses or dungeons such as dartmoor, lower the set of values and therefore decrease the rarity of a particular item. after said item was dropped the value set would reset to its original value