Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Evil Rooftops

AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 09, 2009
Well I am fresh out of KT and on Hyde Park in MB. So far, I absolutly hate MB.

First of all, the whole rooftop streets thing irritates me. The other day I almost ran into a cat. I backed up, however I was trapped into a battle. I was further away from it than when I almost ran into it! Also almost every time I am on the roof, I get caught in a battle when I am about 6 steps away. This is very aggrivating and time consuming to fight when you don't need to.

Secondly I think it should be on the ground. In every other world, battles are on the ground and they have 'streets' going from place to place. In MB, the roof 'sidewalk' can get thin and it leaves you a target for the O'Leary Gang. As I said before, it gets aggrivating and time consuming. Also Hyde Park isn't even a park.

My aggrivated thoughts,

Marcus Legendcrafter, LVL 30 :-D, LIFE storm

Administrator
On rooftops, the edges are not the safest, but the middle of the roof is where you need to be. Try running down the middle of the roof to avoid prowling cats and other creatures.

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Mastermind
Oct 17, 2008
The middle is safe, Gamma, until you get farther in Marleybone... The the enemies begin taking odd paterns, crossing the streets in random places and circling around. You just have to watch them I guess, and wait to see what their next move will be. Then you can predict where they will go and avoid them.

Explorer
Jan 07, 2009
I hate MB too, but managed to survive it all the way up to the Lab.

Here are some tips:

1. Instead of the edges of the rooftops, try the middle instead.

2. Try to 'follow' monsters to avoid running into them. If they change directions, run in the opposite direction or, if it's possible, to the nearest safest exit.

3. As you know, fleeing in a battle costs all your current mana. Instead of fleeing, try these simple steps:

*When you get pulled into a battle, press Esc.
*Click quit.
*Wait a few seconds, then log back in.
*Press the forward or backward button quickly to avoid getting pulled into a fight again!
*This has saved me many times from the rooftops of Marleybone, and it doesn't cost a single drop of mana.

Good luck in MB!

Scarlet HawkHeart
Lvl 31 Magus Sorcerer

Explorer
May 09, 2009
Defender
Aug 01, 2008
I didn't enjoy Marleybone either. But what others have said is all good.
Also, the small planks that look like ramps to nowhere on roof edges seem to be "safe spots".
Try not to run too fast. Too often that is when I run into monsters as they just pop up. It does take longer to get from place to place, but slowing down some and paying more attention to the travel pattern of the monsters helped me a lot.

Survivor
May 09, 2009
I never knew that about the esc and logging back in, Scarlett. Thanks for that tip. It will help me and my son immensely!

S. Winterwalker
Magus Thaumaturge

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
I for one love MB. The seeming randomness is a plus for me it makes you think and that is what I love about this game.

As for the ESC thing. That sounds alot like an exploit to me. Yeah the duels can get long and really get long when you have others jump in sometimes at the end and bring more cats but thats just part of the game, enjoy it.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
Oh my, Do I HATE Marleybone Rooftops....it is so frustrating. You get sucked into a battle, then while trying to run away to get to your destination, you get sucked back in again, over and over! Why cant the admin make a safe spot to run on these rooftops! There is safe spots to run in the other few worlds I have been to! I cannnot stress it enough how upsetting and frustrating it is! I find myself freeking out and walking away from the game every single time!! Please create safe spots, I emplore you!!!

Survivor
Jun 25, 2009
TamsterTheWizard wrote:
Oh my, Do I HATE Marleybone Rooftops....it is so frustrating. You get sucked into a battle, then while trying to run away to get to your destination, you get sucked back in again, over and over! Why cant the admin make a safe spot to run on these rooftops! There is safe spots to run in the other few worlds I have been to! I cannnot stress it enough how upsetting and frustrating it is! I find myself freeking out and walking away from the game every single time!! Please create safe spots, I emplore you!!!

This is one particular gripe that I can agree with. Lets face it, MB without question is one of the most frustrating area's of the spiral to get around in. I honestly believe that there needs to be an extension in the time in which one is invisible/safe after a battle has ended. I mean, think about it...you just get finished with a 2vs.1 battle, chances are you are by no means going to have full life when finished, so it makes no sense to not allow more time directly after a fight to reach an area that is not in the path of the enemy. The current allowance time, is by no means enough...and this is especially true when discussing MB. I say, simply lengthen the invisible/safe time another 5 or so seconds.

You have to also take into account that once a battle ends, due to all the camera angle shifts throughout the battle, that there are those who will get confused as to which way they were going before the battle began as well, and if you accidentally rotate your guy, instead of just rotating the camera in an attempt to figure out where you are again exactly, while also attempting to figure out what is around you, that one little accidental movement of your character pretty much puts you into a position where you better move anywhere as fast as ya can, because your safety time is now less than it would have been, if you just rotated the camera, as intended, instead...and in MB a fair percentage of the time, that one little slip will usually put you right back into another 2vs1 battle.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
Broooklyn wrote:
TamsterTheWizard wrote:

This is one particular gripe that I can agree with. Lets face it, MB without question is one of the most frustrating area's of the spiral to get around in. I honestly believe that there needs to be an extension in the time in which one is invisible/safe after a battle has ended. I mean, think about it...you just get finished with a 2vs.1 battle, chances are you are by no means going to have full life when finished, so it makes no sense to not allow more time directly after a fight to reach an area that is not in the path of the enemy. The current allowance time, is by no means enough...and this is especially true when discussing MB. I say, simply lengthen the invisible/safe time another 5 or so seconds.

You have to also take into account that once a battle ends, due to all the camera angle shifts throughout the battle, that there are those who will get confused as to which way they were going before the battle began as well, and if you accidentally rotate your guy, instead of just rotating the camera in an attempt to figure out where you are again exactly, while also attempting to figure out what is around you, that one little accidental movement of your character pretty much puts you into a position where you better move anywhere as fast as ya can, because your safety time is now less than it would have been, if you just rotated the camera, as intended, instead...and in MB a fair percentage of the time, that one little slip will usually put you right back into another 2vs1 battle.

You said it, It has happend to me over and over again. Thinking I was running away where I was supposed to go when in fact I was all turned around after a battle. And of Course I ge sucked back in like you said with very little life left , most of the time I am forced to flee and forced to start all over again. It's maddening to say the least!

Explorer
Jan 07, 2009
Scrunch8778 wrote:
I never knew that about the esc and logging back in, Scarlett. Thanks for that tip. It will help me and my son immensely!

S. Winterwalker
Magus Thaumaturge

You're welcome! Also Rho, Hyde Park is named after the Hyde Park in London. Marleybone's theme is England if that makes more sense. :-)

Scarlet HawkHeart
Lvl 32 (Gained a lvl! :-D) Magus Sorcerer

Survivor
May 22, 2009
Yes just like everyone said, stay in the middle and also follow enemies to me is not very smart because I use to do it. Well if you need help I am on sever satyr most the time, oh one more thing I also HATE marleybone !

See you in the spiral,
Jeffrey Deathcaster
Level 30, magus wizard!

Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
Gamma wrote:
On rooftops, the edges are not the safest, but the middle of the roof is where you need to be. Try running down the middle of the roof to avoid prowling cats and other creatures.

I would like someone on staff to answer why the villians can cast 3 pip spells with one pip and the players cannot. Also why the player has a higher fizzle rate. I know this is an accurate statement since I've been keeping a log since I got to Marleybone and had so many fights. Thank you.

Survivor
May 02, 2009

Boy, do I agree with all of you! I absolutley posetivley HATE MB I think I would like MB WAYYYYY better if it actually had normal safe spots and sidewalks MB with no sidewalks has gotten all my friends to just give up and quit. I had a lot of friends playing this game too and now because of MB I am the only one left. :-( I guess I can say I CANT WAIT TO GET INTO MOOSHU!! :-) I do have a question though. What level do you have to be to get out of Marleybone? Admin. PLEASE do something about the MB no sidewalks thing. You will be seeing me around the message boards!

P.S Happy B-Day Kingsisle!

Evan FireEyes
Death Wizard
Lev. 32

Survivor
Aug 07, 2009
DoubleX106 wrote:

Boy, do I agree with all of you! I absolutley posetivley HATE MB I think I would like MB WAYYYYY better if it actually had normal safe spots and sidewalks MB with no sidewalks has gotten all my friends to just give up and quit. I had a lot of friends playing this game too and now because of MB I am the only one left. :-( I guess I can say I CANT WAIT TO GET INTO MOOSHU!! :-) I do have a question though. What level do you have to be to get out of Marleybone? Admin. PLEASE do something about the MB no sidewalks thing. You will be seeing me around the message boards!

P.S Happy B-Day Kingsisle!

Evan FireEyes
Death Wizard
Lev. 32

It's even worse now!! Since the last update they have moved the monsters halfway to the middle of the roof bridges so instead of walking up and down the wood planks which most used to do, they now climb the wire mesh so there is no where safe now!!