Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My Thoughts on Second and Third Schools

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 10, 2009
OK bare with me here... I am on my second wizard, a level 34 Fire/Ice Wizard. My first character is a GrandMaster Life/Myth. The one thing that has held true so far through both wizards is that by the time you are as early as Krokotopia, my second school has been absolutely USELESS. I will explain why atleast from my thinking and i would LOVE to have input from level 30+ wizards on this subject. Perfect example here: Let's say you are fighting 2 or 3 mobs of your same school and your secondary school is your opposite. For this example i will use fire vs fire. WHY would i want to use my ice spells against them when i can use power pips, my prisms, a fire blade, and BANG a meteor and they are gone in four rounds. Your attack will still be boosted because of the prism, AND i have fire attack boosting clothes, AND i can use power pips. Perhaps i am overlooking something? but for me, past Wizard City i have used nothing but my primary school. I would love to have everyone's thoughts on this. I simply think that when you are approaching 30% power pip chance and start getting them fairly regularly atleast for me my secondary school is null and void. I stopped learning ice spells at Ice Wyvern and am saving for a few storm spells mainly because of my elemental blade :-) Side Note: picking all elementals for your schools may not be the smartest thing because you dont get spirit school shields unless you buy treasure cards.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
I like using the 'triple' traps or blades from Niles, and I hate wasting them :-) So if I am running a Death school, I pack one life/myth spell (usually on an item) and carry a life/myth wand. I get a free boost to a wand spell and an item spell...and at around 50% power pip chance I end up with enough normal pips that a cyclopes (boosted 7-10% by clothes, 35%+ by blade and 25%+ by trap) for 3 normal pips is usually good enough to be significant.

<sorry, forgetting the exact boosts on these shields and traps>

Survivor
Jan 26, 2009
I can only speak for myself, but for me the other spells are simply to augment your current school spell. for instance. I am a 46 Myth/Life, i picked that because while as a soloer with myth, i dont get a long time to kill thing with the hp being low and dps also not great. So, i can either go dps (fire storm etc) or live longer and be more useful to groupmates. so i went life. It all depends on what you like.

Survivor
Mar 10, 2009
Well I can say that since i have hit level 15 I have used nothing but my Myth and my second school is Thunder (which as we know is great Damage) but i find it is easier to summon a minion (if i need help) Cast traps and such and even if the mob is the same level, by the time all the shields and traps get used a simple cyclops and sometimes a very simple troll will kill things.

Survivor
Apr 10, 2009
I am life, and i think second schools are not as important as they seem when you first consider them. The cost in pips makes the highest spells pretty hard to consider, since you'd probably be better off using power pips and your main school.

Survivor
Apr 18, 2009
I agree to this as well, I am a Ice/Life/Balance 47 Wizard myself. Like many others I don't longer use any attacks just the utility spells from my secondary and third school (Regen, Heal, Weakness, Absorb Armor, etc)

It's enormous to learn secondary or third school considering the pip cost if your going for 4 pips or more. Casting a 4 pip Life (I really wanted the Treant 3pip cost but its quest only) or Balance card for me would take at least 6 power pips.

There is a point in learning others schools, but like i said its just for the utility spells.

Survivor
Apr 15, 2009
americ1977 wrote:
I agree to this as well, I am a Ice/Life/Balance 47 Wizard myself. Like many others I don't longer use any attacks just the utility spells from my secondary and third school (Regen, Heal, Weakness, Absorb Armor, etc)

It's enormous to learn secondary or third school considering the pip cost if your going for 4 pips or more. Casting a 4 pip Life (I really wanted the Treant 3pip cost but its quest only) or Balance card for me would take at least 6 power pips.

There is a point in learning others schools, but like i said its just for the utility spells.

This Americ dude has it exactly right. Training points are best used for utility spells, and even then how useful they are depends on the class. For example, my current wizard is Death, and Death is already a very solid school, which doesn't really need anything from any other school. My reaper often heals for well over 1,000, so I don't need heals. I already have feint, being Death school. Prisms, of course, take care of Death bosses.

In fact, I didn't use any of my training points until I got to Dragonspyre. I then trained Ice high enough to use tower shield, which comes in handy for lightning bosses. 1,000 damage krakens are no fun. However even then, I don't find much use for it against other schools. My damage is boosted against Balance, Death, and Life schools, allowing me to out heal the damage taken. Ice and Myth never do enough damage as it is, and Fire enemies often waste their pips on spells like fire elf and meteor, before getting to the high damage helephants and such.

I 'could' train the shields from the balance tree in Krokotopia, but I would never end up using them. I don't even keep curse in my deck anymore, as it already takes too long to cast all the shields. I find it more effecient to keep sending out 2,000+ damage reapers every three rounds, than spending like 10 rounds just to get all the shields up and get a 4,000+ damage reaper.

The spells that I'd say every class should have is this:

- current high damage class spell (Wraith, Centaur, Helephant, so on) class blades, and class traps. All covered by just training your free class spells.

- Feint, from death school. +70% is just too good to ignore.

- Access to healing spells. This can either be from Life, Death, or items.

- Tower Shield, from Ice or items. -50% to all schools is so much more convenient than trying to cast the other -% damage spells. I wouldn't even say this is 'needed' as much as healing spells or feint, but it really does come in handy when soloing the higher health bosses in DS. Cutting a 1,000 damage attack in half is equivalent to a 500 point heal, without using any pips. I wouldn't worry about it too much before DS, as bosses and enemies usually stick to the lower rank spells, and it is less effective then.

This is also the reason why many players will suggest picking up Death school as secondary (unless it is the main school, of course), because doing so gives you Feint and heals all in one.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
If a spell normally costs zero pips or one pip, then when casting it, it doesn't matter whether it is in your primary school. Try taking useful skills outside your primary school that cost zero pips or one pip.

Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
personally I think they might want to add different spells that you can buy for your training points..

so far it seems most pick the same utility spells because well there nice..

What I would want personally is to be able to pick a few spells and make them your main school.. Like when enemies cast a fire thunder shark or the ice elf damage over time...

would be kinda neat to add some personal flavor to your own school....

Survivor
May 02, 2009
I have seen a lot of people mention their reasoning while fighting monsters or bosses. What about in the arena? Does this logic still hold true, that non-utility secondary spells are a waste?

Is there a certain structure 'anyone' should follow, regardless of their school? Such as if not death, get enough death for feint, if not ice get enough ice for tower shield, if not life get enough life for Satyr, etc.

Like where is the cutoff, how many total training points do we get? What are the things people should get for sure, or avoid for sure?

I am mainly interested in the arena combat, the bosses and monsters are just the path to the end goal.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I have written a reply a long time ago about my idea of PvP/Arena.

What I have realized is that shields can end up making or breaking a battle. Before I had REALIZED that Wizard101 added the option of refunding your training points, I DELETED my level 45 Storm Wizard.

The reason? I had spend a training point learning Centaur. As almost all people said before me, having spells from another school ends up being rather inefficient, and you'll have it in your spell library collecting dust.

In arena, I have noticed that most people go for the attack strategy. They attack HARD, and aim for the one or two shot. They apply blades, traps, and then even more blades and traps from other schools, and from their items. All of which will STACK.

Now, if you think about it... how can you prevent that kind of massive damage, which only becomes inevitable when you fight in the arena? Shields. A player before me posted about the Tower Shield from the Ice school. You do have to spend a few training points to get it, and you'll have a shield that works against ANY school, that protects you from 50% of any damage.

My strategy, or future strategy, will be shields. I will buy the individual shield, and the dual shields from the different schools, so I can be covered from every element, *except balance, I would not be too sure whether I had enough points for the Tower Shield.*

That way, a fully buffed up 4000+ damage spell would only do like 500 points of damage, and in order to get rid of them shields, people would actually have to use their pips for low hitting attacks, making it longer to charge up for those high powered attacks.

I never actually tried it out in arena, I will wait until I finish Dragonspyre first, but that is the strategy I am set on using. (If you look on the roster, you can see which schools you'll face in a duel, improvising your deck to counter any possible attacks from those schools.)

Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
your second and third school canbecome almost essential. i am in marlybone and the enemies, bosses, and others, have incredible defenses against their own element, this also works against them for their rival element. My Ice/Storm wizard wouldn't have gotten as far as it has without the help of another class