Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Make Wizard101 compatible with Windows 8.1!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 08, 2012
I have been playing Wizard101 for a very long time. I had just defeated Malistaire the Undying of Darkmoor at Level 100, got the final piece of the gear I needed. I was the perfect char with the perfect pet. I had all of my spells; Mystic Colossus, Celestial Calendar, Sharpen, Potent, Reliquary, etc. And then, suddenly, my game crashed. I restarted it, suspicious, however it gave me a message something like this; "Please reinstall the Wizard101 downloader". I did what it said, however the window crashed immediately. I deleted the file and attempted this dozens more times, however it did not work. I troubleshot its compatibility, and guess what I learned?

Wizard101 was not compatible with Windows 8.1.
And I was quite furious.

I cannot magically make my computer go back to the simple Windows 8, and so I can no longer play my favorite game in the world. I never had the pleasure of completing the final world, nor moving onto Polaris when it came out this Fall. I had not defeated Morganthe (I intended to solo her), nor will I ever.
Unless you make it compatible with Windows 8.1. I will soon be cancelling my membership if this is not fixed soon or if I do not find a way to fix this. I invested $150+ into this game, and suddenly it stops working.

Please, Kingsisle, I BEG of you, make it compatible with Windows 8.1.

-Tyler Titanstaff, LVL 100 ,,

Administrator
Hello,

I believe this error message must be wrong, because Wizard101 is compatible with Windows 8.1.

For additional technical assistance with the game, please send an email to support@wizard101.com. Sorry for the confusion!

community@wizard101.com
Squire
Jun 13, 2011
Professor Greyrose on Jul 13, 2015 wrote:
Hello,

I believe this error message must be wrong, because Wizard101 is compatible with Windows 8.1.

For additional technical assistance with the game, please send an email to support@wizard101.com. Sorry for the confusion!
I hope it's compatible with Windows 10, as well, because it's very different from past Windows systems, from what I've read.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
I do wish, however, that it worked better with Windows 8.1.

For whatever reason, I sometimes lose control of my touchpad. As in, no cursor to use to choose things. Sometimes I'm able to choose cards via the screen - as in touchscreen - and other times it doesn't work.

I think the touchpad is commonly known Windows 8.1 issue, but most other software conistently works via touching the (monitor) screen.

I know that Wizard is set to run on the oldest systems likely out there, so that "kids can play on Grandma's computer" but I sometimes wish I could use my Yoga 2 Pro like Lenovo intends. . .

Survivor
Feb 08, 2012
My computer says it's Windows 8.1 that isn't compatible.
Possibly it's my computer? A Lenovo Y-5070.

Survivor
Jan 07, 2013
What are you talking about? I am running windows 8.1 and it works fine, except the particles I have to put all the way down or it just downright crashes to no end. Sometimes to the point to where I have to restart my computer since it crashes to where that is the only thing left to do otherwise the computer would stay frozen forever. I just purchased my computer a little over a year ago, shipped with windows 8.1. At this point there is no reason why I should be facing issues, considering windows 8 and 8.1 have been around for a couple years now.

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
I've been looking to buy a Lenovo Yoga this fall--and was getting really excited for it. But maybe it isn't a good idea? Paige Goldenspear: Do the issues with the Yoga and W101 interfere too much or does it usually work?

~Emma Dreamweaver 100

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
magykal412 on Jul 17, 2015 wrote:
I've been looking to buy a Lenovo Yoga this fall--and was getting really excited for it. But maybe it isn't a good idea? Paige Goldenspear: Do the issues with the Yoga and W101 interfere too much or does it usually work?

~Emma Dreamweaver 100
Doesn't happen often, and I don't think it's the Yoga 2 so much as an issue with 8.1. So any 2-in-1 probably has this issue.

I did have to adjust my resolution, though. Wizard would crash open login when I used the full resolution of the Ultrabook, and I run the game at a third resolution. I'm not home atm, but when I get home, I'll edit this with the resolution I used so that it consistently works.

In other news, I absolutely love this computer. Bought it Feb 2014 and am as happy with it today as when I picked it up at Best Buy.

Defender
Nov 19, 2009
Trimond297 on Jul 13, 2015 wrote:
I hope it's compatible with Windows 10, as well, because it's very different from past Windows systems, from what I've read.
On a slightly off note to the Original Poster, I have windows 10 and it works with it. Just a few graphical bugs which I have already submitted to wizard101 support. All in all it works with windows 10. Windows 8.1 It works fine in. Just gotta make sure all your drivers are up to date and make sure you get all the latest windows Updates and it will work just fine. Hope this helps :)

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
PaigeGoldenspear on Jul 18, 2015 wrote:
Doesn't happen often, and I don't think it's the Yoga 2 so much as an issue with 8.1. So any 2-in-1 probably has this issue.

I did have to adjust my resolution, though. Wizard would crash open login when I used the full resolution of the Ultrabook, and I run the game at a third resolution. I'm not home atm, but when I get home, I'll edit this with the resolution I used so that it consistently works.

In other news, I absolutely love this computer. Bought it Feb 2014 and am as happy with it today as when I picked it up at Best Buy.
Yay! Thank you for replying! I am excited again to get the Yoga! I'm used to using the lowest resolution since that was the default for my computer when I first started playing. At this point, I prefer it over the higher ones. Resolution likely won't end up being a problem.

~Emma Dreamweaver 100

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
i have 2 laptops, one with win7 and one with windows 8.1. and both run the game perfectly fine.

@paige, the issue you described happens all the time while i'm dual-boxing (running 2 accounts at once); my cursor will disappear on one of the screens, but all i have to do is blindly move my mouse around until it finds something clickable (usually cards, if i'm in combat) and it comes back as soon as i left-click.

(i don't rely on the touchpads, since i find them too sensitive; i have a tiny usb mouse i use instead, so i can move it between computers)

@op~ your issue sounds like it may be related to outdated drivers. the good news is, updating your drivers is easy and free, if you know where to look (i use iobit driver booster 2).

some other possibilities are memory leaks and/or cpu spikes (based on some reading i've done, both are quite common on windows 8 and higher~ i have never experienced these issues on win7, but it happens on my 8.1 laptop and my s.o's high-end gaming pc fairly regularly).

i'm not super tech-y, but maybe this will help you pinpoint the cause of your issue.

-von

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
I'm running windows 10 pro 64 bit, works for me. The beta version worked as well. Only problem I encountered was windows restarting my pc for a silly update while in game.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
@DrVon. When I dual box, I actually use two PCs because my eyes are old. And we have an extra laptop.