Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How long does your typical PVP match last?

Under 20 minutes.
25% [18]
20-40 minutes.
30% [21]
40-60 minutes.
17% [12]
1-2 hours.
11% [8]
2-3 hours.
7% [5]
3+ hours.
8% [6]

Feedback Friday 3-8-13

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Hi there Wizards! We've made it to Friday, and that means it's time for another topic!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

This week, let's talk about PVP match length (if you're not a PVPer, hold tight, we'll get onto something different next week). Please vote and tell us how long an AVERAGE match lasts for you. Below, we'd love to hear more detailed obvservations such as, "I'm a level 90 warlord, and I usually take 5 minutes per match" (which is, of course, not what I expect to see at all, but just giving an example).

Looking forward to seeing the results! Have a wonderful weekend! ::grin::

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Mastermind
Mar 16, 2010
One of the options is 3+ hours? WOAH. I wonder how much points you get when you win.... (500?)

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Depends which wizard.

My little ice noob, (Level 5) less than 5 minutes.

My fire, depends who I fight. With storm, other fires, and balance, less than 30 minutes but more than 10.

If it's an ice, life, or myth, it generally take 4 to 12 hours. (I sat 13 hours for one fight... That's the longest I've ever gone.)

Survivor
Apr 01, 2009
Mid level dueling (L20-L49) is shorter than high level dueling (L60-L90). High level wizards have 2x or more health, higher resistance through crafted gear, and much greater healing ability through crafted gear. The best discussion of this matter can be found in Nick's Central thread -
The Basic Realities of Full Gear Arena Dueling

Even with the new high level spells, skilled duelists can tank amazing amounts of damage at the high levels. Notice that the PvPCentral rules limit both max resistance and combined healing boosts. Even with those meager limits, high skill players will go for 3-4-5 hours before they can spike damage enough for the kill.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Professor Falmea on Mar 8, 2013 wrote:
Hi there Wizards! We've made it to Friday, and that means it's time for another topic!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

This week, let's talk about PVP match length (if you're not a PVPer, hold tight, we'll get onto something different next week). Please vote and tell us how long an AVERAGE match lasts for you. Below, we'd love to hear more detailed obvservations such as, "I'm a level 90 warlord, and I usually take 5 minutes per match" (which is, of course, not what I expect to see at all, but just giving an example).

Looking forward to seeing the results! Have a wonderful weekend! ::grin::
mine is always under 10 minutes. usually under 5 even most of the time.

Explorer
Jun 26, 2012
I am Sean Firesword, A level 90 Private Pyromancer and my cousin who i have a 2v2 team with is Brandon Moonbreaker, A level 54 Veteran Pyromancer. Our matches usually take around 20-40 minutes.

Sean Firesword Level 90 Pyromancer "One in a million"
Sean Stormsword Level 38 Diviner "Oni Slayer"
Sean Mythsword Level 16 Conjurer "Wizard City Protecter"

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
Hello Professor!

PvP is not my main activity in this game, but when I PvP on my Promethean Pyromancer, which is a Private (491 rating ) a match takes about 20-40 minutes, if our pets dont turn crazy and think were in the danger zone. Thats in 1v1 though. I dont do team PvP.

When I PvP on my Adept Ice, however, matches take the same time. But I guess thats because my Ice is a Captain, so he faces more advanced players with better gear, pets, resistance, spells, strategy, etc.

I hoped this helped!

PS I always enjoy reading your posts because it means that we are on the weekend! :)

Survivor
Mar 22, 2010
My matches usually take 1-2 hours. I have a level 39 ice commander. It really depends on what school I fight, if I'm doing team or 1v1, if I'm facing higher levels or legit teams for my level. I was once in a match against another level 39 ice commander. That match lasted about 6 hours.

Survivor
Aug 13, 2009
At Level 90 on my Fire wizard.. from 500 through around 800 rank, the average match for me was 15-30 minutes. A lot of this was users having less than amazing gear and/or not healing much. A couple of good hits and the match would be over. There were few outliers vs Ice with 60-80 Fire resist, those matches were usually around an hour and a half.. it takes time to survive their attacks, hold up a defense while trying to set up enough armor piercing to actually defeat one.

At Level 90 on my Fire and Myth wizards, from 800 through around 1,100 rank, matches generally lasted 45 minutes to an hour. Much more common in this rank range for opponents to have a Life Amulet and know how to use it, and even to pair that up with a wand that gives Guardian Spirit so you have to defeat them repeatedly. Matches in this range can become frustrating, because the increased heals mean that opponents bounce back very quickly from damage.. so messing up during my "kill solution" would easily double this match length while I had to set up again. On Fire, Ice wizards with Life Amulet and Guardian Spirit made things pretty miserable for me.. the match times skyrocketed. Few people were prepared to defend Myth, so those were more simple.

Beyond 1,100 rank, it can sometimes take a while just to get a match, and many of those take an hour easily.

At Level 36 on my Life wizard, from rank 500 through around 900, matches last approximately 15-30 minutes. Against high level players with sub-private rank, the matches are usually fast. Against another low level player with good resist, mastery amulet, solid pet.. those matches easily took an hour.

Survivor
Oct 28, 2010
It depends on what school I am using, what level I am and what my rank is. Fights with my lvl 86 balance knight take long, over one hour at least. On my lvl 76 death sergeant fights take 20 to 40 minutes. Also, the opponent's school has an effect: fights against storm are way shorter than fights against life wizards for example.

Survivor
Jun 01, 2011
It really does depend on your level and if you are in 1v1 or team. Higher level matches can easily take an hour or more. Even mid level matches often do. Lower level without large decks and trained reshuffle rarely take more than half an hour. One reason is pet healing, and higher and higher heal boosts. Its now possible to have a pet with 4 may cast heals, and with a good heal boost, pet healing can easily alter the course of a game. I think the triggers for the heals are excessive and make matches unnecessarily long, and often unfair. It's now often which team has the best healing pets that wins.

Survivor
Feb 16, 2011
When I'm facing puppet teams on my magus, the battles can be really fast. I'm talking 2-5 minutes for a battle sometimes. When I'm working with a more skilled team, and we all have lots of treasure cards, the battle will last a bit longer, but we still run out of tc at some point if we can't kill, cutting it short. The smart puppet teams reshuffle us into the ground.

The 1v1 battles on my level 90 Balance are more fun. If I'm going first, I can nearly always kill in less than an hour, often in 15 minutes if I happen to get matched against a wizard with a berserk play style. When I go second, our battles tend to take a couple hours while I slowly work my opponent down watching for a break in shields big enough to kill.

I really don't mind the 2-3 hour matches on my level 90, but on my magus, 2 minute battles full of critical colossal tempests every turn get old and pointlessly boring really fast.

Survivor
Apr 27, 2010
most of my matches on my level 20 pyromancer are around 20 minutes but the ones that are not tend to be less than that.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
I've done PvP only a couple of times. One match lasted about 5-10 minutes, the last one was over 15 minutes. (two well matched legendary wizards).

Survivor
Oct 01, 2011
Since I really enjoy team pvp, mine usually last over an hour each.

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
First, thank you Professor Falmea for asking about PvP! Wizard101 has a fabulous PvP community who love the game and the challenges building PvP strategies offer.

I love PvP and I have Promethean wizards in all schools. I also use an Adept Balance and a Ice Magus. I like having options :) I enjoy Warlord level PvP.

PvP is a passion of mine and has been for several years. It started as a filler between new content in the game, and has become my favorite part of Wizard101. I now quest to keep my wizards ready for PvP!

My intial instinct was to answer 3+ hours because I have been in many matches that last 3+ hours and they are NOT fun. Mega pets and extreme resistant gear can provide Warlords all they need to sit in battles for hours and hours. To deter longer matches, I do not play in 4v4 or 3v3 anymore, but I do miss it. 4v4s feel more like 8v8s and 3v3s feel more like 6v6s with advanced pets casting spells so often. The matches are just too long.

Adept and Magus level matches typically last 30 minutes or less.

The majority of my PvP matches lately have been 2v2. These matches, on average are completed in under an hour. I would still prefer matches to be shorter, and sometimes they are, but sometimes they aren't.

There are tools used frequently in the arena such as Doom and Gloom that shorten matches. (I wish all matches were played under D&G!) Some tools; however, increase the playtime such as super buffed heals. Also, many choose to carry spells such as Earthquake to eliminate big damage.

It is impossible to carry every card that one needs into the arena to deter every opponent. There is an art to deck building. Some players were uber resistant gear and play only shields, infections and weakness until the other player gets bored and leaves. I prefer a more aggressive play style, dealing out damage as quick as possible. I use D&G as often as possible because of the healing boosts and pet's may cast heals.

Thank you again for the PvP related Feedback Friday!

Survivor
Mar 01, 2010
On my fire lvl 90 captain about and hour sometimes more if i'm trying.

On my storm lvl 40 commander about 40-70 minutes if it's hard

On my really really really low ice vet it takes about 5 minutes

On my death level 24 knight or captain it takes about 10 minutes

on my balance level 15 vet it takes about 5 minutes (He is the weak one atm)

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
Challenging matches at the Adept - Magus level for 1v1 (Commander vs Commander, for instance) usually take 1 hour to 1.5 hours. Against less skilled opponents, it would be shorter, perhaps 30 - 45 minutes.

In team PvP, challenging opponents, again, this could take up to 3 hours or sometimes it just stalemates because neither side can do enough damage (whether due to pets or resist). I have been in a match which was longer than 6 hours and both sides decided to flee at the same time.

Against puppet teams at that level, matches can last from 2 minutes to 3 - 10 hours. The 10 hours is mostly due to Jade Gear -- it's simply too harsh for Adept wizards to overcome a Promethean wizard with that much resist and heal boost so they can only stave off attacks by healing and surviving.

Jade Gear is also affecting high level matches. These usually do take 6 - 8 hours, after which somebody decides to flee because they have to go to work in the morning. Very often, the strategy for the Jade Gear wizard is merely to shield, heal, dispel, and not attack, hoping for the opponent to flee.

High level team PvP normally takes 1 - 1.5 hours. Challenging opponents would be around 3 hours. Very lopsided matches where one side has immense resist and the other side doesn't is generally, as I wrote before, 6-8 hours if the team from second is just surviving and not attacking. High level team PvP is very dependent on who goes first, so if the advantage is very great for the team going first, that team can win under 30 minutes.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
i only do low-level pvp* (my level 22 pyro is a sergeant), so most of my matches are over in 10 minutes or less, with a few exceptions.

*the one time i've attempted high-level pvp, the match wasn't long at all.

me (balance private) and my 2 friends (ice private and storm warlord) faced a team of warlords, including a guardian-spirit spammer and ice with epic resist and block... we still won, and the match only took an hour, give or take a few minutes.

so i suppose it depends on the players and their strategies.

-sergeant von

Explorer
Jul 16, 2009
Hi, Professor!
While I'd like to give you an "average", I can't.
Some duels are short.
Some duels take longer.
Like any good card game.
Get a bunch of friends together, and you can run-on into the wee hours of the night.
Same principles apply.

There's always a lot of factors involved to duels.
When I was a kid, it was always, "What are the snacks gonna be?" :)

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
I dont do ranked pvp that much on my higher level characters anymore but when I did my ice would survive and keep my team alive for a long long time. I have before sat through a 3+ hour match (enemy had Jade) but we won so it was worth it. All of my longest matches are jade matches.

Wolf Skullslinger, Thaumaturge by Trade

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
I am a level 78 Balance wizard. Some matches take about under 15 minutes. Other times it is 1 minute, when they flee, or are "ranking down." I don't ignore the occasional time when i am against a hard wizard, those take up to a hour. That is why i picked my match takes 20-40 minutes.

Administrator
Thanks for the PVP thoughts, Wizards! I'll pass these along to the Design wizards. I'm typically a bit preoccupied with lesson plans and classroom preparation, but I remember the days when I dueled a bit. It was fun, but I remember it taking longer... hmmm...

New Feedback Friday coming up in mere moments!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea