Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Question for Fire Wizards

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
Hello Everyone, especially FIRE Wizards.

Do you remember when FIRE got the STEAL CHARM spell, and STORM got the DISARM spell?

Steal Charm would steal one blade for one (1) pip.
Disarm would destroy one blade for one (1) pip.

Then, back at the Kings Isle update desk, STORM gets an enhanced DISARM called ENFEEBLE – destroys all blades for three (3) pips

Every FIRE was waiting for an enhanced STEAL CHARM: Steal All Blades for Three (3) pips. But it never came. And it should have come at the same time Enfeeble came.

Kings Isle. Please consider an enhanced STEAL CHARM. You did it for STORM’S disarm, why not FIRE? Steal all Blades for three (3) pips. You can call it “Power-Steal-Charm”. FIRE needs something because all the updates since Water-Works have proven to be pretty poor for FIRE.

FIRE has been short-changed on poorly conceived spells and poor updates since Water-Works:

· Detonate has no value for the pip cost. I don’t know any FIRES that would use 4 pips to explode any of the overtimes. Way too expensive in pip cost. If you use Heck Hound, you need two full rounds of power pips to cast detonate. Heck HOund is already on it's last round, so why waste 4 more pips on detonate? A spell that probably looked good around the brainstorming session, but in actual practice has no value.

· Backdraft has little to no value with the loss of all the pips. Hard to recover from using it in PVP . For example, you do a full pip Backdraft, and now you're out of pips to cast a spell. As you wait round after round to build up PIPS for Helephant or Efreet, or Phoenix, you're opponent has multiple rounds to sheild, attack, or find Cleanse Ward and the remove Backdraft spell for Zero pips. Backdraft was not thought out all the way. Very poor spell for FIRE.

· Firestarter Gear is the best gear for FIRE. And that was 30 levels ago. That needs repeating. The Best FIRE Gear came out at level 60, and that was 30 levels ago. Using crafted gear comes at a HUGE resistance cost. Again, no real value.

Any FIRE Wizards agree?

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
Simple Sorcery on May 5, 2013 wrote:

Do you remember when FIRE got the STEAL CHARM spell, and STORM got the DISARM spell?

Then, back at the Kings Isle update desk, STORM gets an enhanced DISARM called ENFEEBLE – destroys all blades for three (3) pips

Every FIRE was waiting for an enhanced STEAL CHARM: Steal All Blades for Three (3) pips. But it never came. And it should have come at the same time Enfeeble came.

Kings Isle. Please consider an enhanced STEAL CHARM. You did it for STORM’S disarm, why not FIRE? Steal all Blades for three (3) pips. You can call it “Power-Steal-Charm”. FIRE needs something because all the updates since Water-Works have proven to be pretty poor for FIRE.

FIRE has been short-changed on poorly conceived spells and poor updates since Water-Works:

· Detonate has no value for the pip cost. I don’t know any FIRES that would use 4 pips to explode any of the overtimes. Way too expensive in pip cost. If you use Heck Hound, you need two full rounds of power pips to cast detonate. Heck HOund is already on it's last round, so why waste 4 more pips on detonate? A spell that probably looked good around the brainstorming session, but in actual practice has no value.

· Backdraft has little to no value with the loss of all the pips. Hard to recover from using it in PVP . For example, you do a full pip Backdraft, and now you're out of pips to cast a spell. As you wait round after round to build up PIPS for Helephant or Efreet, or Phoenix, you're opponent has multiple rounds to sheild, attack, or find Cleanse Ward and the remove Backdraft spell for Zero pips. Backdraft was not thought out all the way. Very poor spell for FIRE.

· Firestarter Gear is the best gear for FIRE. And that was 30 levels ago. That needs repeating. The Best FIRE Gear came out at level 60, and that was 30 levels ago. Using crafted gear comes at a HUGE resistance cost. Again, no real value.

Any FIRE Wizards agree?
I agree we need better gear and detonate just doesn't make any sense at all to me unless your in pvp and your going first and you got rain on your opponent and he is about to kill you and you have 4 pips left over and you use it and he is dead, that's a lot of and's/if's if I say so myself. I actually find backdraft useful for bosses at least once I have killed the minion and have healed up(however I will rue the day they start using spells to kill our traps if that ever comes around). I don't really use steal charm so I don't really have any opinion on that one.

Explorer
Jun 26, 2012
I have NEVER used steal charm, disarm, or enfeeble. I don't PVP. Backdraft is great for PVE. I do agree we need another waterworks themed dungeon at level 100 maybe. Never used Detonate, only got it for backdraft.
Enough said, i half agree half disagree.

-Sean Firesword Level 90 Fire "One in a Million"
-Sean Stormsword Level 65 Storm
-Sean Mythsword Level 16 Myth "Wizard City Protector"

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
These are great comments.

I haven't used backdraft in PvE and can see how useful it would be in PvE.

However, my post is related to PVP. Backdraft doesn't have real value in PVP. Detonate also has little value in PVP.

Almost all Fire Wizards I talk with are disappointed in backdraft and detonate in PVP. They might work with PvE, but they don't have much value when PVPing.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
The thing is ....... this game is about PvE, that is the main focus. The game does not revolve around PvP.

Fire isn't the only school that feels cheated in spells. The game should be asking "what is good in PvE", and the PvP'ers need to work with what they have.

I know I do.

Defender
Dec 16, 2009

Any FIRE Wizards agree?
I admit, Steal Charm and Disarm are not smart. Disarm should have been 0 pips while Steal Charm 1. However, do you realize that stealing and removing are two completely different things? Also, does Myth receive a steal version of Shatter? I do not believe so. I have never in my life within the past 2 years seen a Fire wizard use Steal Charm, so why would you need a spell that steals all the charms? If you think stealing and removing are the same, you are 100% incorrect. You might want to rethink this.

It is not a fact that Firestarter gear is the best, but others might not. You might only think that Firestarter set has the best resist, but you can craft a robe that does not sacrifice your resist. Avalon crafting robe gives 12%, which isn't sacrificing. Azteca crafting robe even gives 13% instead of 12%. Is going from 12 to 13 called sacrificing, or gaining? Your damage in Azteca stays the same compared to the WW robe, and you only lose 1% from the Avalon robe. You are also gaining health. Compared to WW's 340HP robe, you receive 415HP from Avalon's craft robe and 430HP from Azteca's craft robe.

Gear choice can solve problems, and plus you can craft an amulet that gives a 35% Dragonblade and an item card Disarm for only two pips, instead of the three when trained/gotten from a quest.

Survivor
Apr 07, 2013
listen i kind off agree with what your saying about clothes, but if you got a steal all charms thats to overpowered, you'd have multiple school blades at your disposal, so i for one am glad they didnt do that, if anything they should only raise it to 2 blades to steal, not one, or all. and out :D

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Who uses Waterworks gear anymore, first of all. Fire has gotten excellent gear.
He has:
Firestarter Hood/Knightly Helm (Depends if I feel aggressive or defense)
Guard of the Sun Fire Armor (Firestarter stinks compared to this - Critical increase, health increase, resist increase, what's not to love?)
Firestarter Boots for world's below Azteca. For above: (So they are good until 80 IMO) Jade Boots (90+ preferably), Pyro's Bright Walkers (Insane damage), or Cold House Chac Boots. (Insane block) Two cost crowns, but Cold House Chac Boots don't.

As for the spells; if it does come, it should cost 6 pips, not 3. Why? You're stealing all the blades and they are all being put on you. That's amazing IMO. I use steal charm only in PvP, and rarely.

Overall; I think Fire has been amazingly lucky so far, and yes, my main wizard is a level 90 Fire.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
Rony The Turtle on May 11, 2013 wrote:
Who uses Waterworks gear anymore, first of all. Fire has gotten excellent gear.
He has:
Firestarter Hood/Knightly Helm (Depends if I feel aggressive or defense)
Guard of the Sun Fire Armor (Firestarter stinks compared to this - Critical increase, health increase, resist increase, what's not to love?)
Firestarter Boots for world's below Azteca. For above: (So they are good until 80 IMO) Jade Boots (90+ preferably), Pyro's Bright Walkers (Insane damage), or Cold House Chac Boots. (Insane block) Two cost crowns, but Cold House Chac Boots don't.

As for the spells; if it does come, it should cost 6 pips, not 3. Why? You're stealing all the blades and they are all being put on you. That's amazing IMO. I use steal charm only in PvP, and rarely.

Overall; I think Fire has been amazingly lucky so far, and yes, my main wizard is a level 90 Fire.
considering neither the knightly helm nor the pyro bright boots give universal resist ill stick with what I have and btw I still use ww gear lol. considering that I have been getting can not load game message for about a month now I forgot why I never took the time to get all the turquoise for the guard of the sun fire armor but I will look into it again as soon as I can.

Defender
Jul 10, 2011

Any FIRE Wizards agree?
  • I agree about detonate and backdraft, but think about storm's supercharge. It's worse than backdraft since it only does +10% damage boost for one pip, while backdraft does +20% damage boost. Detonate uses four pips just to destroy a d.o.t. early. No point in that spell, really.
  • Fire needs better armor piercing gear. An ice is almost invincible against fire, even if you have infallible, fire spear, and elemental spear. I've faced 8 ice wizards in p.v.p today, and their average resist was 83% to fire. Also, I agree with heelyman on the waterworks and crafted gear. First, legendary artisan is way too hard to get, and the crafted gear requires legendary artisan. Second, We need a level 90 or at least 80 gear, and it has to be better than the waterworks gear.
  • I think a "power steal charm" would be a little o.p. to be 3 pips. maybe fifth pips at least, since you're taking all your opponent's blades.
  • Last, efreet boss for fire is way to hard to be a level 58 boss. The rain of fire boss was about 30x easier than sothmekhet, the efreet boss.
Wolf SilverSpear ~ Level 81 and soon to be 90"Waterworks Warrior" & "Grandmaster Artisan"
Stephen IceBane ~ Level 6 "Scribe of the Howlin' Wind"
Luke StormWraith ~ Level 18 "Krok Thrasher"

Survivor
Dec 10, 2011
i no this is kinda odd I'm a big level and still don't have the one awesome spell I really want it its way way to hard the boss has fifth teen thousand eh but at least its an ice so my Spells will do a lot

Survivor
Dec 05, 2009
Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
Dominooooo on May 11, 2013 wrote:
I admit, Steal Charm and Disarm are not smart. Disarm should have been 0 pips while Steal Charm 1. However, do you realize that stealing and removing are two completely different things? Also, does Myth receive a steal version of Shatter? I do not believe so. I have never in my life within the past 2 years seen a Fire wizard use Steal Charm, so why would you need a spell that steals all the charms? If you think stealing and removing are the same, you are 100% incorrect. You might want to rethink this.

It is not a fact that Firestarter gear is the best, but others might not. You might only think that Firestarter set has the best resist, but you can craft a robe that does not sacrifice your resist. Avalon crafting robe gives 12%, which isn't sacrificing. Azteca crafting robe even gives 13% instead of 12%. Is going from 12 to 13 called sacrificing, or gaining? Your damage in Azteca stays the same compared to the WW robe, and you only lose 1% from the Avalon robe. You are also gaining health. Compared to WW's 340HP robe, you receive 415HP from Avalon's craft robe and 430HP from Azteca's craft robe.

Gear choice can solve problems, and plus you can craft an amulet that gives a 35% Dragonblade and an item card Disarm for only two pips, instead of the three when trained/gotten from a quest.
I am happy to read all this great discussion on FIRE Wizards.
I would like to respond to the Gear first.

Yes, the Avalon Robe offers the same resistance as Water works, but the downside is other effects. The Knightly Helm offers more critical, but there is a huge penalty with resistance to other schools. The other crafted gear might give more health, but offer a huge penalty in resistance.

Here is another penalty.

Let’s say ICE at 85 Resistance and FIRE at 44 resistance do the same thing. Both use the following spells:

Infallible – 15%
Spear -10%
Unstoppable 15%

Fire reduces ICE resistance to: 85-15-10-15 = 44% total resistance
ICE reduces FIRE to: 44-15-10-15 = 4% total resistance.

ICE still has 5,000 health
ICE still has spells that hit harder than Efreet.

At lower levels, when ICE wasn’t powerful, it made sense to give them higher health and higher resistance.

Now ICE has damage spells on par with everyone, the huge health gift and resistance is just an unbalance of power.

Lastly, take a look at the leader board. THAT tells the true story.

First: Sorting by HIGH LEVEL, the not so surprising observation is there are only 3 FIRE Wizards in the top 84 positions. (That is out of 6 pages, only 3 FIRE Wizards show up). This is not surprising because FIRE has had poor updates, and the best gear for FIRE is 30 levels ago – Water Works gear. And, FIRE is no longer competitive against ICE.

Let’s say that again. Sorting by HIGH LEVEL Wizards, there are only 3 FIRE Wizards in the first 84 positions. FIRE is no longer competitive at HIGH Levels.

Now let’s look at ICE. There are 20 ICE wizards in the top 84 positions. In this sampling, 25% of all High level Wizards are ICE. I guess 5,000 health, spells that hit at 1,000 damage, and that 85 resistance against STORM and FIRE is paying off.

All the other schools are well represented, which means there are approximately 12 each of Storm, Death, Life, Myth and Balance in the top 84 positions. But only 3 FIRE in the top 84 positions. Only 3 FIRE Wizards.

My conclusion is: FIRE is no longer competitive in High level PVP because the updated spells since level 60 have been a huge disappointment, and offer little value. What more proof is needed than the LEADERBOARD?

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
BrynnerOfReign on May 7, 2013 wrote:
The thing is ....... this game is about PvE, that is the main focus. The game does not revolve around PvP.

Fire isn't the only school that feels cheated in spells. The game should be asking "what is good in PvE", and the PvP'ers need to work with what they have.

I know I do.
Hello QueQueg. I disagree with you.

The main focus of the game is what you make it to be. Questing and leveling up is the common thread needed to be better crafters, to be better gardners, to be better PVPers, to be better farmers, to be better drop hunters, etc.

There was a post from an ICE Wizard who said he had 94% FIRE resistance, and because this, it reduced his critical, power pip chance, and ICE damage, it was a fair trade off. Let's examine this trade off, shall we?

A FIRE with 5 blades, a field, and casts Efreet at an ICE who has 94% resistance only does 731 damage with all those boosts.

• Efreet – 1170

• Blades – 35%; 35%; 40%; 40%; 45%

• Field spell – 35% (TC)

• Fire Damage – 49%

• ICE Resistance – 94%. (This means the damage is reduced to 6% of the total)

A FIRE with 5 blades, a field, and casts Efreet at an ICE who has 94% resistance does only 731 damage with all those boosts.

I’ll trade with him any day. I’ll have my FIRE with 94 ICE resistance, and take the low power pip chance, low damage and low critical for 94 resistance. Don't say converts. This example is to compare an even playing field; ie: ICE doesn't need to convert.

Really? This doesn't seem very balanced. (No pun intended)

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
Dominooooo on May 11, 2013 wrote:

Hello Justin,

Yes, I realize, Steal and removing are two different things. The bottom line is the same. Your opponent has their blade removed.

You also asked: “I have never in my life within the past 2 years seen a Fire wizard use STEAL CHARM, so why would you need a spell that steals all the charms?”

The cheesy response could be: It's just another "low value" spell given to FIRE along the lines of DETONATE and BACKDRAFT.

I can’t answer for all FIRE WIZARDS, but I will say how I use it. As a high level FIRE, I don’t use it at all. There is no value for the pip cost, especially if you go second. However, as a low level FIRE, I include it in my deck. It has some value to take balance blades.

Here is my take on STEAL CHARM.

STEAL CHARM has little value because it’s a spell that has an identity problem.

Is it meant to steal your opponents’ blade, or provide a blade for your use? And since you cannot select the blade you want to steal, depending what your opponent does, and depending if you go first or second, you might steal a blade that makes no difference to you or your opponent. No value there. This is what I mean when I say STEAL CHARM has an identity issue.

So, you don’t see high level FIRE using STEAL CHARM much because the spell has an identity problem.

I think FIRE should get an enhanced STEAL CHARM that steals all blades similar to ENFEEBLE, which destroys all blades. I don’t think this is overpowering at all.

Let’s examine this:
  • First, the spells remove blades like earthquake, and aftershock and enfeeble.
  • Then, the second effect of the spell would be to place the removed blades on the WIZARD that cast the spell at a cost of 3-pips.
Only the stolen Fire blades will have value for Fire. The other blades would be valueless. The end result is the same as enfeeble, earthquake, aftershock etc. Your opponent loses their blades. If you think stealing all blades is overpowering, then you MUST agreee that EARTHQUAKE, AFTERSHOCK and ENFEEBLE are overpowering too.

FIRE needs an enhanced STEAL CHARM, and it seems logical it should have come at the same time ENFEEBLE came.

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
iSwag1234567890 on May 12, 2013 wrote:
  • I agree about detonate and backdraft, but think about storm's supercharge. It's worse than backdraft since it only does +10% damage boost for one pip, while backdraft does +20% damage boost. Detonate uses four pips just to destroy a d.o.t. early. No point in that spell, really.
  • Fire needs better armor piercing gear. An ice is almost invincible against fire, even if you have infallible, fire spear, and elemental spear. I've faced 8 ice wizards in p.v.p today, and their average resist was 83% to fire. Also, I agree with heelyman on the waterworks and crafted gear. First, legendary artisan is way too hard to get, and the crafted gear requires legendary artisan. Second, We need a level 90 or at least 80 gear, and it has to be better than the waterworks gear.
  • I think a "power steal charm" would be a little o.p. to be 3 pips. maybe fifth pips at least, since you're taking all your opponent's blades.
  • Last, efreet boss for fire is way to hard to be a level 58 boss. The rain of fire boss was about 30x easier than sothmekhet, the efreet boss.
Wolf SilverSpear ~ Level 81 and soon to be 90"Waterworks Warrior" & "Grandmaster Artisan"
Stephen IceBane ~ Level 6 "Scribe of the Howlin' Wind"
Luke StormWraith ~ Level 18 "Krok Thrasher"
Hell Eric,

Look at my other post about an enhanced Steal Charm. It's not overpowered.

Let’s examine this:
  • First, the spells remove blades like earthquake, like aftershock and like enfeeble.
  • Then the spell places them on you all at a cost of 3-pips.
Only the Fire blades will have value for FIRE. The other blades would be valueless. The end result is the same as enfeeble, earthquake, aftershock etc. Your opponent loses their blades.

FIRE needs an enhanced STEAL CHARM, and it seems logical it should have come at the same time ENFEEBLE came.

Hello Kings Isle update desk, can you consider? (Look at the leaderboard sorted by high level Wizards. Only 3 FIRES in the top 84 positions. 20 ICE WIZARDS in the top 84 positions, and about 12 each of all the other schools. This statistic clearly shows that FIRE is no longer competitive in high level PVP)

Also, FIRE is not overpowering anymore. At lower levels up to 60 it was stronger. But not now at level 90. All schools seem to be in the 4,000 range, except for ICE who is at 5,000. But FIRE spells have not increased proportionatley to ICE resistance. And, the other schools now have spells as powerful as fire in the 1,000 range.

Couple that with ICE and Balance stealing PIPS as an after effect, it's time for FIRE to get another look by Kings Isle staff.

I think an enhanced STEAL CHARM that steals all blades is badly needed. It could be along the lines of LINK and POWERLINK. Call it POWER STEAL CHARM.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Simple Sorcery on May 12, 2013 wrote:
Hello QueQueg. I disagree with you.

The main focus of the game is what you make it to be. Questing and leveling up is the common thread needed to be better crafters, to be better gardners, to be better PVPers, to be better farmers, to be better drop hunters, etc.

There was a post from an ICE Wizard who said he had 94% FIRE resistance, and because this, it reduced his critical, power pip chance, and ICE damage, it was a fair trade off. Let's examine this trade off, shall we?

A FIRE with 5 blades, a field, and casts Efreet at an ICE who has 94% resistance only does 731 damage with all those boosts.

• Efreet – 1170

• Blades – 35%; 35%; 40%; 40%; 45%

• Field spell – 35% (TC)

• Fire Damage – 49%

• ICE Resistance – 94%. (This means the damage is reduced to 6% of the total)

A FIRE with 5 blades, a field, and casts Efreet at an ICE who has 94% resistance does only 731 damage with all those boosts.

I’ll trade with him any day. I’ll have my FIRE with 94 ICE resistance, and take the low power pip chance, low damage and low critical for 94 resistance. Don't say converts. This example is to compare an even playing field; ie: ICE doesn't need to convert.

Really? This doesn't seem very balanced. (No pun intended)
Seriously? PvP was not added to this game until early 2009. It was in Test when I started playing. PvE has always been the base program for the game and without it, there would be no PvP. I certainly didn't join for that purpose and if it had been the base of this game i would not be here today.

I have a lvl 76 Pyro in Av. I don't use Steal charm or detonate for that matter and probably won't be using Backdraft. But I am not going to waste pips and be left with none for several rounds by which time there is a very good chance she is already dead. She does not have all the WW gear.

My storm does not use Disarm for the same reason of not wasting a round that I can do damge.

Fire is not the only school that has spell issues. Frankly, I am getting tired of seeing a lot of spells mutated to fit another school or all the Healing boosts for my life wiz. I would like to see some really good damage spells for all schools in PvE for the bosses we are encountering in Az now and future worlds

Que is right, the game should be about what is right for PvE.

Explorer
Mar 19, 2010
Have you been reading my mind? Some guy also brought up once that backdraft and supercharge should be reversed since fire has DoT spells which backdraft is basically useless to.