Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

make a badge that says "I dont gift"

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 28, 2013
Hello,

Before I start this comment, I am sure I am going to get many replies like "Oh just ignore them" or "leave the area" I have commented about this before and I got those replies. I appreciate the replies. However, My ignore list would be maxed out, and I would never get a chance to train my pet if I followed that advice.
Kingsisle, please make a badge that says "I DONT GIFT" or "DONT ASK FOR GIFTS"
It would be a great way to stop the beggars before they ask. It would not change the game at all, just a simple solution to a Hugh problem.

I have crowns, and I pay good money for them. When you buy items with crowns, it shows.
You become a beacon for beggars! I have the tiki wave runner board mount, and the pixie set for energy when I am in the pet pavilion. So I become a beacon showing that I have crowns. I was told in another message to just ignore them, or switch realms, or don't go in that area!
ok to ignore them is a waste, because they still get in your face and ask. I switch realms only to be asked again. and I like to hatch pets, so I don't want to leave that area.
By now I can tell when someone is about to ask. They start by either just saying my name, or "Mark. can I as you something"
I am sure I am not alone, when I say I am sick of the beggars! I mean do they go in there streets and ask people for things? no! I have had people ask me for things that cost 12 thousand crowns!
I think if there was a way to just tell them "NO" from the start, it would be much more peaceful in the game.
Please consider making a badge that says "I DONT GIFT" or "DONT ASK FOR GIFTS"

Thank You,
Mark Dragonleaf L65 Storm.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I agree that something needs to be done, but I don't feel like a badge would really stop people.

Transcript based on true events...
Beggar: hey bro
Me: hi
Beggar: hey i like your mount
Me: ty
Beggar: ya np bro
Me: <nothing>
Beggar: you got crowns?
Me: i don't gift people
Beggar: why?
Me: no
Beggar: just this one time?
Beggar: plz?
<realm change>

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
stormkraker on Feb 1, 2014 wrote:
Hello,

Before I start this comment, I am sure I am going to get many replies like "Oh just ignore them" or "leave the area" I have commented about this before and I got those replies. I appreciate the replies. However, My ignore list would be maxed out, and I would never get a chance to train my pet if I followed that advice.
Kingsisle, please make a badge that says "I DONT GIFT" or "DONT ASK FOR GIFTS"
It would be a great way to stop the beggars before they ask. It would not change the game at all, just a simple solution to a Hugh problem.

I have crowns, and I pay good money for them. When you buy items with crowns, it shows.
You become a beacon for beggars! I have the tiki wave runner board mount, and the pixie set for energy when I am in the pet pavilion. So I become a beacon showing that I have crowns. I was told in another message to just ignore them, or switch realms, or don't go in that area!
ok to ignore them is a waste, because they still get in your face and ask. I switch realms only to be asked again. and I like to hatch pets, so I don't want to leave that area.
By now I can tell when someone is about to ask. They start by either just saying my name, or "Mark. can I as you something"
I am sure I am not alone, when I say I am sick of the beggars! I mean do they go in there streets and ask people for things? no! I have had people ask me for things that cost 12 thousand crowns!
I think if there was a way to just tell them "NO" from the start, it would be much more peaceful in the game.
Please consider making a badge that says "I DONT GIFT" or "DONT ASK FOR GIFTS"

Thank You,
Mark Dragonleaf L65 Storm.
As much as I like the idea, the onus should not be on us to tell the beggars 'no'. If it were my game, I would do one of the following:

1) make the phrase 'gift me' (or any variations) show up in red text;
2) make begging a reportable offense;
3) get rid of gifting entirely, with the exception of:

a) accounts in the same family;
b) purple names on your buddy-list (favourites).

I hope KI will take this, and all similar suggestions, into account as I, like you, am sick and tired of having a target on my back.

-von

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
Dr Von,
I completely agree and back your idea.

If we can only gift Our Family Accounts or our favorite friends, then the begging woudl lessen, except for the really pushy ones who ask to be friended and favorited so they can get a pack...

However, as you've stated, if Begging were bannable and reportable, then there would surely be less of it in game

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Sarg042 on Feb 4, 2014 wrote:
Dr Von,
I completely agree and back your idea.

If we can only gift Our Family Accounts or our favorite friends, then the begging woudl lessen, except for the really pushy ones who ask to be friended and favorited so they can get a pack...

However, as you've stated, if Begging were bannable and reportable, then there would surely be less of it in game
I agree. If the beggars had to put actual effort into it (read: time and energy invested into relationships to become a favourite), they probably wouldn't do it as often, or at all. Remember, beggars beg because they don't want to do the work.

I think that would eliminate 90% of the problem. The remaining 10% still bold enough to ask would be promptly reported, and the Spiral would be a much-nicer place. :)

-v.

Defender
Jul 03, 2012
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! All I did was had my mom change my gifting setting to 'X' in parental controls.. Now you can't even if you wanted to C:

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
another option would be to make gifting items only those that can be bought with gold. That would totally get rid of the need for people to ask for gifts since they can buy them themselves ;-)

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Dr Von on Feb 2, 2014 wrote:
As much as I like the idea, the onus should not be on us to tell the beggars 'no'. If it were my game, I would do one of the following:

I hope KI will take this, and all similar suggestions, into account as I, like you, am sick and tired of having a target on my back.

-von
These are excellent suggestions! I hope KI seriously considers this. It's getting REAL old.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Time Warped on Feb 4, 2014 wrote:
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! All I did was had my mom change my gifting setting to 'X' in parental controls.. Now you can't even if you wanted to C:
Sure, but why should we *have* to even resort to that?

I am an adult. It's as easy as disabling my own settings, but why would I do that when I enjoy gifting my real friends on their birthdays? My roommate's girlfriend has a daughter who plays this game with me, and I enjoy sending her little gifts on occasion. I know other people have similar motivations, so why deprive us of that because some people abuse the privilege?

It's time we put the blame where it belongs: on the beggars.

-von

Defender
Jun 28, 2013
Time Warped on Feb 4, 2014 wrote:
Thank you Time warp,

I am aware of the setting. I have my daughters account set to no gifts also.

However, You are missing the point. I don't want anyone to ask from the start. Regardless if I have the feature set to "no gift" has absolutely no relevance to the problem.
Even if I had it set to "NO GIFTING" how does that stop them from asking?
I recall one incident in which someone was asking my daughter for a gift. She would tell them that she can't gift. Do you think that stopped them? No would just ask "oh why can't you gift" just have your dad turn your gifting to "ON"
So you see TIME WARP, the persistence is still there. Even if I turn off my gifting, They still ask.

Thank You,
Mark Dragonleaf L66 Storm

Survivor
Jul 21, 2009
Lol I have some Crowns gear on and the Tiki Board also and i get followed by level 5s just so they can ask me to gift them some crowns gear. I simply say no and then i just carry on with whatever im doing. If they try to private message me i just right click on the message and wait until they give up. I might help out some people but not just any random person trying to find someone with crowns. I've gifted someone before and they saw me as a little crowns bank and would constantly ask me to gift them potions and gear cause they reached a certain level in the game. Simply the word "No" is all that i need :)

Wolf LifeShard

Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
I like the idea, I was also thinking of when people bribe you to help them with crowns, and they don't give you crowns after you help them, I have never fell for this, but sometimes I wonder if some people are telling the truth it would be cool if you could have a system where the other player clicks a button that says offer crowns for a certain quest like a dungeon or something so after whoever helps them with it does the quest they get a gift and the other person can't just walk away and not give crowns, I know most people that say they will gift are not actually going to but it would be cool cause some people probably would actually do that if they had enough extra crowns... Anyways got a little off topic there the i don't gift badge would be cool

Lvl 95
Lvl 66

Hero
Feb 26, 2012

-von
Von this is one of the best ideas I have seen to solve this problem yet. I really hope KI takes this suggestion and makes it work. It would solve one of the biggest and most complained about offenses in the game.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012

-von
#3 I would say is the only real possible option. #1-2 both go against KI's interests. They are after all a business and people gifting does make them money. Everyone finds begging annoying, but the reality of it is...
NO ONE can make you gift them anything.
NO ONE is stopping you from clicking Ignore.
NO ONE requires you to even acknowledge their existence with a 'No'

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
I don't mind telling someone no. While it can be annoying if they harass me after I have told them no, I like being able to say no, or yes, according to my own decision. I would hate to lose the ability to voice my decisions, or the opportunity to make any decision at all. I will gladly refuse a beggar's request. If they want an explanation; I may, or may not, reply depending on my mood. I do not want that decision taken out of my hands. I do not find voicing my decision to be a burden. If they continue to bother me after I refuse them: then they are a pest and the "onus," is upon them, not me.

I absolutely despise any attempt to further limit the vocabulary of filtered chat!
I hope it is possible to say, "Do not harass me." or possibly, "Please do not harass me." That would give the beggar the impression that my cursor is hovering over the report button, and they should try someone else.
Changing Gift, or other phrases containing gift, to yellow will only cause more difficulties when I talk to people who have filtered chat.

I find it impossible to communicate with a menu chat player, and I do not need the filtered chat players even more impaired than they already are.

If a beggar harasses you, and you can't place them on ignore for some reason, then report them for harassment. The chat log will show the GMs exactly what happened. There is no need to demand that Kings Isle limit everyone's ability to communicate simply because you have difficulty refusing, or ignoring, parasites who are beneath notice.

An "I do not gift" badge is perfectly acceptable. It applies only to the person wearing it, it doesn't have to be worn all the time, and it is easily understood. Quite frankly, I would have more respect for someone who wears such a badge. It would show that they are strong willed, that they value their own time.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Zebulous Newt on Feb 6, 2014 wrote:
I don't mind telling someone no. While it can be annoying if they harass me after I have told them no, I like being able to say no, or yes, according to my own decision. I would hate to lose the ability to voice my decisions, or the opportunity to make any decision at all. I will gladly refuse a beggar's request. If they want an explanation; I may, or may not, reply depending on my mood. I do not want that decision taken out of my hands. I do not find voicing my decision to be a burden. If they continue to bother me after I refuse them: then they are a pest and the "onus," is upon them, not me.

I absolutely despise any attempt to further limit the vocabulary of filtered chat!
I hope it is possible to say, "Do not harass me." or possibly, "Please do not harass me." That would give the beggar the impression that my cursor is hovering over the report button, and they should try someone else.
Changing Gift, or other phrases containing gift, to yellow will only cause more difficulties when I talk to people who have filtered chat.

I find it impossible to communicate with a menu chat player, and I do not need the filtered chat players even more impaired than they already are.

If a beggar harasses you, and you can't place them on ignore for some reason, then report them for harassment. The chat log will show the GMs exactly what happened. There is no need to demand that Kings Isle limit everyone's ability to communicate simply because you have difficulty refusing, or ignoring, parasites who are beneath notice.

An "I do not gift" badge is perfectly acceptable. It applies only to the person wearing it, it doesn't have to be worn all the time, and it is easily understood. Quite frankly, I would have more respect for someone who wears such a badge. It would show that they are strong willed, that they value their own time.
I don't mind telling someone no. But the fact is, as I mentioned in my original reply to the op, the onus should not be on us to stop this annoying (and incredibly inappropriate) behaviour.

How is banning the phrase "gift me" restrictive?

Gifting is not an in-game requirement, so it does not limit communication with others that is pertinent to the game. My suggestion would simply put an end to this plague that is people hanging around in the common areas for the sole purpose of scamming other players out of their hard-earned money.

No is no: I do not owe anyone an explanation, nor should I be forced to change realms/explain myself/otherwise go out of my way, for the sole purpose of allowing those people to continue harassing myself or others. I shouldn't have to tell someone no, or disable the setting altogether. I should be able to gift whoever I want, and not have to worry that someone might attempt to take advantage.

FYI: you can't report someone for harassment unless it involves a terms of use violation. In other words, they have to swear at or threaten you before you can report them, as begging alone is not against the terms of use.

KI needs to start putting the responsibility where it belongs. The end. You're all welcome.

-v.