Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

anti solo game

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
it seems like KI has been trying harder and harder to "weed out" the solo players. they throw 4 mobs each with over 5,000 health at you and many bosses have close to 20,000 health. it's not harder with the high health, it just makes it take a potentially long time depending on your class, gear, and skills. without a little buddy it's impossible without wasting a century of your life and giving up your life savings for crowns. its not fun anymore it just gives me a headache and stresses me out. i wanted a solo friendly game, which is possible to pull off with the competitive, skilled gamer part; and the family oriented part. if KI does not intend to run a solo friendly game, i may just have to look elsewhere

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Emperor of Life on Oct 8, 2013 wrote:
it seems like KI has been trying harder and harder to "weed out" the solo players. they throw 4 mobs each with over 5,000 health at you and many bosses have close to 20,000 health. it's not harder with the high health, it just makes it take a potentially long time depending on your class, gear, and skills. without a little buddy it's impossible without wasting a century of your life and giving up your life savings for crowns. its not fun anymore it just gives me a headache and stresses me out. i wanted a solo friendly game, which is possible to pull off with the competitive, skilled gamer part; and the family oriented part. if KI does not intend to run a solo friendly game, i may just have to look elsewhere
I can relate to this.

I started off as a solo player, and am slowly becoming one again... Not by choice, but because most of my good friends have moved onto other games and left me all by my little wizard self.

Don't get me wrong. My wizards are machines, and they can take on mostly everything, with or without crowns... except those cheat dungeons where the cheat requires that you have at least one other person with you to avoid triggering it (helephant tower, ponce de gibbon, etc).

I get that it's an MMO. I get that group play is recommended, but I agree with the OP that it should never be forced on us.

-v.
promethean and
archmage of awesomeness
(stuck in ponce de gibbon's ship,currently)

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Emperor of Life on Oct 8, 2013 wrote:
The game is not meant to be soloed, however, I have been able to solo for the most part through Celestia and most of Zafaria. I doubt I'll go much farther anyway; and for just the reason you stated.

No, I don't mind playing with others, however all my high level friends are gone and I am here at "off" times due to work and life.

Some of us really have no choice but to solo, and we are at a huge disadvantage after a certain level.

Defender
May 23, 2009
I don't understand what the problem is. If it's not harder (just takes a long time) but you are still able to defeat them by yourself, then it is still soloable. Are you expecting for the game to get easier as your wizards progress? I hope not. KI has always been fair. If your friends are not available, KI created henchmen. Hiring level 40 henchmen is even strong enough to help you defeat bosses in Azteca (only cost 40 crowns). You don't need friends or questing buddies to get to max level, anyway. I trust my wizards that they put their best effort in battles. They have never disappoint me. Though my most rewarding is my myth.
I find myth is the best class to solo. I was excited when KI released the new minions in August because it would make myth more easier to solo than it already is. Vassanji is more than a minion when using myth minion spells from Tish'mah.

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
I know how you feel and not only is the game anti solo it's very hard to properly team up for a dungeon unless it's new like mount olympus and everyone wants to play it infact people jump on and off the sigil so often I now call it a dance the sigil shuffle LOL

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
My balance wizard soloed the game through Avalon, and even parts of Azteca; it was tough for her in parts, but she made it. And my necromancer completed most of Azteca by himself, without issue... He's in Twin Giants at the moment, and I think he called a friend for help once.

Even my Storm wizard made it through the bulk of Avalon solo before she ran into trouble midway through Azteca~ she has super-high block and the best gear available, but nowhere near the stats required to survive those 4-on-1 mob fights and nonstop criticals. At this point, she probably won't get her Storm Owl, and definitely won't make it to the end of Azteca.

It's already obvious that KI is weeding out the family-fun set... but giving Ice even more unneeded resist and block while the rest of us (especially Storm and Balance) languish in neglected obscurity is not cool.

-v.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
The game is somewhat anti-solo however there's one part that makes you wish you had other players with you. The school quests. For anyone who isn't used to going on their own(like me), these quests, while incredibly rewarding, are also incredibly painful

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Yep, I totally agree with you.

I think we should be leveling up on a par with our opponents, not falling behind them in pips, spell strength, etc..

I enjoyed the group play with friends, but like Dr. Von, most of my friends are gone now.

So much of the time now I wind up playing solo. And when the length of battles gets too long, it is not fun to play solo.

I guess, really, I did not mind that until I reached Azteca. Even Zafaria and Avalon were still mostly fun whether solo or with friends -- though my friends were around for both of those worlds still. But once Pirates came on, many people left. And Azteca is like running a super-long dungeon -- even the street battles take too long to complete. So it is hard to log on for just a little while to play some relaxing and fun Wizard101.

My solution is just not to go to Azteca much anymore, and to play my lower level wizards. But it seems to me that should not have to be the solution. Instead, we should level proportionate to our opponents, so the relative time commitment of a battle or a quest remains the same, and quests can be done either solo or with friends.

Actually, if the game were less demanding, I suspect there would be more friends to play with anyway!

As far as the person (TGP Miserie) who suggests we buy henchmen -- we should not have to resort to that! I have done it at times, but I'm usually just darn mad by the time I have to do that. We already pay KI our subscription. We should not have to buy help as well. and many players don't have crowns to spend -- should they just be left on the curb?

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
I agree. I actually prefer to solo and always have. My friends list used to be full, now, not so much and it is mainly people who want my help but don't have time to help me, I don't beg. I have been helping family though the game and since they really can't play well it's rough in higher worlds. I have to advise on every fight so it's like I am playing 3 wizards instead of one. I stopped at level cap just for a break from it and the longer the break the less I want to return. They were the ones who wanted to go past Zafaria not me. I am a very soft core type player, stress free and easy are what I play a game for. I don't need challenge from a game I have enough of that irl.

Truth be known I believe there are a lot more solo players then you think running around the spiral. Not all of them choice. Many must just give it up because of lack of help, proper gear, how to use spells, etc. I have found Avalon to be the stopper if Celestia didn't take them out. I usually can weather it though the end of Zafaria but that is it for me. I waited for help with Water Works, BriskBreeze Tower and MarleyBone Warehouse, it's not fun at all to wait to be able to play a game and I no longer take those instances.

What happens here is the wizards with "friends" say just ask a friend to help. The wizards with "crowns" just say buy henchmen. If you have neither then what? Really one size does not fit all in this game. It starts out one thing and ends up another so what if you can't compensate for that?

On a side note: random help at an instance can some times be worse then just trying to fair it on your own. I would much rather be the helper then the helpee any day.

Mary StarGem

Survivor
Aug 07, 2013
If anyone ever needs help with a dungeon or anything I'm always happy to help. Let me know and we can meet and I can add you.

Transcendent and PVP Warlord

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
FinnAgainWindrider: I think we should be leveling up on a par with our opponents, not falling behind them in pips, spell strength, etc..

The problem is, the overpowering is how KI sees it as being fair. The fact that they use two different systems for levels just makes it confusing. What level is a Rank 12 boss? If we were to equate it to our levels? You can't, because they have a ton more health, are totally immune to some spells (stun comes to mind), etc. I think if the monsters used the same leveling system that we did, it would be more fairly matched (notice I didn't say it would be easy). I've said it before that finesse can beat brute force, and that monsters are nothing but brute force. Others have stated that it is starting to change, and Loremaster is a perfect example, but even that is still brute force. I can solo it with no problem, but it's much more about overwhelming a player vs making it a challenge.

All of that being said, I'm still having fun, and enjoying the game. I've stopped questing atm while Im waiting for help (that will come) and farming loremaster for the spell I want (which could take a long time lol)

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
dayerider on Oct 9, 2013 wrote:
FinnAgainWindrider: I think we should be leveling up on a par with our opponents, not falling behind them in pips, spell strength, etc..

The problem is, the overpowering is how KI sees it as being fair. The fact that they use two different systems for levels just makes it confusing. What level is a Rank 12 boss? If we were to equate it to our levels? You can't, because they have a ton more health, are totally immune to some spells (stun comes to mind), etc. I think if the monsters used the same leveling system that we did, it would be more fairly matched (notice I didn't say it would be easy). I've said it before that finesse can beat brute force, and that monsters are nothing but brute force. Others have stated that it is starting to change, and Loremaster is a perfect example, but even that is still brute force. I can solo it with no problem, but it's much more about overwhelming a player vs making it a challenge.

All of that being said, I'm still having fun, and enjoying the game. I've stopped questing atm while Im waiting for help (that will come) and farming loremaster for the spell I want (which could take a long time lol)
imagine the money to change all mobs and bosses strength and subtitles and imagine how if solo is easy then imagine how fast teamwork would beat the whole game

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
critical blizzard on Oct 10, 2013 wrote:
imagine the money to change all mobs and bosses strength and subtitles and imagine how if solo is easy then imagine how fast teamwork would beat the whole game
oh, Im not saying it would be easy or cheap, but I think that from this point forward, with new worlds, they could start anew. Going back and editing all previous content would just stink. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about dumbing down the game, I'm talking about utilizing the same scales for both PCs and NPCs.

Survivor
Aug 19, 2010
I'd like to add my voice to the request for some solo player balancing. I've always been a solo player (even in the cheat towers - I just wait until I'm a much higher level to do them). I don't mind buying henchmen for tougher boss battles, but having to buy them for mobs is ridiculous (and expensive.) Giving us an extra power pip at the start of battles and making some of the bosses critical-able would be great places to start. Again, this could start with new content rather than having the expense of redoing existing worlds. Some better gear would be nice too. Most of the level 80 stuff seems to be missing either block or pierce stats. Without those, solo players get wiped out pretty quickly. (I've died on the first round in battles where I go last. Not fun!) I'd also like to vote for some more spells. Let's also get more than one spell per 10 levels please. Maybe some 5-7 pip spells. With things like the star school spells and critical, these spells are still useful. Thanks!

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
critical blizzard on Oct 10, 2013 wrote:
Actually, you don't need to do anything to the mobs and bosses. All you have to do in increase the player stats so they are on more of a par with the mobs and bosses.

For instance, If we started out with 4 power pips like the opponents do, right there a lot has been done to restore balance.

Also, if our critical spells actually worked as critical spells, instead of being negated by the opponent block critical, again, that would restore balance. That could be done either by going back and nerfing the mobs and bosses (a lot of money and time), or by adding an element to our spell casting that gave us a higher chance of piercing their block critical. Maybe a new star school spell that lasted four rounds would be enough.

Finally, our own stats could be supported by making our equipment boost us more.

I am thinking of the kind of play we had in Wintertusk. I don't think WT was easy -- it took some strategy, luck, and sometimes friends to win. But the level of challenge was manageable, and not so unbearably time-consuming. And the equipment was very worthwhile, both to craft and to buy. So, for most of it, a player could go solo, and still have a great time doing it. That is the kind of balance that I think works in this game.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
FinnAgainWindrider

For instance, If we started out with 4 power pips like the opponents do, right there a lot has been done to restore balance.

I am thinking of the kind of play we had in Wintertusk. I don't think WT was easy -- it took some strategy, luck, and sometimes friends to win. But the level of challenge was manageable, and not so unbearably time-consuming. And the equipment was very worthwhile, both to craft and to buy. So, for most of it, a player could go solo, and still have a great time doing it. That is the kind of balance that I think works in this game.

completely agree with this.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
dayerider on Oct 10, 2013 wrote:
oh, Im not saying it would be easy or cheap, but I think that from this point forward, with new worlds, they could start anew. Going back and editing all previous content would just stink. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about dumbing down the game, I'm talking about utilizing the same scales for both PCs and NPCs.
can you tell me what npc and cpu mean?

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
critical blizzard on Oct 13, 2013 wrote:
can you tell me what npc and cpu mean?
PC = Player Character (your wizards)
NPC = Non Player Character (all the monsters)

Survivor
Jun 09, 2013
Hi

As much as I agree with you, wizard101 is not a game meant for playing alone. That's why there is a friends list and sigils before you enter dungeons. It's your choice to play the game or world or area alone. Though I soloed much of Azteca I couldn't have done it without some help from many of my friends. Kingsisle has created a game that is meant to make friendships and meet up with people you know. If you decide to play solo then there are many options: buy gear, buy henchmen, by elixirs, develop a good strategy, that's what they are there for, wether you decide to use them is your choice. Please don't take this as the wrong way, I am simply expressing my opinion and showing you that now everyone feels that way.

Promethean

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
MasterSorcerer653 on Oct 14, 2013 wrote:
Hi

As much as I agree with you, wizard101 is not a game meant for playing alone. That's why there is a friends list and sigils before you enter dungeons. It's your choice to play the game or world or area alone. Though I soloed much of Azteca I couldn't have done it without some help from many of my friends. Kingsisle has created a game that is meant to make friendships and meet up with people you know. If you decide to play solo then there are many options: buy gear, buy henchmen, by elixirs, develop a good strategy, that's what they are there for, wether you decide to use them is your choice. Please don't take this as the wrong way, I am simply expressing my opinion and showing you that now everyone feels that way.

Promethean
and i repeat

"What happens here is the wizards with "friends" say just ask a friend to help. The wizards with "crowns" just say buy henchmen. If you have neither then what? Really one size does not fit all in this game. It starts out one thing and ends up another so what if you can't compensate for that?"

Survivor
Jul 14, 2013
Wintertusk was a fun place, and the equipment there is better than almost everything else. I'm at level 85, and I'm still using the Dire Chieftan's Helm, Chief's Garb of Blight, and Black Spinel of Battle by the start of Azteca, and I have had few problems so far. It may take a little longer than in Avalon, but I don't mind all that much. The biggest annoyances I've had are when I need to find a death prism and one is not forthcoming. Still, there are things KI could do to help out the solo players even more, but not increase our stats to match the monsters. All the extra power pips at start means is that they might get off an extra hard hit or two at the beginning. They have no damage boost like we do, which makes them relatively easy if you have enough critical blocking. Anyway, this is what I think they could do to help:

1. Provide better equipment starting at around Zafaria. I've noticed the items there and later on may have good stats in one area, but at the cost of something else. For instance, you might have something with a high critical rate, but no blocking, damage, and resistance to only one element. Or high damage, but no resistance, blocking, or extra pip chance. Or high resistance to one or two elements and maybe even a bit of accuracy, but little else. The Wintertusk (and Waterworks) items seem to have everything you need, even some extra energy, which is why so many people use it even up to the end.

2. Allow conviction to be trained without having to pvp for it, because there are some people that either don't want to pvp at all, or are so bad at it that they cannot hope to train for the spell because their ranks are in the double digits.

3. The biggest problem starting around Zafaria onward is the stunning, and even chain stunning, and the only equipment that can reliably resist that without the need of a spell is pvp only? There needs to be some stun resist for normal items, maybe with amounts on par with normal resistances.

Survivor
Jul 14, 2013
4. Another major problem are the 4 to 1 fights. The 3 to 1 fights may be tough, but the 4 to 1s are simply impossible (with exceptions like Loremaster, Astraeus, or Rags O'Leary, where there's only one real hard hitter).

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
Northlite on Oct 14, 2013 wrote:
and i repeat

"What happens here is the wizards with "friends" say just ask a friend to help. The wizards with "crowns" just say buy henchmen. If you have neither then what? Really one size does not fit all in this game. It starts out one thing and ends up another so what if you can't compensate for that?"
Maybe you need to invest some time in cultivating some friends. Hang around and offer to help people, or see someone fighting alone and ask to join their fight. Then get conversations going and get to know some great new folk. Some will be rude duds but I bet, if you tried, you will find some great new friends out there who will be thrilled to know you.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Happy Fun Ball on Oct 15, 2013 wrote:
Wintertusk was a fun place, and the equipment there is better than almost everything else. I'm at level 85, and I'm still using the Dire Chieftan's Helm, Chief's Garb of Blight, and Black Spinel of Battle by the start of Azteca, and I have had few problems so far. It may take a little longer than in Avalon, but I don't mind all that much. The biggest annoyances I've had are when I need to find a death prism and one is not forthcoming. Still, there are things KI could do to help out the solo players even more, but not increase our stats to match the monsters. All the extra power pips at start means is that they might get off an extra hard hit or two at the beginning. They have no damage boost like we do, which makes them relatively easy if you have enough critical blocking. Anyway, this is what I think they could do to help:

1. Provide better equipment starting at around Zafaria. I've noticed the items there and later on may have good stats in one area, but at the cost of something else. For instance, you might have something with a high critical rate, but no blocking, damage, and resistance to only one element. Or high damage, but no resistance, blocking, or extra pip chance. Or high resistance to one or two elements and maybe even a bit of accuracy, but little else. The Wintertusk (and Waterworks) items seem to have everything you need, even some extra energy, which is why so many people use it even up to the end.

2. Allow conviction to be trained without having to pvp for it, because there are some people that either don't want to pvp at all, or are so bad at it that they cannot hope to train for the spell because their ranks are in the double digits.

3. The biggest problem starting around Zafaria onward is the stunning, and even chain stunning, and the only equipment that can reliably resist that without the need of a spell is pvp only? There needs to be some stun resist for normal items, maybe with amounts on par with normal resistances.
Wow! This is one of the best reasoned approaches I have seen yet. I totally agree with you! Especially about the "conviction" point. But giving us proper equipment, proper spells to counter the opponents' blocks, proper stun resist, and also more pips to start, would return the game to an enjoyable level.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Oct 15, 2013 wrote:
Maybe you need to invest some time in cultivating some friends. Hang around and offer to help people, or see someone fighting alone and ask to join their fight. Then get conversations going and get to know some great new folk. Some will be rude duds but I bet, if you tried, you will find some great new friends out there who will be thrilled to know you.
Chrissy, I normally love what you have to say. I've seen your comments all over the boards, and I generally appreciate your input a lot. I know your intent with this remark is positive, and I appreciate that intent. However, this time, your comment seems a bit patronizing.

Northlite has been around the game and the comment boards for a long time too. I have been around for a while myself. I think what she has said earlier is that she had a lot of friends, but most of them no longer play. I have the same experience. I made a lot of friends with my first wizard, and spent a lot of time building those game relationships. Now most of those friends are gone, or only show up once in a rare while. When I do connect with my old friends, it is mostly just to check in with each other and chat a while. We are in different places questing in the game, and often our time schedules no longer overlap as much. I have made some new friends since then, with my old wizard, and with new ones, but honestly, it just is not the same.

For one thing, keeping good friends in the game also means playing the game a lot, often daily or close to it. Otherwise, friends move on and pass my level, and the imbalance can make help with questing not as fun. Not all of us have that kind of time. When I first opened my account, I was in a life transition and had a lot of time to play. Now, I am busier in real life, and don't have as many long blocks of time to play.

As a result, I now often find I can only play solo. I may run into someone and quest together for a while, and we "friend" each other -- but by the time I have a chance to get on and play again, that person is long gone.

So it is not that I don't know how to make friends in the game, and I suspect that the same is true for Northlite. Rather, not all of us have the luxury of regular extended play that is so helpful to making in-game friendships work. When I can play with friends, I usually enjoy that a lot. But I don't think that I or anyone else should be penalized if the friend option is not always practical.

So the game can be made to be "friendly", but it should be friendly for people who choose to play solo, as well as those who choose to play with others, without penalizing either type of player.