Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Furture feature to disable auto join battles?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
Seriously. :|

All right, hey I love having extra people join my battle out of no where. Seriously though, how irritating is it when you place traps on monsters and a random player decides to join the battle only to throw down spells that only do 50 damage on your traps? This isn't by accident either, the person doesn't evidentially see anything wrong with it. Sometimes I just feel like playing by myself when this happens as a break from people who would do this.

I think it would be a cool idea if we had an option in the menu to select rather you wish to allow other players to join your battles. It wouldn't apply for specific bosses given obvious reasons.

Survivor
Mar 28, 2009
Elenaya wrote:

All right, hey I love having extra people join my battle out of no where. Seriously though, how irritating is it when you place traps on monsters and a random player decides to join the battle only to throw down spells that only do 50 damage on your traps? This isn't by accident either, the person doesn't evidentially see anything wrong with it. Sometimes I just feel like playing by myself when this happens as a break from people who would do this.

I think it would be a cool idea if we had an option in the menu to select rather you wish to allow other players to join your battles. It wouldn't apply for specific bosses given obvious reasons.

Sadly, this has been an ongoing concern for many wizards. Similar to what you have mentioned, I have also seen others jump into your duel, wait for another monster to add, and then flee... thus leaving you with an extra monster to take care of. I unaffectionately refer to these jokers as the "hit and run" wizards. You also get the wizards who pop in and then run AFK or something for the duration of the battle forcing you to wait the full 30 seconds each turn and do all the work.

I understand that many of these wizards are younger players who may not be able to grasp the undercurrents of Wizard101 courtesy. However, I am still of the opinion that a duel lock would be a great idea. If the children are unable to understand the situation, then, like any good parent, we ought to be able to provide guidance. This not only helps with the younger players but will also help reduce the intentional incidents of griefing. Though by saying this I often open a can of worms and another debate ensues :(

There are valid points on both sides of the argument. However, I still believe it would be great to get a message box when somebody tries to crash your duel asking you whether or not you want to allow them in. As you suggested, certain bosses ought to be a free-for-all and they could maybe tie it into the new privacy filters they are implementing on the test realm.

It is not my intent to remove social interaction from Wizard101. Far from it. I simply feel that given the dramatic variation in player age we ought to be able to choose who does and does not enter our duels.

Galen Titanbane

Defender
May 15, 2009
Maybe they don't see what's wrong with that; it's your obligation to teach them, enhancing the experience for all.

The "auto-lock encounter" idea has been suggested before. Its not a good idea with this game's design; it would kill resource availability. You wouldn't want trash monsters to have a line like the Kraken do you? This, I believe, would suck up more time than the occasional inferior teammate.

Besides...it makes for an exciting break from the ordinary. :D

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
I know the feeling. I've gotten used to using two particular spells, a trap and a, hmm...what is that called? I've just been calling them buffs. Anyways, combined, they buff my Necromancer attacks by 70%. Then some guy comes along and says to himself, "Oh, cool, look, a trap!" and uses it and I'm like, "-_- Thanks, I didn't just spend two or three turns saving pips and casting those traps and buffs and waiting for the right attack to come up, no problem."

This just happened to me tonight, actually. I set myself up and then bam...some guy several levels beneath me uses my trap to cast a little pixie thing and does less than 100 damage. I can do like 510, that was such a waste. >.<

Defender
May 06, 2009
Elenaya wrote:

Well there will be a new feature to allow you to prevent your "friends" from just porting to you and joining your battle, which has been a hot topic on these boards for a while and I think would resove most of the players issues. The problem your stating I had happen to me in dragon spire, had some one with only menu chat use a wand which took my life to death convert and all of my other traps i had up. Needless to say I was extreamly upset but there was nothing I could do. I tried saying NO, and timer ran out before I could actually try and tell the character use death or something else to attack the mob. The mob was a "boss" type of mob but in an open area and not an instance so unfortunatly this sort of thing can happen to anyone.

Survivor
Apr 04, 2009
Elenaya wrote:

While it makes a lot of sense to me to allow people to turn off the option of having people teleport to them at certain times, it strikes me as being a bit against the purpose of a MMORPG to "privatize" a public battle. Other "real people" are playing in the same world as us, and part of the game is dealing with that fact - as annoying as it sometimes might be.

If you want to run on your own with a minimum of outsdie intereference, I would suggest switching to one of the less populated realms as soon as you sign on. {That's what I do when I feel like truly going solo}. But - hey - if someone still "jumps in" even then, I would recommend just considering it part of the game.

Defender
May 06, 2009
Macto wrote:
I understand that many of these wizards are younger players who may not be able to grasp the undercurrents of Wizard101 courtesy. However, I am still of the opinion that a duel lock would be a great idea. If the children are unable to understand the situation, then, like any good parent, we ought to be able to provide guidance.

While I would agree with this in general, please tell me how I can "teach" someone that only has menu chat? These types of accounts have been the ones that caused me the most grief. I am sure they don't mean to really, it is just there is NO way for me to communicate with them other then trying to say. No, or use <insert type of attack> on <foe>. Neither of which really helps me teach now do they?

Anyways I am really happy for the new feature, it will stop the lions share of the problem. I have only a few issues with folks in the appropriate zone for their level doing silly things (example using a life wand to take off all of my life buffs and my life to death convert) simply because by the time they got there, they learned that they need to use buffs (traps and blades) themselves.

Defender
Aug 01, 2008
I'll be glad to see new protective features. Then those who don't mind extra help or porting can still get friends and those of us who are looking to solo can have some privacy.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
I tend to play late at night to get rid of those things happening.
I usually get on around 11pm EST & play until around 4am EST, not many people on, especially kids.
Now if it's the weekend, that's a different story.

Explorer
Jan 07, 2009
I hate it when a person joins your fight, then flees and leaves you with 1 or 2 extra monsters to defeat. Like someone said, 'hit and run' people on the loose again. -.-

I AM a child, just so you know. Lol.... but I hate it. Once I was dueling a boss, solo, and then my lvl 12 friend ported to me. I just put a trap on that monster, and I was planning to use a Judgement on it. It was a Feint, so it could be any next spell. I didn't want him to blow this, mainly because I had 7 pips, 4 of them Power Pips. I knew I could do a lotta damage. He had Text Chat, so when he ported I TOLD HIM to not attack that monster; but he did. He attacked it with a Thunder Snake and did something like below 200 damage, but I could have done like over 1,000, maybe more. Maybe we could block certain people from porting to us, and also put an option on a battle that disallows the people from the battle to flee unless defeated and disallow any other people from joining. Also, when a person flees, the monster could flee as well, giving you less monsters to defeat.

And I would LOVE it if we could have an option to run along the streets without creating a battle by a prowling monster. It drives me NUTS in Marleybone when I run into a monster on a rooftop. Because of that, I've been stuck on Dr. Katzenstein's Lab for over 2, YES 2, months now.

Above all, I totally agree with you.

Defender
May 28, 2009
I usually call the "Port-And-Flee"ers Paffers. Q: Why did we get a new monster? A: We had a Paffer. Of course this is not available in filtered chat.
As for the battle joining issue I would have to say that I can't agree that it would be beneficial to anyone other than people who want to solo the game. And in that case I would suggest you do what previous posters have suggested (log on late, change realms, play instance levels, delete everyone from your friends list, all of the above, etc.). If there is one character global switch that stops anyone from entering one of your battles then you would be out of luck if you ever needed help. If you were able to turn it on and off in battle then it might be more helpful. BUT, what if you decided to go questing with a friend? Do you have it on until you are both in the battle and then turn it off really fast before anyone else jumps in and then turn it back on again when the battle is over? What if you have it off and your friend has it on? Who wins? Also, it doesn't sound like you have ever had someone standing in the middle of your battle running around acting goofy and spamming your chat box. Believe me, if you had this feature turned on, sooner or later you would have someone standing in the middle of you dueling ring demanding that you turn the feature off so they could join your battle because they also need that kind of mob. Just my two cents. Okay maybe it was more like ten cents, I'm long winded I can't help it.

Survivor
Jun 15, 2009
There's only so many spots to do battle.
The inconvenience is miniscule compared to the insane competition it would create for resources.

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
Resetti123 wrote:
Once I was dueling a boss, solo, and then my lvl 12 friend ported to me. I just put a trap on that monster, and I was planning to use a Judgement on it. It was a Feint, so it could be any next spell. I didn't want him to blow this, mainly because I had 7 pips, 4 of them Power Pips. I knew I could do a lotta damage. He had Text Chat, so when he ported I TOLD HIM to not attack that monster; but he did. He attacked it with a Thunder Snake and did something like below 200 damage, but I could have done like over 1,000, maybe more. Maybe we could block certain people from porting to us, and also put an option on a battle that disallows the people from the battle to flee unless defeated and disallow any other people from joining. Also, when a person flees, the monster could flee as well, giving you less monsters to defeat.

I've had people warp to me too and I don't understand why. Can they see where I am and what I'm doing? I mean...two or three did it...that's kinda a lot especially when I didn't say, "Hey, guys, I'm going into a boss battle, wanna help?" So there I am, mid-battle, and one warps in. I thought, "Okay, cool, whatever, more help." Then another showed up and I was pretty surprised. A short while after that, I believe a third showed up and then I was like, "Okay, seriously, what's going on?" It sort of irritated me because I'd killed the monster that had been with the boss and started on the boss itself and it seemed like crud to me that they'd get credit for the kill too when I essentially did all the work. -_-

Someone else on here said that they deleted lower levels so that couldn't happen but can you see their levels on your list? I didn't know you could do that or can you only see them when they're online? If so, I might pluck a few out. I'm like level 16 or 17 now and I don't really wants 10's and 5's and what have you popping in on me...not to be mean or anything but really, that's kinda unfair to me. I'll help people but just assuming that's what I'm here for is rude and takes the fun away for me.

Defender
Nov 05, 2008
Macto wrote:
Elenaya wrote:

Sadly, this has been an ongoing concern for many wizards. Similar to what you have mentioned, I have also seen others jump into your duel, wait for another monster to add, and then flee... thus leaving you with an extra monster to take care of. I unaffectionately refer to these jokers as the "hit and run" wizards. You also get the wizards who pop in and then run AFK or something for the duration of the battle forcing you to wait the full 30 seconds each turn and do all the work.

I understand that many of these wizards are younger players who may not be able to grasp the undercurrents of Wizard101 courtesy. However, I am still of the opinion that a duel lock would be a great idea. If the children are unable to understand the situation, then, like any good parent, we ought to be able to provide guidance. This not only helps with the younger players but will also help reduce the intentional incidents of griefing. Though by saying this I often open a can of worms and another debate ensues :(

There are valid points on both sides of the argument. However, I still believe it would be great to get a message box when somebody tries to crash your duel asking you whether or not you want to allow them in. As you suggested, certain bosses ought to be a free-for-all and they could maybe tie it into the new privacy filters they are implementing on the test realm.

It is not my intent to remove social interaction from Wizard101. Far from it. I simply feel that given the dramatic variation in player age we ought to be able to choose who does and does not enter our duels.

Galen Titanbane

amen
we need the same type of pop up window we get for friend request for battle joiners. i think it was great that ki let the little ones who want to port and flee know what world they are getting a free ride to but shouldn't we the one being ported to have the option to say no thank you?