Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Myth: A Guide For The Perplexed

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 17, 2008
Allow me to begin by stating that I am only at level 60 or so with my myth wizard. That being said, however, I have noticed that people miss the point of myth.

Most people complain about myth beginning in Mooshu. I found that myth started to really shine in Mooshu. They tell you that it's about PVP, or that it's about colossal + humongofrog + blades. Or, at worst, they tell you that it simply isn't viable at higher levels.

I'm writing this guide to tell you something different. Based on my experience and the lessons that I've learned, I'd like to share my play style with you. This isn't a point by point guide. I'm not going to tell you how many of each card to have in your deck, what gear to wear, what pet to raise, or what secondary school to learn.

This guide is about the philosophy behind the style that I employ.

The only other schools my myth character knows are star, moon and sun. And just barely. He is a myth wizard and I will -not- rely on other schools for damage.

I don't have colossal yet and I don't have a problem killing in Celestia (not even myth monsters; thank you prisms). I don't have waterworks gear and I am not dying left and right. My gear consists of the things that I've found in WinterTusk and the items bought at the bazaar. It's not extraordinary, but that's not relevant.

Myth is about control. You control the enemies and you control your minion. The flow of the battle is yours to dictate. When you want the monsters to stop attacking you, you subdue them. When you want them to attack your minion, you blade him so that his damage is enough to draw enemy fire. When you want them to lay off of your minion, you cast humongofrog or Orthrus and get their attention.

With a bit of outgoing+ healing from bazaar and wintertusk items, I can heal my minion for 550 life with a 1 pip spell. That's more than half of Talos' health total. With one 0 pip shield spell, I can protect Talos/Cyclops/Minotaur from 70% of ALL incoming damage.

I can boost my minions attack by 40% with a minion-only blade, then by 35% with a myth blade. With time of legend, I can add 25% more damage to his spells and, with a trap, another 25%. That's 125%. Talos will sometimes (quite often, I find) use "Hex" which adds 30% damage. 155% damage!

But why bother with a minions damage? Because my minions usually draw enemy fire and I want them to be able to kill the enemies. Preferably without me having to use even a single humongofrog myself.

When the enemy has focused on my minion, I have already won the battle. Now I have control over the enemy: I've told them that my minion is their target. And they can't disagree :)

With shields (the minion buff one), even 1000 damage can be reduced to a lousy 300 or less. I can heal that in no time flat. If I don't have that minion healing card in my hand, I can stun all the enemies (not bosses though :( at least not yet lol... hint, hint, KI!) with blinding light. If I want to speed things along or finish off a few weakened enemies, humongofrog is my go-to spell.

Sometimes the enemy will use area of effect (mutli-target) spells. In this case, my healing % is raised with a few items, a ring and an athame I think, so that I can cast pixie on myself and recover 850 life. This massive surge of life for low pip cost allows me more time and pips with which to heal my minion, stun the enemies, or recast shields on my minion.

Talos is an effective killer with his minotaur and humongofrog spells. The minotaur minion has real staying power, his own tower shields (so that, when combined with my minion shield spell, I can reduce the damage he takes by 120%!), sprite and some moderate attack spells. My cyclops minion (4 pip version for 700 health), has a good combination of attacks, traps and blades. If I ever need life, a quick living puppet and a sacrifice (only in emergencies!) will net me about 850 health.

Once in a while I will have to use a prism on the enemy or "shatter" their defenses. That is rare, though.

If the enemy is doing what I tell them to, how can I lose? It does happen occasionally. Usually in the case of severe criticals, being seriously outnumbered by foes, starting the battle with a terrible hand, or just plain not thinking and planning ahead on my part.

My goal is to, eventually, have NO attack spells in my deck at all and rely completely on minions and control. For now, however, I do use ninja pigs and humongofrogs sparingly.

That's about it! Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed learning about my specific play style. :)

Explorer
Apr 17, 2011
angelmage wrote:
Allow me to begin by stating that I am only at level 60 or so with my myth wizard. That being said, however, I have noticed that people miss the point of myth.

Most people complain about myth beginning in Mooshu. I found that myth started to really shine in Mooshu. They tell you that it's about PVP, or that it's about colossal + humongofrog + blades. Or, at worst, they tell you that it simply isn't viable at higher levels.

I'm writing this guide to tell you something different. Based on my experience and the lessons that I've learned, I'd like to share my play style with you. This isn't a point by point guide. I'm not going to tell you how many of each card to have in your deck, what gear to wear, what pet to raise, or what secondary school to learn.

This guide is about the philosophy behind the style that I employ.

The only other schools my myth character knows are star, moon and sun. And just barely. He is a myth wizard and I will -not- rely on other schools for damage.

I don't have colossal yet and I don't have a problem killing in Celestia (not even myth monsters; thank you prisms). I don't have waterworks gear and I am not dying left and right. My gear consists of the things that I've found in WinterTusk and the items bought at the bazaar. It's not extraordinary, but that's not relevant.

Myth is about control. You control the enemies and you control your minion. The flow of the battle is yours to dictate. When you want the monsters to stop attacking you, you subdue them. When you want them to attack your minion, you blade him so that his damage is enough to draw enemy fire. When you want them to lay off of your minion, you cast humongofrog or Orthrus and get their attention.

With a bit of outgoing+ healing from bazaar and wintertusk items, I can heal my minion for 550 life with a 1 pip spell. That's more than half of Talos' health total. With one 0 pip shield spell, I can protect Talos/Cyclops/Minotaur from 70% of ALL incoming damage.

I can boost my minions attack by 40% with a minion-only blade, then by 35% with a myth blade. With time of legend, I can add 25% more damage to his spells and, with a trap, another 25%. That's 125%. Talos will sometimes (quite often, I find) use "Hex" which adds 30% damage. 155% damage!

But why bother with a minions damage? Because my minions usually draw enemy fire and I want them to be able to kill the enemies. Preferably without me having to use even a single humongofrog myself.

When the enemy has focused on my minion, I have already won the battle. Now I have control over the enemy: I've told them that my minion is their target. And they can't disagree :)

With shields (the minion buff one), even 1000 damage can be reduced to a lousy 300 or less. I can heal that in no time flat. If I don't have that minion healing card in my hand, I can stun all the enemies (not bosses though :( at least not yet lol... hint, hint, KI!) with blinding light. If I want to speed things along or finish off a few weakened enemies, humongofrog is my go-to spell.

Sometimes the enemy will use area of effect (mutli-target) spells. In this case, my healing % is raised with a few items, a ring and an athame I think, so that I can cast pixie on myself and recover 850 life. This massive surge of life for low pip cost allows me more time and pips with which to heal my minion, stun the enemies, or recast shields on my minion.

Talos is an effective killer with his minotaur and humongofrog spells. The minotaur minion has real staying power, his own tower shields (so that, when combined with my minion shield spell, I can reduce the damage he takes by 120%!), sprite and some moderate attack spells. My cyclops minion (4 pip version for 700 health), has a good combination of attacks, traps and blades. If I ever need life, a quick living puppet and a sacrifice (only in emergencies!) will net me about 850 health.

Once in a while I will have to use a prism on the enemy or "shatter" their defenses. That is rare, though.

If the enemy is doing what I tell them to, how can I lose? It does happen occasionally. Usually in the case of severe criticals, being seriously outnumbered by foes, starting the battle with a terrible hand, or just plain not thinking and planning ahead on my part.

My goal is to, eventually, have NO attack spells in my deck at all and rely completely on minions and control. For now, however, I do use ninja pigs and humongofrogs sparingly.

That's about it! Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed learning about my specific play style. :)
first of all that was really really long! second is that i am also a myth wizard and for my medusa quest the minion helped me sooooo much and myth is also a really good school i love the minions though well thats all folks!
legendary conjurer adam battleblade

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Angelmage, I absolutely LOVE your passion that you have for your Myth wizard. It reminds me of when I had that much for my own.

My Myth wizard is now at level 80, and I am proud of him. However.... it bums me out knowing how much I had to change just to get there.

Not sure if you already do so, but if you wish to continue to be pro-minion (which I love!) stack up as much resist as you can on yourself, so you can survive easily while protecting and strengthening your minion.

Even if you do so now, the later worlds at Celestia+ will surely test your style.

Explorer
Sep 17, 2008
Thank you both for your kind words and support! :D

I am finding now that my gear is largely useless (I had went for damage, accuracy and critical - no longer viable with this play style) and need to get some resistance, health and critical block. I wouldn't mind some more +incoming/outgoing healing, either. I'm not able to focus on my minion like I should because I have to heal myself too often. For shame.

Celestia is definitely testing my play style, but I did manage to take down Unimatus (rank 10 myth boss) with Talos doing just about all the work. I focused on shields, prisms and blades and things went swimmingly. I'm pretty happy about that, but I'm also wary of what the future may bring. Particularly in Zafaria and Avalon.

I'm committed to making this work, though, and hope that I can overcome or critically out-think any problems that may arise.

There is one problem right now that I'm trying to tackle. My % to get a power pip is rather low, so getting Talos out (for 5 pips) in the beginning of round 2 can be tough and really hit or miss - I need luck with the draw as well as with the pips. But if I change my gear to include a higher power pip chance, what will I have to forgo? And, after I bring out Talos, most of my pips will be useless as the vast majority of support spells require 0-1 pips. lol

Thanks again for your guys' support! :)

Defender
May 31, 2011
My myth is at level 80 and has completed Avalon. She is my first and favorite wizard. I find myth is constantly evolving and requires much re-thinking and re-planning. Just when you think you have a strategy down, you have to re think it in the next world or even the next area of the same world. For me this is a plus not a drawback. I like having to power of being able to make my myth what ever I want her to be, whether that is a lead attacker to just a support role. Each person will need to find what style and path he or she most enjoy and can excel at. As far as minions go I found once I reached Wintertusk and Celestia they were not as helpful as before and the majority of the time I don't use them. Who knows, the next world may change that. That is one of the things I look forward to … evolving, changing.

One tip I would like to share and this can be true with all schools, but especially myth; when it come to the deck, less is better. You don’t need every spell. Put in a balance of heals, attacks, blades, shields, and traps. Invest 1 training point in training for reshuffle. In the few battle that go overly long, no problem, just shuffle your cards right back in.

Explorer
Sep 17, 2008
Thank you for the tip, safyrmoon! Up until now, I've been trying to keep a balanced deck. But now that I have all of the minions, I really want to test their capabilities. :D

I will keep a second deck around that is still more balanced, though, in case I want/need to switch styles as circumstances arise.