Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Subscriber Benefits

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 14, 2009

There seems to be little reason to be a subscriber over a crowns player at the moment. Aside from free ranked PVP there are no perks. And not everyone even pvps. Especially now that crown players have access to the test server and the release of gift cards with cool pets.
Just a few more bells and whistles would be nice. I was thinking maybe subscribers would get 100 crowns a month. Or maybe institute a longterm susbcriber perks system like City Of Heroes has where after a set amount of months you get special rewards like unique pets.
It shouldn't be too amazing of course to be unfair to crowns players, but as a subscriber right now I'm struggling to justify it over just buying zones and owning them with crowns.

Defender
Nov 05, 2008
LordMarshal wrote:

There seems to be little reason to be a subscriber over a crowns player at the moment. Aside from free ranked PVP there are no perks. And not everyone even pvps. Especially now that crown players have access to the test server and the release of gift cards with cool pets.
Just a few more bells and whistles would be nice. I was thinking maybe subscribers would get 100 crowns a month. Or maybe institute a longterm susbcriber perks system like City Of Heroes has where after a set amount of months you get special rewards like unique pets.
It shouldn't be too amazing of course to be unfair to crowns players, but as a subscriber right now I'm struggling to justify it over just buying zones and owning them with crowns.

i agree i paid for a year and now i wonder why i did not just spend my money on zones to have for life instead of unlimeted for a year

Explorer
Apr 17, 2009
I would also have to agree on this one. Myself I have a subscription, but hay what benefit do I get. I have no ambition to PvP at all. I could not care if it was a limited edition pet, a monthly crown allowance or something else exclusive to subscriptions. A friend of mine is subscription, but he will not be for long. He is going to get one of the cards so he can have the pig pet for its resistance to all schools. K.I., If you are reading this, please have some sympathy for us loyal subscribers and balance us out to match the cards (somehow).

Just my two cents.

Valkoor Titanwraith
Grandmaster Necromancer
Soloed Kensington Park

Defender
Feb 18, 2009
I too would have to agree, I signed up for a full year but wish I would of spent that money on the buying of the zones instead. Yes, there's two benefits of being subscribers (Unlimited PVP, and full access to the Test Realm) but like it's been said up above, when it comes down to it, it's not much of a "Special Deal" for being a subscriber is it.

I agree that there should be more perks or at the very least, some balancing but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what KI will come up with next.

Hunter SilverHeart

Defender
Dec 11, 2008
Someone from KI needs to respond to this thread.

My family acct is about to roll over for the month, but if there is no benefit to being a subscriber I am planning on canceling it and going with crowns only. Last month, the card I had on file was 20 cents short and as a result I could only play the starter area with one of my accts. Had I paid been paying with Crowns though, there would have been no problem.

Am I right in thinking that once paid for with crowns that it is yours forever? If so, then I feel like I am not getting the most for my money. I agree that subscribers should be rewarded with something each month.

At the least, I'm thinking I need to just take my card off file and pay with gift cards each month so I will at least be getting something extra for my cash.

Survivor
Mar 04, 2009
Mastermind
Oct 17, 2008
Well, Crown players can't post on the message boards, no matter how much they pay. And they can't have true friend codes, and they can't get text chat younger than 13.

But I do agree. Crown players can buy basically anything Subscribers can forever. I have considered switching to Crowns for a while, but for now I'm sticking with subscribing.

Defender
Dec 11, 2008
Well, I'm over 13 so that's not a benefit that works for me. I do like to post on the message board, but as KI points out there are many fan sites to post on - so that's not a big benefit since I can still read the posts here to get info. True friend codes work iffy at best, I usually end up having to talk to the person in real life and set up a meeting place to add them - since they are my true friend, it isn;t hard to do that.

We looked over the costs of each area last night and did decide to stick with subscribing. Because there are two of us and at the rate we have went through the worlds (One on DS and one on the last few quests of MooShu), it wouldn;t make sense at this point to go back and pay for all the areas we have been through because we would have to pay twice for them (for each acct). But if I had a single acct and was just starting out, I would definitly go the crown route. So our plan at this point is to keep playing until we run out of worlds and then unsubscribe until the new worlds are in place.

I would still like to see an in-game benefit for subscribers - besides free PVP. I played my first ranked PVP last night and it was horrible. I am done with it. The people we played against whined the entire battle calling us NOOBS and telling us we weren't as good as them and shouldn't be playing. Of course we beat them, so I enjoyed that at least. But overall, the experience the worst I've had in this game. It certainly wasn't worth 10 tickets considering how many tickets I need to buy something. No way I'm goign through that over and over again to get a rug for my house.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I agree that subscribers should have more benefits. The idea of a 100 crowns a month is a good one too. I was thinking that subscribers once they reach level 20 in should be allowed to wear up to 4 rings as earned, 2 swords, and maybe 2 amulets. This would help the wizards be able to increase their own power. Some of us don't have many or even any friends that will help them in combat. It would give the wizards a chance to even out their strength with their foe. Especially when we are fighting alone against 2 of the enemy or a high ranking boss. Maybe even allowing their pets to fight as well.

Explorer
Mar 14, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:
I agree that subscribers should have more benefits. The idea of a 100 crowns a month is a good one too. I was thinking that subscribers once they reach level 20 in should be allowed to wear up to 4 rings as earned, 2 swords, and maybe 2 amulets. This would help the wizards be able to increase their own power. Some of us don't have many or even any friends that will help them in combat. It would give the wizards a chance to even out their strength with their foe. Especially when we are fighting alone against 2 of the enemy or a high ranking boss. Maybe even allowing their pets to fight as well.

Double rings or something similar sounds interesting, but it would be too overpowering compared to crowns players. The trick is to find something good to give subscribers that wouldn't give them a huge edge over crowns players or be otherwise unfair.
Just a few cool perks and bells and whistles to round out subscriptions would be nice. The crowns per month would fit the bill plus it would have the added bonus of getting people used to the crown system and more inclined to use it if they already have some free crowns.
Theres other stuff that could be done I'm sure but I'm not creative enough to think of them.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
Discounts when buying in the shopping districts?
Premimum for selling goods for coins?
A small % bonus on XP?
Extra quests?
Anniversary items to celebrate after a full year of being a subscriber?

Survivor
Aug 22, 2008
Right now I am a subscriber. Quite frankly I'm thinking of switching to a crowns user. First off I would never have to worry about a monthly bill. That can really add up over time. Second with those new cards I could end up with a cool pet. Third there is no advantage to being a subscriber. The only reason I pvp is because I have nothing better to do with my grandmaster.

Survivor
Feb 20, 2009
Well, I tend to disagree with all of you. I started out as a crowns player and blew threw $10.00 in crowns in 8 days. I only spent those crowns on opening up new areas. At that rate I would have thrown down some big bucks fast. I couldn't justify doing it, so I went ahead and suscribed.

I don't think their needs to be many advantages to being a member. The options of crowns vs. subscriptins gives everyone the option to decide what is the best way for them to spend their money.

Defender
Feb 18, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:

I agree with these ideas whole heartedly. I almost have a full friends list but you'd be surprised how many times I have found myself not being able to find anyone that can help me when I need it by the means of them either not being online or not available.

I too agree that we should get or have some of the advantages listed above but to keep it fair for others, how about you only being able to have the one set of items like we do now for the PVP. Other than that, I don't see where or how multiple rings or necklaces would hurt a fellow wizards chances. I mean, why not? We're subscribers and will have to make the decision to repurchase our subscription at the end of the year to where Crowns buyers won't. So in the long run, Subscribers pay more.

Just my thoughts Professors,

Hunter SilverHeart