Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Heck Hound Damage Problem

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 11, 2008
Today, I was in Nimah the Wicked's and before I went I calculated that if I had 6 pips. I would be able to cast Heck Hound and by 3 rounds Nimah would die. When she first got hit, it did the damage of only 2 pips ( 240 ). Why is this happening? It was supposed to be 720 each round.

Destiny MistGem
lvl35

Destiny MistFist
lvl9

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
I believe that the damage per pip on this spell, like all the DOT spells, is divided by the number of rounds. Hound, at 120 damge per pip, at 6 pips, is 720 total damage, or 240 per turn.

Explorer
Sep 02, 2008
Yep Dorrisa is right.

They should just say 40 points of damage per pip, per round for 3 rounds total. Maybe that is even more confusing?

Explorer
Sep 11, 2008
MikeStrath wrote:
I believe that the damage per pip on this spell, like all the DOT spells, is divided by the number of rounds. Hound, at 120 damage per pip, at 6 pips, is 720 total damage, or 240 per turn.

Yes, but shouldn't they mark that the spell is a DoT spell? I mean it specifically says on the card " 120 fire damage per pip over 3 rounds ".
That is pretty much saying like if you use this # of pips it will do the damage that is calculated on every round. ( sorry if that seems confusing, I can't really think of a better way to explain it ) Doesn't it? Maybe they should re-word the sentence on the Heck Hound, Storm Hound, and the other DoT spells.

Destiny MistGem

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
I have found that the damage per pip is around 80-120. Storm at the top end (and sometimes exceeding this), ice and life towards the bottom, etc. Most DoT extend this range upwards a touch.

Heckhound is a strange DoT as it doesn't have a small initial attack, and is variable. Most, like fire elf, are fixed.

The trouble with DoT is that while boosted by blades, spells like Feint only boost the first attack...so the need for a bit higher dam/pip.

My Death wizards love the poison spell, cheap at 4 pips, and can be boosted by death blade and spirit blade...serves the <insert your own opinion here> life mages for putting up Death shields.

Explorer
Sep 11, 2008
It is strange, but you're saying that I wasted 2 months of money for the cloak!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Now I only have to get it back for 808. THIS IS A RIP OFF!

I should of just bought the one with helping hands. :(

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
Dorrisa wrote:

Yes, but shouldn't they mark that the spell is a DoT spell? I mean it specifically says on the card " 120 fire damage per pip over 3 rounds ".
That is pretty much saying like if you use this # of pips it will do the damage that is calculated on every round. ( sorry if that seems confusing, I can't really think of a better way to explain it ) Doesn't it? Maybe they should re-word the sentence on the Heck Hound, Storm Hound, and the other DoT spells.

I disagree with that. If the spell were designed to deal 120 damage per turn per pip, it would probably say 120 per pip each round for three rounds. If they were going to change the damage, then the accuracy should go down. I don't like the idea of getting better accuracy and better damage than storm.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
120 damage per pip per round for 3 rounds would be 360 base damage per pip, before any boosts are added. That would be insanely overpowered, as the norm is about 100 damage per pip before any boosts.

Explorer
Sep 11, 2008
ShadowTwisted wrote:
Dorrisa wrote:

I disagree with that. If the spell were designed to deal 120 damage per turn per pip, it would probably say 120 per pip each round for three rounds. If they were going to change the damage, then the accuracy should go down. I don't like the idea of getting better accuracy and better damage than storm.

NO, NO, you're not understanding, I said that is what it says on the card right now. What I meant is to change the words on the DoT cards to make it clearer. Not the damage.

Do you understand what I am saying now, ShadowTwisted?