Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Training. Ugh.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 09, 2011
Ok, so in the game, you need pets to help you. To get good pets, you need to hatch. To hatch, you need to raise your pet through minigames. However, those minigames are BORING. :( Maze Game was fun, for a little. Dance Game and Cannon Game are too hard. Gobbler Drop's physics only sometimes work, unless it's with anvils and bombs, when they always do. And, to get good talents, you need to level your pet, just to find a bad talent, and have to hatch, rinse, and repeat. And, on top of that, you need to get 1000xp to level from Ancient to Epic, just for a 4th talent! 500xp is reasonable, but 1000? Also, a new "Mega" level is coming out. 2000xp? Definitely not! Also, the new minigames are just a sloppy obstacle course (that's way too hard ) and an Angry Birds clone with the broken Cannon Game physics. (although it isn't that bad)

What do i think should happen? Well, I think that either minigames should be exciting and well made, as well as replayable to the point where you can get from baby to mega and not get bored, or forget minigames entirely. I think instant leveling would be a last resort, but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Connor Wildpants Level 57 Necromancer

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
A few things:
If you thought the stretch to epic was tough. Look how much you need for mega in the new test realm updates.
If you find these pet games boring, look at the new minigames in test realm, one of them is EXTREMELY entertaining! (Although tedious and may make you ragequit, LOL) Dance game takes practice and memory recognition. If you need pet snacks (thank you preview, I almost typed pet snakes LOL) you can farm for Deadly Helephant Ears or Evil Magma Peas. They give mega pet snacks at elder. If those are to troubling for you (they do take a great deal of farming, not even one a day sometimes O_O) Prickly Bear Cactus's and Red Grapes of Wrath give megas. (Prickly's arent guarrenteed even at elder but have a really low chance at mature, Red Grapes only give at elder, but are guarrenteed)

Survivor
Apr 09, 2011
One, I find the Epic grind so long that I've never gotten an epic pet, not even halfway. But you're right, I should get some Prickly Bears or Red Grapes (I also have one Deadly Helephant :D ), and when i get to Avalon I'll get Magma Peas. Thanks.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
Pet training can be time consuming, but with Evil Magma Peas it really is not that difficult. Have so far gotten two drops of them in Avalon (ogre and the dragon) so they do seem to be dropping at a decent rate. I bought my peas with crowns, but now I can populate another wizard's garden with peas that I get as drops.

I will take issue with your characterization of the cannon game. The physics actually work out quite well. Even the wind drift magnifies for the further distances. I shoot a lot in real life, and the wind correction is spot on. Also, the further you are from the target, the larger a correction each click makes, due to the MOA (minute of angle) correction.
Stick with the cannon game, because once you get the hang of it, you will get the 4 xp every single time.
I look forward to the new pet level, as I need another talent to make up for the lack of all around gear boosts at high levels.
Good Luck!
That reminds me, I gotta replant my garden.
pods

Survivor
Apr 17, 2009
Don't worry, soon there will be two more games to keep you occupied and a new rank as well

Survivor
May 16, 2009
I completely agree with you. It is so tedious, and now a new rank for 2,000 exp? That is INSANE! It took me 5 days to get my wyvern from ancient to epic (although it was worth it, now my wyvern can cast sprite, iceblade, ice trap, and bumps my accuracy up to 95%!).

Also, the pet energy consumption is way to high. I loved it when it was a baby, needed only 125 exp and only cost 2 energy per play. Now, it is just too much. 8 energy and 80 total energy= Only 10 plays a day! Lets assume that you some mega snacks, about enough for 5 a day (that is a lot, though) and each gives an average of 30 exp. So in one day, 150 exp from mega snacks, and 30 exp from rank 6 snacks. 10 plays~ 35 exp if you play the games you are good at. So about 215 exp a day with 5 mega snacks per day!

To get to 2,000 exp, that would take at least 10 days! Thats assuming you have 50 mega snacks, and that they dont increase the energy cost to 16 (I dont have an epic on test realm, so I don't know, but it is most likely gonna take 20 days just to reach the new rank!)

Conclusion: it will take 2-3 weeks to level up your pet with a ton of mega snacks. That is way too long

Blaze Icecloud, Level 75 Ice

Defender
Nov 21, 2010
I am wondering how would you guys feel, training your pet to mega and get bad skill? Is it even worth the effort?

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
actually a trick to help level up faster or atleast get more energy for the pet is to make a new character and put the pet you want to level on it, then you just normally level it but you can also level your character up which refills the energy everytime and because your restarting it is very easy to do so. And you can play pet games about twice a day because you have less energy for a while but its works out even better if you are leveling your character and when you feel it is too hard just move the pet to a new oen and rinse and repeat

Survivor
Jun 28, 2012
hi :D i know how annoying and silly it can be when it comes to getting your pet to be older and it gets more difficult. but what i do is i play a game i enjoy for a while and if i get bored i start doing quests for a little :D . once i am done with a few i will finally go back and play another game for a while, and if you really really really really want to get you pet to grow up just keep playing and playing and playing . i know what your thinking "hey but what if i run out of energy? :| " no fret! (if you have crowns) you can buy more energy
Anna DragonFriend

Survivor
Apr 09, 2011
People have replied with something about crowns. That is why I'm stopping this game, because you NEED to pay silly amounts of money, or despair. I'm not grinding for hours to get my pets up and just hatch and get a new one that I have to farm for again.

P.S, I tried Red Grapes of Wrath. Not enough energy (I'm not wasting money or time refilling or leveling for more.)

Survivor
Jun 20, 2010
I agree we shouldn't be obligated to play the games to feed snacks. Why not allow more than 1 snack if you score well in the game? Like 3 for a win, 2 for a show and 1 to place?

I really don't want to pay the gardening mana either, but even that would be better than forced game play.

How about you throw in an ability to feed 1 snack after any combat in which you use that pet? Huh?

Or special quests with snacks to find that you can immediately consume.

Just sayin'

Survivor
Jun 28, 2012
HI my name is Anna DragonFriend, please DONT quit the game. there are so many things you can do besides things with crowns. Have quests, get pets and have friends. so far, my favorite game yet!! because its soooo fun and i have great friends, especially A boy named Daniel Frogrider(sending a shout out to him!! LOL). so please do not quit this game

thanks,
Anna DragonFriend

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
Pets are not a necessary component to the game. For those who are willing to put the time and effort in, they can hatch an 85 pedigree dark sprite with amazing abilities that can make a dungeon crawl a lot easier. For those that don't want to invest that much time and effort, you can go petless or buy a piggle.

I don't know of any pets a crown buyer can get that a non-crown buyer can't get. Hatching is the great equalizer there. As for pet snacks, very easy to get gardening or running mirror lake. Wizard101 has no cheat codes, that is one of the better features of online games, that the dedicated can enjoy the fruits of their labors and the lazy don't even get some cheese with their whine.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2011
Ever wanted to breed a pet and not had enough gold

Explorer
Mar 02, 2012
hazetrain on Aug 3, 2012 wrote:
Ok, so in the game, you need pets to help you. To get good pets, you need to hatch. To hatch, you need to raise your pet through minigames. However, those minigames are BORING. :( Maze Game was fun, for a little. Dance Game and Cannon Game are too hard. Gobbler Drop's physics only sometimes work, unless it's with anvils and bombs, when they always do. And, to get good talents, you need to level your pet, just to find a bad talent, and have to hatch, rinse, and repeat. And, on top of that, you need to get 1000xp to level from Ancient to Epic, just for a 4th talent! 500xp is reasonable, but 1000? Also, a new "Mega" level is coming out. 2000xp? Definitely not! Also, the new minigames are just a sloppy obstacle course (that's way too hard ) and an Angry Birds clone with the broken Cannon Game physics. (although it isn't that bad)

What do i think should happen? Well, I think that either minigames should be exciting and well made, as well as replayable to the point where you can get from baby to mega and not get bored, or forget minigames entirely. I think instant leveling would be a last resort, but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Connor Wildpants Level 57 Necromancer
I think Dance Game is very fun to do. Also if you want to train your pet faster, you need to feed it the type pet food it is. As an example, I feed my Kraken which is storm Storm Pet food. You can tell what type of food it is where you tell what type of school spell a Spell is. I got my Kraken to Adult today by feeding it food that give 30-50 xp. I think I got those food from Waterworks and you can farm for Mega Snacks in Waterworks

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
HazeTrain said:
"Ok, so in the game, you need pets to help you...."

I don't believe this to be a correct statement. Certainly not from Wizard City -> Celestia. Pets may help a little, but you certainly do not need them. Pets generally give a very small advantage. Pets are a fun accessory, not gear.

If you expect an awesome perfect pet for your first wizard under level 60 you are apt to be disappointed. It takes time and gold. As your wizard grows towards archmage so does your favorite pet. Also many of the hurdles, such as access to gold and mega snacks. KI obviously designed the game this way, making certain items difficult to obtain over-night. Patience and perseverence is required. Eventually you get really good at shooting your pet out of a canon.

Also note that it is significantly faster to train a pet if your wizard is level 60+. As mentioned, access to gold and snacks.

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
It took me countless times in Mirror Lake to get my lifebat to ancient. I am still trying to get it to epic. My advice only works if you are level 80 or higher and are in Azteca. The bosses drop mega snacks a lot. Also, on one quest you get 4 mega snacks. I have about 11 total now. Trust me, all the time and effort it takes training your pet is worth it. My pet now has May Cast Stormblade, May Cast Sprite, and May Cast Unicorn. I'm hoping for spell proof and spell defy and epic and mega. If you have crowns, buy mega snack packs. They are totally worth it. I think you should be able to feed your pet more than once. Also, the new KIFREEGAMES game Grub Guardian lets you train your pet without being in the game, so try that

Sean Goldblood lvl 82 diviner and lvl 29 thermaturge.