Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fizzle!....AGAIN!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 22, 2009
There has got to be something wrong with the fizzle rate. Unless the thing is completely random, I don't see how, as a balance wizard with 85% accuracy could possibly constantly fizzle twice in a row. It just doesn't make sence. I have a feeling there is something seriously wrong with the fizzle rate. It is must be alot higher that what the card says. If I fizzle just once,then thats fine, but if I fizzle on the next turn, I know something is wrong. Does anybody else have problems like this, and share my suspicion? (I'm pretty sure theres a lot of you)

Survivor
Oct 27, 2008
Defender
Mar 01, 2009
i do though i am not balance the fizzling is hapening a lot though i am fire most of my good attacks fizzle and sometimes its twice in a row or the same spell over and over again

Grandmaster Pyromancer
Scarlet Redthorn

Hero
May 19, 2009
same problem

IDEA

i think your accuracy should increase the lower your health gets so when you're in a desprete situation your less likely to fizzle and less likely to die

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
Gnesh500 wrote:
There has got to be something wrong with the fizzle rate. Unless the thing is completely random, I don't see how, as a balance wizard with 85% accuracy could possibly constantly fizzle twice in a row. It just doesn't make sence. I have a feeling there is something seriously wrong with the fizzle rate. It is must be alot higher that what the card says. If I fizzle just once,then thats fine, but if I fizzle on the next turn, I know something is wrong. Does anybody else have problems like this, and share my suspicion? (I'm pretty sure theres a lot of you)

calm down, as said, it is luck, i've had a life fizzle 3 times in a row

Defender
May 15, 2009
Survivor
Jul 18, 2009
if you fizzle you should at keast get your card back cos i used lightning bats to finish off foulgaze and i was low on health and it fizzled and i lost the duel its rally annoying

Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
I agree. You should get your card back, not only treasure cards. I also believe you shouldn't lose mana since you never actually cast the spell.

That is just my opinion though. Knowing game companies it takes a lot more than 5 people to get anything changed.

Survivor
Jul 16, 2009
Rather annoying is an understatement. It is the worst thing I've come across in a long time, and is rapidly destroying an otherwise great game for me. You spend all this time casting spells to convert and upgrade damage for various situations that often by the time you're ready to finally pop off your spell you've taken so much damage you can't afford a fizzle or your dead! It's dumb! 90% of the battles I've lost are a DIRECT result of fizzling. It's hard enough to chain in damage converter's and upgraders and healing and defense as it is. Making people chain in those annoying accuracy spells takes up too much space in a deck, doesn't really work, and is frankly ridiculous.

Further, claims that the fizzle rates listed are accurate are entirely subjective. Over an EXTREME long run they might work out, but when you cast 3 copies of the same spell and they ALL fizzle, that's a 100% fizzle rate from my casting perspective. Two out of three fizzles on cards with a supposed 70% success rate is bull. That's only 33%. Yeah yeah I know it's all a matter of perspective but that's my point. When you fizzle the only attack you can get off because you've had to chain everything together while putting together a defense, and then die and get beamed back to the commons, that's not 70% fizzling, that's 100% infuriating. Not annoying, infuriating.

There are BETTER ways to set your game apart, KingsIsle! Sheesh!

Defender
May 29, 2009

If you died as a direct result of fizzles, that's your fault, not KIs. You took a gamble on your spells, it failed, and you paid the price. Maybe you should've healed or cast a shield instead. A big part of this game is spell selection and deck mgmt - determine how many damage, buffs, debuffs, and healing spells you have in your deck.

Percentages of any type (fizzles or otherwise) are ALWAYS calculated for the long run. Large sample sizes are the prerequisite of any statistically relevant percentage rate. It's not a matter of perspective; it's a matter of math. Can you fizzle 2 out of 3 times and still claim 75% accuracy? You're conveniently forgetting those times when you cast 7 damage spells in a row and they all hit. And yes, that did happen. People just tend to remember the negative experiences.

primemovers wrote:
Rather annoying is an understatement. It is the worst thing I've come across in a long time, and is rapidly destroying an otherwise great game for me. You spend all this time casting spells to convert and upgrade damage for various situations that often by the time you're ready to finally pop off your spell you've taken so much damage you can't afford a fizzle or your dead! It's dumb! 90% of the battles I've lost are a DIRECT result of fizzling. It's hard enough to chain in damage converter's and upgraders and healing and defense as it is. Making people chain in those annoying accuracy spells takes up too much space in a deck, doesn't really work, and is frankly ridiculous.

Further, claims that the fizzle rates listed are accurate are entirely subjective. Over an EXTREME long run they might work out, but when you cast 3 copies of the same spell and they ALL fizzle, that's a 100% fizzle rate from my casting perspective. Two out of three fizzles on cards with a supposed 70% success rate is bull. That's only 33%. Yeah yeah I know it's all a matter of perspective but that's my point. When you fizzle the only attack you can get off because you've had to chain everything together while putting together a defense, and then die and get beamed back to the commons, that's not 70% fizzling, that's 100% infuriating. Not annoying, infuriating.

There are BETTER ways to set your game apart, KingsIsle! Sheesh!

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
yeah i know what you mean i put a thread up about the fizzles i think that Kingsisle should just take them out i mean take the out for the NPC's too because its almost pushing me to quit playing the game.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
As a level 33 Life Wizard I did a survey on the Prison level and on the Ironworks.

My fizzle rate on those two level was 46% fizzle and the enemy's rate was 22.9% fizzle. Sorta uneven I think.

Also they can cast a 4 pip spell with 1 pip while you cannot. They want you to have to play in a group to win or you cannot defeat some of these. I have over 50 treasure cards so I've got good spells, but even at 90% I've have five fizzles in a row.

I agree, they need to make the game more fair to the players.

Explorer
Feb 11, 2009
You have noticed that you have had many fizzles. Have you noticed the percentage on the card doesnt change? If the card has a 70% chance of working and you fizzle, the next time you use it guess what, it still has a 70% chance of working. This is nothing sinister or unfair happening here. The cards dont know or care about what happened before or what might happen later. It has a 70% of working THIS TIME. Less powerful spells work more often. High power spells, in relation to other schools at htat level, have a lower chance of success. Its a trade off. Its not an over time thing. It is the chance that the card will work at that time. period. This is not that complicated and not that confusing.

Defender
May 15, 2009
csmeat wrote:
I also believe you shouldn't lose mana since you never actually cast the spell.

You don't lose your mana; therefore, you could cast a more powerful spell next turn....assuming you didn't gamble and lose.

Defender
May 15, 2009
primemovers wrote:
Over an EXTREME long run they might work out, but when you cast 3 copies of the same spell and they ALL fizzle, that's a 100% fizzle rate from my casting perspective.

Then why don't you complain when you cast successfully three times in a row? That's a 0% fizzle rate from that same [askew] perspective and is completely "unfair". :?

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
As people have said it is luck: basically 85% means that generally, 85 out of 100 spells should work, and 15 will not. This isn't fixed though; make a spinner with 100 sections and 85 of them say work and 15 say fizzle. You'll notice that the probability of 85 of the spells working won't be fixed, sometimes you will hit fizzle more, alternately, you could get more "works" than what probability dictates.

Hope this helps;
~Cyber. C:

Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
RoloX2 wrote:
csmeat wrote:
I also believe you shouldn't lose mana since you never actually cast the spell.

You don't lose your mana; therefore, you could cast a more powerful spell next turn....assuming you didn't gamble and lose.

Actually it does take your mana. Ive checked it multiple times.

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
It could happen. I mean it's only two times in a row. I've seen someone fizzle six times in a row.

Explorer
Mar 22, 2009
Well.. in my part of the game my fire spells and life are fine they do not fizzle that much and i have hydra in a necklace and that only fizzled once. So that would have a lot of problems if you were storm. Hmm... get A LOT of cloths with a target and A LOT of less fizzle rate. ;) hope this helps

Survivor
May 16, 2009
Unfortunately, the Wild Bolt spell only has a 10% accuracy. use at least 6 keen eyes spells when you want to use wild bolt ! take my advice or your wild bolt will...... FIZZLE !

Survivor
Feb 11, 2009
One person said about the fizzle more then once it is SO true. There has to be something wrong with the fizzle rate. It is WAY out of wak after grizzleheim was added. So it might be grizzleheims apperence that is messing up the fizzle rate. ( Everyone should agree with me.)

Explorer
Jul 08, 2009
The fizzle debate will never end because people will keep fizzling and will believe, whether correct or not, something is not working correctly. As a fire/storm character, I understand the frustration of fizzling as well as anyone. I kept track of my fizzles, played with numbers, and in the end figured out one thing. I accepted it. Its part of the game. Sometimes things go well and sometimes things go horrible in terms of fizzling. The same argument could be made about which cards randomly appear in your deck. Regardless I decided to try and find and solution. I was shocked how quickly I became happy with my character. My solution was a hybrid character. First do any quest that can give you training points, it's a must. I knew fire/storm would fizzle a lot and decided to add life to the mix. Now my character is a primary fire with both storm and life as secondaries. If I fizzle alot, no worries, I can now heal myself. My life spells only go up to satyr, then I stop getting anymore life spells. Is it perfect, no, but it is an effective solution that works for me. Now when I fizzle all hope is not lost. I've found I die much less and can solo much more effectively. Lastly I can't emphasize this enough, pay attention to your deck and your card placement. If you don't place your cards right, there isn't a solution out there that will work for you. For me I have a deck that holds 45 spells. I use the max of 4 pixies, then 3 centaurs and 3 sprites. This gives me enough healing but also enough attack cards as well. This works for me and remember, I am only trying to give a solution that worked for me due to my fizzling problem. Remember the most important thing, we play this game because we like it and its meant to be fun. Fizzling is part of the game, and playing devils advocate here, if the fizzle rate wasn't so high in some schools or cards, maybe the game would be too easy.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
silverdragonn wrote:
The fizzle debate will never end because people will keep fizzling and will believe, whether correct or not, something is not working correctly. As a fire/storm character, I understand the frustration of fizzling as well as anyone. I kept track of my fizzles, played with numbers, and in the end figured out one thing. I accepted it. Its part of the game. Sometimes things go well and sometimes things go horrible in terms of fizzling. The same argument could be made about which cards randomly appear in your deck. Regardless I decided to try and find and solution. I was shocked how quickly I became happy with my character. My solution was a hybrid character. First do any quest that can give you training points, it's a must. I knew fire/storm would fizzle a lot and decided to add life to the mix. Now my character is a primary fire with both storm and life as secondaries. If I fizzle alot, no worries, I can now heal myself. My life spells only go up to satyr, then I stop getting anymore life spells. Is it perfect, no, but it is an effective solution that works for me. Now when I fizzle all hope is not lost. I've found I die much less and can solo much more effectively. Lastly I can't emphasize this enough, pay attention to your deck and your card placement. If you don't place your cards right, there isn't a solution out there that will work for you. For me I have a deck that holds 45 spells. I use the max of 4 pixies, then 3 centaurs and 3 sprites. This gives me enough healing but also enough attack cards as well. This works for me and remember, I am only trying to give a solution that worked for me due to my fizzling problem. Remember the most important thing, we play this game because we like it and its meant to be fun. Fizzling is part of the game, and playing devils advocate here, if the fizzle rate wasn't so high in some schools or cards, maybe the game would be too easy.

What quests gives you training points? I am a life wizard with storm as secondary. I can hold 45 cards and mainly use a lot of healing spells, but I still don't understand how you can fizzle on a 100% card. I can't get enough training points to get a third school.

Explorer
Jul 08, 2009
Swim2sea wrote:
What quests gives you training points? I am a life wizard with storm as secondary. I can hold 45 cards and mainly use a lot of healing spells, but I still don't understand how you can fizzle on a 100% card. I can't get enough training points to get a third school.

Zeke's quests give you a healing point for his quests, find the smiths, beetles ect. I also did one other quest,(cant remember which one) which gave me a healing point. I can hold 55 cards with my deck so you may need to buy a new deck if you want more cards. As for the 100% card that fizzles, I don't have an answer. I know its happened and I know others have commented on it when playing with them. I can only assume the monster cast some kind of spell, maybe a minus targeting spell that lowers the 100%. I do know its frustrating.

Hero
May 02, 2009
I have noticed that some of my spells do tend to fizzle when I need them to work.

I have one frost beetle spell in my deck and that fizzles alot, and when it works is pretty uncommon.

I'm not sure what's wrong, but this is just my point of view.