Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Too much hate on one person?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
My brother and I have noticed that whoever runs into battle first seems to pull the most aggro. Is this true and if so, why? It doesn't seem fair that you get hit the most because you walked up to the battlefield first but I just got beaten up pretty badly because I walked in first and pulled all the aggro even though two other people were there. And the battle before that saw the same thing happening to the guy that walked in first as well. He got hit so hard that I had to use Sacrifice to deal damage to myself and revive him.

I know there are skills for attempting to brush off some aggro but I don't particularly think the current system is really fair even with them figured in but that's just my opinion.

Survivor
Nov 02, 2008

This is normal to me.
I travel in groups where we either rotate the first slot or have a life wizard that will heal us.
We always have that moment in the battle that instead of passing we through the first slot wizard a sheild or a fairy, everyone does in my groups.

If you find yourself in a group that always lets you go first then lets you get creamed, find a new group or let them experiance the first slot.

The most common situation is everyone goes after the boss leaving you to just get mashed by 2 or 3 minions and the boss. Everyone just goes on talking and could care less about you in first slot, this happens everytime i start a new wizard. I find a new group and let them spounge off someone else.

Explorer
Dec 12, 2008
I agree with this, for the most part it takes quite a bit of time to change the enemies target. Other than "trying" to taunt them, the enemies are kinda set on one person. And if anything it makes the battle feel somewhat dull to me. Now if the enemy were to be more volatile towards its attackers and change its target more often it'd add a higher sense of caution to the game and a need for more strategy. As of right now the enemies seem too predictable and cookie cutter in how they target a player.

Survivor
May 27, 2009
When I go into battles with my brother the monsters only attack one person when someone missed the first turn of the battle

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
Loonytone wrote:
When I go into battles with my brother the monsters only attack one person when someone missed the first turn of the battle

That seems to be the case, yes, but that's not really entirely fair I don't think. If it's, say, 3 versus 2, and the second player missed the first turn, you're getting creamed by two monsters and he's usually only getting attacked by one so you're getting hit over and over again while he's free to casually flick off the one monster and then do whatever he pleases with the other two. When it's just you and you alone, it's normal that you'd be the only one to get attacked, you're the only one there after all, but when someone else joins, I think the monsters should be more flexible about who they attack and when and why. In most other games I've played, they either change it up randomly or the monsters will attack whoever is dealing the most damage to them rather than sticking strictly to whoever caught their attention.

I think it's more fair when everyone joins at the same time, I'm not sure. I gave it some thought and I can't remember an instance when it was severely unbalanced but I could be wrong. Even then though, it's, as Phel said, way too predictable. Just today, my brother said, "Why don't you attack that one there, he's across from you and they always seem to attack you most so I always go for the ones across from me." and he was, for the most part, correct. So much so that everyone else was doing the same thing and I realized that that's usually the case in every battle you join, everyone goes for the monster across from them until it's dead and it's rare that the battle becomes more random.

Defender
Nov 05, 2008
LaadyX wrote:
Loonytone wrote:

That seems to be the case, yes, but that's not really entirely fair I don't think. If it's, say, 3 versus 2, and the second player missed the first turn, you're getting creamed by two monsters and he's usually only getting attacked by one so you're getting hit over and over again while he's free to casually flick off the one monster and then do whatever he pleases with the other two. When it's just you and you alone, it's normal that you'd be the only one to get attacked, you're the only one there after all, but when someone else joins, I think the monsters should be more flexible about who they attack and when and why. In most other games I've played, they either change it up randomly or the monsters will attack whoever is dealing the most damage to them rather than sticking strictly to whoever caught their attention.

I think it's more fair when everyone joins at the same time, I'm not sure. I gave it some thought and I can't remember an instance when it was severely unbalanced but I could be wrong. Even then though, it's, as Phel said, way too predictable. Just today, my brother said, "Why don't you attack that one there, he's across from you and they always seem to attack you most so I always go for the ones across from me." and he was, for the most part, correct. So much so that everyone else was doing the same thing and I realized that that's usually the case in every battle you join, everyone goes for the monster across from them until it's dead and it's rare that the battle becomes more random.

this is what i have notice and what i understand from reading other posts
if you are in the first spot you are first target if you want to take the target off of you, just put up shields and blades untill someone eles does some major damage

Survivor
Feb 01, 2009
What I have noticed is that when someone uses a spell that attacks them all and they arent in the first slot person gets creamed. I was killing a bunch of undead wizards when i had to get offline. To hurry things up I used a metour strike. Next thing you know all of them are attacking ME! I went from full life to ending up almost dead! Even though i did attack them all it really isnt fair for them to only be attacking one person!

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2009
they need to balance it, this is getting out of hand. my own brother is taking advantage of me and always waits for me to go first...

Survivor
Mar 17, 2009
At first I thought this was true and seems to be with only two people up until DS. Since I play mostly by myself or with my daughter, we would just take turns going first. Since we have reached DS they have an enormous amount of aggro on her. Her uncle occasionally runs with us and he's noticed it too that no matter what position she's in she gets the most attention until we get either an absorb shield or two 50% of shields on her. Really strange and she's fire btw.

Hero
May 19, 2009
Aggro- short for "aggravation." Aggro is a point system that tells monsters which player it should attack, depending on how much damage (or heals) a certain player deals.

Defender
May 28, 2009
This is actually a benefit in group play. Put the person with the most health in the first slot. Do not enter until card selection is made. Then have the rest of the group jump in. People who can buff first then attacker. Let the first person get beat up, usually a life or an ice, they are the groups protection. Have the second and / or third person throw traps, blades, and shields and have the last person save pips for a massive attack. Works most every time and the entire mob is dead in 4-5 rounds. It also helps to have a life person that knows how to pull aggro so that they can take all the abuse while the rest of the team does their job.

Survivor
Mar 17, 2009
DarthNexus wrote:
Aggro- short for "aggravation." Aggro is a point system that tells monsters which player it should attack, depending on how much damage (or heals) a certain player deals.

Darth, do you know if KI's formula for aggro includes extra for the same class? Ex: Fire enemy deal extra 25% aggro for Fire wizard. The reason I ask is we can have 4 fire enemies in DS. I'm first with Ice/Storm, her uncles is 2nd with Myth/Storm, and she's last with Fire/Storm. We carry a lot of treasure heals just for her. She starts building for helephant or dragon with fire-to-ice traps, I can generally get to my Frost Giant within 3 to 4 rounds, her uncle tries to protect and heal her and build up to humogonous frog. They will all pummel her and continue to pummel her eventhough I can get at least a 600 hit on each plus the stun on my Frost Giant. Her uncle can unleash his frog and they still go after her before she even gets to her helephant or dragon. We've even had this happen with friends who are Storm, Death and Balance and they can throw out a quick tempest or dust storm to try draw the attention and they still pummel her. The good thing about it is that she is getting the best rare drops. She has nearly all the pets, amulets, wands/swords. Her uncle reminded me it was the same way in Firecat Alley and the Pyramid in Krokotopia.

Defender
Aug 02, 2008
DarthNexus wrote:

True But When W101 first started up The mobs always attacked
the wizard 'WHO WAS THE MOST THREAT' to them.
Now this system seems to be very messed up. I think it happened when KI
intraduced the new cheating boss attacks (I called them) and then
they were taken out due to many complaints. Also the new crafting system
has borked many things up as well, (crafting IMO, still needs ALOT of work
and tweaking done to it or changed all together.)

Grizzle has so many graphical and sound glitches, not enough quest info.
and no real intragrated story line like the Wizard City Spiral up to DS has.
Grizzle is ment to be played a portion at a time. each section of grizzle
is at a different wizard level. so play the first part when you are lvl 20
then go back and do the next area of grizzle when you are lvl 30 and so on.

Hero
May 02, 2009
Phel wrote:
I agree with this, for the most part it takes quite a bit of time to change the enemies target. Other than "trying" to taunt them, the enemies are kinda set on one person. And if anything it makes the battle feel somewhat dull to me. Now if the enemy were to be more volatile towards its attackers and change its target more often it'd add a higher sense of caution to the game and a need for more strategy. As of right now the enemies seem too predictable and cookie cutter in how they target a player.

Yeah, I agree, because it does seem that the enemies always go after player one alot.

In my opinion, I would say it could be based on how the cogs in toontown act, because in that game it says, and I quote, that "Cogs tend to attack the toon that has done them the most damage."

the enemies here are kinda like that, but not a whole lot.

just my two cents.

Hero
May 19, 2009
DarthNexus wrote:

Kite-Used to describe the action of dragging a mob behind a player. Generally a small amount of damage must be dealt every few seconds/and or turns to keep the mob from de-aggroing.

Survivor
Jul 16, 2009
i think it is totally fair you walk into the battle first you get hit most it is smart.

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
Death wizards do very well if they go first. They have spells that let them heal and at the same time deal damage. My group usually has a death wizard to take and heal damage and provide a little backup, my fire wizard to deal the bulk of the damage, balance wizard to buff up everybody, and if we're lucky we have a life mage to heal us when we need it. It works out pretty well.
Kane Lionflame, Grandmaster Pyromancer

Hero
May 19, 2009
LeaWildcat wrote:
DarthNexus wrote:

Darth, do you know if KI's formula for aggro includes extra for the same class? Ex: Fire enemy deal extra 25% aggro for Fire wizard. The reason I ask is we can have 4 fire enemies in DS. I'm first with Ice/Storm, her uncles is 2nd with Myth/Storm, and she's last with Fire/Storm. We carry a lot of treasure heals just for her. She starts building for helephant or dragon with fire-to-ice traps, I can generally get to my Frost Giant within 3 to 4 rounds, her uncle tries to protect and heal her and build up to humogonous frog. They will all pummel her and continue to pummel her eventhough I can get at least a 600 hit on each plus the stun on my Frost Giant. Her uncle can unleash his frog and they still go after her before she even gets to her helephant or dragon. We've even had this happen with friends who are Storm, Death and Balance and they can throw out a quick tempest or dust storm to try draw the attention and they still pummel her. The good thing about it is that she is getting the best rare drops. She has nearly all the pets, amulets, wands/swords. Her uncle reminded me it was the same way in Firecat Alley and the Pyramid in Krokotopia.

no i dont have the forumla for the enemies aggro system, but it is true that characters who have the first cirle in combat, or are the same school as the enemies do hold more aggro.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2008
LaadyX wrote:
My brother and I have noticed that whoever runs into battle first seems to pull the most aggro. Is this true and if so, why? It doesn't seem fair that you get hit the most because you walked up to the battlefield first but I just got beaten up pretty badly because I walked in first and pulled all the aggro even though two other people were there. And the battle before that saw the same thing happening to the guy that walked in first as well. He got hit so hard that I had to use Sacrifice to deal damage to myself and revive him.

I know there are skills for attempting to brush off some aggro but I don't particularly think the current system is really fair even with them figured in but that's just my opinion.
when you have the aggro dont heal much unless you need to just let your compainion the ice wizard start dealing damage or tautn them to pull agrro (ice is the tanking class i think)