Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Other Wizards Jumping In On Your Fight WithOut OK'

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 22, 2009
I think that this should be fixed. If your in a battle, there should be a pop up that ok's that someone else jumps in. I hate it when im fighting and someone jumps in, which adds more enemy, then just leaves! Or... they stand there watching then jump in at the very end of the match not really helping. Thats my 2 cents today. Thank You for reading.

Survivor
Apr 24, 2009
I don't agree with the OP...at all. I think the system of open ended grouping is fantastic. I am NOT a grouper. In any other game (99% of my game pay is solo and I like it that way. Here I group a lot..just to have fun fighting as a group...get some xp and nice loot.It's one of the signiture features of the game and should not be changed.

Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
HI, I too like playing MMOs minus the MMO part.

Really, just switch realms til you find one that has the least populated area you are currently playing in. Problem solved otherwise, don't bother playing online games if you are going to QQ about the online part.

Survivor
Feb 28, 2009
There seems to be a nasty streak in some people. They jump into a fight just long enough to draw a monster, then flee, leaving you to fight the extra monsters by yourself. I was almost killed the other day when this happened to me twice in the same battle.

I think the game should continue to allow people to jump into a fight at any time, but the penalty for fleeing and abandoning a fellow wizard in a fight should be very heavy. For example, maybe you should loose one item in your backpack every time you flee from a battle in which other wizards are still fighting. Even better - after pressing the flee button, the other wizards in the battle get a pop up asking their permission for you to leave the battle. If they give permission, you can flee with no penalty. If they DON'T give permission and you flee anyway, one of the items in your backpack goes to one of the wizards still in the battle. (If they don't answer your request to flee within 30 seconds, the game assumes that they DID give permission.)

Another possibility is that people who flee get stuck with an embarrassing badge that they can't change for 24 hours. Something like "Scaredy Cat Cry Baby" or "Master Wimp". Also, everybody on their friends list gets an alert that they abandoned a fight. (It gives people a chance to take these pranksters off their friends list.)

Survivor
Dec 07, 2008
Maybe they could do something to accommodate the guys who do not like grouping. Possibly making a server that is marked "solo play" and have the encounters single character only but no other changes. That way the solo players get what they want.

Community Leader
grieversloth wrote:
...don't bother playing online games if you are going to QQ about the online part.

Wow, harsh.

However, the OP has a valid point. Not everyone wants to play in a group every time one signs on. And even if a person is in the mood for some group play, the simple courtesy of asking before jumping in would be a refreshing change.

Survivor
Apr 15, 2009
Xakery3 wrote:
Another possibility is that people who flee get stuck with an embarrassing badge that they can't change for 24 hours. Something like "Scaredy Cat Cry Baby" or "Master Wimp". Also, everybody on their friends list gets an alert that they abandoned a fight. (It gives people a chance to take these pranksters off their friends list.)

I love this Ideal only it should stay on for a week and it builds up each time they do it like first one is Sacredy Cat then if they do it again its Cry Baby then if they do it a third time they become Master Wimp once your a Master Wimp you can not PVP until your badge is removed.

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
There is a large problem I can see with this theory of having a special can't be removed badge for those that flee.

My niece is a perfect example. My brother sets very exact computer time limits. End of story if your time is up, too bad, you exit, or lose your time for a certain number of days. So she once in a while flees because she simply can't finish the battle. She's not being rude, she's just following her dad's rules.

I, myself, as a mother of a child, sometimes get into a battle, and discover something has come up that takes me away from the computer. I do apologize to those I'm "grouped" with, but I do flee. Real life trumps this or any other computer game any day of the week.

Plus, what is there to stop a person from doing that over and over? So they have the badge. If they are ornery enough, they'll just do it anyhow, not caring that they have that badge, and some may view it as a badge of honor.

I agree it's frustrating when a person jumps in, then flees, leaving you with 2 or 3 monsters instead of the 1 or 2 that you are fighting. It's very annoying, and they are rude if their only purpose was to try to mess you up. But I don't see how there can logically be much done that doesn't punish the innocent people who dont' intend to do it, and I dont' see how it would stop those that do it on purpose.

Explorer
Mar 28, 2009
It's too bad there's no offset so that people could port to you and not HAVE TO join your battle. Or at least a few seconds warning that so-and-so is coming to visit you so you could warn them off.

I removed a friend who fled too often after jumping into my battles, but he was also rude about it. I would not have a problem if they said bye or excused themselves for lack of mana or whatever. Anyone who repeatedly flees without explanation is no friend to have.

Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
This is the very reason I have 0 people on my friends list..

I was overly bothered by people just popping up not invited or asked to join..

I think for friend teleporting you should have an acceptence box to have your friend teleport to you..

Random fights in the open are fine for people to jump in.. just at times you will have jerks... same for any MMO

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
Well, I can say sometimes I prefer to be by myself and have certain strategies I like to use in such situations. It isn't that extra people really bother me, but it brings something extra to the table.

As far as penalties for fleeing, I don't go for it. A few times I had to flee to either reset my deck or restore mana and came BACK to the battle as soon as I accomplished what was needed. Of course, I explain what I'm doing before I leave and assure that I will come back. Except in one case in which I was with someone who could only use menu chat. I felt bad, but was able to apologize when I came back.

About the only thing I could suggest is an optional "lock" feature for the first person in a battle. They could have the option to lock the battle, causing a bubble to appear around the battle so that no one else can enter and any friend that tries to port in would get the message that their friend is busy.

Survivor
Feb 28, 2009
"Battle jumpers" are people who join a fight, draw an additional monster, then flee. As I said in my previous post, the developers need to create more sever consequences for battle jumping. I have some ideas for how we could differentiate between battle jumpers and people who flee for less nasty reasons.

Below is my revised idea.

- The punishment would only go into effect for people who abandoned others in a fight THREE TIMES within the same day.

- If there are no other LIVING wizards still fighting that battle, then you can flee without a strike against you.

- If you are dead, there would be no consequence for fleeing.

- The possibility of punishment would only kick in for people who joined others in a battle already in progress, drew a monster, then fled. If you are the one who initiated the battle, then you can flee without consequence even if other wizards have joined your battle. (Amnesty for the first circle.)

- If you did NOT draw an additional monster before fleeing, no strikes against you.

- People who port into a battle would never be punished for fleeing. (Better yet, the game developers could make it so that you don't automatically join a battle that you have ported into. A pop up saying "Join the battle? YES or NO" might appear after you port.)

I'm not particularly concerned about what form the punishment would take. I still think that giving these pranksters an embarrassing badge would provide a warning to others so they could shun the offender and remove them from the friends list.

However, docking gold or possessions would work for me as well. Most other games I've played DO have more severe consequences for fleeing, regardless of intent, so I don't think it's unreasonable to create consequences in Wizard101.

Survivor
Apr 22, 2009
When that happens to me (or rather, when that's done to me), I simply remind myself that there are really no penalties for being defeated, apart from some lost time. I'm not condoning the practice, and if there were a fair way to prevent it, I'd be all for it... but in the meantime, I just grin and bear it, since "dying" here isn't really all that big a deal.

Then again, I'm new to the game, so maybe the lost time is a much bigger deal further on.

Survivor
Jun 26, 2008
Horrible idea, your fight isn't a private party =\

If you want something private, get a single player game XD

When ppl jump in, get to know them and you could find yourself a new friend

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
I'm strongly against the amnesty for first circle idea, as well.

I've been given a task/quest, and gone out to look for whatever monster I have to attack. I see someone in a battle with the monster I need, and join in. A few times that person who initiated the battle first has then fled, but only after the addition of an additional monster. Leaving me with 3 monsters to handle.

It comes down to a simple fact. Some people feel the game is theirs. The monsters are theirs alone. That they, and only they, have the right to that particular monster at that time. It's no different then those who feel the need to claim specific monsters for their own, and get upset if anyone else attacks them when more then one wizard is in a battle.

This is a game that allows, and in some aspects, encourages, wizards to help other wizards. Very few wizards I've come across are intent on ruining your game for you, they simply want to help further themselves, and you at the same time.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
my punishment is they randomly pick a card from fleeing person deck and say they cant use it for 2 hours at first second time 6 hours 3 time 12 hours and 24 hours for 4 times :)

Survivor
Apr 21, 2009
Guthix wrote:

The only problem with this is:

Said player that "jumped in" flees the battle (and always had the intent to flee the battle) right after the added monsters join in the fight (the ones that are dragged in to even out the battle).

You can't make friends with someone who doesn't want to make friends and is simply out to try to grief other people.

On another note:

The ideas about the "this monster is mine and only mine and no other wizard can attack it". I don't mind other people attacking my monster:

I just get a little upset when I put a debuff on the monster for say, Myth type damage, and have the express intent (and it shows the card and target) to use a powerful (Three-Pip) card to wipe the monster out, and someone before me in the turn order goes "Oh! Debuff!" and wipes out his 1-pip Blood-bat that he got from the wand he has equipped.

Just a little annoying.

Survivor
May 03, 2009
what if instead of penalizing the jumper, you have a setting on the options that will not allow others to join your battle. That way if you want others in no problem and if you don't want people to join you, go solo, that's done. True it doesn't keep people from jumping when you allow it, but that's the danger of an MMO.
Also I would agree with a few statements before, if you truely want to play solo why are you on an MMO ? not trying to be mean or harsh, but grab your PS3 or your X-Box and play solo. I for one play a Massive MULTYPLAYER game so I can play with people. but thats just me.

Blays

Survivor
May 02, 2009
Eventually what it breaks down to is this: It's a Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game..if you're looking for a single player game there are a massive amount of them out there to play.

If you don't want people jumping in out your battles in a MMO then play games that have locked combat like Everquest 2, Matrix Online, Final Fantasy Online and so on;there are other options out there,but in those games you're required to group with others at higher levels if you want to survive.

You're not obilgated to fight what they pull as you have a 'flee' button as well, use it if you have too.

No MMO system is perfect and enacting a type of punishment because somebody leaves a fight is just silly because of the amount of different circumstances that do happen in real life.

Survivor
Apr 12, 2009
I completley agree with the first guy. Jumping into a fight is SOOOO annoying. :? I don't agree with the fact that he wants a new system. Can you imagine how much that would cost?? They would definatley have to raise a lot of our purchases. And that would be bad for some families. But i still agree that people shouldn't do it!

Survivor
Apr 28, 2009
It is no argument that this is a MMORPG. I have no Problem with Group playing, in fact its the reason to play that kind of games, but the problem is as already said that the persons sometimes only want to draw another monster and flee or something that disturbs me are total uncommunicative, they do not say hello or something, they come they go, thats no group game for me. One problem is that many persons are not able to use normal text chat and i wonder why? does this always mean they are younger than 13?
I really see a little problem in this game with the communication, it suffers under the high restrictions that are, of course, not without reason but often they arent helpful,
greetings
Duncan OwlHeart

Survivor
Feb 28, 2009

I love it when people join my battle. I don't think they should have to ask my permission. I never get mad when people use the traps I throw up. Even if I am one round away from finishing off the last monster, I welcome anyone who joins me as long as their intentions are honest.

It's not the JOINING, it's the DITCHING that annoys me. It's the fact that some people purposefully wait outside the battle circle until it's almost over. Then when I'm at my weakest, they draw a monster and immediately flee (often with a snide remark like "bye stew pit"). Tell me again how I should simply get to know them better?

This is probably turning into a bigger deal than it needs to be. It's just that KI is so careful to make this a safe, friendly environment for kids, and it's a shame that some people find ways to be bullies anyway.

Survivor
Jun 12, 2008
I brought up this issue in beta, again when the game was released and just recently on another board. While I like the open group mechanics, I'd love to see an option screen toggle that let's you "lock down" a group. There's been several times I've been knocked out due to somebody jumping in on a battle at the very end, when I'm weak, only to pull in more monsters. It's even worse when they do so and then flee (they may have been pulled in accidentally or they may have done so maliciously, I don't know).

Some might say "But there's no death penalty - what's the big deal?". In the grand scheme of things, it really isn't a big deal, but there are several factors to consider:

* Time - sometimes I login for just a little bit of time and I want to feel like I accomplish something. Dying due to some other player makes my short time playing less enjoyable.
* Time - even if I continue playing after dying, I need to get back up to full and run back to where I was (prior to the new recall system)
* Quests - this is a big one for me - quest fulfillment isn't complete until the battle is over. Likewise, rewards aren't granted until the battle is over. There's no partial credit. So, if I've just killed two mobs in order to complete a quest and end up dying because somebody jumped in, I don't get the credit. Fleeing isn't an option, because I won't get the credit if I flee. It's a no-win situation that basically forces you to grind more quest mobs.
* Friends - sometimes you just don't want to play with anybody. You might want to play, in general, but you don't necessarily want folks jumping in and you might not want friends teleporting to you. Locking down your battle circle would let you play how you wanted to when you want to.

While I'd love to see more specific group mechanics, in general, I think a simple toggle to lock down a battle circle is a pretty good fix. No pop-up necessary.

~Ripper

Survivor
Mar 22, 2009
Nice to see that im not the only one that feels this way.... but I think some of you have not seen it the right way. Im not saying I want this to be a 1 man game. My problem is when someone jumps in the fight with the intention of not staying. Making it harder on me or whoever. Ive played plenty of MMO's and I know its part of the game. Still doesnt make it right or a reason not to try to fix it. If you jump in and fight... fine, I can look past the not asking part but when you jump in... 2 secs after draggin in another enemy to fight then you leave. Thats my prob. Some say maybe they had to leave. Maybe... but this has happend a few times to many that when i go to the commons and see this person running around? NO! Not right. Right there shows they had one thing in mind..... to mess with you and make the game harder. I'm a parent and know that there are a lot of kids playing this game and to them doing this is funny. All I wanted to do was get it off my chest and see if I was alone. I see that im not. Thank You.

Survivor
Feb 26, 2009
I totally agree with you on that. Especially when they join then leave, thats just plain rude. It makes it even worse when you dont have a lot of health left. I believe that something should be done about this.

Sincerely,
Blaze HexHunter