Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are We Done Complaining?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Nov 29, 2012
I know this is going to seem rude and I am really not trying to be at all, but I really think this needs to be said. Are we done complaining about PvP problems yet? I personally think that this little part of the game is digging a grave for almost everything else.

One of the main reasons I decided to write this is due to the reshuffle update. I think it was about 90% of wizards in the test realm said that they didn't want this update. Why did KI follow through with it? I'm guessing PvP (forgive me if I'm wrong there).

All I ever see when I go on to the message boards is something like," Balance is too overpowered." What I see there is," So and so has a better strategy than me, can you ban this spell so I can become a warlord?" I just don't get what this game has come to. This one little part of the game, PvP, is digging the whole game's grave.

It's not really PvP at all either. It's really the player base. I remember back in the Dragonspyre days when it seemed like nothing was wrong and PvP was just this little thing that you did when you completed the quests. Now, It's more of this massive part of the game that everyone loves to play but also hates it? Why?

So, what I'm trying to say is can we stop complaining about this little part of the game. Complaining about it only make matters worse in my opinion. Sorry if this has wasted your time or you think I came across as rude. I personally will never give up on this wonderful game, but I would love to have my time playing this game to be a good memory.

Delver
Jun 17, 2012
I agree with you Cole. I don't play much PvP but I do think it has become more of a focus of this game then it should be. Also, if this game is supposed to promote friendship and teamwork, well.... PvP is not helping that either. If anything, it seems to be causing more problems then harmony in the spiral. This is a GAME. A very fun GAME. People seem to forget that it is supposed to be FUN. Anyway, your post was well spoken and I enjoyed reading it. Perhaps some of the "hardcore" PvPr's out there will enlighten you as to why it has become a world of its own within W101. "Why so serious????"

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Players invest a lot of time and resources into developing their characters and will complain loudly and incessantly if the rewards do not meet their expectations. This is human nature.

I can't begin to tell you how many players I've heard say that questing is boring and worthless, and that the only reason they bother with the game any more is PVP, because it's the only real challenge anymore. They complain that boss AI is silly, that the brute force approach to increasing mob difficulty just turns an ordinary quest into a burdensome grind. Some of these complaints are reasonable.

After four years, more and more players are going to be finishing the quest lines and moving into PVP as a way to stay active and seek new challenges. The complaining is only going to get louder.

I personally like PVP but I can see some fundamental difficulties with balancing PVP in a vacuum. Presumably KI had tracked player match data and had identified problems with Reshuffle that supported player complaints. Yet the change applies to PVE as well, which places players at a strategic disadvantage when facing the bloated, oversized bosses of the later worlds. Instead of being able to field a tightly focused, modest deck with a couple reshuffle options, a player needs a bloated, oversized deck.

Similarly, gear and spell balancing between PVP and PVE is another sore spot. Whether PVP should have access to certain types of gear, or whether PVP needs a separate item shop, are open to dispute. Pets and mc healing are another bone of contention.

Since you can't please everyone all the time, any measures KI takes to fix PVP will draw some enemies, and some nonzero number of people will stop paying. Whatever changes come need to be based on very solid data and not simply on popular demand.

Survivor
Apr 01, 2009
CPS Cole on Jun 7, 2013 wrote:
I know this is going to seem rude and I am really not trying to be at all, but I really think this needs to be said. Are we done complaining about PvP problems yet? I personally think that this little part of the game is digging a grave for almost everything else.

One of the main reasons I decided to write this is due to the reshuffle update. I think it was about 90% of wizards in the test realm said that they didn't want this update. Why did KI follow through with it? I'm guessing PvP (forgive me if I'm wrong there).

All I ever see when I go on to the message boards is something like," Balance is too overpowered." What I see there is," So and so has a better strategy than me, can you ban this spell so I can become a warlord?" I just don't get what this game has come to. This one little part of the game, PvP, is digging the whole game's grave.

It's not really PvP at all either. It's really the player base. I remember back in the Dragonspyre days when it seemed like nothing was wrong and PvP was just this little thing that you did when you completed the quests. Now, It's more of this massive part of the game that everyone loves to play but also hates it? Why?

So, what I'm trying to say is can we stop complaining about this little part of the game. Complaining about it only make matters worse in my opinion. Sorry if this has wasted your time or you think I came across as rude. I personally will never give up on this wonderful game, but I would love to have my time playing this game to be a good memory.
You have this completely wrong. The testing of the last update was done primarily by the PvP community, since the PvP folks were needed to test the match making changes. The PvP community was very outspoken AGAINST the reshuffle change. Both communities (PvE and PvE) generally agree in this matter - the reshuffle change was unhelpful at best.

Any "balance is overpowered" claim is 2+ years old, if you are into the PvP conversation.

If you only quest in W101, then I would not bother reading or commenting in the PvP section.

Explorer
Nov 29, 2012
DerHundErste on Jun 9, 2013 wrote:
You have this completely wrong. The testing of the last update was done primarily by the PvP community, since the PvP folks were needed to test the match making changes. The PvP community was very outspoken AGAINST the reshuffle change. Both communities (PvE and PvE) generally agree in this matter - the reshuffle change was unhelpful at best.

Any "balance is overpowered" claim is 2+ years old, if you are into the PvP conversation.

If you only quest in W101, then I would not bother reading or commenting in the PvP section.
Ok, I have some stuff to say about this reply. I never said anything about PvE not wanting the update. So, with that said, when I put 90% of wizards didn't want this update, that means EVERYONE.

The "balance is too overpowered" claim was just the first thing that popped into my head. So, I typed it in. Now, I never said I don't PvP. Don't tell me what I can't post in.

Survivor
Oct 23, 2010
CPS Cole on Jun 7, 2013 wrote:

Cole You are a nice guy but even though you posted this thing right here things are still worse even if you say are we done complaining? you know what i think is the key? Patience Patience, is the key to unlocking friendship and trust good or bad just be brave enough to stand up for yourself and Pvp them for justice. : Ryan Promethean Sorcerer

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
CPS Cole on Jun 10, 2013 wrote:
Ok, I have some stuff to say about this reply. I never said anything about PvE not wanting the update. So, with that said, when I put 90% of wizards didn't want this update, that means EVERYONE.

The "balance is too overpowered" claim was just the first thing that popped into my head. So, I typed it in. Now, I never said I don't PvP. Don't tell me what I can't post in.
There will always be complaints/opinions posted by players. If it were not KI's intention for players to be able to post feedback, then there would be no message boards for this reason. What KI does with the feedback is out of our control.

As for the "Reshuffle" issue, it was never intended for that spell to be used multiple times from just one card. 90% of the wizards that tested this in the Test Realm, unfortunately, does not cover 90% of the wizarding community. There could very well be just as many players that don't care either way about this change and I just happen to be one of them. All spells were designed for a single use. KI fixed a glitch. Not the first time and certainly won't be the last. Some we don't like, others we do.

Whether a player is questing or PvPing, it all revolves around strategy. Using a glitch is a form of cheating.

Look at the changes to the gardening and taking away all our permanent Pixies. Did we like that change? NO But in reality, it was a glitch not intended.

So complaints/opinions will always be here regardless of whether it is PvP or PvE or some other aspect of the game.