Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Dual School Mastery Amulets

AuthorMessage
Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Mythographer on Oct 27, 2015 wrote:
Typically, I don't post on the forums very often. I did want to give my input on this particular suggestion, however.

Healing isn't, in my opinion, what makes life unique. It is group healing. Those spells would remain in the purview of the life school regardless of dual mastery amulets. You cannot train up Myth's minion spells, either. And Fire's DoTs are unavailable after Fire Elf. And so on and so forth. Dual mastery amulets would not make these spells, spells that are unique and defining for their respective schools, suddenly available for training.

If the idea is that dual mastery amulets takes away people's je ne sais quoi or somehow infringe upon their school's specialty... that is a flawed theory.

As it is, mastery amulets are what allow characters to diversify their portfolios effectively. That and deck set up.

What kills a game? An mmorpg specifically? In my mind, it is the collection quests like those that you find in Zafaria. I have stopped playing and taken more breaks over that issue than I have for anything else in the game. That and cheating bosses. You know what? If I could get another mastery amulet and mix and match an additional school into my play style, I could at least use those collection quests as a chance to experiment with new spells. lol

Personally, I think that everyone here has made some good points for and against, but ultimately I say that the evidence against the idea is too weak and founded on too much speculation rather than fact. Dual mastery amulets would let wizards use more spells of their choosing effectively - that sounds like diverse game play to me.

I'm sorry if this isn't what some of you want to hear. It is just my thoughts on the matter.
Nearly every school's spells appear in TC form easily available from the Bazaar. Allowing a player to use power pip mastery of 3 schools is exceedingly overpowered. High level wizards have nearly 100% if not over on them already. With the addition of the middle pip shadow spell TC's in the update, it would allow any wizard access to three schools of the most powerful attacks available to each. The addition of the newer high level TC's changes it up a lot from mainly using Mastery just for utility spells.

Delver
Mar 31, 2015
seethe42 on Oct 28, 2015 wrote:
Nearly every school's spells appear in TC form easily available from the Bazaar. Allowing a player to use power pip mastery of 3 schools is exceedingly overpowered. High level wizards have nearly 100% if not over on them already. With the addition of the middle pip shadow spell TC's in the update, it would allow any wizard access to three schools of the most powerful attacks available to each. The addition of the newer high level TC's changes it up a lot from mainly using Mastery just for utility spells.
Eh? Do you know how hard those are to actually get? Cause I just have two TC, and those were from a locked chest unlocked by a gold skeleton key in the middle of one of the hardest dungeons in the history of Wizard101. Besides, they all but got rid of Triage from the Bazaar apparently, so I don't see any reason why they can't make TC any less difficult to get. (Although, I do see a icon at the Bazaar, but as of this moment there is nothing there).

Sure I can blade with loads of TC and unlesh an off-school Spinysaur or something on my opponent, but unless I have the pierce to make it a viable attack it's going to be fairly useless, ESPECIALLY since TC cards cannot be enchanted further...

Meanwhile the other guy that isn't using turn-wasting TC would be hammering away at me.

Survivor
Mar 18, 2010
I could probably only see this happening if the secondary mastery school is moon. This would make shifting more useful to players, so the addition of it in khrysalis wouldn't be a waste. So here are some names of them.

Amulet of Artemis
Mastery of and
cannot use

Amulet of the Waxing Moon
Mastery of and
cannot use

Amulet of the Waning Moon
Mastery of and
cannot use

Amulet of Gravitational Energy
Mastery of and
cannot use

Amulet of the Winter Solstice
Mastery of and
cannot use

Amulet of the Summer Solstice
Mastery of and
cannot use

Amulet of the Equinox
Mastery of and
cannot use

It can be argued that this could eventually become overpowered if shifts become stronger and stronger over time, but at the moment, moon magic is quite weak in terms of shifting and as of khrysalis tier creatures, polymorphs. One thing is for sure though, a mastery combination of 2 main schools that isn't your own is way overpowered. Doing this would just bring forth another rise in a once abandoned technique in battle.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
"I thought you were going to stop beating the proverbial dead horse, Intrepidatius." - Exabytes

Sigh. I was, but sadly we still have people posting/championing a simple opinion of preference, when they have no clue the havoc a suggestion such as this will reek on the game they are trying to improve. I never post on subjects that I am not informed on, if only others would do the same.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance, and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther King Jr.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Exabytes on Oct 28, 2015 wrote:
Eh? Do you know how hard those are to actually get? Cause I just have two TC, and those were from a locked chest unlocked by a gold skeleton key in the middle of one of the hardest dungeons in the history of Wizard101. Besides, they all but got rid of Triage from the Bazaar apparently, so I don't see any reason why they can't make TC any less difficult to get. (Although, I do see a icon at the Bazaar, but as of this moment there is nothing there).

Sure I can blade with loads of TC and unlesh an off-school Spinysaur or something on my opponent, but unless I have the pierce to make it a viable attack it's going to be fairly useless, ESPECIALLY since TC cards cannot be enchanted further...

Meanwhile the other guy that isn't using turn-wasting TC would be hammering away at me.
I was referring to new TC coming in the test realm. The cards are the 5 pip + 1 shadow spells, and they drop very regularly and can be sold and traded. They aren't listed as they are listed by the mastery school. I'm not very far into Polaris and have found 4-6 of each school's version.

Delver
Mar 31, 2015
Happy (belated) New Year folks. I haven't posted on this for a while because we had a few outspoken naysayers last year, but now I think it's time to revisit this subject.

Dual School Mastery Amulets would be awesome because...drum roll please...they are logical. That or mastery jewels, but we will need more sockets for those to become practical.

My favourite, as I am primarily Balance, would be a & mastery; Life for obvious reasons, and Myth for Earthquake vs the blade stackers, while gaining an additional Stun utility. Ice and Death will also benefit the most from this amulet.

Fires and Storms would benefit the most, in my opinion, from a & mastery, although as we know, Storms don't really need a mastery at all.

Life would become a force to be reckoned with with an & mastery.

If you want to complain about overpowered, talk about Fire Beetle, or Armor Piercing, or something else that actually warrants that label. This is actually just fine. If you must, make it no PVP or something. But you can't deny its applicability.

Alright then, here we go again...

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Delver
Feb 01, 2010
I don't agree that a dual mastery amulet is something that should be added into the game. I feel that that's a little much. However to the people saying that regular mastery amulets shouldn't be in the game either, I completely disagree. I have a fire wizard that I just got to the max level and I got to say, it was a struggle. If I had a life mastery amulet it probably would have helped me so much. Fire is incapable of healing themselves in a way that's actually helpful and I had to rely on other people to heal me most of the time. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, sometimes I want to solo or even HAVE to solo but have a rough time doing it without being able to heal.

I don't see how the ability to use spells from other schools makes the game less unique. If anything it just makes the game more fun, isn't that the point? Wouldn't it get boring after a while to just use the same spells over, and over, and over? Yes you could argue that you could just make another wizard, but to get really up there in levels takes time. Also you either have to buy a mastery amulet with a pretty hefty amount of crowns or farm one at darkmoor, so it's not like they're easy to come by anyways.

Yes there needs to be limitations, but I think ONE mastery is fine.

Joseph Fireflame Level 110
Joseph Darkthorn Level 45