Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

pass every other turn?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 26, 2012
I get upset I have to pass every other turn I have alot of spell points but they get to use there spell but when it it my turn I cant use a spell and have to pass I could of won alot if I did not have to pass.Why cant I use a spell to cast? I am level 32 have 26percent.let me know please?

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
A couple tips that might help:

- Load up your deck with blades and traps (shields). Get familiar with them. They take zero pips to cast, so they are a better option than just "passing".

- If you aren't sure what some of your spells do, experiment on some easy enemies. Then you can make good decisions on what spells are good to include in your spell deck, and which spells are useless to you.

- Get a decent wand(s). Casting a wand spell (at a non-trapped enemy) is better than just "passing". I always carry two wands.

- During battle you can "right-click" on spells that you want to discard from your hand. On the next round new cards from your deck get placed in your hand. Think of the battle as a card game, because that is all it is.

- Make sure your deck has sufficient cards if your strategy (like mine) is to regularly discard cards so you can get what you want in your hand.

- Make sure you have treasure cards loaded in your deck. As a worst case scenario in case you empty your deck!

- Before jumping into battle (especially big boss battles) look at the enemy and the schools they belong to. You can carry more than one spell deck, and you can equip your most suitable deck prior to engaging battle. Same with your wand. My wizard is death school, so I carry two decks: a general purpose deck and a specific deck for death school enemies.

*** It took me a while to learn this, but now I always look before I leap into a big boss battle! Not only can your choices help you win, it can help shorten the long drawn out battle so you can move on quicker.

There are lots of battle strategies and it likely depends on your wizard school. I hope this helps.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
brettdy63 wrote:
I get upset I have to pass every other turn I have alot of spell points but they get to use there spell but when it it my turn I cant use a spell and have to pass I could of won alot if I did not have to pass.Why cant I use a spell to cast? I am level 32 have 26percent.let me know please?

Hey there~ I'm going to assume that this is your first wizard and that you're talking about power-pip chances here. Diego the Duelmaster gave a tutorial on this at the beginning, back when you were level 5-6ish, and I'll repost it here for you:

Power Points (pips) are the glowing balls by your feet, and there are two kinds: a normal pip is white, while a Power Pip is yellow.

Each spell has a pip cost, indicated by a number in the top-left corner of the spell-card. For example, the 1 beside a Frost Beetle means that it's a Rank 1 spell, and requires one pip to cast.

Power Pips (the yellow ones) count double, for your school of focus ONLY. This means that, if you have a power pip, you can cast a Rank 2 spell from your own school, or a Rank 1 spell from any other school.

^^^

I'm guessing that this is your issue, since it's where most new players run into problems~ they think that Power Pips count double for every school's spells, which isn't the case, and don't understand why their secondary-school cards are greyed out, even though they "have the pips to cast" (when, in fact, they don't).

For example: if you are a Life wizard, you can cast a Centaur for 3 Power Pips (6 pips total, but Power Pips count double for your school only). If you are NOT a Life wizard, you would need 6 pips to cast that same spell, because it is not from your school of focus.

But wait! There's more!

You can use Power Pips for off-school spells, but you'll need to buy a school Mastery Amulet from the Crowns shop. Most PvE players generally don't need them, though they are something of a vanity/status symbol (and a requirement, if you're a Balance wizard) in ranked PvP. These cost about $20 apiece, though, so choose wisely*.

*they can also be gained as drops in some level 60+ dungeons, but are extremely rare... as in, your chances of getting struck by lightning twice are probably higher.

-

Power Pip chances also increase with level~ depending on what gear she's wearing, my level 80 wizard has a 95-117% chance of getting a yellow pip. Pip boosts are available from pets, gear, and other equipment found around the Spiral, and may vary, depending on your school.

Hope this helps!

El Veeb
the Archmage of Awesomeness :)

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Perhaps I misunderstood you question. If spell points you mean the glowing pips, know this: Normal pips are white. Power Pips glow yellow and count as two pips for spells of your own school only, otherwise they only count as one pip. Well there are some exceptions to this but whatever.

So if you can't cast a spell because its grey and unselectable make sure you have enough pips (and mana).

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
Give your deck more lower pip cost cards, Get yourself more power pip % gear, Also be patient everyone passes at times because the deck is chance.

Explorer
Jan 31, 2011

You can use Power Pips for off-school spells, but you'll need to buy a school Mastery Amulet from the Crowns shop. Most PvE players generally don't need them, though they are something of a vanity/status symbol (and a requirement, if you're a Balance wizard) in ranked PvP. These cost about $20 apiece, though, so choose wisely*.

*they can also be gained as drops in some level 60+ dungeons, but are extremely rare... as in, your chances of getting struck by lightning twice are probably higher.
Hope this helps!

El Veeb
the Archmage of Awesomeness :)

I've gotten a myth mastery amulet, and never struck by lightning.

Anyways, with passing every round you need to LOAD UP with blades and traps. In a battle with a boss I spend probably at least 10 turns loading up. I have gear that gives me the cards and just the cards. Think about buying the elemental blade (+35% fire, storm, and ice) and just keep searching around for ways.

Evan: The finally archmage life