Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I'm a newbie Life Wizard with questions.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 20, 2009

Hello all. I've come to you today to ask a few questions.
I'm pretty new. I joined two days ago. So I don't know
much and I have a lot of questions. But I'll spare you the
bombardment and limit my questions to my three main
concerns and confusions. I play a Life Wizard with Stormas my
secondary school. My initial idea was these two because I
wanted to be able to heal people and be able to dish out
the high damage of storm. But now that I've become
level 10, I wonder if I have made unwise and inexperienced choices.

I chose Life, because I wanted to able to heal and be
an asset to any group. I am quite happy with that choice.
Though I'm concerned that it could have been better.I had assumed
that "only" Life Wizards could use healing spells on others.
Though now I'm not quite sure, and need a confirmation.
If it is so, then I'm sure I chose the best Primary school for me.

My second issue is that I'm not completely sure that
I made a wise choice by choosing Storm as my Secondary
school. I do love storm spells, with their high damage yet
lower hit rate. But I wonder, could I have chosen a better
companion for Life to draw my damaging spells from? If anyone
could share their experiences or opinions on the matter,
it would be greatly appreciated.

My final question involves something a read on these forums.
I read about how one could obtain a minion, and not be of
the myth school. Whats that all about? What schools get them,
and at what level? If Life students get one, what does it do?
Heal? And is it any good? Any extra information on the
subject is appreciated.

I apologize for all my questions, though I am a newbie after
all. Thank you in advance all who reply. Your help is greatly
appreciated. =D

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
Life is a good school to join groups and heal. All of your healing spells work on others, and do more healing.

You will get a minion in a few more levels. Some like the minion, some have problems, it will depend on your style of play.

As for Storm. Hmmm. Good damage, bad accuracy. I'd buy up to the bat, but after that the cost is too great. You should get your trap spell and you will be close to the average school damage.

I like death as a 2nd as you can get Feint eventually, and the 70% makes even life damaging spells kick a foe around...

Defender
Dec 31, 2008
I had a life/storm wizard for a while (up to about level 15) and liked the combination quite well, for exactly the reasons you said. (I decided at some point I had too many wizards and deleted the junior ones, not because there was anything wrong with her.) Since I also have storm second on my ice wizard (now lvl 47), though, I can offer a few thoughts. First, no matter what secondary school you choose, don't go past the 4-pip attack spell in it unless there is some non-attack card (such as feint in death school) that you really want. The reason? At higher levels, your power pip percentage will get quite high, and you will get better damage per pip out of your own school spells than the high-pip attacks of your second school.

Second, there are advantages to having your second school be from the same triad (storm-ice-fire or life-myth-death) as your primary. Once you get to Krokotopia, you can learn triple blades and triple traps (both of which make your attacks stronger) from Niles the Balance Tree. If your two schools are from the same triad, they will both benefit from a single triple blade or triple trap. If you stay with life and storm, which are from different triads, you miss out on this benefit and it will be costly to try to strengthen both schools of spell in one battle.

Some other schools have one or two ways to heal teammates, and anyone can use treasure cards to heal friends or buy special gear that gives healing cards, but if helping your team is something you enjoy and are looking forward to, life gives you far more ability in this area than the others. Balance is the only other school that can compete for sheer helpfulness.

I hope this helps!

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
I have a Life/Fire myself because I feel that Fire gives some good damage and you also get the Fire Elf which helps to whittle down the enemies health enought to put Life Trap on and use Nature's Wraith on them and also because you get the high damage Meteor Strike from Fire at level 22. Besides having 2 schools from differentTriads means you get shields for both the Elemental and the Soul Triads. If skill points want to be wasted on getting all the Traps from Niles before you get the blades than that is up to you. You dont get access to all of the Balance Tree blades until level 25 but even then you need to get all of the traps before the blades and if you already have the traps for your 2 schools getting the other traps is pointless if your soloing at times or your balance.

Survivor
May 20, 2009
Thanks for the responses. Now I'm understanding a bit more.
Though I dont understand, what this feint thing you are talking about. What exactly is it and Why don't I see it on the learnable death spells list? Is there a list of other spells that I cant see at the moment? How can I find it in case I decide to redo my secondary school?

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
I have 2 life wizards. The first is a level 50 Life/Myth. I had fun with her, and it was a learning experience.

This time (and yes, I still have my grandmaster life), I'm doing Life, but am not commiting to a secondary school. I read a post on here, and thought hey, why not, I'll give it a try. So what I did was get Ice up until the 50% damage shield (where you get hit for 50% less). Then I have switched to death, and will go up to feint. Then will look around, and see if there are others I want to get, such as some of the Balance cards available in Krokotopia from that tree. More balanced for me, as I found myself on my life/myth discarding a lot of my myth cards on a regular basis. I just have this thing about using my power pips for non-school cards :-)

As for the minion. I had mixed results. It is a sprite, and it heals. Tends to heal itself a lot, in my experience, which was aggravating at times. But then other times I'd get one that was constantly healing me, or another person getting hit. It's not constant, that's for sure. I think the only thing constant in my experience was it not healing me :-) It did once in a while, but not often. I wish there was a way to change that, maybe for it to heal the person who has the most percentage of health lost?

Obviously I enjoy Life. You get a bit more hitpoints than most other classes, can heal yourself and others, and still do damage to the monsters.

Defender
Feb 07, 2009
Life and Death are the only schools with a healing spell. Death gets Sacrifice, just to prove my point. I takes 250 damage to deal 700 health and takes 3 pips to use.

Survivor
Mar 02, 2009
There's been lots of good advice already but I just thought I'd add that I"m a level 35 Life wizard with Storm as my second school and Balance as my third and I love that combination. I get the healing benefits of life, and by the way Life spells have very high accuracy, and the power of Storm. Balance is a great third for me because those spells are more immune to blocking from defensive shields and you also get Weakness, which is a great spell to have on hand.

As for the minion, ditto what's been said. I think in the minion department Life gets a bit of a raw deal, but if they could just tweak it a bit so it heals other players more and doesn't waste spells on itself so much of the time, it would be a real asset. Every once in a while it will send me a Satyr, and I get 820 life! I'm finding as I fight the longer battles now the minion is more helpful, since over time it uses some helpful spells.

Survivor
Feb 08, 2009
HI, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I am also a life master with storm as my second school. We do have the option to get back our training points and go for another school. And believe me I have 3 times in one hour, I kept changing my mind. But I went back and have kept my storm school. Yeah it fizzles alot more than say your life school. But with my wizard, I have a lot of items that help with my accuacy and my damage so i actually don't fizzle on storm like I did in the begining. I Love storm its great. I love being able to do most of my quest by myself because I do have a powerful storm school and still am able to heal myself. As for my minion, I love her she is great in a pinch. She has saved my butt a million and one times. I am lvl 47 and have started my third school of fire.

So my advise is to do what you think is best and if you find out down the road that you don't like storm you can always change it by selling back your cards for your points back (pretty pricy)

Life is great stick with it because you get some great attack spells too. They may not be great in damage but combined them with element shields and your own plus 40 life shield and then a element trap on the bad guy i can get my life spell up to 2000 damage easy.

The feint card puts damage on both you and the bad guy but it works great with other combined traps and blade cards. I think you can find it in the death school that is under ground but I am not sure.

Hope I helped

Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
1: if you like life as your primary then go with it if you do not then change it, its up to you , ask yourself do i like this school. think of the advantages and disadvantages. becuase once you make your decision your gonna have to stick with it for a long time

2:storm was a good pick but you could of been better. i know it has really high attack i mean high but also it has a high fizzle rate ( mostly 70%) so like if you say use an attack 5 times 2 out of 5 times its gonna work. but just like #1 its up to you

3: you can obtain minions by some quest then you can also get minions by some quest. then ofcourse you can buy it ( gold or crowns) so use your gold or crowns wisely

Explorer
May 09, 2009
Life Postives:
*Can heal self and others even at a low level
*Can hit without many fizzles
*Can solo by healing
*Gets their 6 pip spell at level 33
*Can block attacks at level 16 with Spirit Armor
*Gets a minion that almost only heals ( attacks with imp ) at level 18
*High health

Life Negatives:
*Not very many attacks
*Not very strong attacks

Life has alot of posotives and few negatives. You chose a good school. I think you chose a good secondary also. Despite the low accuracy storm can take out enemies quickly when you are in a crunch. I think Life/Storm well balances. You get the power of storm with the health and healing of Life. The minion is called a Forest Sprite. It uses Sprite often with some Pixies and a hint of Satyr. It attacks with Imp.

Life Spell List:

Dryad
Minor Blessing
Life Prisim
Life Blade
Guiding Light
Legend shield
Imp
Fairy
Sanctuary
Unicorn
Nature's Wrath
Leprechaun
Sprite
Spirit Armor
Seraph
Satyr
Sprite Guardian
Regenerate
Centaur
Rebirth

From secret trainers:
Life shield
Life trap
Calm
Drain Health

I think that's as much as I can give you on Life School.

Hope this helped and good luck!

-Marcus Legendcrafter LVL 37 LIFE Storm
-Talon Mythcrafter LVL 13 MYTH Death

P.S. All schools get at least one minion. Death gets 14 with one spell (depending on the pips) and Myth gets 4 (?) different minions in 4 (?) spells, Balance gets 6 (?) in 2 (?) spells, and every other school gets 1.

P.S.S. Feint is a death spell that gives an opponent a 70% attack boost and gives you one also. Malistaire hid the Death school behind the Rainbow Waterfall in the Wizard City commons. You need to finish the three streets off of olde town to gain access there.

Explorer
May 09, 2009
munkeyboy54 wrote:
1: if you like life as your primary then go with it if you do not then change it, its up to you , ask yourself do i like this school. think of the advantages and disadvantages. becuase once you make your decision your gonna have to stick with it for a long time

2:storm was a good pick but you could of been better. i know it has really high attack i mean high but also it has a high fizzle rate ( mostly 70%) so like if you say use an attack 5 times 2 out of 5 times its gonna work. but just like #1 its up to you

3: you can obtain minions by some quest then you can also get minions by some quest. then ofcourse you can buy it ( gold or crowns) so use your gold or crowns wisely

1. You can't change a primary

2. 2/5=40% not 70%

3.You cant buy minions.

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
Xentu wrote:

Hello all. I've come to you today to ask a few questions.
I'm pretty new. I joined two days ago. So I don't know
much and I have a lot of questions. But I'll spare you the
bombardment and limit my questions to my three main
concerns and confusions. I play a Life Wizard with Stormas my
secondary school. My initial idea was these two because I
wanted to be able to heal people and be able to dish out
the high damage of storm. But now that I've become
level 10, I wonder if I have made unwise and inexperienced choices.

I chose Life, because I wanted to able to heal and be
an asset to any group. I am quite happy with that choice.
Though I'm concerned that it could have been better.I had assumed
that "only" Life Wizards could use healing spells on others.
Though now I'm not quite sure, and need a confirmation.
If it is so, then I'm sure I chose the best Primary school for me.

My second issue is that I'm not completely sure that
I made a wise choice by choosing Storm as my Secondary
school. I do love storm spells, with their high damage yet
lower hit rate. But I wonder, could I have chosen a better
companion for Life to draw my damaging spells from? If anyone
could share their experiences or opinions on the matter,
it would be greatly appreciated.

My final question involves something a read on these forums.
I read about how one could obtain a minion, and not be of
the myth school. Whats that all about? What schools get them,
and at what level? If Life students get one, what does it do?
Heal? And is it any good? Any extra information on the
subject is appreciated.

I apologize for all my questions, though I am a newbie after
all. Thank you in advance all who reply. Your help is greatly
appreciated. =D

1) Life is a great choice. If you see someone healing another person and they are NOT life student then they're studying life.

2) Storm is my second school as well (Life being my first) It is a great choice. Yes it has a low hit rate but there is a spell for life students that increases accuracy by 10%. You can use that then use a storm spell.

3) You get the minion at level 17. When you become that level go see Moolinda Wu she will give you a quest where you'll get the card for the minion. The main thing this minion does is heal but once in a while it'll throw the Imp spell. I find it helpful because it heals you throughout your match.

Survivor
Jun 24, 2009
I can't emphasize enough how good the combination of the early poster works.

Life Primary
1) Ice to Tower Shield (5 points)
2) Spirit Blade/Trap from Balance Tree in Krokotopia (2 points)
3) Death to Feint (6 points)

This combination spends 13 points. You actually get 17 points from the main game and 1 point from Grizzleheim. I would probably go with Balance to Weakness to spend 3 of those points (but not until you've finished the other parts above). Also if you don't mind lacking a bit of defensive ability early on you could swap step 1 and 3 - you'd have a lot more offense then in the early going as well as having the handy ability to have your attacks heal you. You'd also benefit from the spirit blade/trap's double-dipping in life/death for many more levels.

Either way you go you're going to end up with a very nice character that is a strong asset in a group. With Feint it can also help if you position yourself first or second in the group (second if there's an ice wizard or someone else taunting) and then watch what your teammates are doing. With the attack spells you'll have in life it can often be better to toss Feint on for your teammates' attacks than for your own and if you see them casting a powerful attack you can put your feint on that same round if you're in front of them.