Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Astral Spells

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 21, 2010
So, I just got to Celestia and I'm trying to decide on an astral school (I know I'm not high enough level yet). My friend who I always play with is mainsideandwith and he is completely against me being moon. I'm a main side (noticing a pattern?). I'm leaning towards star but, my friend thinks sun is the way to go. I've never really liked treasure cards which is way I think I should pick star. Any thoughts?

-Morgan Legendheart level 49, Celestia, The Survey Camp

Mastermind
Jul 04, 2010
most wizards go for sun for the damage spells aka colossal which you get in zafaria it adds damage to 1 spell

Defender
Jul 21, 2010
If colossal is the only reason to get sun (I hate treasure cards) then I'll get it as a treasure card and pick star.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Rainbow0839 on Oct 26, 2013 wrote:
If colossal is the only reason to get sun (I hate treasure cards) then I'll get it as a treasure card and pick star.
It's not the only reason, but it's a major reason. Another reason would be Sharpened Blade and Potent Trap. For free spells, they pack one hell of a punch

Survivor
Jul 08, 2010
Rainbow0839 on Oct 22, 2013 wrote:
So, I just got to Celestia and I'm trying to decide on an astral school (I know I'm not high enough level yet). My friend who I always play with is mainsideandwith and he is completely against me being moon. I'm a main side (noticing a pattern?). I'm leaning towards star but, my friend thinks sun is the way to go. I've never really liked treasure cards which is way I think I should pick star. Any thoughts?

I would train sun spells and get gargantuan, but I would also train one or two star spells (I like vengence, fortify, and empowerment). You should have enough training points to get sun and star spells. In addition, make sure to get Colossal when you reach Zafaria and make sure you train the Azteca sun and star spells. Have fun in Celestia.

Explorer
Oct 04, 2009
One may also notice no one has picked moon. Let me just say I started with moon and was the biggest waste ever. At the very least the first two moon spells give you no damage capabilities and are frankly a waste of deck space. Now perhaps the moon spells after the first two are better but quite frankly I was so disappointed with moon I didn't bother finding out. SO even if the later spells are good, one, why take the risk, two, sun and star, especially star, are going to be better even if moon is better later it still wont hold up to the other two astral schools. Over all if you are a player with powerful cards who needs to win with one hit, go for sun but if you need a continual boost for weaker attacks or defenses go for star, if you are ice which focuses on defense, sun is so important to make the attack cards you do have do more damage. Same with life

Defender
Jul 21, 2010
The Wise One on Nov 30, 2013 wrote:
One may also notice no one has picked moon. Let me just say I started with moon and was the biggest waste ever. At the very least the first two moon spells give you no damage capabilities and are frankly a waste of deck space. Now perhaps the moon spells after the first two are better but quite frankly I was so disappointed with moon I didn't bother finding out. SO even if the later spells are good, one, why take the risk, two, sun and star, especially star, are going to be better even if moon is better later it still wont hold up to the other two astral schools. Over all if you are a player with powerful cards who needs to win with one hit, go for sun but if you need a continual boost for weaker attacks or defenses go for star, if you are ice which focuses on defense, sun is so important to make the attack cards you do have do more damage. Same with life
Thanks that was exactly what I was looking for. I might do what others said and train a couple sun spells but, star definitely sounds better for me from what you wrote.

Thanks!

Survivor
Jan 14, 2011

Go ahead I saw some comments on moon man people said that they were bad! Go Star

Survivor
Aug 13, 2012

Well you could just over the time get all of them .
I started with moon for polymorph and now i am going to star for auras.

They are all very helpful.

-Rebecca Darkdust Level 54 Necromancer

Survivor
Jul 22, 2011
you should pick sun astral spell, if ya pick star then ,,, ya might mess up just like my death o. o but its your choice ya can pick star school only if ya use it CORRECTLY

~IridianEarthshade~

P.S i'm going to choose sun spell

Survivor
Nov 11, 2011
I think you should pick star. It helped me. I'm life and like said star helped me

Gorman lvl 58

Survivor
Jul 04, 2012
I can litterally debate ANYDAY that school is the way to go.
Sir train sun school it saves you a ton of time, deal big damage easily, and i don't know why but they just always pop out into your hand at those moments... and once you make it into zafaria train that one woah just woah.

The star school is also quite useful, if you can execute a good command. I wouldn't reccomend the first 2, just because they don't matter all that much, you got better gear it just overlaps that star layer. But vengeance and empowerment are quite nice and useful, unlike

the no-no school. Sure the gobbler might be okay to give you a health boost, but really that's it. The rest just waste your deck space and screw up your stats, i really don't recommend training this school unless you're my kind of guy lol.

Survivor
Nov 11, 2011
Rainbow0839 on Oct 26, 2013 wrote:
I agree

Survivor
Apr 09, 2012
If I chose an astral spell it would be the fist spells that boost your attack in the sun school
If you have more training points take the polymorphs (moon school).

Delver
Mar 07, 2012
I personally think that sun spells will be better. I have the aura for extra damage, and it has not been very useful to me. However, my gargantuan (Yes, I should go get colossal, but I'm just so lazy.) has been extremely useful. :)

~ Vanessa

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
A word about sun damage spells. They are great, but learned sun spells only seem to work on learned spell cards. I used to like using item card attacks from pets and amulets but found the sun damage spells won't cast on item cards. This makes learned spells so much more powerful that I have about given up on item attack cards.

Another word, for those who do not have them yet. Sun school spells do NOT use a turn to cast. You cast them on an attack spell while both are in your hand. Only after you have finished casting sun spells and discarding do you pick your main spell to cast for the turn. Its a bit subtle, but not taking a turn to cast makes sun damage spells quite powerful compared to things like blades that take a turn to cast.

Yet another word. You can only cast one sun spell on each attack spell card. So you can't stack two damage spells, such as strong and giant. You also can't stack a damage spell with an accuracy spell or a mutate. Since damage spells are so valuable, the one per spell limit seriously limits the value of the accuracy and mutate spell lines.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Choose both star and sun, maybe a polymorph or two if you think it'll come in handy. You aren't restricted to one Astral school.

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
Life is a terrible secondary school for balance. Life is mostly about healing, and balance has perfectly adequate healing spells in helping hands and availing hands. Once you start getting a decent power pip percentage, trying to heal with life spells will give poor results compared to helping/availing hands, because the balance spells take advantage of power pips but the life spells don't.

The most useful non-school spell for balance is feint, and every balance wizard should train death to feint as a matter of course. The sun school damage enhancers are also useful, especially when casting attack all spells such as sandstorm or power nova. Everything else is pretty optional.

Defender
Jun 13, 2012
The sun school may be best for you. Imagine your judgement card. Now imagine it being max powerpip and an added seventy to two hundred damage with balance blade and hex. He, he, you will be max level in no time. You may be a Warlord, if you like pvp. You will be.

Defender
Jul 21, 2010
DanTheTerrible on Mar 12, 2014 wrote:
Life is a terrible secondary school for balance. Life is mostly about healing, and balance has perfectly adequate healing spells in helping hands and availing hands. Once you start getting a decent power pip percentage, trying to heal with life spells will give poor results compared to helping/availing hands, because the balance spells take advantage of power pips but the life spells don't.

The most useful non-school spell for balance is feint, and every balance wizard should train death to feint as a matter of course. The sun school damage enhancers are also useful, especially when casting attack all spells such as sandstorm or power nova. Everything else is pretty optional.
Where were you 4 years ago when my brother made me pick life? (So I would be just like him.) I have another wizard that is death. (secondary storm which is terrible) I absolutely love the spells that school can cast. It fits my playing style perfectly.